Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Cazten
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Is anyone else getting delayed on their MY22 delivery due to federal certification?

im waiting for a PECLA delivery and my car is currently on the Felicity Ace expected in Houston within a week or so. I reached out to PECLA inquiring about scheduling and was told they are waiting on federal certification for MY22 due Oct1 (or sooner) before they can schedule me….

I’ll be heated if I don’t even get on a schedule until Oct and then delayed additional weeks pending an open slot while my cars sitting in a parking lot for 1-2 months.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:02 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazten
Is anyone else getting delayed on their MY22 delivery due to federal certification?

im waiting for a PECLA delivery and my car is currently on the Felicity Ace expected in Houston within a week or so. I reached out to PECLA inquiring about scheduling and was told they are waiting on federal certification for MY22 due Oct1 (or sooner) before they can schedule me….

I’ll be heated if I don’t even get on a schedule until Oct and then delayed additional weeks pending an open slot while my cars sitting in a parking lot for 1-2 months.
Yes, there has been a lot of discussion about it in this and other threads. We are all in that same boat - well, not the Felicity Ace per se - but facing the same delay but not necessarily that PECLA hurdle.

You would think PECLA would allow you to schedule a tentative date based on that estimate and then allow you to slide it for free if there is a certification delay. It might be worth trying to get your dealer to apply pressure through their channels, as well as asking to speak to senior management at PECLA. Don't just settle for a SA turndown, take it up the dealer chain and then possibly to Porsche regional management. It certainly seems reasonable to expect them to do something to help with this.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:05 PM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

@Cazten If this helps at all - I got this last week from PECLA. I’ve been at port since 7/23.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Cazten
Advanced

I hadn’t seen this was being discuss already. Does the certification impact all cars ( including dealer delivery) or just PECLA/PECAL?

id consider redirecting to a dealer it Gets me my car in a coupe weeks.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:15 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

I hadn’t seen this was being discuss already. Does the certification impact all cars ( including dealer delivery) or just PECLA/PECAL?

id consider redirecting to a dealer it Gets me my car in a coupe weeks.
All cars.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Cazten
Advanced

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
All cars.
Wow. Porsche’s ****ting the bed here. What good is an early sept allocation that you can’t take delivery of 🤨.

I’ll leave it with PECLA then.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:35 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Wow. Porsche’s ****ting the bed here. What good is an early sept allocation that you can’t take delivery of 🤨.

I’ll leave it with PECLA then.
Unfortunately, it's pretty much like that for all car years as they have to be EPA certified before any of the cars can be "sold." Changing it to dealer delivery or PECLA won't make a difference. When it clears EPA, you can then take delivery.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
It wasn't really a performance thing for me to be honest. After having four 911s with steel brakes I decided I was soooo soooo tired of having to wash the car just because the wheels got too dusty that I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I like to have a clean car but I don't really enjoy the washing part so much... it is just a duty I force on myself. In the most recent 911 you see in my avatar, with the gloss black Carrera 5 spokes, that black gloss choice ended up being a disaster since they would turn an uneven flat black within a hundred miles of driving. What was I thinking after the first three times? (It was a good deal on a lightly used - 900 mile - Carrera S that I just jumped on too quickly).

This car will be the first Porsche I ordered myself. I decided I would splurge and just get everything I wanted cost be damned. PCCBs were at the top of that list. I'll admit that is it also a vanity thing, I wanted to have a car configured at the top of its game for once... on all of the others I had always settled in some way or another. On the plus side, if I do keep the car a long time at least I won't have the expense of replacing the steel rotors and pads after a while so that's a small financial plus there. I know that for me saying I'll keep a car a very long time hasn't historically happened much (although I do also have a 2013 F150 King Ranch with 95k miles), but with the changes occurring in the car industry these days I'm thinking this one might just be a longer-term keeper as I retire.

