Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Definitely! Working on computational optimization of the cooling fins today.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, what a cool piece of machinery! Now that you spent 250k on a machine, what influence is that going to have on the price of a case? I believe you originally estimated $5000 for a case.

I admire your persistence to making this happen.

Arthur
Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman
Wow, what a cool piece of machinery! Now that you spent 250k on a machine, what influence is that going to have on the price of a case? I believe you originally estimated $5000 for a case.

I admire your persistence to making this happen.

Arthur
What a great question and timely too. Honestly the machine itself won't have an effect on pricing. There is another factor, however, that will.

See, I have been approached more often than not by wholesalers rather than individuals. On my site, there is a interest card that can (and has) been filled out by individuals who want the case. So far I have about a hundred names of interested parties, all of them people. But in between those coming in, I have firm interest from a handful of businesses who want to resell the case all over the world. And those businesses are quantity buyers.

So the original project was to help Joe Blow get a single case for his 9XX, but it is really hard to ingnore Megacorp who wants to buy 10 of them.

So I have reached somewhat of a compromise internally.

I will offer up the first 40 cases at $5000. That should be enough cases to fulfill my promise to every individual that wants one. Probably what I will do is set up a preorder on my site in which interested people will have to prepay for the case in order to get a slot, so as to eliminate any flakiness that can result in just leaving your name with no money.

After those 40 are spoken for, the price goes up, mainly to accomodate dealer sales who need margin in there in order to resell the case, and most likely at that point I will become more of a wholesale operation and you will be able to buy the case from people like Pelican or whatever.

That is the trajectory that it is headed in,

So when I put out the word on the first 40 cases.....interested people if you are reading this......step up to the plate or you'll be buying it off someone else for more money.

It's a good compromise I think, but I welcome all opinions.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce

So when I put out the word on the first 40 cases.....interested people if you are reading this......step up to the plate or you'll be buying it off someone else for more money.
^
This is extremely generous.... I am in the day they become available.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
What a great question and timely too. Honestly the machine itself won't have an effect on pricing. There is another factor, however, that will.

See, I have been approached more often than not by wholesalers rather than individuals. On my site, there is a interest card that can (and has) been filled out by individuals who want the case. So far I have about a hundred names of interested parties, all of them people. But in between those coming in, I have firm interest from a handful of businesses who want to resell the case all over the world. And those businesses are quantity buyers.

So the original project was to help Joe Blow get a single case for his 9XX, but it is really hard to ingnore Megacorp who wants to buy 10 of them.

So I have reached somewhat of a compromise internally.

I will offer up the first 40 cases at $5000. That should be enough cases to fulfill my promise to every individual that wants one. Probably what I will do is set up a preorder on my site in which interested people will have to prepay for the case in order to get a slot, so as to eliminate any flakiness that can result in just leaving your name with no money.

After those 40 are spoken for, the price goes up, mainly to accomodate dealer sales who need margin in there in order to resell the case, and most likely at that point I will become more of a wholesale operation and you will be able to buy the case from people like Pelican or whatever.

That is the trajectory that it is headed in,

It's a good compromise I think, but I welcome all opinions.
Just a reminder - I raised my hand a year ago or so! LOL!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Catorce
Banned

Thank you guys for your emotional support. Rennlisters who have expressed an interest will get a $5000 case for sure even if we exceed 40. It's the least I could do for you guys, whom the project is REALLY for. Your interest has sustained me far past the point of any financial reason on this passion project!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Where do I send my money?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by n3rd
Where do I send my money?
Thank you!

New site goes online by week's end, then as soon as I can guarantee delivery windows for customer cases I'll start taking money. Not before then. Right now we are also setting up the preorder system so you can input your specs (spigot size etc) and process payment for the cases.

More updates soon!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply. I believe i signed up about a year ago. Anyways i am interested in buying 2 cases, I can make a downpayment or sent the amount in full NOW.

Arthur
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 AM
damon54
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe I signed up for info on your site , but I am also a long time interested Rennlister!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Catorce
Banned

Thank you both for your interest!

New website is up. Same interest form. IF YOU FILLED ONE OUT ON THE OLD SITE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILL IT OUT AGAIN! We already have your interest.

For those who have not filled it out, here is the place to do so:

https://www.taorminaracingdesigns.co...6-engine-case/ BOTTOM of page.

Please note that the interest card is just that - it is not a preorder form. The purpose of it is to state your interest so that when I am ready to actually take preorders I will use the interest cards to send an email blast. Then, interested parties who want to move forward will have to pay, and in exchange for that, will be assigned a numerical build slot. Just so there is no angst, here is how it will go step by step:

1. Filling out the interest card means you will be among the first to receive an email letting you know preordering is open.
2. The email will direct you to a dedicated preorder form which will ask you for most of the same information, but add to that cylinder spigot size and custom engraving of a number
3. You will then pay. Note that at this stage you may order more than one.
4. Based on the time and date of your order, you will be placed into a numbered queue and be given a build slot.
5. No, I won't allow horsetrading of build slots. The preorder will ask for full payment, and the only option is full refund. I don't have time to manage slot jockeying.

This is the most equitable way I can think of doing it. If anyone has any problems with this, now is the time to bring it to my attention, Oh, and thank all of you who have written me and tried to send me money. I am not taking your money right now because I cannot guarantee a delivery window. I am not comfortable holding your money just yet. I don't want to be one of those internet product guys that takes money and then doesn't deliver.

Right now I am answerable only to myself. After I take your money, you are my customer and I am answerable to you, so I am trying to edge closer to production which is imminent

Thanks for your support and patience

Adam
Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Done. Just glad there isn’t an ADM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by n3rd
Done. Just glad there isn’t an ADM.
Ha! Wouldn't be a Porsche product without one!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Adam-
this is very exciting and I wish you all the success in the world! Hopefully I will be using one of your cases when the time is right for an outlaw build.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Adam-
this is very exciting and I wish you all the success in the world! Hopefully I will be using one of your cases when the time is right for an outlaw build.
Much appreciated!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!