Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can a base '80 911SC be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nineeleven,

superchargers of knoxville did mine, but I see you are a bit far away to use those guys, besides, i think they sold out to air cooled classics. Anyway 911 and World magazine in UK did a full spread article on the entire package in feb 1998 if memory serves me correctly. That is what set me off on the trail. You could order the reprint and get the shops in UK that specialize in the setup. If that doesnt work out then do a search on air cooled classics. they have two sc options, paxton and whipple. I went with the paxton becasue it didn't require additional cooling, but the whipple is a bit faster, and price reflects it. Even with the paxton, the car was very hard to handle in 1st and 2nd as you reached redline much quicker than you would think. third gear was forever though and is where I spent most of my time. I sold that car and have regretted it ever since, the one in my avatar, also a full steel wide body conversion with stell boxed rockers. The wing was a bit more than I ended up liking, but it worked great and could be manually adjusted. It has been quite a while since i built that car and there may be even better setups now. At the time, i could handle any stock 930 without breathing hard. Unfortunately the only pics I have left are the paper copies I scanned in. I lost all of my digital pics when my hard drive crashed, so I can't provide any engine bay pictures. The paxton was on left side of engine bay and utilized one long serpentin e belt for everything. The kit came with all hardware to enable fitment with brackets belt air ducts etc. I hand polished everything for a really nice look. The impeller wore out once, so i had the opportunity to rebuild it myself. You wouldn't believe the size of the bearings. You couldn't even hear the SC until abour 4k RPMs and then it started as a high frequency whine and if you kept your foot in it, sounded like a jet engine at top end.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by David R. Schlegel
For what its worth, I'm selling a 99 Corvette hardtop which gets to 60 in about 4.5 sec.s and just bought an 82 SC euro spec. w/178500 miles on it , bone stock (204 hp euro). I was afraid I'd been spoiled by mucho torque & hp, but the funny little German car runs like stink - probably not much more than 5.5 seconds to 60, it feels like. It's been in the shop for 3 weeks for perf. exhaust, clutch, etc., and, for the 6 days I drove it before that, I became so enamored with it that I don't miss the muscle car at all. I've had a Sprite, Healey 100 - 4, 2 M.G.s, twin turbo rx7, etc. - this one's a keeper!!
Get that baby on the track and you'll feel even more enamoured. I love going deep into the corners with the muscle cars -

Quick Reply: Can a base '80 911SC be upgraded?