Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What's Happening? Deposits on the 2025 983 e718, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 07:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

Little chat with fellow instructors at a PCA event on the weekend and I don't think anyone really wants this car or likes the direction in my world. One cup car driver said he thinks his spyder is literally the last new Porsche he'll probably ever buy. Him specifically was looking at going back to a 997.2 for his next Porsche.

I'm not sure what the target market is for this car, but I'm guessing it's new people to the brand who won't know what they're missing and people who buy them for the brand not the experience. I still think it'll sell more units than any other boxster/cayman gen previous, but it will also go down in history as the worst gen to date.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
patdonahue (05-31-2023), triode (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 07:34 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,519 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
I'm first on the list at my dealer. No deposit necessary. Can't wait for this game-changing sports car!

That’s not surprising about no deposit necessary. And the game will definitely change, but I’m not playing…
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-31-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 07:38 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,295 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
That’s not surprising about no deposit necessary. And the game will definitely change, but I’m not playing…
most of the dealers around me no longer take deposits because it implies a place in line / order which is not actually the case (to a certain degree I think)….
Old 05-29-2023, 07:50 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
There was also no deposit required for my GT4 RS at this dealership. That’s just their way of handling pre-orders. From what my dealership GM told me, the list is already “long”.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:40 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 120 Posts

For me, I think I might be interested in an electric backroad sports car, or an electric track car, if the range worked and the handling was good (not too heavy).

My favorites backroads rides are 300 miles into rural Missouri (no charging). For track, it would have to do 4 20 minute sessions in a day.

I doubt the track use is viable. Maybe the backroads.

Perhaps someone will build a high speed charging network focused on enthusiast roads in remote locations. still, I just planned a 4 day trip in July from St Louis to tail of the dragon, down to Atlanta (pec) and back home. Hard to see doing that in an electric.

Last edited by ttcbj; 05-29-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:38 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 360 Posts

Every single person who grew up dreaming of owning an electric Porsche has already put down a deposit.
The following 7 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
911Jetta (06-01-2023), arennlistuser (06-03-2023), GTSPYDER23 (05-31-2023), kwikit356 (05-30-2023), Larry Cable (05-31-2023), UncleDude (05-31-2023), Zhao (05-31-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:41 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,175 Likes on 656 Posts

I think the target market for these vehicles are not current Porsche or sports car enthusiasts. I think the target market for these will be the current generation of teens who grew up with Tesla's being one of the most common cars you see on the road nowadays (at least here in CA). But also with this massive push towards EV's be the majority of companies, this is what most of the kids growing up nowadays are seeing. Supercars dont have the same flare as they did in the past. I dont know many kids that have like a Ferrari GTB or a McLaren 650 LT on their wall or are dreaming of those cars. However i know plenty of kids who want a Model S Plaid.

And i think this all comes down to marketing. Tesla has done a very good job of giving people the illusion that anyone can afford the top trim Model S. It's not a flashy car and looks like it should only cost 40k, however the plaid is their top of the line trim and has a better 0-60 than the majority of supercars out there. And as much as we like to say things like "i care about handling", let's be honest, 0-60 is basically what most people talk about in general.

So now you combine the fact that most of these kids think Teslas are cool, never grew up dreaming of that new Ferrari or Porsche (and if they are its either a hybrid or an EV like a Taycan), and seeing that the world is heading in the direction of an EV, it only makes sense that a Sports EV is something that they would want to buy once they are old enough and have the money.

Again, these new cars aren't for us. That's what the 911s are for.
The following 5 users liked this post by Xxyion:
BabyNSX (05-31-2023), Pcar81 (06-01-2023), tigerhonaker (05-31-2023), TubaFreak (05-31-2023), Zeus993 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 01:55 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 617 Likes on 281 Posts

Maybe once my HOA has the electric chargers completed I'll consider it. Or maybe a electric Macan. I do think the Mission R concept is interesting.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,314 Likes on 4,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think the target market for these vehicles are not current Porsche or sports car enthusiasts. I think the target market for these will be the current generation of teens who grew up with Tesla's being one of the most common cars you see on the road nowadays (at least here in CA). But also with this massive push towards EV's be the majority of companies, this is what most of the kids growing up nowadays are seeing. Supercars dont have the same flare as they did in the past. I dont know many kids that have like a Ferrari GTB or a McLaren 650 LT on their wall or are dreaming of those cars. However i know plenty of kids who want a Model S Plaid.

And i think this all comes down to marketing. Tesla has done a very good job of giving people the illusion that anyone can afford the top trim Model S. It's not a flashy car and looks like it should only cost 40k, however the plaid is their top of the line trim and has a better 0-60 than the majority of supercars out there. And as much as we like to say things like "i care about handling", let's be honest, 0-60 is basically what most people talk about in general.

So now you combine the fact that most of these kids think Teslas are cool, never grew up dreaming of that new Ferrari or Porsche (and if they are its either a hybrid or an EV like a Taycan), and seeing that the world is heading in the direction of an EV, it only makes sense that a Sports EV is something that they would want to buy once they are old enough and have the money.

911's are going hybrid.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:40 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,175 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
911's are going hybrid.
which dont detract or take away from what we all fundamentally love about cars. There are plenty of hybrid super cars out there with the sound and response that we crave. Not to mention you could still keep the manual transmission. I personally wished that the 718 lineup would become hybrid instead. It would have appeased the "save the planet" crowd while at the same time giving us a high performance sports car that maintains its mid-engine configuration.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:20 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion

I'm not sure who "us" is in your post. There's no reason to be so one dimensional, in my opinion. I can have a GT4 RS and and EV 718 and enjoy the merits of both.
The following 2 users liked this post by greatfox315:
ronbauer (06-01-2023), ToasterThief (06-06-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:41 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
I'm not sure who "us" is in your post. There's no reason to be so one dimensional, in my opinion. I can have a GT4 RS and and EV 718 and enjoy the merits of both.

Totally agree. I am open to the idea that an electric sports car could be a different but enjoyable experience worth having, especially as battery tech improves.

I love the sound of a flat 6 on backroads. But I can’t rule out the possibility that a quieter experience might end up seeming more “pure” or focused over time. Either on backroads or track. It might really force you to focus on the driving experience itself.

Above all, I’m glad someone is trying. I heard somewhere they are replicating a similar weight position with the e718, by placing the battery behind the driver. That means Porsche cares about driving dynamics in this car. I will absolutely go try it at PEC when it comes out.

Last edited by ttcbj; 05-31-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:55 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

EV will be made for years and years to come, and its battery tech will likely advance exponentially (a la solid state) over the next few. So there's simply no urgency to own a new EV sports car when 1) the economy is iffy over the next year 2) interest rate is high 3) cost of everything is high 4) no discount from MSRP.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:59 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 668 Posts

The naysayers are in vogue at the moment. They said the same thing about, well, everything. Porsche may get the first gen wrong but they will get it right as they usually do. Consider for a moment if they get the weight down and suspension and steering feel right... with the torque and low center of gravity this will be a slot car and out perform numerically almost any car in the line up (please dont bore me with 'but it lost its soul' gibberish like you all did back in 1999-996 or 2019-992). They will sell a lot of these cars and to many NA customers and in a short period of time say a decade after these are out and there have been a couple generations and GT and GTRS versions of an electric Cayman/Boxster - the naysayers will be signing a different tune. I for one at the tender age of mid sixties will be first in line for a GT4E!

Last edited by dnimi123; 06-01-2023 at 05:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:33 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
The naysayers are in vogue at the moment. They said the same thing about, well, everything. Porsche may get the first gen wrong but they will get it right as they usually do. Consider for a moment if they get the weight down and suspension and steering feel right... with the torque and low center of gravity this will be a slot car and out perform numerically almost any car in the line up (please dont bore me with 'but it lost its soul' gibberish like you all did back in 1999-996 or 2019-992). They will sell a lot of these cars and to many NA customers and in a short period of time say a decade after these are out and there have been a couple generations and GT and GTRS versions of an electric Cayman/Boxster - the naysayers will be signing a different tune. I for one at the tender age of mid sixties will be first in line for a GT4E!
While I agree with you, most electric cars have not not held their value like Porsche sports cars have.

I know there are plenty of people on here who claim that they don't care about depreciation and that when they buy a car they essentially build a bonfire and throw stacks of Benjamins into it. However, those same people will sell you their ten-year-old GT3 for $50k over MSRP.

The truth of the matter is that most Porsche sports cars have a lower total cost of ownership than a Kia sedan. Although the initial sticker shock takes a lot of people out of the market, we all know we can sell in a few years and recoup a large percentage of that money.

However, as technology advances, a ten-year-old electric vehicle is not going to be competitive or as desirable as that ten-year-old GT3. So, at least for me, that puts me out of the market. I can justify spending $200k on a GT3 as I know that the total cost of ownership will be low. $200k on an electric vehicle that is not the family SUV or used for towing etc. and I can only get maybe $60k back is not a good value proposition as I don't have that type of money to burn.

Last edited by MaddMike; 06-01-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: What's Happening? Deposits on the 2025 983 e718, anyone?