Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Accessport for GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 05:09 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Accessport for GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder

The time has finally come! Accessport tuning for the 4.0L powered Cayman/Boxster GTS 4.0, Cayman GT4, and Spyder is now available. For a full write-up, head over to the COBB Tuning Blog.

Vehicles Supported:
  • 2021-2022 Porsche 718 (982) 4.0L Cayman/Boxster GTS USDM
  • 2020-2022 Porsche 718 (982) 4.0L Cayman GT4 USDM
  • 2020-2022 Porsche 718 (982) 4.0L Spyder USDM

Power Gains:
Below is a dyno chart of the GTS and Spyder/GT4 overlayed. For individual charts per car and fuel quality, head over to our Map Notes Page or the COBB Blog Post.

PDK Transmission Tuning
Those of you with PDK equipped cars can take advantage of our PDK tuning option as well. A selection of three maps are available to to be flashed to supported PDK equipped 718s. These files are included on the Accessport and can also be downloaded from the Maps Section of the COBB website. For the Boxster GTS and Cayman GTS maps with and without ‘creep’ enabled are available for OEM+, Sport, and Aggressive.For more details on each, visit the PDK Map Notes Page.
  • COBB OEM+ (GTS – only)
    • This file retains the OEM shift schedule with quicker shift times as well as enabling Race Start and Dual Paddle Neutral Custom Features.
  • COBB Sport
    • This file utilizes a slightly more aggressive shifting schedule and quicker shift times with both Race Start and Dual Paddle Neutral enabled.
  • COBB Aggressive
    • The quickest shifting time and most aggressive shift schedule with both Race Start and Dual Paddle Neutral enabled.

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 4 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
c1pher (10-27-2022), Clark_Kent (10-26-2022), DFW01TT (10-27-2022), Larry Cable (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 01:44 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Thank you for the update. Nice to have another option
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 01:48 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

One quick question, is anything done with the exhaust valves on this tune?
Old 10-27-2022, 11:51 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by c1pher
One quick question, is anything done with the exhaust valves on this tune?
Not on the OTS maps. We didn't want anyone to run afoul of any local noise ordinances by default when flashing one of our OTS offerings. But we're working on flap control for our Protuners to be able to control for custom mapping.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
@COBB Tuning

A couple BASIC questions (re: GT4)

1. Is the PDK mapping available and applicable without a stage 1 tune? Or does using the PDK mapping require simultaneous stage 1 map installation?

2. Could you please explain what the graph vertical and horizontal axes are showing? It seems clear the shifts are occurring later and, thus, at higher RPMs. However, the vertical and horizontal axes are not labeled and I do not know exactly what they are referencing?

3. How are the various 'modes' activated? For example, with the GT4, we have start-up mode and PDK/Sport mode button. With your tune is the start-up mode still OEM? Or is start-up mode now Cobb Sport by default? With the GT4, we only have one button (PDK/SPORT), unlike the GTS that has Sport and Sport Plus options, so I am trying to figure out how to access the various modes?

4. Probably answered with #3 above, but is this a OBD flash like the stage 1 tune, e.g., no need to leave the access port connected to select various PDK modes.

Thank you in advance

Avera
Old 10-27-2022, 12:37 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Avera
@COBB Tuning

A couple BASIC questions (re: GT4)

1. Is the PDK mapping available and applicable without a stage 1 tune? Or does using the PDK mapping require simultaneous stage 1 map installation?

2. Could you please explain what the graph vertical and horizontal axes are showing? It seems clear the shifts are occurring later and, thus, at higher RPMs. However, the vertical and horizontal axes are not labeled and I do not know exactly what they are referencing?

3. How are the various 'modes' activated? For example, with the GT4, we have start-up mode and PDK/Sport mode button. With your tune is the start-up mode still OEM? Or is start-up mode now Cobb Sport by default? With the GT4, we only have one button (PDK/SPORT), unlike the GTS that has Sport and Sport Plus options, so I am trying to figure out how to access the various modes?

4. Probably answered with #3 above, but is this a OBD flash like the stage 1 tune, e.g., no need to leave the access port connected to select various PDK modes.

Thank you in advance

Avera
1. PDK tuning can be done independent of ECU tuning so you can install an Accessport to the PDK and skip the ECU. With that said, we don't offer a PDK-only Accessport.

2. Horizontal axis is vehicle speed in MPH and vertical is engine speed in RPM.

3. You still use your "Mode" buttons normally. The shift schedule primarily affects Normal Mode with only a slight change to Sport due to some table interaction in the GTS. Sport+ is unaffected by the shift schedule change due to how aggressive it already is. The other PDK tune features such as Dual Paddle Neutral and Creep Disable (if chosen) will work in all modes.

4. You do not need to keep the Accessport connected at all times. It's a full reflash solution so once you flash your chosen map, you can leave it connected for live monitoring/datalogging or disconnect it and put it in the glovebox!

- Andrew
Avera (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 02:10 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

1. PDK tuning can be done independent of ECU tuning so you can install an Accessport to the PDK and skip the ECU. With that said, we don't offer a PDK-only Accessport.

2. Horizontal axis is vehicle speed in MPH and vertical is engine speed in RPM.

3. You still use your "Mode" buttons normally. The shift schedule primarily affects Normal Mode with only a slight change to Sport due to some table interaction in the GTS. Sport+ is unaffected by the shift schedule change due to how aggressive it already is. The other PDK tune features such as Dual Paddle Neutral and Creep Disable (if chosen) will work in all modes.

4. You do not need to keep the Accessport connected at all times. It's a full reflash solution so once you flash your chosen map, you can leave it connected for live monitoring/datalogging or disconnect it and put it in the glovebox!

- Andrew
Thank you again sir for the very helpful response

Avera
Old 10-28-2022, 01:32 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

The time has finally come! Accessport tuning for the 4.0L powered Cayman/Boxster GTS 4.0, Cayman GT4, and Spyder is now available.
Power Gains:
Below is a dyno chart of the GTS and Spyder/GT4 overlayed. For individual charts per car and fuel quality, head over to our Map Notes Page or the COBB Blog Post.
If you're not charging more for the GTS tune compared to the Spyder/GT4, then you don't understand the business value proposition. More bang, more bucks? No?
Old 10-28-2022, 02:06 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
If you're not charging more for the GTS tune compared to the Spyder/GT4, then you don't understand the business value proposition. More bang, more bucks? No?
With other tuners on the 4.0, I was told it is the same flash map for all 4.0's, no differentiation between GTS/GT4/Spyder. Makes sense as GTS is identical hardware, just difference software from factory.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:24 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
With other tuners on the 4.0, I was told it is the same flash map for all 4.0's, no differentiation between GTS/GT4/Spyder. Makes sense as GTS is identical hardware, just difference software from factory.
The maps for the GTS and the GT4/Spyder are similar but not the exact same. The effort to support both cars was simultaneous with us working to get them both to the tuned states we were happy with. As for price, all of the 718 4.0L cars are supported by the same Accessport model so we don't have a method (or desire) to charge differently for each. Our AP3-POR-013 supports all 991 GT3 models for one price even though the gains on the 4.0L models were significantly higher than the 3.8L. Our main goal with the Accessport is to create a tuning platform for the vehicle where users can use our maps or custom maps from a Protuner along with all of the other uses the Accessport has. The Stage1 maps we produce are just the starting point for what customers can do once they begin modifying the car more and move into the need for a more bespoke map. Our Protuners take it from there and use our software to help build some awesome projects.

- Andrew
hoyasaxa (01-29-2023)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:58 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 236 Posts

I wish COBB would make the PSE opening/closing RPM configurable for the Accessport USER and not require customers to get a Pro-tune just for changing what RPM they want the exhaust valves open/close. COBB allowed programming of launch control RPM on Subaru Accessport so I wouldn't think supporting programmability on exhaust valve is something difficult to do on a 718 4.0L

Btw, is launch control supported on the 718 4.0l Accessport for manual cars ?

Last edited by lowbee; 10-28-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:47 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowbee
I wish COBB would make the PSE opening/closing RPM configurable for the Accessport USER and not require customers to get a Pro-tune just for changing what RPM they want the exhaust valves open/close. COBB allowed programming of launch control RPM on Subaru Accessport so I wouldn't think supporting programmability on exhaust valve is something difficult to do on a 718 4.0L

Btw, is launch control supported on the 718 4.0l Accessport for manual cars ?
Launch Control on Subaru is a feature that isn't a part of the OEM strategy so it was all custom code. Since it's fully custom code, we can use the Live Tuning/Realtime feature of Subaru ECU's to make changes like that on the fly. Porsche doesn't have this Realtime Tuning capability and the changes are only possible through a full reflash. The other issue is that exhaust flaps aren't tied to RPM alone. They are also dependent on engine load and airflow with over 50 tables controlling the flaps on the 991.2 platform. We're still discovering some tables on the 718 but they're likely about the same in number.

As for Launch Control on MT cars, this is something we're interested in doing but it will require a lot of custom code. LC on the PDK cars is all handled via the TCM and we can activate/tune the OEM tables which aren't present in the non-PDK models so we need to write this to the ECU on MT cars and test it on several different operating systems and ROMs. It could definitely happen and we welcome the requests for it but I can't guarantee anything in the immediate future.

- Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Avera (10-28-2022), lowbee (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 02:34 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

The other issue is that exhaust flaps aren't tied to RPM alone. They are also dependent on engine load and airflow with over 50 tables controlling the flaps on the 991.2 platform. We're still discovering some tables on the 718 but they're likely about the same in number.
I believe you are saying valve opening/closing is not a simple matter of RPMs. For example, by 'load' I suspect you mean throttle input at the time RPM is reached?

I could see how these variables you reference impact the RATE the valves open/close at specific RPM. However, the fact is the valves open/close at the same RPM regardless. About 4K in 1st/2nd gears and 5K in 3rd-plus gears in the GT4.

So, I would see no reason to alter valve open/close RATES, according to 'load,' 'air flow' and other variables suggested. Could you still not 'simply' alter the RPM at which the opening and closing occurred? Even easier it would SEEM would be to override valve closing althogetherl, which I believe is what most drivers would be after?

I am not trying to make something complex simple. However, with all the highly technical coding you do with respect to ECU and PDK tunes, it does SEEM valve control would be about as easy as it gets for your wheelhouse.

Avera

Last edited by Avera; 10-28-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:11 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Avera
I believe you are saying valve opening/closing is not a simple matter of RPMs. By 'load' I suspect you mean throttle input at the time RPM is reached?

I could see how these variables you reference impact the RATE the valves open/close at specific RPM. However, the fact is the valves open/close at the same RPM regardless. About 4K in 1st/2nd gears and 5K in 3rd-plus gears in the GT4.

So, I would see no reason to alter valve open/close RATES, according to 'load,' 'air flow' and other variables suggested. Could you still not 'simply' alter the RPM at which the opening and closing occurred? Even easier it would SEEM would be to override valve closing althogetherl, which I believe is what most drivers would be after?

I am not trying to make something complex simple. However, with all the highly technical coding you do with respect to ECU and PDK tunes, it does SEEM valve control would be about as easy as it gets for your wheelhouse.

Avera
The 50+ tables use the variable of RPM, engine load (separate from accelerator pedal position), drive mode, gear, & airflow in a series of 4D tables to determine when to open and close the valves. The rate at which they physically rotate to open/close seems locked to the operating mechanism or is a variable we have yet to uncover. A complete override solution for open/closed at all times in all tables is theoretically possible but not something we currently are looking to do. Gaining control over OEM tables and manipulating OEM values is the crux of what we build with our software. Custom features like this that would allow us to completely control the flaps from the Accessport menu is a lot more complex. Also, while there is some measure of responsibility on the owner, we also have to seek legal approval for all custom features which would be a bigger effort.

- Andrew
Avera (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

The 50+ tables use the variable of RPM, engine load (separate from accelerator pedal position), drive mode, gear, & airflow in a series of 4D tables to determine when to open and close the valves. The rate at which they physically rotate to open/close seems locked to the operating mechanism or is a variable we have yet to uncover. A complete override solution for open/closed at all times in all tables is theoretically possible but not something we currently are looking to do. Gaining control over OEM tables and manipulating OEM values is the crux of what we build with our software. Custom features like this that would allow us to completely control the flaps from the Accessport menu is a lot more complex. Also, while there is some measure of responsibility on the owner, we also have to seek legal approval for all custom features which would be a bigger effort.

- Andrew
Andrew

I know it must seem like I am trivializing the matter from your perspective, which I can assure you is not my intent.

I am trying to learn what goes into what you do behind the scenes. You have been great at addressing the questions. Greatly appreciated.

I suspect at some point all of the variables add up to 'send signal to vacuum line to activate valve actuator.' I guess my thought was, 'how hard would it be to block or remove the code that sends that signal . . . as you are politely making clearer, not that simple.

As far as legal concerns go, perhaps I am also underestimating the legal ramifications of having exhaust valves left open.

Thank you again sir

Avera

Quick Reply: Accessport for GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder