Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 12:57 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
For me, RS means most track focused variant.
SRS isn’t the most track focused 718 convertible?
Old 07-11-2024, 09:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
SRS isn’t the most track focused 718 convertible?
Porsche has stated that it’s a road car, not a track car. The aero on the car is mainly for show. The car can’t be driven at high speed with the top on.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Well, there you have it. I guess the matter is resolved. Guys...don't bother absolutely tearing up your local tracks. Manifold has declared it incapable / unworthy.

Whew, glad we got THAT sorted.

(I rolled my eyes so hard, I think one got stuck...)

Last edited by Adrift; 07-11-2024 at 09:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
993RR (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 09:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
Well, there you have it. I guess the matter is resolved. Guys...don't bother absolutely tearing up your local tracks. Manifold has declared it incapable / unworthy.

Whew, glad we got THAT sorted.
Don't listen to me, listen to the designer of the car.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:01 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Don't listen to me, listen to the designer of the car.
<edited for peace on earth>

Please provide a reference for where they said "just for show". You totally made that **** up. lol

"Not optimized for track" is not the same as "totally inappropriate for the track". Someone posted a mid 7's for the ring in a regular 718 spyder. Assuming the SRS is faster than that, that sounds pretty darned capable on the track.

One of the reasons I have loved boxsters from the start was the look on other driver's faces as they got passed. This will be the absolutely KING of that phenomenon.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-11-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

God, you're a tedious blowhard.

Please provide a reference for where they said "just for show". You totally made that **** up. lol

"Not optimized for track" is not the same as "totally inappropriate for the track". Someone posted a mid 7's for the ring in a regular 718 spyder. Assuming the SRS is faster than that, that sounds pretty darned capable on the track.
Stop trying to convince yourself that this road car is a track car. It's not. Macan GTS will be fast on track, but that doesn't make it a track car. SRS is a 4RS converted into a road car by reducing the aero, softening the suspension, and putting a top on the car which can't be used at high speed. Enjoy the car for what it is.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:11 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Stop trying to convince yourself that this road car is a track car. It's not. Macan GTS will be fast on track, but that doesn't make it a track car. SRS is a 4RS converted into a road car by reducing the aero, softening the suspension, and putting a top on the car which can't be used at high speed. Enjoy the car for what it is.
I'm glad my original sentiment got reinstated in your quote. lol

And I noticed you didn't provide a reference. Ahem.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-11-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

From Spyder RS launch press pack confirming that the priority was road and not track performance:

Chassis and suspension systems

Optimised for driving pleasure and agility on country roads

The top priority for engineers in the development of the 718 Spyder RS was to deliver
maximum driving pleasure on winding roads. The mid-engined roadster uses the same
components, with inspiration from the GT racing world, as its closed-roof sister model, the
718 Cayman GT4 RS. The suspension, however, has been retuned. The final tenth of a
second on the track took a back seat, as it were. The priority was on exceptional
driveability and maximum steering precision that gives the driver a high level of confidence
in the car while providing a high degree of feedback.

But please stop growling at each other. I imagine it is an exceptional car on the track too and I hope, one day, to actually see one on the road.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:56 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Note that many US DE sponsors, including BMW CCA schools, do not allow soft top cars at their on-track events. Rollover concerns.
The following 4 users liked this post by Phokaioglaukos:
Bents (07-11-2024), EXFIB (07-11-2024), Mike981S (07-11-2024), Snowy999 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 11:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Note that many US DE sponsors, including BMW CCA schools, do not allow soft top cars at their on-track events. Rollover concerns.
Beyond a few conservative laps, I would never track a convertible, nor instruct in one. ESPECIALLY a fast convertible.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
85Gold (07-11-2024), Bents (07-11-2024), EXFIB (07-11-2024), Snowy999 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 12:04 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

I can just imagine the hilarity at Porsche Central when they finalized the features on this car, and how it would be "marketed." I am pretty sure they could see the heads exploding all over the internet as people debated (ad nauseum) what an RS is, what a track car is, and where the SRS fits. To be sure, it is a messaging mess extraordinaire. That was pointed out and discussed on this very board on Day 1 of reveal.

Dude, your risk tolerances are YOUR risk tolerances. Preach all you want. That doesn't mean the car isn't an absolute weapon. Personally, I think Porsche is afraid this car is TOO MUCH for the average Joe on a track, and doesn't want people to see them as openly encouraging its use that way. But AP said on release day...this car was "dialed back" (from ultimate track performance as the entire ethos) because people use convertibles less on the track than other cars. That is not the same as saying "not to be used on the track" by any stretch, and it certainly isn't the same as saying the car isn't stoopid capable on a track. RS purist hand wringing or no RS purist hand wringing.

All you "not a real RS" folks can take it up with AP.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-11-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

I'm in the I don't take or ride in verts on the track. That is a risk factor to far for this Boomer. If I live in top down cruising country, that's not FL, then yes I could see owning a convertible. And the Spyder RS is a true RS as that is its designation from Porsche.

Peter
Old 07-11-2024, 12:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I can just imagine the hilarity at Porsche Central when they finalized the features on this car, and how it would be "marketed." I am pretty sure they could see the heads exploding all over the internet as people debated (ad nauseum) what an RS is, what a track car is, and where the SRS fits. To be sure, it is a messaging mess extraordinaire. That was pointed out and discussed on this very board on Day 1 of reveal.

Dude, your risk tolerances are YOUR risk tolerances. Preach all you want. That doesn't mean the car isn't an absolute weapon. Personally, I think Porsche is afraid this car is TOO MUCH for the average Joe on a track, and doesn't want people to see them as openly encouraging its use that way. But AP said on release day...this car was "dialed back" (from ultimate track performance as the entire ethos) because people use convertibles less on the track than other cars. That is not the same as saying "not to be used on the track" by any stretch, and it certainly isn't the same as saying the car isn't stoopid capable on a track. RS purist hand wringing or no RS purist hand wringing.

All you "not a real RS" folks can take it up with AP.
This is a Porsche discussion forum, and we're all allowed to voice our opinions of what an RS is supposed to be, whether SRS is a track car, etc. If you want to hear only positive affirmations about the car, you may find it best to not read RL threads. Your defensiveness about the car indicates that you've linked your identity too closely with the car - not healthy.
Old 07-11-2024, 02:04 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 276 Posts

Personally, I think Porsche is afraid this car is TOO MUCH for the average Joe on a track, and doesn't want people to see them as openly encouraging its use that way.
Wow. Save some Kool-Aid for the rest of the forum.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I'm in the I don't take or ride in verts on the track. That is a risk factor to far for this Boomer.
Same here for this millennial.

Your defensiveness about the car indicates that you've linked your identity too closely with the car - not healthy.
Spot on.
Old 07-11-2024, 02:06 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Dude it is just marketing, chill. People freaked out over Taycan Turbo not having turbo.

RS in the past has been reserved for track car marketing, but Porsche decided to use RS badge on SRS diluting the meaning.

Honestly I don't know how else Porsche should call it (remeber the point is to get max money, not being accurate). Maybe like Porsche 718 Spyder S would be more accurate, but sure enough won't attract as much money as Spyder RS.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Allocation Thread