Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

APEX Wheels | Forged Wheel Development For 718 GT4 & GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 02:58 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Brandon,
Do you have any opinion about the new titanium Lug Bolt option recently launched by Porsche? Some people say they look aesthetically better for longer without corrosion while other people say titanium bolts are a bad idea because of mixing different metals. What say you?
I personally have some opinions on titanium wheel hardware in general. Porsche Titanium or any other high-grade titanium wheel hardware should be good for street use. Ferrari has offered Ti lug bolts for years on their cars, and I've never heard of any problems with them. The corrosion resistance of titanium is unmatched among other metals used for this job and the weight savings while marginal is a great way to save a bit more unsprung mass. If my car was purely a street car I would consider using titanium lug bolts for the previously stated advantages.

With that said, I do not use titanium wheel hardware, for a job as crucial as keeping the wheel attached I use an aftermarket steel lug stud conversion. I started out looking for titanium wheel hardware when I started modifying my old Cayman for track use but my friend (ex Indycar crew chief) basically said I shouldn't use titanium for that job on a track car due to the fatigue life of titanium. The repeated stresses of wheel installation will affect its strength over time and will subsequently need to be replaced as a wear item. To be fair to titanium, steel hardware also experiences some form of fatigue (although less than titanium) and should be replaced occasionally, especially for track use.

It's great to hear @Westcoast has had such a great first-hand experience with his set, especially for as long as he has had them. I can almost guarantee they look better than steel would have after 7 years. If you want titanium lug bolts for all of their advantages, either the Porsche ones or from the same company as westcoast got his is where I would be looking.

- Brandon

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 03:02 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ADC1
Any pics on cars of with Motorsport Gold color? Looking at 20" VS-5RS. Thanks
Not quite yet, hoping to have some on-car photographs shortly and I will be posting them in the relevant threads for everyone to see when the time comes.

- Brandon
Old 12-01-2022, 08:50 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm excited to put my group buy 20" wheels in Motorsports Gold on my Frozen Berry car lol
Old 12-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Jevi Javi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

will APEX be offering wheels for the GT4 RS anytime soon?
Old 12-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by balucipher
I'm excited to put my group buy 20" wheels in Motorsports Gold on my Frozen Berry car lol
Please post some images when you get your 20" VS-5RS installed, that color combination should be amazing.

Originally Posted by Jevi Javi
will APEX be offering wheels for the GT4 RS anytime soon?
It is something we are working on, sadly I do not have a release date for those at this moment. I am currently collecting customer contact information who want GT4RS wheels from us that way I can notify them when they become available. Please DM us that you are interested in GT4RS wheels and include your name and email address.

- Brandon

Old 12-06-2022, 01:57 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
We have just launched our VS-5RS 19x10.5"ET44 in Satin Bronze to pair with the 19x9"ET50. This is perfect for the GT4 or Spyder owner wanting to downsize to 19" without worrying about toe link clearance. This is slated to arrive in December with the first batch of 20", so get your orders in now while the Black Friday discount applies!

From everyone here at APEX, we hope you had a good thanksgiving and have safe travels.

- Brandon
Have you confirmed that aftermarket toe links are absolutely required on the 718 GT4 with the 19x11 rears? I have a set of 19x11 Forgeline 45mm offset and they clear the OEM links, but just barely. I was looking to get a set of the VS-5RSs, but didn't want to do down to 10.5 in the rear.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:27 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Have you confirmed that aftermarket toe links are absolutely required on the 718 GT4 with the 19x11 rears? I have a set of 19x11 Forgeline 45mm offset and they clear the OEM links, but just barely. I was looking to get a set of the VS-5RSs, but didn't want to do down to 10.5 in the rear.
Yes, you will need aftermarket motorsport-style rear toe links for our 19x11" rear GT4 wheels. As I'm sure you are aware, these are a common upgrade on any GT4 due to the limited range of adjustment from the factory link. We have a list of companies that supply the rear toe link on the Fitment Guide but the Tarett Motorsport rear toe link is the most common for this use case.

- Brandon

Old 12-07-2022, 03:45 PM
Pandaa
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Brandon,

I’m interested, can you PM me for details?
Old 12-07-2022, 05:47 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pandaa
Hi Brandon,

I’m interested, can you PM me for details?
PM Sent

- Brandon
Old 12-09-2022, 04:00 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

- Deleted, no longer relevant

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 01-04-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:07 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

When are the pre-orders shipping?
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
Assad Jarrahian (12-10-2022), qil (12-10-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 01:55 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaddMike
When are the pre-orders shipping?
The current ETA for 20x9"ET50 and 20x11"ET50 VS-5RS has them starting to ship sometime next week, the only exception is motorsport gold which we are expecting to start shipping the following week.

- Brandon
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

The current ETA for 20x9"ET50 and 20x11"ET50 VS-5RS has them starting to ship sometime next week, the only exception is motorsport gold which we are expecting to start shipping the following week.

- Brandon
Excellent. Looking forward to the dark bronze on my shark blue Spyder! I would have gone gold but I was afraid it would be too close to the PCCB yellow but I'm hoping that the bronze is dark enough that it looks different.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:21 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

- Brandon
Hi Brandon,
How much lead time would we get when they are about to ship? I think I was about #90 or so overall (gun metal finish), and trying to figure out when I should order new tires as my car is not quite yet put into storage. Figured I'd hold off on storage until I get the new wheels installed since it sounds like we are very close to the delivery dates. The new wheels are the last mod to complete my project list. Can you update your delivery ETA a little..as in are X number of sets going out in the first batch etc? With all the porch pirates rampaging right now during the holiday season, I also want to make sure somebody is home to accept delivery. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2022, 04:08 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mc3456
Hi Brandon,
How much lead time would we get when they are about to ship? I think I was about #90 or so overall (gun metal finish), and trying to figure out when I should order new tires as my car is not quite yet put into storage. Figured I'd hold off on storage until I get the new wheels installed since it sounds like we are very close to the delivery dates. The new wheels are the last mod to complete my project list. Can you update your delivery ETA a little..as in are X number of sets going out in the first batch etc? With all the porch pirates rampaging right now during the holiday season, I also want to make sure somebody is home to accept delivery. Thanks!
PM sent

- Brandon