Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Financing Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 07:48 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Thank you for your concern! Honestly i mostly view it this way as well, and honestly i really could go down to 120k and finance that if i really needed to. However doing so puts me below my comfort level of my cushion and for me thats just not something i'm willing to do as i wait for a few more things to come through. As stated before though, i will not be financing at this rate for an extended period of time. It was mostly just to get the discounts and "build that relationship" with Porsche as we plan on buying a 911 in a few years. At most i see myself being with this interest for maybe 2 months, and so for me this was worth it for the tradeoff.
I'm not going to go into detail about my personal financial situation on a public forum and honestly see no reason to convince anyone of anything. But i also do try to be as transparent as much as i can when it comes to letting people know whats going on. just know i'm not putting myself in a hole and this was my way of getting things that i wanted at a reduced cost.
You may already be planning on it but if not you should consider “gap insurance”. If the car gets totaled or stolen your insurance company is only going to pay at the most current market value which will come up significantly less if your all in number is $160,000 (based on an earlier post) and your financing is X. You could end up on the hook for thousands if you’re upside down. Something to consider when financing at a higher loan to value including warranty, sales tax and ADM. No idea how it works but I’m sure the dealer can assist. Just a thought….
Old 12-11-2022, 08:53 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,335 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by pettelli
You may already be planning on it but if not you should consider “gap insurance”. If the car gets totaled or stolen your insurance company is only going to pay at the most current market value which will come up significantly less if your all in number is $160,000 (based on an earlier post) and your financing is X. You could end up on the hook for thousands if you’re upside down. Something to consider when financing at a higher loan to value including warranty, sales tax and ADM. No idea how it works but I’m sure the dealer can assist. Just a thought….
yup! I get GAP insurance on almost every single car i finance. Regardless of what the market looks like, theres always a chance that the insurance just wont give you what the car is actually worth. had a friend be "above water" on his car until it decided to catch fire and insurance quoted him significantly lower on market value and wouldnt budge even with proof. Luckily he still had his GAP insurance on the car which covered the difference.

Even if making the bold assumption that the market will stay similar, you just have no idea what insurance companies will pull, and at certain points its just not really worth the battle.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

@Xxyion Only you can evaluate what works for you. I from an old skool where you don't buy toys unless you can pay for them.

Peter
Old 12-11-2022, 11:28 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 244 Posts

yup! I get GAP insurance on almost every single car i finance. Regardless of what the market looks like, theres always a chance that the insurance just wont give you what the car is actually worth. had a friend be "above water" on his car until it decided to catch fire and insurance quoted him significantly lower on market value and wouldnt budge even with proof. Luckily he still had his GAP insurance on the car which covered the difference.

Even if making the bold assumption that the market will stay similar, you just have no idea what insurance companies will pull, and at certain points its just not really worth the battle.
go with agreed upon value insurance companies and you will know exactly what you’re going to get in the event of a catastrophe.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:17 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,335 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
@Xxyion Only you can evaluate what works for you. I from an old skool where you don't buy toys unless you can pay for them.

Peter
Oh i actually have the ability to pay for the car outright, but thats honestly not the most financially sound path for me. Thats why i'm not worried about the 8% interest as mentioned earlier i will only really be paying for about a month or two.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:46 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

So update:

I did my paperwork for the car today. For anyone who is thinking about financing with PFS, they are currently at 8.5% and offering 72 months financing plan. So pretty high. I decided to go with them because they offered some nice discounts on some of the warranty packages that I wanted and I plan on re-financing down the line anyways. I currently am sitting at 789 Equifax credit score
these terms aren’t especially attractive. Hopefully you can refinance soon. I would consider 5-6% at 60 or 72 months par (interest rates changing rapidly now). In the grand scheme of things, paying an extra 3-4% interest on one car isn’t that big a deal. I would encourage you to figure out how to save the assets to qualify for better credit union rates. This includes hitting their minimum down payment, having a longer standing business relationship so they’ll go higher on the limits (in CA they can do $200K if you have enough history with them), and upping the credit rating solidly over 800. 815-850. Remember you need auto or mortgage loan history. “Installment loans”. Other credit history like credit cards do not count. Auto loan lenders judge you by your auto and real estate loan history and more or less nothing else. With this credit rating, I wouldn’t pay off the loan too quickly. At least not until you have another installment loan lined up with better terms.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:22 PM
chujk1985
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enzoatx
Quick update - I finalized the loan today (3.49% for 72 months), and the process was remarkably smooth. Brandi Deroo was my rep, and from start to finish, the whole process was done in less than a week (primarily through emails and two phone calls).

Brandi mentioned today that they would most likely keep the 3.49% rate until the end of the year.

I looked at a few other options:
  • Austin Telco | 4.49% 60mo | 4.69% 72mo - have used them before but they won't finance out of state
  • BoA (w/ Platinum Honors) | 5.5% for 60 months - this made no sense to me especially based on the published rates
  • DuPage CU | 3.69% 60 mo | 4.29% 72 mo
PM me if you want Brandi's contact info. And a big thank you to @rusmani for the tip!
Hey, would you mind DM'ing me Brandi's info? I'd like to get a rate quote, etc. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2022, 10:27 PM
chujk1985
4th Gear

Those who went with American 1 Credit Union - how has your experience been (esp. if you are out of state) after you have taken delivery? Any issues with payments,etc? Do they have online payments, or just mail in?

Thanks! Any feedback would be great!
Old 12-14-2022, 10:29 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by chujk1985
Those who went with American 1 Credit Union - how has your experience been (esp. if you are out of state) after you have taken delivery? Any issues with payments,etc? Do they have online payments, or just mail in?

Thanks! Any feedback would be great!
Out of state here, and it's been very easy. Can pay online with another banking institution for no fee or set up auto pay.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:44 PM
chujk1985
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rusmani
Out of state here, and it's been very easy. Can pay online with another banking institution for no fee or set up auto pay.
Do they give you the check to pay or do they send it directly to the dealership?
Old 12-14-2022, 10:55 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Do they give you the check to pay or do they send it directly to the dealership?
They give it to you and you co-sign and present/send to dealer.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 PM
enzoatx
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, would you mind DM'ing me Brandi's info? I'd like to get a rate quote, etc. Thanks!
Sent you a PM! Good luck
Old 12-14-2022, 11:07 PM
enzoatx
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
They give it to you and you co-sign and present/send to dealer.
I am in TX, the dealer is in PA and I did PEC ATL delivery. For my deal, America1CU sent a certified check to the dealer directly, and I make payments from Bank of America via bill pay (aka BOA sends a check). The process is super simple and I have zero complaints so far.
The following users liked this post:
rusmani (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 11:21 AM
chujk1985
4th Gear

Thanks all! Happy to hear a well-trusted local CU that carries that great customer service across state lines.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:31 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that American-1 doesn't REALLY crank the rates in January..... my car isn't scheduled to be delivered until March, so I won't have a VIN before EOY, so I can't kick things off now. Damn.

Quick Reply: Financing Options