Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 04:10 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That's the most profound insight I've read on RL in quite a while.

You're right, negatives can function as positives because they turn attention towards the actual positives and can make driving more of an 'experience'.

For example, when you have to work to remove the top, you've earned the open top experience and may savor it more. When the car lacks mid-range torque, you have to pay more attention to your gear selection, and when you get it right, are rewarded with sound and fury.
Fury. Great word choice.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:26 PM
HoYeah
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the most profound insight I've read on RL in quite a while.

You're right, negatives can function as positives because they turn attention towards the actual positives and can make driving more of an 'experience'.

For example, when you have to work to remove the top, you've earned the open top experience and may savor it more. When the car lacks mid-range torque, you have to pay more attention to your gear selection, and when you get it right, are rewarded with sound and fury.
AMEN to that! 👍
Old 02-28-2024, 05:31 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
If Porsche only made one kind of car, life would be boring. It's brilliant that they can slice the pie so thinly and make products for a wide variety of audiences, all of whom can enjoy the type of car that speaks to them specifically. I get the human brain's desire to always compare things, but we can also appreciate things in a way that doesn't have to be zero sum.

Some view the SRS top as a hassle, and it objectively is when compared to 981/982 Spyder top, which is more of a hassle than the traditional Boxster top. But I actually appreciated the two-piece nature of the 987 Spyder top and wished they would bring back the Bimini / sun shade capability of that top in a more modern Spyder, and lo and behold, Porsche did exactly that and paired it with one of the best motors in the world to boot. To me, that's the appeal of the car. The top is not a bug, it's a feature.
I agree that a portion of the appeal for me is the roof. This car is not made to have a roof, and that is spectacular. So I have to take 2-3 minutes to put the top on or off, so what? Am I in that much of a hurry? No. I have no problem having to deal with the roof to be able to drive this car and have it in my garage. April can't get here soon enough (assuming TYD is correct...).
The following users liked this post:
Leonel (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:39 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The numbers don't appear to tell the story on this topic. The 9A2 Evo feeling more torquey low down is becoming a consistent comment. I can't explain it, and have no seat time in RS to say for myself but I think there's something to it. Maybe it is the perception of power because of the sound - no idea.
I have been the only one here saying this re the midrange torque. Why only a few reviewers point this out is beyond me.

My 6MT C-GTS 4.0 pulls at least as strong if not stronger than my 4RS until ~6000. I know on paper that should not be the case. The GT3 engine should have more hp and torque everywhere. Plus the 4RS has significantly shorter gearing. But my butt dyno and cursory timing says otherwise. If anything, the loud and super-aggressive intake growl in the 4RS makes its lack of midrange pull all the more apparent. All sound, no fury!

That said, there is no comparison when it comes to the suspension. The GTS is underdamped, especially the rear, giving rise to too much body motion. Imo the 4RS with PASM in firm is near perfect, certainly for stock: properly stiff and controlled, but not harsh -- except on broken pavements.

As to whether the 4RS's intake growl is pleasurable or not it's a matter of personal taste. But there is no denying it is special. Even in cars with great exhaust sound what you hear from the driver's seat may not be all that great (even the consensus great CGT.) Plus, face it, exhaust sound is tunable/fixable with a few thousand bucks. Intake sound is in a different category. Few cars have it: Mac F1, Singer DLS, E46 M3CSL -- that's about it. In short spurts, the 4RS soundtrack is very special. Otoh, sustained full throttle above 5000? I would need good earplugs.

The following 3 users liked this post by alcc:
Manifold (02-28-2024), Mike981S (02-29-2024), UncleDude (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:53 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I agree that a portion of the appeal for me is the roof. This car is not made to have a roof, and that is spectacular. So I have to take 2-3 minutes to put the top on or off, so what? Am I in that much of a hurry? No. I have no problem having to deal with the roof to be able to drive this car and have it in my garage. April can't get here soon enough (assuming TYD is correct...).
Agreed. We have the regular Spyder and its roof is part of the appeal. We are involved in the process of opening and closing the roof. It isn't just push-button. The SRS roof isn't that different and with 2 (there will almost always be 2 of us) the roof should be quite manageable and reasonably quick to put up or down.
The following 2 users liked this post by rcfun33:
mwar99 (02-28-2024), n4v4nod (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:58 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 143 Posts

AGREED! I always felt my BGTS (especially with the tune) was just as strong (if not stronger) in the mid-range.

Originally Posted by alcc
I have been the only one here saying this re the midrange torque. Why only a few reviewers point this out is beyond me.

My 6MT C-GTS 4.0 pulls at least as strong if not stronger than my 4RS until ~6000. I know on paper that should not be the case. The GT3 engine should have more hp and torque everywhere.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:17 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow, an honest review. I haven't driven any of those three cars, but have driven some related cars, and most of their comments resonate me.

I went with 4RS over SRS because, in an RS car, I want the more aggressive suspension and ability to track the car.

SRS looks fantastic, but the top is an issue, and I'm not sure that a convertible needs to attempt to be an RS. So the Boxster GTS variants have a lot of appeal to me, and I'd get those in manual.

Based on driving the 4RS, I do find that the sound is somewhat raspy and tinny compared to the 992 GT3, which has a meatier sound. And I also share the observation that there's not much mid-range torque in the car, it feels somewhat weak until the revs are wound up. 992 GT3 doesn't suffer that problem, and even the 991.1 GT3 felt more muscular in the mid range than the 4RS (and presumably SRS also).
Same guy Dan chose the T over the Touring and now the GTS over the RS. ....he likes the underdog...

Gorthaur (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:29 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Same guy Dan chose the T over the Touring and now the GTS over the RS. ....he likes the underdog...
Instead of comparing hard performance metrics and giving a hard analysis of the performance both on its own and compared with other cars, these guys make 75% of the discussion about price and value. Who cares!

Also — if a woman is on her monthly cycle — why would she show up to the studio to shoot the adult scene? Why the heck are we testing a Spyder RS with Cup 2 tires in 38-degree WET weather? This is borderline insanity, and we know just how stupid it is. What possible performance capabilities could they have studied? Wow, they accelerated the car in a straight line and recorded the sound! I guess that’s why the discussion devolved into one about value and price.

So far I have still not learned anything from any of these reviews… Matt Farah’s was decent but he (admittedly) is heavily biased towards (a) manual transmission in his 718 Spyder, and (b) his 718 Spyder by virtue of DeMan 4.5L engine conversion. So that review was also not on the level.

All these reviews do is state in abstract generalization how wonderful the car is, how wonderful other Porsches are, how wonderful the manual gearbox is, and how “best in class” the PDK transmission is.
Gorthaur (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:47 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Instead of comparing hard performance metrics and giving a hard analysis of the performance both on its own and compared with other cars, these guys make 75% of the discussion about price and value. Who cares!

Also — if a woman is on her monthly cycle — why would she show up to the studio to shoot the adult scene? Why the heck are we testing a Spyder RS with Cup 2 tires in 38-degree WET weather? This is borderline insanity, and we know just how stupid it is. What possible performance capabilities could they have studied? Wow, they accelerated the car in a straight line and recorded the sound! I guess that’s why the discussion devolved into one about value and price.

So far I have still not learned anything from any of these reviews… Matt Farah’s was decent but he (admittedly) is heavily biased towards (a) manual transmission in his 718 Spyder, and (b) his 718 Spyder by virtue of DeMan 4.5L engine conversion. So that review was also not on the level.

All these reviews do is state in abstract generalization how wonderful the car is, how wonderful other Porsches are, how wonderful the manual gearbox is, and how “best in class” the PDK transmission is.
Time to step away from the keyboard for an hour LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
348SStb (02-28-2024), Ferrarisimo (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:50 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Time to step away from the keyboard for an hour LOL.
Haha. The analogy works! Perfectly.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:36 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 316 Posts

Honestly, all the hate on the SRS in this thread only makes me want the SRS more. It's a long 5 months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
n4v4nod (02-29-2024), rcfun33 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Honestly, all the hate on the SRS in this thread only makes me want the SRS more. It's a long 5 months.
The spirit animal is not for everyone or even many.

Lol…GTS comparo, but they said same about regular Spyder.

Can’t wait; under 100 days.
The following 5 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
348SStb (02-28-2024), Adrift (02-29-2024), Leonel (02-28-2024), McClown (02-28-2024), n4v4nod (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:35 AM
emkae
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts
Default SRS

BGTS is gone. June delivery for SRS. It’s a different league.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:57 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Hate? Come on, nothing wrong with some healthy debate. Sure there’s always a few ***** around here, but remember when the turbo 4 718 was rolled out? That was hate!
Old 02-29-2024, 01:14 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 846 Likes on 443 Posts

no point in debating/convincing other what you believe, it's a car you either buy it or not

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread