Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 05:34 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Your dealer received an allocation. That allocation came with a specific build date; allocation = build date. V200 has no bearing on the build date; simply customer acquisition.

The other dealer’s allocation had an earlier build date.

It’s that simple.
It may be simple, but I don't have to like it. lol
Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJohnBoy
I picked up my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 at the dealer today. It was in the showroom, so it was just driven out of the showroom and I took off for home. On the way home, I started hearing this clanging sound but I couldn't tell whether it was my engine or coming from nearby traffic. The sound was like in the old days when you heard an engine clanging and people would say that it was the valves that needed to be adjusted. It appeared that the clanging sound in my situation went away at higher speeds, but it may have been that the engine noise just made the clanging less noticeable.

Anyway I drove home about 30 miles and confirmed that it is my engine making this clanging sound at idle. In addition, the oil pressure basically stayed in the 25 - 28 psi range during the drive home. This reading seems very low to me, but no warning message came on about low oil pressure.

This situation is very upsetting after waiting all these months for delivery. I don't know much about engines, but this strange sound and low oil pressure doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have any thoughts on this situation? Thanks.

Having only test driven a few GT4's prior to ordering mine, I don't know if what you are hearing is normal or not, HOWEVER every time I test driven them, they all make sounds I have never heard before from any other car I have had.

Some has to do with the mid-engine layout with the motor right behind you with nothing separating you from it. There is nothing separating you from the engine like in other mid-engine cars like the C8, R8, McLaren, etc, that have glass between you and the motor. Some has to do with the character of the flat 6 boxer motor itself. From what I understand, if you are new to Porsche, it is something you have to get used it.

Last edited by TRZ06; 08-06-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:56 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Old-n-slo
Hi all!
I"m V200, on a Gentian Blue Metallic GT4. Delivery date is supposed to be about Thanksgiving.
Can.Not.Wait!

I'd been looking for a GTS, but as y'all might guess, couldn't find one for sale in the Entire United States. My SA said, "I've got a GT4 allocated, if you want." Hell YES, I WANT!
Beautiful spec! I'm also doing the same exterior colored bits on the interior. I also went ahead and did the climate controls, I believe there are some pictures of that in the GB thread if you want to check it out. I haven't seen many that did it, but the ones that did pushed me to doing the whole center console in blue. I'm doing a GTS 4.0, but welcome to the waiting room
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Old-n-slo (08-06-2021), P-car-Vancouver (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Your dealer received an allocation. That allocation came with a specific build date; allocation = build date. V200 has no bearing on the build date; simply customer acquisition.

The other dealer’s allocation had an earlier build date.

It’s that simple.
Shaggy hit it on the head, it doesn't matter when you get an allocation, each dealer has a date for that allocation. I put in an order demand in February, but my dealer's slot wasn't free until October. I know of some others who had either lucked into, or had gotten an allocation and their dealership had an earlier build date. It's unfortunate, but how it goes. Hopefully that helps out!
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 07:19 PM
OldJohnBoy
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Having only test driven a few GT4's prior to ordering mine, I don't know if what you are hearing is normal or not, HOWEVER every time I test driven them, they all make sounds I have never heard before from any other car I have had.

Some has to do with the mid-engine layout with the motor right behind you with nothing separating you from it. There is nothing separating you from the engine like in other mid-engine cars like the C8, R8, McLaren, etc, that have glass between you and the motor. Some has to do with the character of the flat 6 boxer motor itself. From what I understand, if you are new to Porsche, it is something you have to get used it.
Thanks for your reply. The 2014 Cayman that I traded in today had a flat-six engine also, and I never heard anything like this --- it reminds me of the sound of a diesel engine, just not as loud. Also, the low oil pressure doesn't seem right. For my 2014 Cayman, the owner's manual stated that the oil pressure should always be above 31 psi at normal driving speeds. I checked the owner's manual for my new GTS 4.0 and for the oil pressure it only says keep it above 51 psi at 4,000 rpm --- not much help. As I mentioned above, the oil pressure stayed in the 25 - 28 psi range on my drive home today --- that's seems too low.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:23 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,642 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Thanks for your reply. The 2014 Cayman that I traded in today had a flat-six engine also, and I never heard anything like this --- it reminds me of the sound of a diesel engine, just not as loud. Also, the low oil pressure doesn't seem right. For my 2014 Cayman, the owner's manual stated that the oil pressure should always be above 31 psi at normal driving speeds. I checked the owner's manual for my new GTS 4.0 and for the oil pressure it only says keep it above 51 psi at 4,000 rpm --- not much help. As I mentioned above, the oil pressure stayed in the 25 - 28 psi range on my drive home today --- that's seems too low.
I had a 3.4 987.2 Spyder, which I believe carried over into the 981 and the 982 4.0 sounds noting like the old 6s. All different sounds of racket and of course the exhaust is a completely different note.

