Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 11:00 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
Where is everyone on the windshield frame? Matching body color, or matt black? Ever since the launch model / video debut of the Spyder RS w/ matt black frames, the painted ones really look weird now. Looking at it from the side, with the matt black windshield frame, I feel that car's body shape / profile is much more accentuated. Anyone else share my view?
so funny I’ve been deliberating this. My current thinking is painted since I’m niot doing weissach. I think you need the exposed hood to flow into the matte black frame, if you look at all the YouTube videos and press cars. The weissach cars have the matte frame and the non weissach cars have the painted ones
Old 11-05-2023, 11:00 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Matte Black for me, no question.
Makes me wanna repaint my 718 Spyder window frame to matt black also

But to be honest, this is a crisis situation for me right now. Having an allocation, it's a good problem to have, but the color options, and the vents / ducts are running havoc on the vehicle's appearance. On one hand, solid hood doesn't look right in any color with those black accent ducts and vents. If I had the partially painted hood, I'm not a big fan of exposed carbon hood. I recall configuring the 718 Spyder was much more enojoyable experience. This is really frusrating.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:02 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 291 Posts

Where is everyone on the windshield frame? Matching body color, or matt black? Ever since the launch model / video debut of the Spyder RS w/ matt black frames, the painted ones really look weird now. Looking at it from the side, with the matt black windshield frame, I feel that car's body shape / profile is much more accentuated. Anyone else share my view?
The configurator says “wrapped” in matte black. Considering Porsche tried its hand recently in offering paint protection film (installed at the port and it was horrible) — is this windshield frame thing a “wrap” and not actually painted at the factory?
Old 11-05-2023, 11:03 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,091 Posts

RY WP hood strip black windshield surround…mmmmm
Old 11-05-2023, 11:09 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,215 Posts

……..and silver wheels
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 11:09 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

That combo works. But I'm definitely not a yellow guy. I'm betting that would look really sharp and flashy.

I'm sure the ducts will grow on me. If I was being honest, I'm more pissed off about the alcantara only option for the Weissach Package. I'm going to call the delaer and see if Porsche would entertain a Cxx option to swap out the alcantara dash with a leather one.
Jay Cordeiro (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 11:11 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by jlee504
so funny I’ve been deliberating this. My current thinking is painted since I’m niot doing weissach. I think you need the exposed hood to flow into the matte black frame, if you look at all the YouTube videos and press cars. The weissach cars have the matte frame and the non weissach cars have the painted ones
I did not notice that about the frame / weissach combo. I am getting the Weissach but also debating whether to just paint the whole hood with body color. I'll probably stick with the matt black regardless which way I go. I really think it accentuates the body / body line more with it being black.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:11 PM
Hwy
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I have actually found the brake dust to be very tolerable on the 4RS compared to other cars so I am going to keep my hands and money in my pockets rather than ticking PCCB. Well, the hands will come out to wash the alloys every now and then.

I read the mat black windscreen surround as a film wrap. Honestly- you can take it to any PPF shop and ask them to install it if you change your mind and must have it. Personally- I think it depends on what color you get the SRS in which determines if the windscreen wrap looks cool or not.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:29 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy
I
I read the mat black windscreen surround as a film wrap. Honestly- you can take it to any PPF shop and ask them to install it if you change your mind and must have it.
Well the configurator says Matte Black Wrap, but does not use the word “film”.

Given that’s a high impact area would be surprised it’s film. In the configurator looks like an overlay panel. Online pictures looks like a panel.

I dunno…anybody look at this at RR7?

I’m going OEM regardless, but it would be nice to know
Old 11-06-2023, 03:30 AM
Koizami
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
On the contrary, I believe the WP with the carbon fiber rearview mirror makes the matte black frame appear discordant, as there's too much black. Without the WP, the rearview mirror matches the body color, making a matte black frame look more layered and attractive. At least, that's my perspective.
The following are two examples:

Last edited by Koizami; 11-06-2023 at 03:34 AM.
jlee504 (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 04:27 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Koizami
On the contrary, I believe the WP with the carbon fiber rearview mirror makes the matte black frame appear discordant, as there's too much black. Without the WP, the rearview mirror matches the body color, making a matte black frame look more layered and attractive. At least, that's my perspective.
The following are two examples:

unless the above it's a PTS Ruby, this is how it really look Neo Ruby under same light conditions

Last edited by fxz; 11-06-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:24 AM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

the color options, and the vents / ducts are running havoc on the vehicle's appearance. On one hand, solid hood doesn't look right in any color with those black accent ducts and vents.
It is tough to visualize until its done so I am thinking of wrapping the vents/ducts to match the body colour. Atleast that way it can be changed back if I ever decide to sell it.

But still haven't decided on colour.

Last edited by Jay Cordeiro; 11-06-2023 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:32 AM
geistspyder
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

With having an allocation, what if any are extra requirements put on to secure a build slot? I have been told I need to purchase a watch and a cost $$$$ on options
Old 11-06-2023, 05:35 AM
McClown
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think the handling of the 718 GT4 is superior to the 981 GT4. I assume I'd feel the same with the Spyder versions.

Judging from driving a 4RS and my McLaren 570, I expect that a McLaren spider will outperform the SRS. I think the SRS is desirable at MSRP, but at a big ADM I'm definitely a pass.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to the physically smaller footprint of the RS over our narrow roads, but to say it will handle better than my 675LT Spider is, at the very least, a bit of a stretch.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:42 AM
Koizami
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

The salesperson just called me and I got the allocation for January next year. Now, the decision is up to me!

The MSRP price, plus have to buy some Porsche accessories (clothes, hats, key cases, etc., 2000 dollars).

I'm a little indecisive! Help me boys!

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread