Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 10:49 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 567 Likes on 261 Posts

Been a good 20 pages since I popped into this thread.... yep still the same few people recycling the same topics over and over.

Justification conversations are pointless. Why does anyone need a Veyron? Are they worth the ridiculous price they command? Not to me, however I'll never be in the financial position to be able to afford one.

The Spyder RS will sell out, at just about any price, for reasons none other than, JUST BECAUSE!

The end.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:24 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Maybe the mods could put a temporary freeze on this thread until the (supposed) November announcement. That way, we wouldn’t have people just talking about things they enjoy talking about. Nothing but solid news.

Just think…every thread on every forum on every subject could be shrunk down to…what…5% of current sizes? Think of the savings in server space!

Thanks goodness for 29 post heroes like lilbza.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-19-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:37 AM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by Adrift
Maybe TXshaggy could put a temporary freeze on this thread until the (supposed) November announcement. That way, we wouldn’t have people just talking about things they enjoy talking about. Nothing but solid news.

Just think…every thread on every forum on every subject could be shrunk down to…what…5% of current sizes? Think of the savings in server space!

Have you decided on whether you will or won't take one if it does or doesn't have a manual? Or are you still on the fence about a car that you've already justified to yourself isn't worth it, despite having never driven it..... all good, I'll come back in another 20 pages and maybe you'll have come to a decision.

I haven't quite got my post count rep up yet, but I'll take a leaf out of your book and start posting quantity over quality....watch this space.

The following 2 users liked this post by lilbza:
JAhmed (06-19-2022), suterusu (06-24-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:38 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 295 Posts

Maybe the mods could put a temporary freeze on this thread until the (supposed) November announcement. That way, we wouldn’t have people just talking about things they enjoy talking about. Nothing but solid news.

It's 2022, storage is dirt cheap. Your idea would net less ad impressions for the site.
The following users liked this post:
suterusu (06-24-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:39 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Thanks for being such a valued member of the community, Lilb!tch. Feel free to be a patronizing zero more frequently. That’s much more valuable than enjoying shared interest for things with fellow enthusiasts.

I’m out for further banter exchange, unless you have anything better to share than arbitrary criticism. Internet manners / courage / self importance at their best.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-19-2022 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:58 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

Thanks for being such a valued member of the community, Lilb!tch. Feel free to be a patronizing zero more frequently. That’s much more valuable than enjoying shared interest for things with fellow enthusiasts.

I’m out for further banter exchange, unless you have anything better to share than arbitrary criticism. Internet manners / courage / self importance at their best.
Yeesh. That is all.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:13 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

I was going to delete the text to avoid pointless dickering, but then you quoted it. lol
Old 06-19-2022, 01:46 AM
lilbza
Pro

My apologies, I'll make a valued contribution.

To expand on my earlier comment, I have friends who think I'm mad for wanting to spend wanting to spend $280k on a GT4 (yes that's how much they cost in Australia and ADM isn't a thing over here). Most responses are "I just couldn't justify spending that much on a car" and then proceed to tell me about all the things they would spend that money on. To put it bluntly, it's a price point that's out of their budget.

So for you to be justifying whether the Spyder RS is worth the extra $150K+ when you haven't driven it, sounds like it's a budget issue. I don't mean to say you can't afford it, but as you said "If you have no intention of selling, it is $$$ you no longer have. A lot of $$$"

There are people out there who have the capacity to purchase a $300k car like it's a $30k car, and they are the type that won't be splitting hairs on whether it's worth the extra $150k over a standard 718 Spyder. They will buy a Spyder RS without blinking, and probably still would even at $400k or 500k, because they can.

So I'm sure there's plenty of good info about the Spyder RS in this thread, but the majority of posts are those debating if it's worth the money, or whether they would take it if it's PDK only. On that topic, has it been confirmed it's PDK only yet? I don't have time to read through 87 pages to find out.
Frank718Spyder (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 02:06 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Word from the people on here with sources is PDK only. Porsche seems to be saying “very likely pdk only.” Some of us hold out hope for MT, given it is more true to the spyder as a compromised track car (ie street car) anyway.

The banter around the released photos is mostly what will the top be. How would they rig the intake plumbing from those top deck scoops without sacrificing the top somehow.

Limited production; exact numbers debated, with one source saying 1k world wide, and another 2.5k ww, with 1k for NA.

The sum total of what we “know.” So we swirl and BS waiting for the next tidbit to drop.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-19-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Frank718Spyder (07-07-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 02:16 AM
lilbza
Pro

Word from the people on here with sources is PDK only. Porsche seems to be saying “very likely pdk only.” Some of us hold out hope for MT, given it is more true to the spyder as a compromised track car (ie street car) anyway.

The banter around the released photos is mostly what will the top be. How would they rig the intake plumbing from those top deck scoops without sacrificing the top somehow.

Limited production; exact numbers debated, with one source saying 1k world wide, and another 2.5k ww, with 1k for NA.

The sum total of what we “know.” So we swirl and BS waiting for the next tidbit to drop.
Thanks for the recap. Personally, I'd take the GT4RS, but that is more than I can justify (afford). I wish I could convince myself I didn't want it, but I know I'd only be in denial. I'm jealous of anyone that lands an RS of the GT4 or Spyder variant.
The following 2 users liked this post by lilbza:
Adrift (06-19-2022), GT4MF (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 04:13 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by nova996
There are much better cars in that 300k - 600k range. So that's a no from me.

I love my Spyder, but let's be clear, it's a good, fun car for the price. It's not the best I own, and it's definitely not the best car available at higher prices.

Now, the GT3 motor would make it a better car, for sure, but still not IMO in the class of feel (steering in particular!) or purpose or focus or rear suspension or even quality that you expect at 300.
675LT Spider is a phenomenal car at the 300k price point.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:07 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

I drove a 675 at a local track (exotic rental place) and wasn’t a fan. I am sure it was in large part due to inexperience in that car, but I could never get the damn thing to stay in the power. The mandatory ride-along coach said it was the electronic nanny preventing me from putting down too much power with any steering input.

The 458 and huracan and gt3 were all butta, however, with the 458 and (991) gt3s easily the better track cars (in my hands, anyway).

This was, admittedly, in auto mode. It’s a fairly technical track which I hadn’t driven in over a decade (blind entry, downhill, off camber corners and such), so I stayed in Newb Mode. lol

Last edited by Adrift; 06-19-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:01 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I drove a 675 at a local track (exotic rental place) and wasn’t a fan. I am sure it was in large part due to inexperience in that car, but I could never get the damn thing to stay in the power. The mandatory ride-along coach said it was the electronic nanny preventing me from putting down too much power with any steering input.

The 458 and huracan and gt3 were all butta, however, with the 458 and (991) gt3s easily the better track cars (in my hands, anyway).

This was, admittedly, in auto mode. It’s a fairly technical track which I hadn’t driven in over a decade (blind entry, downhill, off camber corners and such), so I stayed in Newb Mode. lol
675 can't be driven in auto, that's just for traffic. Set it to Active mode with th3 gearbox in sport or track and she will blpw your mind. A different world to a gt3, 458 or huracan. It is a mini P1!

None of the cars you mentioned come close. Trust me on that.
Adrift (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 10:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

They made you leave the panel off, with H & P controls active there are few road cars more enjoyable to drive on track. Almost perfect... until the 765LT came along and reset every standard.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:49 AM
Frank718Spyder
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
The car will be PDK.
I am fine with that. Great gearbox.
JAhmed (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread