Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Quick Spyder Market Observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022 | 03:30 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Default Quick Spyder Market Observation

In the market, been looking to buy one but choking on the ADMs out there so I have been selective. Few quick observations, seems like the spring inventory listing craze has started (seems like 10 or so cars have been added last week or two) AND I bid on a couple, below 25K ADMs (but in the neighborhood, offering 15-20k over) and got hard rejected. Interesting point, both dealers came back last 48 hours saying deals fell through. Given the asset markets and supply, can these ADM's hold? I mean I know you pay ADMs on these cars but these seem really rich. Not meaning to start some value versus enjoyment string so apologies if that's how it comes off. Just wondering if anyone else in the market is seeing it soften at all. Thx.

Popular Reply

05-10-2022, 01:42 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
This is how people talk themselves into making a poor financial decision.
I’ve got an entire bag of tricks when it comes to justifying the price i pay for luxury goods. I start off usually by reminding myself that I don’t golf and I’m not a gambler or a drug addict. Look at all the savings right there.
Old 05-05-2022 | 05:12 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ccapx
In the market, been looking to buy one but choking on the ADMs out there so I have been selective. Few quick observations, seems like the spring inventory listing craze has started (seems like 10 or so cars have been added last week or two) AND I bid on a couple, below 25K ADMs (but in the neighborhood, offering 15-20k over) and got hard rejected. Interesting point, both dealers came back last 48 hours saying deals fell through. Given the asset markets and supply, can these ADM's hold? I mean I know you pay ADMs on these cars but these seem really rich. Not meaning to start some value versus enjoyment string so apologies if that's how it comes off. Just wondering if anyone else in the market is seeing it soften at all. Thx.
Demand in theory will also pick up with spring since people will start wanting to drive cars/buy cars/etc. Brand new allocations are still hard to come by, I called a ton of dealers and they were all wanting 20-25k over. Any "good" enthusiast spec Spyders such as 6MT/buckets/PCCB's are all asking 25-30k over MSRP and seem to be selling in that 20-25k over MSRP range.
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:18 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Good question. I suspect if the US market continues to inch towards a possible recession, the demand for p-cars might soften a bit and ADMs might come down slightly in some areas. However, there's obviously a lot of pent up demand for these cars, so it would take quite a hit to the economy to disrupt that demand. And if Porsche announces that GT4's/Spyders will no longer be produced in the near future, forget about premiums going down. But only time will tell.
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:33 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are 13 New, Used, and CPO Spyders on Porsche’s nationwide search tool.

I suspect the few “New” ones are either not available or not at the MSRP price stated.

Economy not really a factor in this equation with so few available. Lots of money recession/inflation proof or people immune/don’t care.

Whether the Spyder spigot is turned off in a month or 6, people will be chasing these well into the future.

Porsche is clear; these are the end of the line for ME ICE offerings which is putting additional pressure to bear.
The following users liked this post:
worf928 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 08:00 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Default makes sense

There are close to 40 for sale now up from around 25 a few weeks ago on the online platforms. Most are used and a few new with really big adms. Market demand was really my question, some have been sitting for a while with 30k adms and I found it interesting a few sales starting to fall through. I know all porsche owners are blind to the adms in GT cars, just a tax, there had to be some fast money from the bubble in the P car market. I know turbos and targas are softening.
Old 05-05-2022 | 08:21 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

There are close to 40 for sale now up from around 25 a few weeks ago on the online platforms. Most are used and a few new with really big adms. Market demand was really my question, some have been sitting for a while with 30k adms and I found it interesting a few sales starting to fall through. I know all porsche owners are blind to the adms in GT cars, just a tax, there had to be some fast money from the bubble in the P car market. I know turbos and targas are softening.
I've seen 30+ Spyders for sale on Autotrader/Carguru's(currently 31 listed) for the past few months while I've been looking, its nothing new. The cars that are sitting depend on the spec. Ones that have enthusiast options/specs are moving quickly: Shark blue/PTS/PCCB's/LWB's/etc.

I'll give you a few that have sold recently I no longer see:

Miami Blue/PCCBs/LWB's/6MT MSRP of 140k listed for 165k. Sold.
PTS Gulf Blue/PCCB's/LWB's/PDK MSRP of 138ish listed for 162kish. Sold
Mediocre spec Sofa/Black/6MT MSRP of 115k listed for 145k. Sold.
One on the forums here that was Python with sofas(https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1289447) sold for 20-25k over he said.

