Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Pointless/Unobtanium Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 07:17 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Of course. Understood. But honestly Ive had to do so much to the GT4 to make it right already, that 'factory' doesnt really mean that much to me - and shouldnt to anyone who cares about the driving experience. In addition to the obvious sales shuffle that Porsche pulls, the cars that they hype even from the GT side arent really that great once you get in them - they are good, even very good sometimes, but not great. This is how I feel about even the GT4 and likely to feel about any other GT product is that the engineers and the marketing team are at odds and what finally makes it to production from the 'factory' is a shadow of what it could be (with very few exceptions and it might be that the GT4RS is one of them). But in general these cars need help from the get go in my opinion so in for a penny, in for a pound as they say... and I dont mind playing around to make a Porsche my own and arguably better than how it comes from the 'factory'.

This has absolutely been my experience with Porsche and the GT4 as well. For all the hype that surrounds it, the real world driving experience does not match, especially for the price of entry. I fell for this with BMW and the M3 "Ultimate Driving Machine" as well.

I will be going back to lonely GM that Porsche fans love to raise their noses at, but the driving experience in much better and rewarding in the real world after you strip away the hype and brand name BS.

I have made my GT4 as good as I can and will not be putting anymore money in it, and will just live with it until my number comes up for the C8 Z06. I know it will be awhile, but I think my GT4 and myself have come to an understanding of what it is capable of and what it does not do so well at and I will just try to optimize my driving to the roads that it excels at. I have already alters some of my commute routes to make the GT4 feel more happy and to have a more enjoyable time while driving it.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:23 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
This has absolutely been my experience with Porsche and the GT4 as well. For all the hype that surrounds it, the real world driving experience does not match, especially for the price of entry. I fell for this with BMW and the M3 "Ultimate Driving Machine" as well.

I will be going back to lonely GM that Porsche fans love to raise their noses at, but the driving experience in much better and rewarding in the real world after you strip away the hype and brand name BS.

I have made my GT4 as good as I can and will not be putting anymore money in it, and will just live with it until my number comes up for the C8 Z06. I know it will be awhile, but I think my GT4 and myself have come to an understanding of what it is capable of and what it does not do so well at and I will just try to optimize my driving to the roads that it excels at. I have already alters some of my commute routes to make the GT4 feel more happy and to have a more enjoyable time while driving it.
Do you understand that C8 Z06 weighs as much as if not more than 3 series sedans and pretty much equivalent in length and width to most SUVs? The problem with GM is GM. They have to cut corners and they cannot go down in size/weight. To counter that they add more power. To make more power consistently they add more software and PTM magic. Corvettes are unique and they are fun but they don't have this mechanical connection/precision to them.

The GT4 you are modding is a parts bin car. I think you would have a different impression of Porsche if you owned a GT3 or GT3RS.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:24 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

LOL you two can make any thread about your poor GT4 suspensions - I'm sorry this happened to you.
The following 8 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Chonson (03-25-2022), dnimi123 (03-24-2022), FASTRKMAN (03-25-2022), gt3rs. (03-25-2022), lilbza (03-24-2022), Prime (03-25-2022), sonorous (03-25-2022), X2Board (03-28-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2022, 07:35 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Do you understand that C8 Z06 weighs as much as if not more than 3 series sedans and pretty much equivalent in length and width to most SUVs? The problem with GM is GM. They have to cut corners and they cannot go down in size/weight. To counter that they add more power. To make more power consistently they add more software and PTM magic. Corvettes are unique and they are fun but they don't have this mechanical connection/precision to them.

The GT4 you are modding is a parts bin car. I think you would have a different impression of Porsche if you owned a GT3 or GT3RS.

The GT3 / GT3 RS are out of my budget.

The actual weight is not an issue with a low center of gravity and a mid-engine layout as it is in a front engine car. I have had many Z06's over the years and all of them felt light on their feet and agile. The only thing missing from a driving dynamic perspective was the mid-engine layout, which it now has.

While it is true that GM does do some cost cutting (don't think that Porsche doesn't as well... 4 wheel strut suspension in a GT4/GT4 RS, long gearing, etc. come on now), the actual driving experience matters more to me and GM does that VERY well in both the Camaro 1LE models and the Corvette.

Regarding the PTM modes, those are AWESOME. They allow you to explore the car in stages and it works VERY well. It all integrates well with all the other sub systems , including MRC. Say what you want about GM cost cutting, but their chassis, suspension, and driving dynamics are ON POINT!!!
Old 03-24-2022, 07:48 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Ferrari, Patek, Hermes, Rolex.

Porsche is going more and more that way also, even with non GT cars currently.

It could be good or bad depending how you look at it, and how long you have been in the game.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:58 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

The GT3 / GT3 RS are out of my budget.

The actual weight is not an issue with a low center of gravity and a mid-engine layout as it is in a front engine car. I have had many Z06's over the years and all of them felt light on their feet and agile. The only thing missing from a driving dynamic perspective was the mid-engine layout, which it now has.

While it is true that GM does do some cost cutting (don't think that Porsche doesn't as well... 4 wheel strut suspension in a GT4/GT4 RS, long gearing, etc. come on now), the actual driving experience matters more to me and GM does that VERY well in both the Camaro 1LE models and the Corvette.

Regarding the PTM modes, those are AWESOME. They allow you to explore the car in stages and it works VERY well. It all integrates well with all the other sub systems , including MRC. Say what you want about GM cost cutting, but their chassis, suspension, and driving dynamics are ON POINT!!!
I have a C7 ZR1, no idea what you are talking about in terms of driving dynamics. Its a rocket ship and gives you sense of fear and instability that is fun at that times but I wouldnt call it enjoyable all the time. Its a very numb car at slower speeds and can bite you so quickly with snap oversteer. I have driven it on track so I know how capable it is below its oversteer limit. Problem is you cant push it without fear of death (literally). Z06 with its carbon fiber wheels, splitter, side skirts dont make it a practical track toy. Its a fun exotic looking car for people who cant afford a 720s or lambo but I dont think it’ll give you the same pleasure GT3/RS does.

Do you actually think the FPC engine will just sort of “work” without any problems? This is like building a space shuttle by government sub contractors. It works on paper until it doesnt and it blows up.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 03-24-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:21 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I have a C7 ZR1, no idea what you are talking about in terms of driving dynamics. Its a rocket ship and gives you sense of fear and instability that is fun at that times but I wouldnt call it enjoyable all the time. Its a very numb car at slower speeds and can bite you so quickly with snap oversteer. I have driven it on track so I know how capable it is below its oversteer limit. Problem is you cant push it without fear of death (literally). Z06 with its carbon fiber wheels, splitter, side skirts dont make it a practical track toy. Its a fun exotic looking car for people who cant afford a 720s or lambo but I dont think it’ll give you the same pleasure GT3/RS does.

Do you actually think the FPC engine will just sort of “work” without any problems? This is like building a space shuttle by government sub contractors. It works on paper until it doesnt and it blows up.
I will give you the snap oversteer on the C5 thru C7 (due to its rear transverse leaf rear), but that is not the C8. C8 is double wish bone front and rear. Having said that, the driving dynamics were still there below the limits.

I have more faith in the FPC effort since it has a proven track record in the C8R race car than I did the LS7 with its head issues. I think GM did it right this time (unlike Ford in their GT350), they took a race proven motor and made it into a street version.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:41 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I wonder why Porsche does not charge more for these cars, they let the dealers take all of the profits? VW is leaving shareholder’s money on the table.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackland:
Odin (03-26-2022), Salespunk (03-28-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:51 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I will give you the snap oversteer on the C5 thru C7 (due to its rear transverse leaf rear), but that is not the C8. C8 is double wish bone front and rear. Having said that, the driving dynamics were still there below the limits.

I have more faith in the FPC effort since it has a proven track record in the C8R race car than I did the LS7 with its head issues. I think GM did it right this time (unlike Ford in their GT350), they took a race proven motor and made it into a street version.
C7 is also double wishbone front and rear.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Correct - the leaf spring is just the type of spring used instead of coils - not part of the geometry.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:04 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

It is different. The C8 does not have the snap oversteer characteristic and has different geometry and spring set-up. You can not compare the previous front engine Corvette's to the C8, it is a completely new chassis and platform.

People make this mistake all the time by comparing something old with something new. New is new for a reason.

Anyways, I have a couple years to wait until my turn comes up for the C8 Z06, so plenty of time for it to be fully reviewed in every aspect. With a refundable deposit, I will keep watching and if anything pops up that is a deal breaker for me, I can always pull my deposit. At which point I think I would get out of the sports car game all together and sink more money into flying and my aviation hobby.

The GT4 and C8 Z06 are the only cars that excite me that I can afford and the GT4 didn't live up to its expectations for me, so here is hoping the C8 Z06 does.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:08 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

@TRZ06 I drove a C5, C5Z, C6Z over the course of more than 10 years. Never tracked any of them, but did drive them 'hard'... though now that I'm tracking, I understand the difference. The reason I left the Corvettes is I felt they were likely well suited for serious tracking (with some mods), but had too many compromises which affected street performance. On the street, I'd say I was as fast with my e90M as I usually could be with the C6Z. And I -definitely- have more fun with the M.

Problems I noted:
- C5Z, C6Z couldn't put power down to save their lives. The C6Z would break tires loose just rolling into throttle in second, and it's good for ~87mph in second. If the tires weren't pretty fresh, I usually couldn't get much beyond half throttle in second on most pavement.
- Very aggressive LSD meant constant power oversteer because I didn't have the tires warm and so couldn't unload the inside tire enough. When it wasn't causing unnecessary oversteer, it'd make the car push in low traction conditions.
- The seats were a joke.
- C6Z had the exhaust valve issue which would always be in the back of your head. Even more on the track.

That said, I think the C6Z is a gorgeous car, and if I owned it nowadays, I'd probably be much more aggressive with tire, brake, etc. selection. And I'd track it so I could a ton more enjoyment out of it. The C6Z felt light because it was light. I want to say the 2006 came in under 3200 lbs. The C7Z and now the C8(Z) are in a different weight class.

I will also say that my GT4 is just now becoming ridiculously enjoyable to me. Part of it are the mods which completely change the character of the car. You have no idea how good the engine can sound if you're running stock exhaust. And part of it is learning the car by running it on the track some. Things are really coming together now and I'm really liking it.

Regarding the OP, I've come this close >< to purchasing a used GT3 a few times... I look at it and think that price is getting where I think I should do it. But then I put it off, come back in few months and... price is 20% more. Did that for 997.1 & .2 GT3s, back in the day and cross shopped 991.2 (yeah it's a different price bracket) GT3 with the GT4. Also learned I couldn't just walk into the dealership and buy a GT4 with the 981, so I got on the ball for the 982 and I'm happy I did. Looking at the RS... when I'm done modding mine, everything except the engine and transmission will >= the RS. And I didn't buy it for the numbers. But I'd love the RS just for that extra 1000 RPM of glorious noise. If I can get one anywhere close to MSRP anytime in the future (clean used) I'll be all over it. Unless I decide I like mine too much by that time.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (04-01-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
I wonder why Porsche does not charge more for these cars, they let the dealers take all of the profits? VW is leaving shareholder’s money on the table.
Must be a shareholder?

Have you already forgotten how many here were bragging about the discounts the got off of MSRP... with statements like: "I never pay MSRP"?

I would be surprised if this current market lasts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
clib (03-25-2022), thejholmes (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:22 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
@TRZ06 I drove a C5, C5Z, C6Z over the course of more than 10 years. Never tracked any of them, but did drive them 'hard'... though now that I'm tracking, I understand the difference. The reason I left the Corvettes is I felt they were likely well suited for serious tracking (with some mods), but had too many compromises which affected street performance. On the street, I'd say I was as fast with my e90M as I usually could be with the C6Z. And I -definitely- have more fun with the M.

Problems I noted:
- C5Z, C6Z couldn't put power down to save their lives. The C6Z would break tires loose just rolling into throttle in second, and it's good for ~87mph in second. If the tires weren't pretty fresh, I usually couldn't get much beyond half throttle in second on most pavement.
- Very aggressive LSD meant constant power oversteer because I didn't have the tires warm and so couldn't unload the inside tire enough. When it wasn't causing unnecessary oversteer, it'd make the car push in low traction conditions.
- The seats were a joke.
- C6Z had the exhaust valve issue which would always be in the back of your head. Even more on the track.

That said, I think the C6Z is a gorgeous car, and if I owned it nowadays, I'd probably be much more aggressive with tire, brake, etc. selection. And I'd track it so I could a ton more enjoyment out of it. The C6Z felt light because it was light. I want to say the 2006 came in under 3200 lbs. The C7Z and now the C8(Z) are in a different weight class.

I will also say that my GT4 is just now becoming ridiculously enjoyable to me. Part of it are the mods which completely change the character of the car. You have no idea how good the engine can sound if you're running stock exhaust. And part of it is learning the car by running it on the track some. Things are really coming together now and I'm really liking it.

Regarding the OP, I've come this close >< to purchasing a used GT3 a few times... I look at it and think that price is getting where I think I should do it. But then I put it off, come back in few months and... price is 20% more. Did that for 997.1 & .2 GT3s, back in the day and cross shopped 991.2 (yeah it's a different price bracket) GT3 with the GT4. Also learned I couldn't just walk into the dealership and buy a GT4 with the 981, so I got on the ball for the 982 and I'm happy I did. Looking at the RS... when I'm done modding mine, everything except the engine and transmission will >= the RS. And I didn't buy it for the numbers. But I'd love the RS just for that extra 1000 RPM of glorious noise. If I can get one anywhere close to MSRP anytime in the future (clean used) I'll be all over it. Unless I decide I like mine too much by that time.
Again, as I noted above, you can not compare the C8 to any previous Corvette's. All the things you noted as faults are things that are not issues (or at least have not been thus far) on the C8. Just like the stock market, you can not judge market future by past performance. The same can be said for a new platform.

BTW, I had no issue getting full traction in my C5 Z06 on fresh tires, the C6 Z06, yes you had to be careful in 1st, but again, front engine, RWD, high HP = DUH!!! Traction limited

Also, I am talking about chassis composure and driving dynamics within the limits. If you over drive any car, you can make it sketchy. What I do not like about the GT4 are well within the limits of traction.

Last edited by TRZ06; 03-24-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:26 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Again, as I noted above, you can not compare the C8 to any previous Corvette's. All the things you noted as faults are things that are not issues (or at least have not been thus far) on the C8. Just like the stock market, you can not judge market future by past performance. The same can be said for a new platform.

BTW, I had no issue getting full traction in my C5 Z06 on fresh tires, the C6 Z06, yes you had to be careful in 1st, but again, front engine, RWD, high HP = DUH!!! Traction limited
With the C6Z, you had to be careful in -second- around here. And when it'd break second, the car would try to kill you. Maybe you have more sandpaper pavement where you are.

Up until I heat cycled out my Cup 2s on the GT4, I can mat it with substantial lateral acceleration in seocnd, third, fourth. This is a car that goes better in a straight line than the C5Z.

Quick Reply: Pointless/Unobtanium Car