On the subject of PCCB squealing, I've been digging into that and found that one of the big things that can cause PCCBs to squeal more is getting wax or similar contaminants on the rotors. I've read that the ceramic matrix rotor surfaces are microscopically porous and the wax can actually get into the surface of the rotor as well as the pads. I'm going to work hard to keep them wax free. So I'm attacking this several ways:
1) Don't ever use a drive-through car wash
2) Get the whole front clip PPFed and the rest of the car and wheel surfaces ceramic coated so I don't need to use wax.
3) Use a PH-neutral wax-free soap - I've opted for Gyeon Bathe (not Gyeon Bathe Plus).
4) When I do use a quick-wash/touchup product on the car, don't spray it anywhere near the wheels - Don't use a spray on tire cleaner/darkener either

Best wishes with sorting out your final configuration choices! Mine kept getting tweaked all of the way up to lock. At least it keeps us occupied during the wait
I agree with you on your thoughts on the build. I'm all for folks optioning them out to be modest, but I also went a similar cost he damned with my GTS. It was easier to splurge on the nicer amenities inside coming from the Panamera were literally everything is a leather surface and the cream held up really well for years.
I'm also through my flipping vehicle stage and although I'll miss my first gen Cayman that I planned to keep for as long as I can, this be one will be pretty special with the manual and larger engine. Having a new home and some other options will allow me to better care for it and the interior. I'd rather be upset about having something and not using it as much, than cutting a couple options I didn't think were a big deal and I'm sad without them. I did eliminate the white gauges, my Cayman currently has them as it was factory in the S, but I don't want the cut outs so that was an easy thing to eliminate (I added painted climate too).
I'm hoping you guys get yours earlier than you expect, but I'm not going to be upset about having my build start after the break.
The following users liked this post:
StormRune (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:24 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

Apparently my car is on this boat at port in Colombia
, headed to the panama canal next

and hopefully San Diego soon... my Aston is gone now and my other fun one is still in the shop for a while so this wait is going to kill me!
Hopefully no delays with the EPA
Old 08-10-2021, 06:17 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 195 Posts

Looks like the "My Porsche" portal (in Canada) is including pictures of our actual car at the end of assembly.

our 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0! ... completed July 23, currently headed for Halifax on the Goodwood AFAIK

our 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0!
The following 8 users liked this post by Z06jerry:
Dan Nagy (08-10-2021), halfmonkey (08-10-2021), P-car-Vancouver (08-10-2021), sanderabernathy (08-11-2021), slilley (08-11-2021), StormRune (08-10-2021), Tennyson (08-11-2021), UncleDude (08-10-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:26 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Looks like the "My Porsche" portal (in Canada) is including pictures of our actual car at the end of assembly.

our 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0! ... completed July 23, currently headed for Halifax on the Goodwood AFAIK

Well THAT'S a reason to move to Canada!
The following 3 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
Alpha Ice (08-10-2021), devarenacn (08-11-2021), P-car-Vancouver (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4 Shark Blue
i appreciate your insights. How about the Carbon Ceramics? What are your opinions on them? I know the steel breaks are more than sufficient. I am guessing that for everyday driving steel may still be the better choice. My fear with Carbon are things like poor performance when cold and noisy breaking at stop lights. For me the big plus is that they stay cleaner longer. I am into keeping my car looking really nice. But that isn’t enough of a reason to get them if my other concerns are legitimate.
There was one more important thing I forgot to mention in my earlier response to you about the PCCBs. Unsprung weight! They remove an average of 10 pounds of unsprung weight per wheel. Given the firm suspension I'm figuring it will make the ride better while also improving handling one notch further.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
GT4 Shark Blue (08-12-2021), nova996 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,393 Likes on 2,209 Posts

That's great Jerry! You really turned that new allocation to new car around quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
P-car-Vancouver (08-10-2021), Z06jerry (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:08 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry

Lucky you! I did not get an actual picture of my car in My Porsche portal. I’m scheduled for delivery of my car though Friday at 3 pm!
The following 3 users liked this post by P-car-Vancouver:
halfmonkey (08-10-2021), Spyder Bite (08-10-2021), Z06jerry (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Strazzg
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Well THAT'S a reason to move to Canada!
Wow! I will check as well. I didnt realize that they included pictures of the actual car.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...