Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Quick Spyder Market Observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 01:30 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Yeah the only "issue" with the LWB's is getting in and out of them or you not "fitting" properly, they are extremely comfortable once you get in. I drove my Spyder down from Seattle to Los Angeles for a total of a 25 hour drive with the LWB's and they are perfect once you get in. My girlfriend even fell asleep in them as I was going way above the speed limit on the high way with Bose blasting and the top down.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:31 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
There are 13 New, Used, and CPO Spyders on Porsche’s nationwide search tool.

I suspect the few “New” ones are either not available or not at the MSRP price stated.

Economy not really a factor in this equation with so few available. Lots of money recession/inflation proof or people immune/don’t care.

Whether the Spyder spigot is turned off in a month or 6, people will be chasing these well into the future.

Porsche is clear; these are the end of the line for ME ICE offerings which is putting additional pressure to bear.
Not sure I agree with cars at this price point. People with Bugatti, Koenigsegg money....okay. But a car priced in the low-mid 100s is still mostly a car for the "working affluent", who are affected to some degree.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:48 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Not sure I agree with cars at this price point. People with Bugatti, Koenigsegg money....okay. But a car priced in the low-mid 100s is still mostly a car for the "working affluent", who are affected to some degree.
Totally. I am "working affluent". Within the last few months I am personally down more than the price of BGTS I have on order... well, I am still well in black, but swings like that give thoughts about hitting the pause button.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
Totally. I am "working affluent". Within the last few months I am personally down more than the price of BGTS I have on order... well, I am still well in black, but swings like that give thoughts about hitting the pause button.
Completely agree. I am looking for a 718 Spyder/GT4 as a replacement for my 981 GT4 (RIP!), and with these market swings, it makes me think, "maybe I should hold off on that replacement?"
Old 05-12-2022, 02:06 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Runaway, consistent market advancement is a fairy tale. That isn't how the market works (or shouldn't be). People are extremely spoiled by the consistent advance since Obama took office. This huge bubble will burst (is bursting?) hard.
The following users liked this post:
unclemat (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 02:21 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
It’s not the price point necessarily but rather the quantity, yes building 10s of thousand of Corvettes at/near $100K will see a decline for sure. That’s a bubble, same for Bronco.

But chasing a relative handful of the last Porsche ME ICE cars is a little different. We’re talking couple hundred cars a year in a nation of 330+M. Especially in the age of chasing luxury or premium brands.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:29 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Originally Posted by unclemat
Originally Posted by Klepper
Completely agree. I am looking for a 718 Spyder/GT4 as a replacement for my 981 GT4 (RIP!), and with these market swings, it makes me think, "maybe I should hold off on that replacement?"
Here's the question you have to ask yourself in today's situation: If you paid 20k above MSRP for a GT4/Spyder and they drop to 10k off MSRP(you're down 30k) is that something that will genuinely affect you in the next year? Because right now its an unknown, either they could come down in value or they could stay up because allocations are still extremely limited and this may be the last gas powered Boxster/Cayman. So you are basically sitting on the sidelines for the next 6-9months+(cars don't crash quickly) over a potential 30k instead of living your life and enjoying yourself if this is an important hobby to you.

These cars will not become worthless or have a massive drop, lowest the 981 GT4/Spyders have been valued were 80-85% of MSRP which is a good data point for the 718 if there's a large market issue.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:35 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Here's the question you have to ask yourself in today's situation: If you paid 20k above MSRP for a GT4/Spyder and they drop to 10k off MSRP(you're down 30k) is that something that will genuinely affect you in the next year?
Only if you plan to sell.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Here's the question you have to ask yourself in today's situation: If you paid 20k above MSRP for a GT4/Spyder and they drop to 10k off MSRP(you're down 30k) is that something that will genuinely affect you in the next year? Because right now its an unknown, either they could come down in value or they could stay up because allocations are still extremely limited and this may be the last gas powered Boxster/Cayman. So you are basically sitting on the sidelines for the next 6-9months+(cars don't crash quickly) over a potential 30k instead of living your life and enjoying yourself if this is an important hobby to you.

These cars will not become worthless or have a massive drop, lowest the 981 GT4/Spyders have been valued were 80-85% of MSRP which is a good data point for the 718 if there's a large market issue.
For me, it's not will $10k, $20k, or $30k genuinely affect me, it's about not over paying for something. I don't want to buy at the top of the market. I also enjoy the "hunt" for the next car almost as much as the car itself, so I don't think of this time period as "sitting on the sidelines". I have other cars I can enjoy until I find the right allocation at the right price. Also, I am fine with picking up a used car. Although they may stop making these soon, I am confident they will be available in the used market for many years to come.

That's just my $0.02 on my particular situation.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

A question about the Spyder market... with a Spyder RS now seemingly impending, does that help or hurt Spyders on valuation? On one hand it is no longer top of Boxster food chain, on the other hand, with a GT3 engine it might serve to firmly and finally extinguish the hairdresser stigma. Or as a counterpoint... perhaps the GT4 grade Spyder just became Assistant Manager in a nicer hair salon.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 PM
alim24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
A question about the Spyder market... with a Spyder RS now seemingly impending, does that help or hurt Spyders on valuation? On one hand it is no longer top of Boxster food chain, on the other hand, with a GT3 engine it might serve to firmly and finally extinguish the hairdresser stigma. Or as a counterpoint... perhaps the GT4 grade Spyder just became Assistant Manager in a nicer hair salon.
I would guess a handful of people would sell their 718 Spyders if they were able to get ahold of the Spyder RS. The RS will likely be very limited though and would be very difficult to obtain. The impact on the market would be small I would think.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:49 PM
ariazad
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 52 Posts

I think that comes down to whether the Spyder RS is a proper RS car (which means PDK only) or if ends up being something of a “Spyder R” and comes with a manual transmission. The last few nutjobs like me who insist on the pedals will opt for the Spyder over the new model despite every last one of the 9000 rpm’s.
MaddMike (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:54 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Like the GT4RS, I don't think it will do much to the 718 Spyder. Spyder RS will be unattainable for most and likely similar GT4RS massive ADMs. If anything, as the Spyder RS likely creeps up towards the $300k CDN mark over time, I think that in turn likely pulls up the 718 Spyder. I have already seen Spyders listed here for $180-$200k.

I don't think that Boxster thinking applies much any more. Not from what I see and hear at Cars and Coffees. I left a 991.2C4 for a BGTS4.0 because ultimately it is a better sports car IMO. With how the Boxster/Cayman has progressed I think it is car to have if you want pure driving feel over many other Porsche iterations.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:17 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

For a lot of folks, me included, the RS will just be too much car for me to enjoy on the street, so I won't consider my Spyder a second class citizen in any way. It's really about the most car I can fathom driving comfortably given the type of use I can reasonably expect to put it to. The RS will be lower, harsher, and PDK. Three things I don't need or want in my weekend tinker-toy.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 05-13-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:17 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

I think even with an economic downtown, prices for the GT4/Spyder will not be coming down anytime soon. Demand is far greater than supply and we are talking about a car that has a short remaining lifespan before it becomes an EV. MY2023 could be the last production year and almost every dealer I've talked to or heard from has a very large waitlist for these cars.

Additionally, people are still jumping on allocations quickly, even if there is a markup. A member here posted about a Spyder at $15k over that went in a matter of one hour. Another member posted that he took a CGTS allocation at $25k over. There are far too many interested customers (some of whom with deep pockets) to suddenly see the market on this car drop.
SpyderSenseOC (05-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Quick Spyder Market Observation