Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Accessport for GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 11:09 AM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 4S Leistung
Had it installed for a few months now. No issues so far. Paired with Soul OAP’s and BMC filters it has noticeably more power all through the rev range. Some people could say it disrupts the smooth power delivery of the stock calibration. But I like the punchy throttle response. To me it just makes the car feel a little more raw. Which is exactly what I want out of this car. Curious to see what a Pro-tune can do..?
Thanks for this, SOUL AOP's and BMC will be my setup as well. Maybe valve controller, not sure yet.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:12 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
@BabyNSX

I admittedly carry pessimism when it comes to aftermarket tunes in the GT4

It seems Porsche squeezed just about all the juice out of the GT4 with the stock tune. The only meat left on the bone is what the EPA forced Porsche to take out with their exhaust setup
It's not surprising Porsche held back the 4.0, maybe for emissions, maybe efficiency, maybe reliability, but definitely they don't want the GT4 to get too close to the GT3 given the price difference and the "natural order of things" in regards to the 911.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:43 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
It's not surprising Porsche held back the 4.0, maybe for emissions, maybe efficiency, maybe reliability, but definitely they don't want the GT4 to get too close to the GT3 given the price difference and the "natural order of things" in regards to the 911.
The only thing 'holding back' the GT4 from the GT3 is its engine, not how Porsche tuned the engine

If not the case, they would have had no reason to put GT3 engine in the GT4 RS . . . they would have just tuned the GT4 engine

The only thing that held back the GT4 is the EPA

I use the phrase 'held back' reluctantly because the gold standard we are comparing it to is the GT3 . . . the GT4 is hardly held back by anything other than government regulations, which can be overcome through aftermarket exhaust options

It is always possible to squeeze a little more out of any engine, but manufacturers also need to consider long-term reliability. It is hard to 'out tune' Porsche engineers when it comes to maximizing performance and reliability

Avera
Old 01-29-2023, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the first gen of the 4.0 based on the TT 3.0. Porsche typically leaves a lot of head room in their engines when first introduced so they can incrementally improve them with subsequent new models of cars. Base>X51>.2 base. They probably weren’t sure they were going all electric with the cayman/boxster line when it was developed. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they used it in a future 911T model or something else….
Old 01-29-2023, 09:59 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 008
This is the first gen of the 4.0 based on the TT 3.0. Porsche typically leaves a lot of head room in their engines when first introduced so they can incrementally improve them with subsequent new models of cars. Base>X51>.2 base. They probably weren’t sure they were going all electric with the cayman/boxster line when it was developed. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they used it in a future 911T model or something else….
Well, again, if it had much more to give Porsche would have had no reason to not use it in the GT4 RS

Avera
Old 01-29-2023, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, again, if it had much more to give Porsche would have had no reason to not use it in the GT4 RS

Avera
I think that was positioning for the swan song. Look at the frenzy! The 4.0 unquestionably has a lot of head room, especially in GTS guise.
The following users liked this post:
yellolab (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:16 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 008
I think that was positioning for the swan song. Look at the frenzy! The 4.0 unquestionably has a lot of head room, especially in GTS guise.
Would anyone care if the GT4RS produced the same numbers with the GT4 engine? . . . it would still be a frenzy, but it was not possible with the GT4 engine

The GTS was obviously detuned, but we have been commenting on the GT4

Avera
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

There has been speculation about the GT3 engine in the Cayman forever. It wouldn’t be the same imo. 9k rev limit and true dry sump are meaningful in the marketing game.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:51 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 672 Posts

They also had used the GT3 engine or a version of it in the Cayman Clubsports - I think. Porsche lost any credibility with me on what they can or cant do with a car or engine when AP stated emphatically "Cant put the GT3 engine in the GT4..." all the while hyping the GT4 and behind the scenes putting a GT3 engine into the GT4RS. Hypocritical, lying, little German Spokeshole for the Porsche Empire! Porsche can, does and will do everything and anything in its power to extract every single penny from our pockets while going to the razors edge of just below what they should do on a car to make more profits.
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
alwaysdriving (01-31-2023), Avera (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:59 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

The only thing 'holding back' the GT4 from the GT3 is its engine, not how Porsche tuned the engine

If not the case, they would have had no reason to put GT3 engine in the GT4 RS . . . they would have just tuned the GT4 engine

The only thing that held back the GT4 is the EPA

I use the phrase 'held back' reluctantly because the gold standard we are comparing it to is the GT3 . . . the GT4 is hardly held back by anything other than government regulations, which can be overcome through aftermarket exhaust options

It is always possible to squeeze a little more out of any engine, but manufacturers also need to consider long-term reliability. It is hard to 'out tune' Porsche engineers when it comes to maximizing performance and reliability

Avera
You are aware that the Cobb Accessport is CARB compliant AND boosts the 4.0 horsepower, right? Not just a little, it's pretty substantial for a naturally aspirated engine. Seems like Porsche left lots on the table.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
You are aware that the Cobb Accessport is CARB compliant AND boosts the 4.0 horsepower, right? Not just a little, it's pretty substantial for a naturally aspirated engine. Seems like Porsche left lots on the table.
I agree, and another tuner here will be glad to explain it to you over the phone if you do not believe it. And the gains are even larger when one changes the headers and exhaust, which Porsche has to design a specific way to meet requirements set by governing bodies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
alwaysdriving (01-31-2023), pinion (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:16 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

I am interested to hear what @BabyNSX ultimately achieves with a custom stage 2 tune . . . after what Dundon already achieved with headers/OAPs?

Avera
BabyNSX (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 10:23 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

@COBB Tuning
OK I can offer my UK car to get this working in the UK via say Litchfield cars ?
Old 01-31-2023, 12:16 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
@COBB Tuning
OK I can offer my UK car to get this working in the UK via say Litchfield cars ?
Excellent! We're definitely interested in getting testing done on some other world market vehicles and Litchfield is a long term and well respected Protuner of ours. We'll chat about the options a bit more in the PM you sent over and sort out details with you and Litchfield!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

mrd_spy (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:16 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 204 Posts

@BabyNSX

I admittedly carry pessimism when it comes to aftermarket tunes in the GT4

It seems Porsche squeezed just about all the juice out of the GT4 with the stock tune. The only meat left on the bone is what the EPA forced Porsche to take out with their exhaust setup

Of course, you already addressed the exhaust issue with your Dundon components . . . getting back what the EPA took out

As you know, I also have the Dundon components and (1) TQHP gains were impressive; (2) I do not need any ‘more’ for my purposes on the roadways; and (3) throttle responsiveness is about as perfect as I have ever experienced

What I am most interested to hear from your experience is (1) how much ‘more’ you can get with your specific (Dundon) setup from an aftermarket tune; (2) whether more equates to better; and (3) if the slide proves to be worth the climb?

The answers to these questions MIGHT be different according to your roadway and track applications? For example, a few more HP at the top of the RPM range is likely irrelevant for the roadways, but might equate to a small margin you are after on the track

Avera
We're working with a few folks with our kit on it. And Charles has had a chance to look at the maps in the 718 GT4 and there is certainly meat on the bone to get at especially with the cam timing... We don't have a 718 GT4 anymore so we're reliant on customers to go out and do a bit of street tuning... Stay tuned...

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
The following 4 users liked this post by Jamie@dundonmotorsports:
Avera (02-11-2023), BabyNSX (02-12-2023), c1pher (02-11-2023), yellolab (02-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Accessport for GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder