Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Arctic Grey Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022 | 01:09 PM
Jlp429
Track Day

Originally Posted by vtplm
Based on what you sent it looks like it's not an Arctic gray exterior paint problem but the color matching roll bars?
Thats my thought as well, but my SA told me AG paint is on order stop. Maybe I'll ask him to submit it again wi/o the roll bars.
Old 07-12-2022 | 04:23 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jlp429
Thats my thought as well, but my SA told me AG paint is on order stop. Maybe I'll ask him to submit it again wi/o the roll bars.
I see roll bars, which is exactly what my SA told me. (edit: also coincides with a question I asked about PTS, and he told me that PTS was on order stop for 718s). This was a few weeks ago, and I know things change.

I see no need to freak out over this just yet, but it is disconcerting. Especially since my build got pushed back by a month and now won't lock for another 6 days.

I guess I'll know for sure by then...

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-12-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2022 | 04:32 AM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I see roll bars, which is exactly what my SA told me. (edit: also coincides with a question I asked about PTS, and he told me that PTS was on order stop for 718s). This was a few weeks ago, and I know things change.

I see no need to freak out over this just yet, but it is disconcerting. Especially since my build got pushed back by a month and now won't lock for another 6 days.

I guess I'll know for sure by then...
PTS was stop order? I know the produce them in batches, but that shouldn’t warrant a stop order?
Old 07-13-2022 | 07:01 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Odin
PTS was stop order? I know the produce them in batches, but that shouldn’t warrant a stop order?
It's obviously temporary, and I don't know the reason... but the image shared by jlp429 confirms- (lines 4 and 5)

Old 07-18-2022 | 06:52 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, my build locked today. I got no pushback on Arctic Grey (aside from the rollbars, which I switched to gloss black immediately after my SA told me I couldn't do them in Arctic Grey several weeks ago)

My build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPF9IP94

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-18-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2022 | 07:50 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

FWIW, my build locked today. I got no pushback on Arctic Grey (aside from the rollbars, which I switched to gloss black immediately after my SA told me I couldn't do them in Arctic Grey several weeks ago)

My build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPF9IP94

Very nice build, thanks for sharing. My current build is Arctic Grey. I'm still a little on the fence about it since I've yet to see it in person. I've scoured YouTube and Instagram and have found several photos and videos and it looks stunning but would love to see it in person first. From what I can tell the Porsche Configurator has the color way off. My build locks in September so I have a little time. Here's my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PP8PXC87.
Old 07-18-2022 | 08:47 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Very nice build, thanks for sharing. My current build is Arctic Grey. I'm still a little on the fence about it since I've yet to see it in person. I've scoured YouTube and Instagram and have found several photos and videos and it looks stunning but would love to see it in person first. From what I can tell the Porsche Configurator has the color way off. My build locks in September so I have a little time. Here's my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PP8PXC87.
Interesting to see the GT4 configurator is different from the Boxster/Spyder... but I'd still say the color looks on point, maybe tinged a bit more on the blue end compared to the Boxster/Spyder configurator.

All the vids of the GT4RS and Cayenne Turbo GT put it looking pretty much like what's shown. Another trick I've noticed is the shade does change slightly in the configurator if you change the background to the plain white.

But to your point though- it's just the configurator. Until we can see these things IRL it's going to be a "best guess" situation. Well, for me- a hope and a prayer lol because my build appears to be locked!
The following users liked this post:
PorschePaul (10-03-2022)
Old 07-18-2022 | 08:57 PM
USAJoeH
Track Day

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Did you snap any photos? It's certainly one of those colors that takes on a very different tone and hue based on lighting (natural vs. artificial). In some photos it looks stunning and in others I'm not 100% sold. Either way I need to see it in person before I lock in September.

I've been able to find several photos on IG of Arctic Grey on a Cayenne Turbo GT and of course the GT4 RS but no other vehicles. I understand it's a new color for MY23 so it will take some time for AG vehicles to be more abundant.

To blue for me
Old 07-19-2022 | 07:01 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by USAJoeH
To blue for me
Looks fantastic to my eyes.

Can't wait.

In the meantime, I've started noticing similar colors on other non-Volkswagen Group cars. Honda's Sonic Grey Pearl in particular- but also what I think is Toyota's Cement Grey and Subaru's Grey Khaki. There's a couple others I can't recall but I'll be on the lookout.

In most pics and when I see these colors in real life they trend more "default" blue under most lighting conditions. I think Arctic Grey is the opposite; it has to basically be direct sunlight or fluorescent lights to be "mostly blue", otherwise it "defaults" to grey. It would be nice if the color was distinct in this way, but I can't lie, I like the color on those cars too.

Plus I just watched a couple old videos with Graphite Blue Metallic cars in them. I recall liking the color but hadn't seen it in a while and maybe didn't realize it's really grown on me. Arctic Grey does appear to be a very similar color.

In the end it doesn't matter, I'm locked in. Color choice seems to never be easy and is such a highly personalized decision. I've had Carrara White (twice), Black (twice), and Carmine Red on Porsches, I had to mix it up. Shark Blue is a great color too but I feel like it commands too much attention and I didn't necessarily want to pick a color that "everyone loves" per se (looking at the 992 GTS, GT3, GT4 and Spyder threads, seems that everyone loves it so much they're getting cars in that color; it's pretty much officially a trend at this point). I personally can't stand the look of Python Green- I know that's a harsh take but I could never pick that color and I've liked other greens, just something about Python that offends my eyes. Never liked yellow for a car I'd personally own (although it suits these cars and is fun to look at), and the "normal" grey or silver colors are great but just a bit too bland for my tastes. Plus I like the idea of having something just a little different but presumably not too "loud", especially if this color will only get a year or two run on the 718. That's the main reason I went with it over Chalk- the other being Chalk is just too close to Carrara White to justify the extra $ for a special color... plus Arctic Grey exists lol, or I would have went with Chalk. Or Adventurine Green... that was a close one and I had thought at one point I was definitely going to select it for a 992 GTS that I thought I was getting... but just didn't stick. For whatever reason I didn't like the look of it on the 718 as much as I did on the 911.

73 days...

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-19-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2022 | 11:51 PM
Josh1116
Rennlist Member

Even more excited for this color after seeing all of the pictures in this thread! I’ve yet to see Arctic Grey in person and the configurator just doesn’t seem to do it justice.

I’ve got a 992 Touring on order in this color, due in October.

Old 07-25-2022 | 09:35 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Looks fantastic to my eyes.

Can't wait.

In the meantime, I've started noticing similar colors on other non-Volkswagen Group cars. Honda's Sonic Grey Pearl in particular- but also what I think is Toyota's Cement Grey and Subaru's Grey Khaki. There's a couple others I can't recall but I'll be on the lookout.

In most pics and when I see these colors in real life they trend more "default" blue under most lighting conditions. I think Arctic Grey is the opposite; it has to basically be direct sunlight or fluorescent lights to be "mostly blue", otherwise it "defaults" to grey. It would be nice if the color was distinct in this way, but I can't lie, I like the color on those cars too.

Plus I just watched a couple old videos with Graphite Blue Metallic cars in them. I recall liking the color but hadn't seen it in a while and maybe didn't realize it's really grown on me. Arctic Grey does appear to be a very similar color.

In the end it doesn't matter, I'm locked in. Color choice seems to never be easy and is such a highly personalized decision. I've had Carrara White (twice), Black (twice), and Carmine Red on Porsches, I had to mix it up. Shark Blue is a great color too but I feel like it commands too much attention and I didn't necessarily want to pick a color that "everyone loves" per se (looking at the 992 GTS, GT3, GT4 and Spyder threads, seems that everyone loves it so much they're getting cars in that color; it's pretty much officially a trend at this point). I personally can't stand the look of Python Green- I know that's a harsh take but I could never pick that color and I've liked other greens, just something about Python that offends my eyes. Never liked yellow for a car I'd personally own (although it suits these cars and is fun to look at), and the "normal" grey or silver colors are great but just a bit too bland for my tastes. Plus I like the idea of having something just a little different but presumably not too "loud", especially if this color will only get a year or two run on the 718. That's the main reason I went with it over Chalk- the other being Chalk is just too close to Carrara White to justify the extra $ for a special color... plus Arctic Grey exists lol, or I would have went with Chalk. Or Adventurine Green... that was a close one and I had thought at one point I was definitely going to select it for a 992 GTS that I thought I was getting... but just didn't stick. For whatever reason I didn't like the look of it on the 718 as much as I did on the 911.

73 days...

That's fair. Looking forward to reading about your impression of the color and of course pics!
manifold danger (07-26-2022)
Old 08-22-2022 | 08:06 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Any updates from anybody with this color on a 718 (or 911?)? My 718 T Boxster is locking in a few days in this color
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:28 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RacingChris44
Any updates from anybody with this color on a 718 (or 911?)? My 718 T Boxster is locking in a few days in this color
Don't think anyone will be taking deliveries of their MY23 cars for at least a month or so. If I'm not mistaken, production won't start until this weekend at the earliest.

Mine is slated to come in 9/30. I'll be sure to post pics, but admit I get excited whenever someone bumps this thread lol.
Clark_Kent (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:59 AM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Don't think anyone will be taking deliveries of their MY23 cars for at least a month or so. If I'm not mistaken, production won't start until this weekend at the earliest.

Mine is slated to come in 9/30. I'll be sure to post pics, but admit I get excited whenever someone bumps this thread lol.
I get the same "bump" excitement on this thread to only be let down...Now I'm a guilty party lol. I'll def post pix of my Boxster T when I get it. Are you going to do some PPF with it? I'm thinking of doing the full front clip (I autocross and with the height of the car, i worry about lots of pebbles and debris bouncing up off the road on it)
Old 08-23-2022 | 09:35 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RacingChris44
I get the same "bump" excitement on this thread to only be let down...Now I'm a guilty party lol. I'll def post pix of my Boxster T when I get it. Are you going to do some PPF with it? I'm thinking of doing the full front clip (I autocross and with the height of the car, i worry about lots of pebbles and debris bouncing up off the road on it)
I've been back and forth on PPF, but ultimately decided on doing full front and rear quarters at a minimum. The only reason I'm not locked in to doing the full car PPF is I'm getting a Macan GTS for the wife shortly after the 718 arrives, and we've decided we're doing that one full PPF in Xpel stealth, and it's going to cost A LOT. I can get the full front PPF for ~$3k, full car would be around $6k. The Macan will be around ~$10-12k. It will be a game time decision, but it's a ton of extra money for some clear plastic, for sure.

The main reasons for my waffling on PPF is I've seen examples where it may have actually been better to suffer through the rock chips... but also I had a full "race kit" (hood, fenders, rear quarters, a-pillars- basically everything remotely forward-facing) on my 991.2 and it looked perfect.

Quick Reply: The Official Arctic Grey Color Thread