Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Arctic Grey Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 03:16 PM
vtplm
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I felt the same way as I originally specced SB then found out about the new color for 2023. I ended up going to the local Porsche dealership and was able to take their color swatches around the building/outside to look at the color and that pretty much sold me. I know paints looks vastly different when it's on a larger scale of an actual car but I really loved the color shift in the different lighting. What color did you end up going with?
Old 10-10-2022, 03:44 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by vtplm
I felt the same way as I originally specced SB then found out about the new color for 2023. I ended up going to the local Porsche dealership and was able to take their color swatches around the building/outside to look at the color and that pretty much sold me. I know paints looks vastly different when it's on a larger scale of an actual car but I really loved the color shift in the different lighting. What color did you end up going with?
Chalk. I know, I know, Chalk cars are everywhere. I'm good with it. I'm not incredibly risk averse either but this wasn't a risk I was willing to accept. AG reads too blue to me in natural light via photos so I had to pass. I ultimately want a grey car, not a blue grey car.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:06 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent;[url=tel:18404011
18404011]Chalk. I know, I know, Chalk cars are everywhere. I'm good with it. I'm not incredibly risk averse either but this wasn't a risk I was willing to accept. AG reads too blue to me in natural light via photos so I had to pass. I ultimately want a grey car, not a blue grey car.
I would say there are way more cars out there that look like AG than Chalk. Yes Chalk is a popular Porsche upgrade color but AG color hue is more similar to other brand colors. I see a lot of Toyota pickup trucks in this car.

If you gave me the option of Chalk or AG it would be hard for me to pick one though !
Old 10-10-2022, 05:10 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I wanted Chalk when I was buying a 991.2 GT3 but couldn't get one and wound up getting a GT Silver. I just don't like the chalk as much on the 718's for some reason. Each to their own.

Originally Posted by F1-DNA
I would say there are way more cars out there that look like AG than Chalk. Yes Chalk is a popular Porsche upgrade color but AG color hue is more similar to other brand colors. I see a lot of Toyota pickup trucks in this car.

If you gave me the option of Chalk or AG it would be hard for me to pick one though !
Old 10-10-2022, 07:01 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
I wanted Chalk when I was buying a 991.2 GT3 but couldn't get one and wound up getting a GT Silver. I just don't like the chalk as much on the 718's for some reason. Each to their own.
That's how I felt about adventurine green. I wanted a 992 GTS in adventurine green but ended up passing on the allocation with about two weeks left to lock; just realized the 718 4.0 is a better value. But for whatever reason I didn't like the color as much on the 718 as I did on the 992...

Chalk always looks good, I totally get not wanting to be locked in to a color you didn't see in person. For me, I'm comfortable with it. It was a bit of a risk but as more pictures roll out I think it was definitely the right call. It actually is the blue that sold me on it; if it was fashion/nardo gray I think I would have passed. The way it shifts around in the Savagegeese GT4RS review is what did it for me. That and the fact that I've seen a couple cars in Graphite Blue Metallic recently and was wishing it was still available; but I think I'll like Arctic Grey better.

Also FWIW I think GBM looks better on the 718 than the 991....

Also just heard from my SA; my car is being processed at the port as I type this and he thinks he'll have it at the dealer towards the latter part of the week.... however, I'm getting PPF done through the dealer (by a local shop they're subletting, NOT the dealer themselves...) so it likely won't be ready for me to take delivery until next week. I will do what I can to pop in for some pictures if I can though.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-10-2022 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
JBM718GTS (10-10-2022), sonicworld (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 09:09 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-DNA

I agree with other manufacturers rolling out AG like colors. Toyota has a variant of the color as you mentioned and Honda does as well.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:10 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I agree with other manufacturers rolling out AG like colors. Toyota has a variant of the color as you mentioned and Honda does as well.
Yeah but Toyota has a blue colour very similar to Shark Blue and is pumping them out with black wheels. Makes it less appealing to buy sports cars with black wheels as every second SUV or truck / Ute has black wheels now.

Ultimately where does that leave us? Buying cars with Frozenberry metallic and gold rims to stand out or paying through the nose for PTS.

