Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Financing Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 09:09 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Not being critical but simply asking a question. Isn’t that about 4% higher than some of the numbers people are saying is in the market at various Credit Unions? Seems extremely high for a car loan. That’s $4,000 a year +\_ depending on your finance amount. Hopefully you got a really good “deal” on the warranty stuff. Did they budge on the ADM? Congrats on getting one step closer.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-12-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:11 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by pettelli
Not being critical but simply asking a question. Isn’t that about 4% higher than some of the numbers people are saying is in the market at various Credit Unions? Seems extremely high for a car loan. That’s $4,000 a year +\_ depending on your finance amount. Hopefully you got a really good “deal” on the warranty stuff. Did they budge on the ADM? Congrats on getting one step closer.
Yeah, myself and others here got 3.49 for 72 through American 1 CU, which is still available through at least the end of the year.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:15 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Yeah, myself and others here got 3.49 for 72 through American 1 CU, which is still available through at least the end of the year.
Good job! That’s a great rate in this market.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by pettelli
Good job! That’s a great rate in this market.
Thanks! I was super happy with it.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:16 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 707 Posts

I actually also got the same with that Credit Union. The reason I didn’t go with them is because they would only finance up to 120k. That would require me putting down about 45k for my down payment. That kinda puts me a bit below my cushion and that’s also without any of the warranty stuff which I was going to buy anyways. I normally don’t spring for warranty stuff but I also have always bought cheaper cars. The discount was pretty decent, saved me about 5000$ and since I was going to buy it anyways I am basically counting that as a reduction in my ADM.

I don’t plan on holding this interest rate for long. A month or two at the most. And then will just refinance when I’m sure my Credit Score won’t put be below Tier 1 financing.

now this might not work for everyone and everyone has different priorities, however for me it was worth it for the discounts and to not drop me below my bottom line for my savings. I could have technically gone as far as reducing the loan amount to 100k but that just puts me in a spot that makes me uncomfortable so I decided to take this route.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Chonson
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I actually also got the same with that Credit Union. The reason I didn’t go with them is because they would only finance up to 120k. That would require me putting down about 45k for my down payment. That kinda puts me a bit below my cushion and that’s also without any of the warranty stuff which I was going to buy anyways. I normally don’t spring for warranty stuff but I also have always bought cheaper cars. The discount was pretty decent, saved me about 5000$ and since I was going to buy it anyways I am basically counting that as a reduction in my ADM.

I don’t plan on holding this interest rate for long. A month or two at the most. And then will just refinance when I’m sure my Credit Score won’t put be below Tier 1 financing.

now this might not work for everyone and everyone has different priorities, however for me it was worth it for the discounts and to not drop me below my bottom line for my savings. I could have technically gone as far as reducing the loan amount to 100k but that just puts me in a spot that makes me uncomfortable so I decided to take this route.
Just a heads up, it may be challenging refinancing a big car loan if you're underwater.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:47 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Exclamation

So update:

I did my paperwork for the car today. For anyone who is thinking about financing with PFS, they are currently at 8.5% and offering 72 months financing plan. So pretty high. I decided to go with them because they offered some nice discounts on some of the warranty packages that I wanted and I plan on re-financing down the line anyways. I currently am sitting at 789 Equifax credit score
Xxyion,

Congratulations on completing your purchase.

Man, the interest rates have certainly changed for the worse since I did my 2021 GT4.
Looks like they are 4-times what my interest was see below.

Date of origination:
10/18/2021
Interest rate:
2.14% for 72 months BOA

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-10-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:12 PM
rusmani
Racer

@Xxyion i just got my GT4 and the car is amazing, so I don't want to be a downer. I know youve been waiting on this thing for months as well and are super excited.

I know it's not my money and I generally say life is short, but I'd give this one some thought. ADM + add on warranty items (which I still don't totally get) + a near 9% interest rate may be a recipe for disaster. As someone else mentioned, You'll be hard pressed to refinance being that underwater (without putting big money down, which you've already said is an issue).

id personally take the 3.49 at 72, put more money down, and tighten up the budget in the future so you're not stretching yourself too thin. The car is amazing and so worth it, but like I said, the circumstances you are getting yourself into may be a lot. Just my two cents. Again, not trying to be a downer, but just want to be realistic and helpful.
MSRPhunter227 (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

@Xxyion i just got my GT4 and the car is amazing, so I don't want to be a downer. I know youve been waiting on this thing for months as well and are super excited.

I know it's not my money and I generally say life is short, but I'd give this one some thought. ADM + add on warranty items (which I still don't totally get) + a near 9% interest rate may be a recipe for disaster. As someone else mentioned, You'll be hard pressed to refinance being that underwater (without putting big money down, which you've already said is an issue).

id personally take the 3.49 at 72, put more money down, and tighten up the budget in the future so you're not stretching yourself too thin. The car is amazing and so worth it, but like I said, the circumstances you are getting yourself into may be a lot. Just my two cents. Again, not trying to be a downer, but just want to be realistic and helpful.
Thank you for your concern! Without going into too much of my personal life, i have some other circumstances which make refinancing this essentially already in the bag. I understand the point about being under, however i'm still putting a good chunk of money down (just not the 50k that i would need to) and just waiting for some other things on my end to clear up before doing the re-financing.

