Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How to fix the 718 RS wheels bouncing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 05:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not in the least... and FWIW the 718 GT4 and Spyder have the same suspension, the only difference is slightly different settings in the damper to account for the mechanical grip difference's cabriolet versus coupe.
I concur ... and easily proven (or refuted) by p/n comparison...
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:08 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry I didn't have time to read this entire thread but frankly I don't know why people think the Spyder RS can't put down power over bumps. It is extremely compliant and extremely refined. Atleast my car is.
Ksdaoski (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:26 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 300 Posts

Spyder RS has essentially the same rates as the ‘casual’ 718 Spyder so shouldn't be any different than that.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:17 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm assuming the SRS has the same 991 C4S front body integration as the 4RS? Also, the press release only speaks to "damper rates" not spring rates, I thought SRS had different spring rates?
Old 04-03-2024, 11:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I'm assuming the SRS has the same 991 C4S front body integration as the 4RS? Also, the press release only speaks to "damper rates" not spring rates, I thought SRS had different spring rates?
Yes, the press releases say 1/2 the spring rate on the SRS versus 4RS.
Airbag997 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:58 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I concur ... and easily proven (or refuted) by p/n comparison...
The Spyder does 'feel' softer though...

Last edited by dnimi123; 04-04-2024 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:05 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 313 Posts

I actually cannot believe how compliant the ride on 718 Spyder RS is. Therefore I do believe the descriptions by the original poster, even though I have not driven the car in the canyons yet.

The Spyder RS is so compliant and poised on the road that after driving it back-to-back with my 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 several times, I have concluded the GTS (mine has standard Sport PASM) rides firmer than Spyder RS, to my utter bewilderment.

Conditions: long stretches of highway at *very* high speeds with changes in elevation — both abrupt and moderate; minor road imperfections (no potholes), transitions on and off thresholds of bridges, etc.

Interestingly, there is no “firm” feeling of Spyder RS suspension, regardless if the suspension button is engaged. It is not a firm car — at all. In fact, I cannot tell the difference between suspension button engaged or disengaged. I’m not exaggerating; there seems to be zero difference; I have toggled the suspension setting on and off a multitude of times under different conditions trying to observe a difference. I know in my Boxster GTS 4.0, with suspension button engaged (Sport PASM suspension), that thing is jittery and will speak to the spine — as it should! It’s a sports car and sport suspension means sport suspension, no? When I inadvertently leave the sport suspension button engaged on GTS 4.0, I realize I’ve done so after a short while; on Spyder RS, I’ve left sport suspension on inadvertently and never realized the difference.

Actually, I find long trips on the highway in Boxster GTS a bit uncomfortable and taxing after a while. I took the RS for a long, high speed highway cruise last night and early this am in the wee hours, when such speeds are commonplace, and I just couldn't believe I was driving an RS car. Prior to ownership, I was expecting a fairly firm to firm ride. The ride is anything but firm. Again, not exaggerating. The very last expectation I had about Spyder RS prior to ownership was that it could be a comfortable highway car. It is.

After 300 miles of driving, I am not sure if this is an indictment on the Spyder RS or a great compliment. Regardless, I was not expecting it to ride better than my Boxster GTS 4.0 with Sport PASM.

Last edited by 348SStb; 05-11-2024 at 12:29 PM.
subwoofer (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:48 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,126 Likes on 556 Posts

Softer springs, I would assume the Sachs Motorsports shocks dialed down, and maybe they have listened to us and improved the rebound of the shock settings. I would say that the Sachs shocks are somewhere between the stock Bilstiens and the amazing KWs or MCSs. The difference in the buttons are probably only noticeable at extreme G levels. Porsche can program the settings to be basically the same say up to .6 or .8 Gs and then after that the stiffer settings apply on the sport button only. You might only notice it if you are pushing hard and at the apex of a tight turn on a two lane road. Bravo Porsche.
348SStb (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 01:01 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

I believe it, every time I had a GT3RS it rode better than my GT3 or GTS or whatever I had, there is an RS magic they must do.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I actually cannot believe how compliant the ride on 718 Spyder RS is. Therefore I do believe the descriptions by the original poster, even though I have not driven the car in the canyons yet.

The Spyder RS is so compliant and poised on the road that after driving it back-to-back with my 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 several times, I have concluded the GTS (mine has standard Sport PASM) rides firmer than Spyder RS, to my utter bewilderment.

Conditions: long stretches of highway at *very* high speeds with changes in elevation — both abrupt and moderate; minor road imperfections (no potholes), transitions on and off thresholds of bridges, etc.

Interestingly, there is no “firm” feeling of Spyder RS suspension, regardless if the suspension button is engaged. It is not a firm car — at all. In fact, I cannot tell the difference between suspension button engaged or disengaged. I’m not exaggerating; there seems to be zero difference; I have toggled the suspension setting on and off a multitude of times under different conditions trying to observe a difference. I know in my Boxster GTS 4.0, with suspension button engaged (Sport PASM suspension), that thing is jittery and will speak to the spine — as it should! It’s a sports car and sport suspension means sport suspension, no? When I inadvertently leave the sport suspension button engaged on GTS 4.0, I realize I’ve done so after a short while; on Spyder RS, I’ve left sport suspension on inadvertently and never realized the difference.

Actually, I find long trips on the highway in Boxster GTS a bit uncomfortable and taxing after a while. I took the RS for a long, high speed highway cruise last night and early this am in the wee hours, when such speeds are commonplace, and I just couldn't believe I was driving an RS car. Prior to ownership, I was expecting a fairly firm to firm ride. The ride is anything but firm. Again, not exaggerating. The very last expectation I had about Spyder RS prior to ownership was that it could be a comfortable highway car. It is.

After 300 miles of driving, I am not sure if this is an indictment on the Spyder RS or a great compliment. Regardless, I was not expecting it to ride better than my Boxster GTS 4.0 with Sport PASM.
I hardly think that that type of road condition is anywhere near what would be the surface required to tell differences in spring rate or damper settings...

Calling the Spyder RS a "comfortable highway car" is not much of a compliment either.

Take your GTS and Spyder to the canyons, drive them back to back, now that would be a more interesting comparison to hear.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:33 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I hardly think that that type of road condition is anywhere near what would be the surface required to tell differences in spring rate or damper settings...

Calling the Spyder RS a "comfortable highway car" is not much of a compliment either.

Take your GTS and Spyder to the canyons, drive them back to back, now that would be a more interesting comparison to hear.
Most people don’t have access to canyons, whereas I am blessed to have access. I think most people are driving on the highway and sports cars typically do not make good highway cars because they bounce around a bunch. Therefore I think the short review I have provided is very useful to others.
subwoofer (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 01:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Most people don’t have access to canyons, whereas I am blessed to have access. I think most people are driving on the highway and sports cars typically do not make good highway cars because they bounce around a bunch. Therefore I think the short review I have provided is very useful to others.
Just poking at you just a bit, notice the big grin!

I get asked all of the time about the suspension in my car, especially in conjunction with the seats, LWBS of course, I have essentially a Stage 2 RSS set up with a DSC controller, the Spyder suspension is so capable yet so livable, I track it a bit, drive it in the canyons (well our canyons) and yes even on extremely long highway runs in the range of 8-10 hour days, grab some dinner and some shut eye and do it all again! The car and it's suspension is just amazing, I would expect no less of the RS.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-11-2024 at 01:47 PM.
348SStb (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:09 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 394 Posts

That's very interesting that the RS rides better than the garden-variety GTS. I thought with the noise and the ride quality, being in an RS would be sheer torture. So it is not? Personally, I find my SPASM-equipped Boxster 25 to be a bit of a rough rider especially on the bad roads we have in New England. There is really no need for a car to be this stiff which makes it very bouncy and jittery. I prefer the suspension tuning in my previous 981 Boxster.
348SStb (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:41 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
That's very interesting that the RS rides better than the garden-variety GTS. I thought with the noise and the ride quality, being in an RS would be sheer torture. So it is not? Personally, I find my SPASM-equipped Boxster 25 to be a bit of a rough rider especially on the bad roads we have in New England. There is really no need for a car to be this stiff which makes it very bouncy and jittery. I prefer the suspension tuning in my previous 981 Boxster.
The noise isn't as bad as you think unless you are really on the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by mwar99:
348SStb (05-11-2024), Jay Cordeiro (05-11-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 05:29 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TDT
Shop in the UK that helped develop the installation of the kit and worked closely with Autoquest are picking up the project. They successfully installed on a UK car back in period. I believe the shots on website might even be from that car… the kit required some ‘massaging’ to actually make it work.
Unfortunately that car was written off by another shop.
So now they have recently acquired a GT4 with the specific purpose of exploring viability of making the kit available mass market.
@TDT

Regarding your post #110 —

Do you have any update on the progress on the development of the aftermarket multilink kit for 718?

By the way, was that for the regular 718 GT4 or GT4 RS? For me, selfishly, the goal would be to have something developed for 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 and 718 Spyder RS.

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-03-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Jay Cordeiro (07-03-2024)

Quick Reply: How to fix the 718 RS wheels bouncing?