Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Financing Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:53 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DreiPedals
That would seem to be a smart approach. If they can come close to your bank rate at all, the savings would be well worth it, if the rates are far apart you may have more math to be done (will get to this later). I'm on a very favorable purchase deal, so I don't think that taking the PFS loan will move the needle at all for my specifics, but again, if they'll match my rate I'll gladly take their loan.

I'm normally in line with you on the 'take the dealer rate for a short term, whether for ADM or relationship preservation reasons, then re-fi through my preferred institution in a few months' plan. But right now I'm a bit cold-feet on that. Just think what your rate to refinance an auto loan would have looked like 6 months ago when compared to today. If you take the dealers financing, there's a chance that rates just keep climbing and climbing and in 6 months you're not able to beat it on a re-fi note. Just food for thought, and everyones case and appetite will be different for the gamesmanship that needs to be played. Find the terms that work best for you and be happy if they're workable. Good luck!
I ended up going with American1CU last week, got 3.49% for 72 months. Best I found for a credit union that appears to be open to anyone with no geographic restriction.

I'm paying a 15k ADM unfortunately on my GT4, tried to have it bumped down if I financed through the dealer with no luck. Also tried converting some of it into an extended warranty/maintenance plan, but also no luck. Ah well, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
I ended up going with American1CU last week, got 3.49% for 72 months. Best I found for a credit union that appears to be open to anyone with no geographic restriction.

I'm paying a 15k ADM unfortunately on my GT4, tried to have it bumped down if I financed through the dealer with no luck. Also tried converting some of it into an extended warranty/maintenance plan, but also no luck. Ah well, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Yeah I have a feeling its going to vary dealer to dealer. Unfortunately this is an out of state dealer for me so I can't even entertain the idea that I could trade the car back to them in the future as incentive. I think it doesn't hurt to try at least though. Right now I can get 3.99% for 72 months with my local Credit Union which is the best that I have found (that I can join) so far so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:09 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Yeah I have a feeling its going to vary dealer to dealer. Unfortunately this is an out of state dealer for me so I can't even entertain the idea that I could trade the car back to them in the future as incentive. I think it doesn't hurt to try at least though. Right now I can get 3.99% for 72 months with my local Credit Union which is the best that I have found (that I can join) so far so we'll see what happens.
Yeah I would definitely try. The worst thing that happens is they say no and stick with the original deal.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:21 PM
madmilk
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani

Thanks for the suggestion on this credit union. They quoted me the same rate assuming > 750 credit score, and their lock-in period is 60 days so I applied with them just now. My car's scheduled to start production on Friday and an ETA of 12/16 for arrival here so hopefully that's enough time. The Fed's allegedly going to raise the rate .75 points after their meeting on Wednesday afternoon. American1CU supposedly will get back to me in 24 hours with an approval.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:22 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 915 Likes on 365 Posts

Will your CU write out-of-state deals? I know on my last car they would only write deals in their own home state (Texas in this case). I guess there are a lot of factors around it but something to confirm.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:38 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by madmilk
Thanks for the suggestion on this credit union. They quoted me the same rate assuming > 750 credit score, and their lock-in period is 60 days so I applied with them just now. My car's scheduled to start production on Friday and an ETA of 12/16 for arrival here so hopefully that's enough time. The Fed's allegedly going to raise the rate .75 points after their meeting on Wednesday afternoon. American1CU supposedly will get back to me in 24 hours with an approval.
Nice, I'm glad to hear you got the ball rolling with them. I had a good experience with them, so I am hopeful you do as well.
The following users liked this post:
madmilk (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 07:19 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Will your CU write out-of-state deals? I know on my last car they would only write deals in their own home state (Texas in this case). I guess there are a lot of factors around it but something to confirm.
That is a great question. Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-01-2022, 07:37 PM
vtplm
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

@rusmani Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in the process with them now too. I put my app in at 2pm PST and they said I'd get a decision at the end of the day or latest first thing tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed I hear back before more rate hikes.
rusmani (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 08:15 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

They just approved me this afternoon. Great rate for the current environment.
rusmani (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:02 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by vtplm
@rusmani Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in the process with them now too. I put my app in at 2pm PST and they said I'd get a decision at the end of the day or latest first thing tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed I hear back before more rate hikes.
Best of luck! From what I recall them telling me, they only adjust their rates at the beginning of every month. So hopefully now that November is upon us, rates should stay as they are for the month. Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
Old 11-08-2022, 03:48 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Well I just got hit with a bit of a financial conundrum. I applied to a credit union for an auto loan. Pretty low rates considering how bad it has gotten. I have an 810 credit score according to my apps. Well I got denied. Apparently I just don't have comparable credit/loans and due to that they won't approve me. Which makes sense, I generally don't buy big, and I somehow have excessive obligations? Has anyone run into this? I guess my only option is to go through Porsche Financing, but will they even approve me even though my local credit union won't? Its not like I don't have the money, its just more I don't have the history. At this point I'm a bit scared I won't be able to get the car.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Chonson
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I just got hit with a bit of a financial conundrum. I applied to a credit union for an auto loan. Pretty low rates considering how bad it has gotten. I have an 810 credit score according to my apps. Well I got denied. Apparently I just don't have comparable credit/loans and due to that they won't approve me. Which makes sense, I generally don't buy big, and I somehow have excessive obligations? Has anyone run into this? I guess my only option is to go through Porsche Financing, but will they even approve me even though my local credit union won't? Its not like I don't have the money, its just more I don't have the history. At this point I'm a bit scared I won't be able to get the car.
I ran into the same problem for the same reasons. Ultimately, you may have to place a much higher down payment to get the financed amount below $100k.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chonson
I ran into the same problem for the same reasons. Ultimately, you may have to place a much higher down payment to get the financed amount below $100k.
unfortunately that is not an option for me. I can prob get the financed amount down to about 100k. but unfortunately that ruins a lot of plans for the coming months. Man I really ordered at the worst time. Really sucks seeing that I could have gotten 1.9% interest back in May and was even pre-approved. So frustrating
Old 11-08-2022, 04:01 PM
Wayshegoes
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

credit union usually easier to get approved imo. For big auto loans you usually need whats referred to as a bridge loan for approval. Something in the realm of 60-80k. What's you have a loan like that on your credit you can get access to 100k+.
I would aim for 30% down and as long as you have the income not too much debt you should be good. I would see if pennfed will approve you as you will know in a day or two and they seem to be very lenient. If you get approved by them you at least know you are in the clear and then can feel better about reaching out to other credit unions to get a better rate. Worst comes to worst go with penfed and refinance sometime down the road once you have that loan on your credit.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:02 PM
madmilk
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chonson
I also ran into this with American1CU. My issue was a credit score 9 points shy of getting their best rate due to a higher than usual cc balance from funeral expenses for my father. And they wouldn't finance the full amount of the car(minus the $10K deposit) so I'm having to do 20% down on it. Not a deal-breaker but annoying.
AlexCeres (11-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Financing Options