I understand its a massive amount of interest, but my post initially was more to let people know what they would be dealing with if they attempted to go with PFS. I had to do some weird math in my head but overall this actually works out better for me.in both the short and long term.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:17 PM
rusmani
Racer

Thank you for your concern! Without going into too much of my personal life, i have some other circumstances which make refinancing this essentially already in the bag. I understand the point about being under, however i'm still putting a good chunk of money down (just not the 50k that i would need to) and just waiting for some other things on my end to clear up before doing the re-financing.

I understand its a massive amount of interest, but my post initially was more to let people know what they would be dealing with if they attempted to go with PFS. I had to do some weird math in my head but overall this actually works out better for me.in both the short and long term.
Glad to hear it man! Please post pics when you take delivery! Excited for you!
Xxyion (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 09:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,774 Likes on 972 Posts

Ya that has some major danger signs to me too. Almost guarantees you be upsidedown for years on that which means unless you have liquid cash you can't sell it.

I'm ok with risk (I'm not rich and had twice what I make in a year in a single penny stock for example), I also have more property than I should have for my household income. But I'd never buy a car on those terms. As open to risk as I am, if there is no cushion there to liquidate it. There is potentially no way out. risk is fine, but when you risk catastrophic failure of your finances that's a no go zone for me.

Everything I invest in for property has a healthy cushion, 20-30% down and can be sold if need be. I've only financed a few cars because the rate was so low (although I did finance a portion of my gt4 rather than liquidating an investment I planned to do). When you're upsidedown on a car loan to me that usually means you're also stretched to the max everywhere else because in my experience you only finance at 6%+ if you're tapped out.

Being stretched on a big car loan, even if you have 10-20% equity built up, can bring your whole existence crashing down. Can't afford your car and risk defaulting on payments means you gotta sell it, but if it's only worth 100k and you owe 130k, that means you gotta come up with 30k. Can't clear the loan, means you could be forced to sell your property. if the market is crap even though you were up 10-20% in equity means mistiming selling your house could leave you with negative equity again, so you can't sell it. Now instead of being 10-20% up on your property you're facing bankruptcy, all because of a stupid car you didn't need. I'm amazed how many people exist without a cushion and how many people are upsidedown facing total collapse if there is any hiccup in their life. I would never finance an expensive car because I had to finance an expensive car.

Last edited by Zhao; 12-10-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:56 PM
lazrgato
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow you're a life saver! Do you know if they have any restrictions for membership?
Old 12-11-2022, 01:24 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by lazrgato
Wow you're a life saver! Do you know if they have any restrictions for membership?
nope, none that I know of! Max finance is 120k, so if you are over that, you'll have to cover that out of pocket. Otherwise, super easy and smooth process!
Old 12-11-2022, 06:15 PM
enzoatx
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lazrgato
No restrictions at all. You will need to open an account to become a member, which is either $5 or $9 dollars. It was a super simple process overall.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:18 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zhao
Ya that has some major danger signs to me too. Almost guarantees you be upsidedown for years on that which means unless you have liquid cash you can't sell it.

I'm ok with risk (I'm not rich and had twice what I make in a year in a single penny stock for example), I also have more property than I should have for my household income. But I'd never buy a car on those terms. As open to risk as I am, if there is no cushion there to liquidate it. There is potentially no way out. risk is fine, but when you risk catastrophic failure of your finances that's a no go zone for me.

Everything I invest in for property has a healthy cushion, 20-30% down and can be sold if need be. I've only financed a few cars because the rate was so low (although I did finance a portion of my gt4 rather than liquidating an investment I planned to do). When you're upsidedown on a car loan to me that usually means you're also stretched to the max everywhere else because in my experience you only finance at 6%+ if you're tapped out.

Being stretched on a big car loan, even if you have 10-20% equity built up, can bring your whole existence crashing down. Can't afford your car and risk defaulting on payments means you gotta sell it, but if it's only worth 100k and you owe 130k, that means you gotta come up with 30k. Can't clear the loan, means you could be forced to sell your property. if the market is crap even though you were up 10-20% in equity means mistiming selling your house could leave you with negative equity again, so you can't sell it. Now instead of being 10-20% up on your property you're facing bankruptcy, all because of a stupid car you didn't need. I'm amazed how many people exist without a cushion and how many people are upsidedown facing total collapse if there is any hiccup in their life. I would never finance an expensive car because I had to finance an expensive car.
Thank you for your concern! Honestly i mostly view it this way as well, and honestly i really could go down to 120k and finance that if i really needed to. However doing so puts me below my comfort level of my cushion and for me thats just not something i'm willing to do as i wait for a few more things to come through. As stated before though, i will not be financing at this rate for an extended period of time. It was mostly just to get the discounts and "build that relationship" with Porsche as we plan on buying a 911 in a few years. At most i see myself being with this interest for maybe 2 months, and so for me this was worth it for the tradeoff.
I'm not going to go into detail about my personal financial situation on a public forum and honestly see no reason to convince anyone of anything. But i also do try to be as transparent as much as i can when it comes to letting people know whats going on. just know i'm not putting myself in a hole and this was my way of getting things that i wanted at a reduced cost.

Quick Reply: Financing Options