Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil sump plate drain plug drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 04:53 PM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Oil sump plate drain plug drain plug

1978 SC doing my first oil change on new to me 911. Bentley says 31 Ft-Lbs. Start turning the torque wrench.. that does not feel right.. Stopped. Grabbed my non torque wrench to see how it feels. It just turns. D@*#&!!
Now, question is, is there an aftermarket sump plate replacement that has a good reputation? Or stock?
I really was looking forward to going for a drive
Thanks in advance,
Mo
Old 07-05-2021, 05:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

yeah lots of billet plates but can be pricey, just grab a stock one, should be cheap, even a used one im sure would be fine

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...VSVSI=790&fs=0

i even have a spare in case that ever happens to me. worth 25 bucks just t have one on the shelf just in case, even if i replace it again later with a better one.

Last edited by theiceman; 07-05-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

So you are thinking that you overtorqued and stripped the threads on the plate? (You should know that you are not the first to do this.)
You can remove the plug again and drain the oil. (Up to you if you can catch it in a super clean bucket and reuse or not? Up to your comfort level in keeping the oil clean, etc.)
You can check the threads on the pan and the plug and see what has happened.
Pelican sells replacement for both.

Last edited by Igooz; 07-05-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Igooz
So you are thinking that you overtorqued and stripped the threads on the plate? (You should know that you are not the first to do this.)
You can remove the plug again and drain the oil. (Up to you if you can catch it in a super clean bucket and reuse or not? Up to your comfort level in keeping the oil clean, etc.)
You can check the threads on the pan and the plug and see what has happened.
Pelican sells replacement for both.
i would hope there is no oil in it yet , but tie a rag to the steering wheel in the meantime, always good to have that reminder.
The following users liked this post:
Igooz (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:09 PM
moburki
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
i would hope there is no oil in it yet , but tie a rag to the steering wheel in the meantime, always good to have that reminder.
I would have hoped I would know better too. I had a bad feeling after putting 4 qts in. That's when I double checked with a ratchet. I thought even though the torque wrench never clicked, I was calibrated enough to go with it. I'm glad I checked in retrospect. Would have been worse if that thing backed out on me.
So the URO plate is of adequate quality? I have had hit or miss with their parts in the past. Seems like a simple enough part to reproduce.
Anyone have a different torque spec for this plug (Bentley says 31ft-lbs)? Pretty thin plate. But, the thread is large diameter.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Mo
Old 07-05-2021, 08:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

iceman knows better than me...
And I am not buying/selling, but I have generally NOT had good luck with URO parts. Here is what Stoddard offers:

SIC10128600 Oil Sump Cover Plate Fits 911 90110128600 91110128600 (stoddard.com)
moburki (07-05-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by moburki
I would have hoped I would know better too. I had a bad feeling after putting 4 qts in. That's when I double checked with a ratchet. I thought even though the torque wrench never clicked, I was calibrated enough to go with it. I'm glad I checked in retrospect. Would have been worse if that thing backed out on me.
So the URO plate is of adequate quality? I have had hit or miss with their parts in the past. Seems like a simple enough part to reproduce.
Anyone have a different torque spec for this plug (Bentley says 31ft-lbs)? Pretty thin plate. But, the thread is large diameter.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Mo
Bentley looks right, the Little Spec Book says 42 newton-meters, which is 31 ft-lbs. I have to admit, I've never used a torque wrench on the drain plugs, just tightened until it felt like enough.

Mark
Old 07-06-2021, 01:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i think of it as an emergency spare other than a long term solution. I would pick up a used OE one eventually at a swap meet.

some things i don't even use a torque wrench . Ive been doing oil changes for over 40 years. one or two good ougha doughas is good for me.
moburki (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 02:02 PM
moburki
Pro

Same on the torquing oil drain plugs. But for some reason I was compelled to use a torque wrench this time. Won't happen again, I trust my well calibrated wrist..
Old 07-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Same on the torquing oil drain plugs. But for some reason I was compelled to use a torque wrench this time. Won't happen again, I trust my well calibrated wrist..
Nothing wrong with a good torque wrench. You may want to get your torque wrench inspected/recalibrated or upgrade to another.
And on the other hand, with these old cars, you may have had a gorilla work on it before you and had damaged the threads and you just did not know it. Was this the first time that you had tighten this particular oil pan plug?
Old 07-07-2021, 07:19 PM
moburki
Pro

Yup, first time. I think it may have been ham fisted previously. It was very, very tight. Either way, easy fix, luckily. I would have been heartbroken if it was in the case. Not a hard fix either, just can't make it new again. My torque wrenches are all good. New plate should be here tomorrow. Then, I can take it for drive with new blood. Oil looked good, but it was in there for a very long time.
Thanks again for the input,
Mo
Old 07-07-2021, 08:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Just to check, did you use the torque wrench near the middle of its range? Or at the extreme low end?
moburki (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup, first time. I think it may have been ham fisted previously. It was very, very tight. Either way, easy fix, luckily. I would have been heartbroken if it was in the case. Not a hard fix either, just can't make it new again. My torque wrenches are all good. New plate should be here tomorrow. Then, I can take it for drive with new blood. Oil looked good, but it was in there for a very long time.
Thanks again for the input,
Mo
This reminds me of my first oil change on my SC. I couldn't get the drain plug off the tank, so instead of making the usual mistake with a pan that was too small under the oil tank, I pulled off the S-hose and spewed oil all over the floor sideways.

The drain plug was on so tight I thought I was going to tear off the bottom of the l tank. I ended up having to use a Dremel to carefully cut between the drain plug and the washer. Sacrificed the drain plug, but once I cut through all the way around I was practically able to spin off the drain plug with my fingers. Luckily no damage to the threads or the sealing surface.

Mark
moburki (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:38 PM
moburki
Pro

Originally Posted by r911
Just to check, did you use the torque wrench near the middle of its range? Or at the extreme low end?
I have one wrench that puts 31 ft-lbs in the meat of it's range. 3/8 drive. Don't remember it's max off hand. I believe 75 ft-lbs before I switch to my larger wrench.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

ok, this bolt may have been damaged by a PO

I'd clamp something in a vise and hang a known wt. 1 or 2 ft. from the pivot to check the torque wrench tho
moburki (07-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil sump plate drain plug drain plug