Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What did you buy your 718 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:59 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Got this gadget in the mail today. 1 day after I was at the track 😆
You're gonna love it! They make a cage mount for it that you might consider getting, especially if your track day people have rules about how things get mounted and don't like suction cups without tethers.

The following users liked this post:
TRSCobra (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 03:53 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

akrapovic original gt4 exhaust tips if anyone needs,we have then on stock and posted photos with measurements also if anyone wants to retrofit them.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by ProtechpartsEU:
BlueSpotAutowrks (03-28-2024), pgap718 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 03:54 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
You're gonna love it! They make a cage mount for it that you might consider getting, especially if your track day people have rules about how things get mounted and don't like suction cups without tethers.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered the TMI Racing tether mount setup to keep mine from flying out.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:39 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Got this gadget in the mail today. 1 day after I was at the track 😆

Would getting one of these make sense for someone like myself who is just beginning to get sucked into the track world; or is it too much for a novice driver?
I recently bought a GoPro 12, which will fixed mounted on the tower bar behind the seats, so I will at least be able to look back on footage from my laps, and try to learn from this alone.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:34 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 552 Posts

Mike - wait to start with data. Start with taking in what your instructors are imparting. Happy to talk about this with you in more detail- call me over the weekend or catch me at the track next week. Data is good somewhere after roughly 15 track days or so. Before that you need to develop general awareness and comfort on track and have a basic sense of braking points, turn in and track out points, smooth inputs, managing traffic, etc. I think your idea of some basic video is a good way to start. At best data in your first few events is a waste, at worst people start chasing lap times before they're safe on track and get themselves into trouble. You can cross post in the racing and DE forum - I suspect my answer will be mainstream.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-27-2024 at 09:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ldamelio:
BoxKing (03-27-2024), GarrettGTS (03-29-2024), UncleDude (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:24 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Would getting one of these make sense for someone like myself who is just beginning to get sucked into the track world; or is it too much for a novice driver?
I recently bought a GoPro 12, which will fixed mounted on the tower bar behind the seats, so I will at least be able to look back on footage from my laps, and try to learn from this alone.
Really depends on your level of experience. I consider myself a novice, having only a handful of track days under my belt, although 1 of those was a racing school at my local track.

I just got my solo sign off through the school and moved to B group with the local PCA chapter, so I'm making decent progress in my sport driving skill set. At my last track day, my school instructor was highly recommending the catalyst for my continued skills development. Being able to identify mistakes without having an instructor in the car is really helpful, but I will agree you need a safe driving foundation to build that off of before it will make any real difference.
BoxKing (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:22 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

@TRSCobra @ldamelio
I figured I was getting ahead of myself, prolly due to my obsessive need to always be overly prepared for everything. I'll move on from this until next season, and take the advice to focus on my foundations first.

To keep in line with this thread:
Received yesterday - "Used", but never used Rennline Tow Hook, half off!

tigerhonaker (03-28-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:47 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,219 Posts

@TRSCobra @ldamelio
I figured I was getting ahead of myself, prolly due to my obsessive need to always be overly prepared for everything. I'll move on from this until next season, and take the advice to focus on my foundations first.

To keep in line with this thread:
Received yesterday - "Used", but never used Rennline Tow Hook, half off!

Hopefully won't be needed this weekend. Just kidding, it won't be needed. Same one I got on my Cayman, and always a good idea to have when you go out on track.
Some regions even require it (or strongly suggest it).
It's a case of "if you have it, you won't need it" (kinda like an umbrella).
So, my advice, bring both...
lovetoturn (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:59 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Hopefully won't be needed this weekend. Just kidding, it won't be needed. Same one I got on my Cayman, and always a good idea to have when you go out on track.
Some regions even require it (or strongly suggest it).
It's a case of "if you have it, you won't need it" (kinda like an umbrella).
So, my advice, bring both...

I installed over the weekend.
Almost thought I bought the wrong version for the 718/982 until I remembered it was reverse threaded
Old 04-02-2024, 02:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by mslam02
Though this is cheating since it wasn't purchased or installed today, I did install it last week - super easy install! New (to me) JCR titanium silenced exhaust!

Very nice, you are going to love the sound! I really like the colour of the Spyder as well, PM sent...
Old 04-02-2024, 02:12 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

As others have mentioned, data, any kind of data system, really start to get useful when you're consistent, if your lap times are all over the place, they're less useful because you can't start to make changes and observe the differences. As an instructor I'd rather my student was relatively slow but consistent then sometimes quick, and the next lap 10 seconds off the previous time (traffic not included). For the money I'm a big fan of the Catalyst system. Does it give information you can't get out of Harry's or other lap timers? perhaps not, but it's easily digestible while at the track, you don't have to fire up a laptop and then look at data obsessively between runs. When I raced Karts I did that, but for HPDE I just don't want to. The catalyst will show me on it's display a few things to think about on my next session, so I look at it a few minutes before going out, decide to try this or that, and then do it.

The other thing I love is the very visible delta timer, when a lap is slower due to traffic or whatever, I'll then start messing with lines in corners and note if the delta timer goes to slower or faster, if it's faster I'll try that on my next solid lap and see how it feels.
BoxKing (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 02:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

BoxKing (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 02:41 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Yeah yeah, I get it. Im not trying to become "Rookie of the Year" over here!
I figured the data would be more useful for my case post event. Im going to hold off on this till next year, or the following (so I say). I will most likely need to add Toe Links, Front Camber Plates and a new alignment by next season, so the $1000 will be best applied to those upgrades.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Yeah yeah, I get it. Im not trying to become "Rookie of the Year" over here!
I figured the data would be more useful for my case post event. Im going to hold off on this till next year, or the following (so I say). I will most likely need to add Toe Links, Front Camber Plates and a new alignment by next season, so the $1000 will be best applied to those upgrades.
Actually, the best upgrade you could get for that $1000 is seat time and instruction. Spend it there first.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Banana S (04-02-2024), Cyclman (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 02:59 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Actually, the best upgrade you could get for that $1000 is seat time and instruction. Spend it there first.
Already on it. Looking to do 2 more weekends this year:
-Thunderbolt - probably with MOe in July.
- Pocono with RTR in Sept. (this is a definite)

ps.. forgot I have to get my hair-did @ 4:30pm today. I'll be free to chat anytime that works for you after 5.

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today?