Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
I think I've asked before in this thread but have You considered contacting Porsche Classic and ask if they are intetested in offering these blocks to their customers? That would make them official genuine Porsche replacement blocks, ant that would be a great marketing advantage!
No, because frankly Porsche did jack squat on this project, and I have features in my case which they didn't even think of. The last thing I want to do is give them credit for any of it. There is no rancor on my part, don't get me wrong, but they could have done this themselves.
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (02-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Catorce
Banned

Where we are at now on the project is stalled for 2 weeks because the 5 axis is in use by another project that is more important to the machine shop. And I am OK with that - the Flat 6 engine case has hogged the 5 axis for something like 6 months, and my deal with the machine shop is that they work on it in their spare time. But they have done much more than that, and I am grateful.

The last piece of the right case half we are working on is the integrated piston squirter, which is like nothing you have ever seen before, and much nicer than Porsche's part.

What I want you guys to take hope in is that every piece we figure out how to machine is CUMULATIVE. It goes into the model once its machined right. What that means is that even though it took months to figure something out, when that something is completed, it fits right into the corrected model, and then when we go to machine another case it takes MINUTES to machine that same feature. Every feature on the case is painstakingly done in that fashion.

A customer case will take less than 24 machining hours to make. That's both left and right case halves!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Subscribed - looking for a '69 2.0l case.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:44 PM
fastbroshi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This blows my mind. I've been on various automotive related forums for the past 20 years or so and this is the first time I've seen someone with the know-how take he initiative to do something like this. Then again with the marques I peruse engine blocks/case replacements are usually easier to replace and don't cost nearly as much!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been following this thread since its inception a year ago. Is there an ETA on when you will be completing development so these cases will actually be available to purchase?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Catorce
Banned

Hard to say, but I hope to have a test motor built by Christmas, and from there, customer cases in Q1 of 2019. We shall see.....
Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 AM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, keep us updated on the development of the Porsche engine cases.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 PM
seanery
5th Gear

Wow! Just read through all of this thread! I can't wait!! I'm looking for 2.7 case when they come around.

Subscribed and your web page bookmarked!
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Catorce
Banned

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Nicolas Chouette
AutoX

Wow, this is a very impressive job !
Keep us updated
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 AM
l02turner
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re: 2.7 cases when they are available, will the use of the aluminum mix you are using delete the need for special case bolts and head bolts that famously break/come loose?

Thanks,
LarryT
74 911
Youroil.net
Old 12-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by l02turner
re: 2.7 cases when they are available, will the use of the aluminum mix you are using delete the need for special case bolts and head bolts that famously break/come loose?

Thanks,
LarryT
74 911
Youroil.net
I feel like I need to stay in my lane on this one and not really provide guidance on head bolts. Porsche floundered with this for decades with engineers much smarter than I, and finally arrived at the conclusion that plain old steel was the best way to go. It's what I use.

As to case bolts, I haven't thought of that yet on the 2.7, since I am not sure what people are after....perhaps a 964 style case bolt?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Catorce
Banned

It’s been a very long time since I have posted anything on this case, and for good reason – I have been extremely busy.

The good news is this: We are now machining everything in house. Yes, you heard that right. No waiting for machine shops, no competing machining jobs, we now have our own 5 axis mill and we’re working as fast as ever.Let me back up a few steps.Originally my model was to have the castings machined at a local machine shop.

This way I could supply the cases without having a bricks and mortar location. The problem with this is that we couldn’t ever get anyone to work on the case machining full time, because each of these machine shops was swamped with work. So the project stagnated. By September of 2018 I’d had enough, and leased space for a shop. Oh, and I also ordered a $250,000 Haas UMC 1000 brand new.The UMC 1000 is Haas’s newest machine and I was one of the first deliveries in the United State – the machine just got here a couple weeks ago.

It’s a massive 5 axis mill and extremely precise, and now we can make any part we damn well please, on our own schedule, thank you very much.Big shout out to Haas in Oxnard; once they learned what we were making with the machine, they sent down two of their techs as well as the production line supervisor of the UMC1000 to ensure the accuracy of the machine is the best it can be.

They spent two days at the shop tweaking the machine to squeeze out the best accuracy they could from it, and let me tell you, right now the machine is running an accuracy that is an order of magnitude better than the accuracy it comes from stock, which was already impressive.

We also have a new machinist in house, and his name is Harman Sokhi. He is a lifelong machinist that comes from a family of machinists….his dad has been a machinist and machine shop owner for 25+years. We have the tools, we have the people, we are making the cases.Check out the photos of the Haas techs proving the accuracy of this utterly ridiculous machine….that sports a 40x25x25 work envelope, through spindle coolant, wi-fi control, and accuracy to rival any machine on the planet.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:52 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

That's a dream machine right there, congratulations!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by JDS968
That's a dream machine right there, congratulations!
Thanks! Let's think about those heads soon! This thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Quick Reply: I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!