Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Side Air Intake Grills: Available

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:04 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
My first attempt to install these was a failure - I just couldn't get the side grill off, and I didn't want to damage the car or the paint.

I did find another video showing the removal, but the camera is in the way for the most important part of the process (the start) and it's in Japanese. YouTube will translate the audio into English if you turn that setting on, but trust me, there is nothing to be gained from reading the translation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zH34by38U

I may give it another shot this weekend, but I've got this "Do No Harm" rule with my cars when doing mods, and this is starting to feel too risky to me. I've got a couple sets of plastic trim removal tools, but it feels like a thin spackle knife might be required to pry the grill out and get things started. But metal and paint do not mix well, even with 3-4 layers of protective tape.
These grilles are another level of force required to remove compared to the 981 side intake trim pieces. @Larry Cable can you help here? I know you had some struggles but were able to complete the trim removal.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

The following users liked this post:
slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:04 AM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
My first attempt to install these was a failure - I just couldn't get the side grill off, and I didn't want to damage the car or the paint.

I did find another video showing the removal, but the camera is in the way for the most important part of the process (the start) and it's in Japanese. YouTube will translate the audio into English if you turn that setting on, but trust me, there is nothing to be gained from reading the translation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zH34by38U

I may give it another shot this weekend, but I've got this "Do No Harm" rule with my cars when doing mods, and this is starting to feel too risky to me. I've got a couple sets of plastic trim removal tools, but it feels like a thin spackle knife might be required to pry the grill out and get things started. But metal and paint do not mix well, even with 3-4 layers of protective tape.
To get the trim tool inserted at the start, I found it helpful to put a hand inside the trim piece and gently pull it outwards to create a small gap between the trim and the paint. Then I could relatively easily get the trim tool inserted without harming paint. Also, look at the photos I posted above and note the locations of the tabs - particularly the ones on top and bottom. These buggers were the worst part for me as I believe they had an small dab of adhesive on them (shown in white on my photos). I had to "wiggle" the trim piece once the first three clips along the front edge were popped out of their holes in order to break the adhesion. All the perimeter tabs are smaller than the clips along the front edge, and they also have a little lip to hold them in place, just like the larger 3 clips. Probably not explaining that very well, but once you get the piece out, it'll make sense to you.

Be careful and take your time as you stated. Even though I did the same, I did break a tab on one side, but upon reinsertion of the trim piece, it still "popped" back in and feels tight. If it tends to loosen over time, I'll just replace the black trim piece. I think that had I expected the perimeter tabs to be attached with some sort of adhesive, I likely wouldn't have broken that one tab.

Last edited by Der Tgr; 10-01-2021 at 11:06 AM.
slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

One can also use a small piece of 3M tape or two to help hold them in if a tab breaks, which works well...I know from experience!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Der Tgr (10-01-2021), slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 12:13 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

Let me ask you all this: is the object to get the trim tool right on the clip which would move the tab/clip out of the locking position? (sort of like a wire harness clip)? Or is the goal to get the trim tool above/below the tab and pop it out by leverage/pulling?
Old 10-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

@slilley UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE ANY METAL TOOL!

I had the same "challenge" as you did, but I persevered, I used a slightly stronger plastic trim tool

- start at the bottom "front" edge of the vent, insert the tool, then slide it slow up the leading edge of the vent, you will feel the location of the 1st tab
- push the trim tool in towards the tab, then lever it in order to free the tab, you will hear it release
- slide the tool up to just above the mid way split in the vent, you will feel the location of the 2nd tab, repeat
- finally repeat with the 3rd and last tab above

now all that is actually hold the vent piece in are the (new) top and bottom tabs (the tab on the trailing edge of the vent will release easily otherwise)

you may have to use a small tool to release those top and bottom tabs, however I simply pulled at the lead edge corners top and bottom and it came out

but it requires some force to do so!

good luck
now only the
slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 01:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Let me ask you all this: is the object to get the trim tool right on the clip which would move the tab/clip out of the locking position? (sort of like a wire harness clip)? Or is the goal to get the trim tool above/below the tab and pop it out by leverage/pulling?
I would say its the former, as I mentioned above I maneuvered the tool to the location of the tab then levered the tool such that it would depress the tab and unlock it.

the "fly in the ointment" is the presence of the (new) tabs top and bottom of the vent ...
slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 01:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

this video is pretty informative, although I dont think that it has the (new) top and bottom tabs that the Spyder does!

The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
slilley (10-03-2021), wdr911 (11-08-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:15 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a question. The instructions from Radiator Grill require side panel removal (not just the grill) for GT4 installations. The above examples, as challenging as they were, only required grill removal. Is that because they are all GTS 4.0's and Spyder's, or does the GT4 not require side panel removal? Thanks.

Howard
Old 10-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hmintz
I have a question. The instructions from Radiator Grill require side panel removal (not just the grill) for GT4 installations. The above examples, as challenging as they were, only required grill removal. Is that because they are all GTS 4.0's and Spyder's, or does the GT4 not require side panel removal? Thanks.

Howard
its just the GT4 I believe because the scoops on the GT4 are screwed into the vent and side panel; since neither the GTS nor the Spyder have those scoops side panel removal is not required.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:49 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by hmintz

Howard
The GTS/Spyder have slightly different black intake inserts to the GT4. The scoop actually clips into the black intake. With the GT4 scoops you can no longer access the black intake inserts with a pry tool, hence you need to remove the side panel.

Here is the scoop setup for the GT4. It clips onto the black intake.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 10-02-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:22 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE ANY METAL TOOL!
I used metal, no harm to report if you take the proper precautions.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:25 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

From today’s ride… the beer koozie isn’t the only functional thing!
The following 3 users liked this post by SpeedySpidey:
Alpha Ice (10-21-2021), slilley (10-03-2021), StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I used metal, no harm to report if you take the proper precautions.
why risk it?
Old 10-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

not the best photo ... however look'in good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
RGS (10-03-2021), slilley (10-03-2021), StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 01:17 PM
confused66
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

So I'm confused by these chats. I assume all the incoming air from either intake grill is going to pass through the air filter so nothing bad is going to make its way to the engine anyway so why would I need them? Seems like an expense I can do without.
Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Side Air Intake Grills: Available