Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 10:17 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
He's saying the "reviewer" owns the car, so of course he's going to fawn over it. It's not an objective review.
Wouldn't that validate his impression of the car rather than disqualify it? Since when does someone putting their money where their mouth is, invalidates their perspective? It's not like he was born with 3 nipples and then say having a 3rd nipple is great. He CHOSE to spend his dough on a car that he likes. He's not saying nice things about a press car merely in hope of the brand will continue to provide him with more press cars in the future - there are a lot of such "reviewers" around.

Last edited by RedCarrot; 08-28-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:36 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
He's saying the "reviewer" owns the car, so of course he's going to fawn over it. It's not an objective review.
Aren't all reviews inherently subjective? Don't we all have our own likes and dislikes?

Old 08-29-2024, 12:01 PM
Journeyman73
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCarrot
Wouldn't that validate his impression of the car rather than disqualify it? Since when does someone putting their money where their mouth is, invalidates their perspective? It's not like he was born with 3 nipples and then say having a 3rd nipple is great. He CHOSE to spend his dough on a car that he likes. He's not saying nice things about a press car merely in hope of the brand will continue to provide him with more press cars in the future - there are a lot of such "reviewers" around.
there are many studies that show people are biased in a way to self-confirm/rationalize their decision after the fact...

i am surprised there would be so much surprise at the notion that human beings are biased to validate their own decisions after the fact
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:18 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

I am one of the first owners of 718 Spyder RS in the country, and I believe the second active member of this community to have taken delivery; so I don’t know why I am being attacked by Spyder RS people. All I did was make a brief comment about the bias of these reviews.

@Adrift
Your comments are especially harsh, and I’m not understanding why. I’ve made plenty of contribution to not only questions and discussions involving you but also to Spyder RS in general. Ferrari “fanboy?” Is that an insult? When did you observe that I declared myself an “fanboy” of anything? Insulting a Ferrari is like insulting George Washington. Why would you do that; and why would you direct it at me when I have hardly mentioned Ferrari on these forums unless someone asked for a comparison? Maybe you could utilize a different choice of words.

“Nobody has ugly children” is an expression which @Journeyman73 just explained (thank you), and it’s very surprising that it needs explanation.

“Dumb” comment? The assertion is that people here, and all over the place in the published and video reviews, are heavily biased towards 718 Spyder RS. Is that news? The idea that there’s hardly a critique of the car out there to me indicates less that it’s a “perfect” car and more that bias is extremely high.

Last edited by 348SStb; 08-29-2024 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
alcc (08-29-2024), AWDman (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:27 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Journeyman73
there are many studies that show people are biased in a way to self-confirm/rationalize their decision after the fact...

i am surprised there would be so much surprise at the notion that human beings are biased to validate their own decisions after the fact
Oh you are not the only one to know owner impression can be biased. The operative word here is "can". Some are fair; some are biased in favor; some are overly critical. It is on the readers to think critically to form a balance judgement for themselves

The issue here is he painted all owner impression/review with a broad stroke as being biased. “Nobody has ugly children” suggests all positive owner reviews can not be trusted.

This thread is literally called and is intended for "Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions." So if we are going to dismiss impression/review from those of owners, then what are we even doing here?

Last edited by RedCarrot; 08-29-2024 at 12:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedCarrot:
348SStb (08-29-2024), Adrift (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:48 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Ferrari = George Washington?! Please, I’d love to hear the elaboration on that one, as it makes zero sense to this simpleton Porsche driver.

I didn’t throw shade at your favorite brand anyway. Reading comprehension skills need work.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-29-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:13 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

It’s amazing that these four little words, “Nobody has ugly children,” can prompt such impolite and vociferous remarks.

That phrase is a quip. It’s not an absolute. It’s not a statement of certainty. It’s a quip. Know what a quip is? Know what an expression is? Sure you do. Maybe an attempt at humor, even if it’s a bad one? I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy my humor. The unbecoming and high-handed pronouncements that followed it have no place in civilized and friendly discourse.

Four little words: “Nobody has ugly children.”

Nail a man to the cross shouldst he dare utter such blasphemy!

As the divine author of this thread calls the shots and decides who is valid and who is invalid, who speaks and doesn’t speak, who is intelligent and who is not, who reads the minds of others and who reads them not — I beg of him… to him I would say: O sacred one, please release me from thy scorn; please unleash me to roam in the pastures of your good graces, as I wish to be accepted into thy fraternity and into thy privileged association; and if not, please make haste with my demise, for burning mine body at the stake were a cruel ruination of my soul and dignity. O sacred one, do have mercy!
Old 08-29-2024, 07:27 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,911 Likes on 794 Posts

I wonder how many posts this subforum would have if we deleted all the crybabies
Old 08-29-2024, 07:31 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I wonder how many posts this subforum would have if we deleted all the crybabies
Good point. I wonder too. Crying about four little words and taking such offense is crybaby behavior indeed.

This thread should get back on track.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Some people have their identities WAY too closely linked with their cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
348SStb (08-29-2024), Ferrarisimo (08-29-2024), rwm (09-01-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 07:50 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
Some people have their identities WAY too closely linked with their cars.
Which people?
Old 08-29-2024, 07:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Which people?
Whoever can't take criticism of the car or the price they paid. I don't know names, not following the thread that closely ...
348SStb (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 07:58 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,345 Posts

lol Birds of a feather

i have say I’m disappointed no explanation on the George Washington comment. That was going to be a doozy, no doubt.

Last edited by Adrift; 08-29-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:09 PM
Walshy
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooo...to get the thread back on track, and to save any newcomers (myself included) the gruel of having to re-read the last 42 pages.

What are our quick recaps of Likes & Dislikes about the SRS?
Mine arrives mid November-ish to my dealer, can't wait! So, ultimately I'm thriving off living through all ya'lls impressions/thoughts and bias/unbias reviews so far.
Adrift (08-30-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 10:17 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Walshy
Sooo...to get the thread back on track, and to save any newcomers (myself included) the gruel of having to re-read the last 42 pages.

What are our quick recaps of Likes & Dislikes about the SRS?
Mine arrives mid November-ish to my dealer, can't wait! So, ultimately I'm thriving off living through all ya'lls impressions/thoughts and bias/unbias reviews so far.
I haven't driven one but basically it sounds like the car rides better than the 4RS and people like that. Closer to regular GT4/Spyder than 4RS. And it sounds great, potentially even better than the 4RS since there is less between you and the intakes. And people like that too. It's mostly been positive. Same drawbacks for some as other hot 718s in that the car doesn't feel as alive at low speeds as the older stuff, but that applies to any new Porsche. Some people find the top annoying, others are fine to put up with it, others have convinced themselves it's a brilliant feat of engineering. I mean it's not a GMA T.50; you can probably guess most of what it's like without even getting in it.
Walshy (08-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions