Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023 | 07:25 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

I got my allocation yesterday!!! They absolutely did drop. East coast dealer, they got 4, with a looong waiting list. Mid 24 delivery. Good luck Gentleman!
The following users liked this post:
Porsche2014 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 08:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

So let me ask you guys.

I bought $1 million in cars from my dealer in the past year, and traded in $300k worth of cars. All of the cars I bought were used at market price, no special discount for being a volume customer, except that I recently got a new GT3 at MSRP with the understanding that, when I’m ready to sell it, I offer it to the dealer at MSRP or market value, whichever is lower, so I don’t really own the ~$50k equity in the car. I also get my eight Porsches generally serviced at this dealer.

I feel the dealer has benefited from this set of transactions more than I have, and they recently got two 4RS allocations. I feel entitled to getting one of those 4RS at MSRP if I trade in one or more cars of my choice at a fair trade in price. Am I being reasonable?
Old 11-05-2023 | 08:22 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
So let me ask you guys.

I bought $1 million in cars from my dealer in the past year, and traded in $300k worth of cars. All of the cars I bought were used at market price, no special discount for being a volume customer, except that I recently got a new GT3 at MSRP with the understanding that, when I’m ready to sell it, I offer it to the dealer at MSRP or market value, whichever is lower, so I don’t really own the ~$50k equity in the car. I also get my eight Porsches generally serviced at this dealer.

I feel the dealer has benefited from this set of transactions more than I have, and they recently got two 4RS allocations. I feel entitled to getting one of those 4RS at MSRP if I trade in one or more cars of my choice at a fair trade in price. Am I being reasonable?
You are being more than reasonable, especially if you have a similar agreement with the 4RS as your GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by Knutsm01:
Manifold (11-05-2023), very green R (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 08:34 AM
disden
Drifting

So let me ask you guys.

yes, you are being reasonable. You should fit the criteria of MSRP customer. I think it all boils down to where you live and how large the dealer is. There may be many customers who have similar purchase patterns to you and whoever steps up to pay the ADM will get the car. As you know I absolutely adore my GT4 RS, more than my PDK 992 GT3. 4RS is a special machine, it’s not faster than GT3 but it’s so emotive and enjoyable where I found the GT3 to be somewhat clinical. In my opinion however perfect garage would be 4RS for the PDK and fun raucous experience, and a manual GT3 for complete opposite drive experience with ability to row the gears in a more refined manner. Good luck!
Manifold (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 08:36 AM
Frank1119
Advanced

Originally Posted by hot-J
I got my allocation yesterday!!! They absolutely did drop. East coast dealer, they got 4, with a looong waiting list. Mid 24 delivery. Good luck Gentleman!
Congrats! US or Canada?
Old 11-05-2023 | 08:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
yes, you are being reasonable. You should fit the criteria of MSRP customer. I think it all boils down to where you live and how large the dealer is. There may be many customers who have similar purchase patterns to you and whoever steps up to pay the ADM will get the car. As you know I absolutely adore my GT4 RS, more than my PDK 992 GT3. 4RS is a special machine, it’s not faster than GT3 but it’s so emotive and enjoyable where I found the GT3 to be somewhat clinical. In my opinion however perfect garage would be 4RS for the PDK and fun raucous experience, and a manual GT3 for complete opposite drive experience with ability to row the gears in a more refined manner. Good luck!
My dealer sells the new GT cars at MSRP to repeat customers, no ADM. But of course they don’t get enough allocations to give every repeat customer everything they want, so they have to ‘spread the love’.

I’m glad that they gave me the GT3 allocation, but since I don’t really own the equity in the car (there was no such understanding when I ordered the car, dealer told me that at the time of delivery), it’s not really giving me much back relative to the profit they made on the cars I bought and traded in, and got serviced. Hence my belief that getting a second GT allocation (with the same strings attached) is a reasonable expectation.

Since the GT cars tend to not depreciate much, I wonder if it would be simpler to just buy them at market price, drive them, and then sell them to whoever I want at market price when I'm ready to sell. I don't like have to plead to buy things, as though selling them to me is doing me a favor.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-05-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:02 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

My dealer sells the new GT cars at MSRP to repeat customers, no ADM. But of course they don’t get enough allocations to give every repeat customer everything they want, so they have to ‘spread the love’.

I’m glad that they gave me the GT3 allocation, but since I don’t really own the equity in the car (there was no such understanding when I ordered the car, dealer told me that at the time of delivery), it’s not really giving me much back relative to the profit they made on the cars I bought and traded in, and got serviced. Hence my belief that getting a second GT allocation (with the same strings attached) is a reasonable expectation.

Since the GT cars tend to not depreciate much, I wonder if it would be simpler to just buy them at market price, drive them, and then sell them to whoever I want at market price when I'm ready to sell. I don't like have to plead to buy things, as though selling them to me is doing me a favor.
You in fact do own the equity in your 992 GT3. It is your car to do with as you choose!
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:06 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

So let me ask you guys.

You are being reasonable. That being said If you have a gt3 already I wouldn't be sweating a 4rs. IF you get it great! If you don't move onto the next one. I think some dealers also respect customers that do not have to have everything. When you get something good just enjoy it and have it. There will be more to come.
Manifold (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:09 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

You will have to decide if paying ADM is worth it to you. You have been a MSRP guy for a long time. Dealers who sell at MSRP have to make at least some of it up somewhere. I think this is understood for many dealers with various hard to get difficult cars. I think its harder to find an MSRP dealer just letting their customers do whatever they want with the cars and repeating giving them more allocations.

I personally prefer the MSRP model you have laid out vs the ADM model.
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
You in fact do own the equity in your 992 GT3. It is your car to do with as you choose!
Is it? When it's time to sell, if I don't give the dealer first dibs at MSRP (or market value if lower), then I presumably get penalized by not getting more MSRP GT allocations.
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poofyo101
You will have to decide if paying ADM is worth it to you. You have been a MSRP guy for a long time. Dealers who sell at MSRP have to make at least some of it up somewhere. I think this is understood for many dealers with various hard to get difficult cars. I think its harder to find an MSRP dealer just letting their customers do whatever they want with the cars and repeating giving them more allocations.

I personally prefer the MSRP model you have laid out vs the ADM model.
MSRP model is great IF I'm offered say 1-2 allocations every year and not expected to buy a lot of other non-GT stuff. It's not clear that I'm being offered that.
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:39 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by poofyo101
You are being reasonable. That being said If you have a gt3 already I wouldn't be sweating a 4rs. IF you get it great! If you don't move onto the next one. I think some dealers also respect customers that do not have to have everything. When you get something good just enjoy it and have it. There will be more to come.
Exactly. The GT3 slot they gave they as the dealer may see that as a more coveted slot over the 4RS and may offer the 4RS to someone who missed the chance for.a GT3. It's all a game of pacify.

So let me ask you guys.

Have you paid any ADM on any cars from them? Sometimes its just cost of admission to aee if you're really in it.

Originally Posted by disden
The 4RS is an experience nobody can understand til in it! With a power band incredibly linear and violent rip of the motor behind your head, youre doing over 100 in a blink without realizing it.
jabwind51 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 09:51 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Is it? When it's time to sell, if I don't give the dealer first dibs at MSRP (or market value if lower), then I presumably get penalized by not getting more MSRP GT allocations.
Yes the equity in your GT3 belongs to you and not the dealership. Every time you trade back a car below market value you are paying a stealth ADM, every time 😀

It matters not, trade back a car below market value, (i.e. MSRP) pay ADM upfront or trade in another car below market, it is a transfer of value from your pocket to the dealership. Time to adjust your thinking and face reality.

ADM will not continue indefinitely, there are approximately 200 dealerships across the US and you are free to shop any of them.

You will be able to purchase GT cars at MSRP in the future!

Last edited by Patrick3000; 11-05-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2023 | 11:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Have you paid any ADM on any cars from them? Sometimes its just cost of admission to aee if you're really in it.
Have never paid ADM, all cars were MSRP or lower. But over the last 12 years, I've done about $1.5 million in purchases and $400k in trade ins, and only three of the purchases were GT cars at MSRP (2015, 2016, and 2023).

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Yes the equity in your GT3 belongs to you and not the dealership. Every time you trade back a car below market value you are paying a stealth ADM, every time 😀

It matters not, trade back a car below market value, (i.e. MSRP) pay ADM upfront or trade in another car below market, it is a transfer of value from your pocket to the dealership. Time to adjust your thinking and face reality.

ADM will not continue indefinitely, there are approximately 200 dealerships across the US and you are free to shop any of them.

You will be able to purchase GT cars at MSRP in the future!
When and why do you think we'll be able to get them at MSRP in the future?
Old 11-05-2023 | 12:26 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Have never paid ADM, all cars were MSRP or lower. But over the last 12 years, I've done about $1.5 million in purchases and $400k in trade ins, and only three of the purchases were GT cars at MSRP (2015, 2016, and 2023).

When and why do you think we'll be able to get them at MSRP in the future?
It may be time to strike a relationship with a new dealer. Breaking out the $ over the time frame is peanuts to them sadly compared to most. Was at a Porsche 75th event and one of the attendees knew I had my 3RS spot with a 4RS already on the way amd I had only ever bought a 992TTS from them and he had always wanted a GT3 spot and even after buying 11 cars from that dealer nada. He asked me how I got my spots and I just shruggedmy shoulders.... there's always more to it than just the volume.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Allocation Thread