If you can get one for sub 15k over MSRP then I'd say its a "good" deal in today's market. Dealers are willing to sit on cars for months before making any adjustments. Luckily I just bought a Carrara White/PCCB/LWB/6MT/PDLS+ Spyder with 4600 miles after 4months of looking for a great deal. This car never even hit the market.

The following 2 users liked this post by cooler2442:
Chris Danusiar (05-08-2022), evanescent03 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 11:07 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

No matter the market conditions,I’ve always held the personal view if your car is still for sale for more than 2-3 weeks then it’s the wrong price.
That philosophy also goes hand in hand with ‘just because that’s the asking price, doesn’t make it the selling price / actual value’.
Cars that are sitting there for months should be taken as a grain of salt of true value. Despite how hot the market is, if you can’t sell a car easily with a 12 month+ waiting list that car isn’t worth what the dealer or privateer is asking.
The following 4 users liked this post by Prime:
JoeB3 (05-17-2022), Klepper (05-05-2022), lee_337 (05-09-2022), UncleDude (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 11:19 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Yesterday, I had seen a pretty loaded used Spyder with PCCB and full bucket seats (MSRP around $136K) listed for about $135K or about 1K under MSRP. It had about 18K miles, so more than many, but still seemed like a good deal given current pricing. It is no longer listed today.
rusmani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:06 AM
alim24
Advanced

I'm of the belief that prices on the Spyder will drop towards MSRP by the end of the year. It's very unlikely to crash, but the price inflation should come down. With the deteriorating market conditions--from stocks to bonds and even real estate--it's likely that this pandemic-fueled market frenzy is coming to an end.
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:26 AM
rusmani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alim24
I'm of the belief that prices on the Spyder will drop towards MSRP by the end of the year. It's very unlikely to crash, but the price inflation should come down. With the deteriorating market conditions--from stocks to bonds and even real estate--it's likely that this pandemic-fueled market frenzy is coming to an end.
I'd love to believe that and see it become a reality, but I'm skeptical that we will see prices drop to MSRP within the next 7 months. Demand remains sky high and most wait lists, even those with some ADM, are fairly long. Plus the uncertainly of how much longer they will build these cars remains present. We know there is a MY23, but no one can say they will do a full production year of builds. And even if they do, I'd guess they stop for 2024 as they prepare to transition to the EV 718 for 2025.

In January 2022, I found a Spyder allocation at a New England dealer for 20k over and passed. I contacted the same dealer recently to see if they got any allocations this round. They had one MY23 Spyder and were now asking 50k on it. Not saying they will get 50, but I'm guessing they will get a fair amount more than 20.
cooler2442 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:58 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm of the belief that prices on the Spyder will drop towards MSRP by the end of the year.
You won’t need to worry about ADM on allocations by years end…production will have halted by then.

Used prices will then escalate as Spyder RS enters production.
The following 6 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Adrift (05-06-2022), cooler2442 (05-06-2022), DFW01TT (05-06-2022), rusmani (05-06-2022), Zeus993 (05-06-2022), Zhao (05-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2022 | 01:35 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Well you all convinced me. Pulled the trigger on one this am. Thank you for the feedback.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ccapx:
cybers3c (05-06-2022), DFW01TT (05-07-2022), ronbauer (05-10-2022), SmallCapTrader (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022 | 01:58 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

I don't think the auto industry will go back to what it was. Dealer profits are at record highs. Why should they keep all that inventory on hand, and sell cars at discounts, when then can keep doing business this way, minimize their out of pocket inventory expenses, and have better profits. I think we will have to see a serious drop in demand before any business practice changes at this point. And I don't think that is likely to happen. On the flip side, you are also getting more for a trade in.
Old 05-06-2022 | 03:28 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Well you all convinced me. Pulled the trigger on one this am. Thank you for the feedback.
Congrats! Which Spyder/spec did you buy?
Old 05-06-2022 | 05:35 PM
Kgoheen
Rennlist Member

I feel very fortunate having bought my new 2020 GT4 last year at MSRP. (Chalk, PCCB, LWBS, chrono package, yellow deviated stitching).
On the other hand, I would buy this car today with a 20-25K ADM and if ADMs went away tomorrow I would still be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Quick Spyder Market Observation