I honestly don’t know, but I’m thinking of getting MyGT4 in Arctic grey because production numbers are so low and it’s a later model year colour which could set it apart from the 981 and MY19-22 982’s
The following users liked this post:
bulkychipmonk (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:20 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime
Yeah but Toyota has a blue colour very similar to Shark Blue and is pumping them out with black wheels. Makes it less appealing to buy sports cars with black wheels as every second SUV or truck / Ute has black wheels now.

Ultimately where does that leave us? Buying cars with Frozenberry metallic and gold rims to stand out or paying through the nose for PTS.

I honestly don’t know, but I’m thinking of getting MyGT4 in Arctic grey because production numbers are so low and it’s a later model year colour which could set it apart from the 981 and MY19-22 982’s
Haha, yea the dilemma is real! In 2 years the amount of AG P cars will be just as crazy as chalk.. and white... and silver... and black...
Old 10-11-2022, 08:40 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

SA sent me these today. I pick the car up Friday (will be back for PPF next week).

The following 5 users liked this post by manifold danger:
ChattStringer (07-12-2024), Guaji (10-11-2022), JBM718GTS (10-11-2022), moto_geek (05-24-2023), UncleDude (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 08:46 PM
mslam02
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
SA sent me these today. I pick the car up Friday (will be back for PPF next week).
So sick! Love it! Congrats!

Giving me some serious FOMO! Lol
manifold danger (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 08:50 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats! Arctic Grey looks so good with the black wheels 🤤
manifold danger (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:06 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

beauty!
Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats!!! I bet you're not going to get much sleep between now and Friday!
manifold danger (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 11:18 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Picked the car up last night. First of all, I've owned a lot of Porsches at this point, including the two previous gen GTS versions of this same car (981 and 718 2.5T), and this one blows away even my lofty expectations.

As for the color, below are some shots I grabbed while waiting in the delivery room. Not the best angles and lighting I'm aware, but I have my hands on the car now (at least for a couple days before I give it up again for most of next week while PPF is installed), so let me know what angles and lighting you'd like to see it under and I should be able to comply while I play around with it this weekend. I won't be driving it TOO much but I will be looking at it a lot lol.

Initial impressions of the color is that it's amazing. I loved Graphite Blue Metallic but found it just bordering on the cusp of "boring"; this color is not boring. The color will change as you walk around the car under the same lighting conditions. I can't really explain how or why, but it is very cool.

Also just to be clear, it is actually really noticeably blue under most conditions. It's somewhat rare to find it where the blue almost disappears and it's "only" gray... seems like in direct sunlight is where most of the gray is revealed. So if you want a color similar to fashion/nardo/china grey, I don't necessarily recommend you get this color. It is more gray than the honda/subaru/toyota variants we've talked about though under most conditions, but you can't escape the blue- for better or for worse, depending on what you want out of a color.

Anyway, here are the delivery pics, I'll add more later.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-15-2022 at 11:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
ChattStringer (07-12-2024), Rgwirtz (09-14-2023), sonicworld (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 12:16 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Picked the car up last night. First of all, I've owned a lot of Porsches at this point, including the two previous gen GTS versions of this same car (981 and 718 2.5T), and this one blows away even my lofty expectations.

As for the color, below are some shots I grabbed while waiting in the delivery room. Not the best angles and lighting I'm aware, but I have my hands on the car now (at least for a couple days before I give it up again for most of next week while PPF is installed), so let me know what angles and lighting you'd like to see it under and I should be able to comply while I play around with it this weekend. I won't be driving it TOO much but I will be looking at it a lot lol.

Initial impressions of the color is that it's amazing. I loved Graphite Blue Metallic but found it just bordering on the cusp of "boring"; this color is not boring. The color will change as you walk around the car under the same lighting conditions. I can't really explain how or why, but it is very cool.

Also just to be clear, it is actually really noticeably blue under most conditions. It's somewhat rare to find it where the blue almost disappears and it's "only" gray... seems like in direct sunlight is where most of the gray is revealed. So if you want a color similar to fashion/nardo/china grey, I don't necessarily recommend you get this color. It is more gray than the honda/subaru/toyota variants we've talked about though under most conditions, but you can't escape the blue- for better or for worse, depending on what you want out of a color.

Anyway, here are the delivery pics, I'll add more later.
how do you like the red against it? Does it work?

Quick Reply: The Official Arctic Grey Color Thread