Embrace it, I love all of it.

Regarding oil pressure the Spyder/GT4 OM says the benchmark at 4500 is 36psi. Assume you’re still in run in and below 4500, so sounds normal.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:38 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazten
Got an update from my SA today. My 22 Spyder shipped a week early on 7/31! Onboard the Felicity Ace.

Second time now the car has reached a milestone a week or two early.
Congrats @Cazten! Your car is on the same ship as my '22 CGTS and @Der Tgr's 22 Spyder! Attached is the latest VW shipping update; the cars are now due at the port of Baltimore on 8/11 (slipped by one day, but they left Emden 2 days behind the original schedule).

Unfortunately, according to Porsche, all our model year 2022 cars are going to be held until October 1st waiting for EPA and/or CARB certification. Does anyone know if they get stored at port, or are they delivered to the dealer where we can see them? I assume it's the former.
Attached Images
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
Congrats @Cazten! Your car is on the same ship as my '22 CGTS and @Der Tgr's 22 Spyder! Attached is the latest VW shipping update; the cars are now due at the port of Baltimore on 8/11 (slipped by one day, but they left Emden 2 days behind the original schedule).

Unfortunately, according to Porsche, all our model year 2022 cars are going to be held until October 1st waiting for EPA and/or CARB certification. Does anyone know if they get stored at port, or are they delivered to the dealer where we can see them? I assume it's the former.
Yes, held at port under US Customs control. So sorry.
slilley (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:14 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

For me, the diesel sound at idle is the very loud direct injectors combined with the engine location. I don't like the sound, don't hate it. I suspect it's extra loud on this car due to porsche not putting a ton of sound deadening material over them like I've seen on others. WRT the exhaust note I'm guessing sound symposer combined with the non X'd exhaust and the exhaust tuned for a lower note. Already have|ordered the parts to address my exhaust note, and I'll be removing the sound symposer as soon as I get it home.

Last edited by enduro; 08-07-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:19 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty09
Officially out of the waiting room. Did the paperwork today, the car is delivered to the house tomorrow. Ceramic, PPF and tint await.
Great choice of colors. Love the browns with the green.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:25 AM
dicker
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I picked up my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 at the dealer today. It was in the showroom, so it was just driven out of the showroom and I took off for home. On the way home, I started hearing this clanging sound but I couldn't tell whether it was my engine or coming from nearby traffic. The sound was like in the old days when you heard an engine clanging and people would say that it was the valves that needed to be adjusted. It appeared that the clanging sound in my situation went away at higher speeds, but it may have been that the engine noise just made the clanging less noticeable.

Anyway I drove home about 30 miles and confirmed that it is my engine making this clanging sound at idle. In addition, the oil pressure basically stayed in the 25 - 28 psi range during the drive home. This reading seems very low to me, but no warning message came on about low oil pressure.

This situation is very upsetting after waiting all these months for delivery. I don't know much about engines, but this strange sound and low oil pressure doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have any thoughts on this situation? Thanks.
Not sure about the oil pressure, but the engine sounds could be the cylinder deactivation? I would turn off the automatic start stop and see if you still have the same noises while driving at slower highway speeds.
Dan Nagy (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:51 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Unfortunately, according to Porsche, all our model year 2022 cars are going to be held until October 1st waiting for EPA and/or CARB certification. Does anyone know if they get stored at port, or are they delivered to the dealer here we can see them? I assume it's the former.
Another shipmate!! Very cool....someday, we ought to coordinate a meetup of cars from the FELICTY ACE.
The following 4 users liked this post by Der Tgr:
P-car-Vancouver (08-08-2021), Porsche2014 (08-08-2021), slilley (08-08-2021), UpstairsGT (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 04:05 PM
LarryLevelGT4
Track Day

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, according to Porsche, all our model year 2022 cars are going to be held until October 1st waiting for EPA and/or CARB certification.
Wait... WHAT?! My SA has said nothing about this and has given me every indication that my '22 GT4 will be ready for delivery at the end of the month. Mine is on the Siem Aristotle which just arrived in Halifax and will be in Jacksonville where it will be offloaded on or around August 14th. So, all MY22 will be held until 10/1? Anyone have a link or source?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,642 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLevelGT4
Wait... WHAT?! My SA has said nothing about this and has given me every indication that my '22 GT4 will be ready for delivery at the end of the month. Mine is on the Siem Aristotle which just arrived in Halifax and will be in Jacksonville where it will be offloaded on or around August 14th. So, all MY22 will be held until 10/1? Anyone have a link or source?
Just ask your SA; imagine your car shows 1 Oct for V900 — Dealer Inventory. Could move right/left based on sale date and certifications.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLevelGT4
Man, sorry you read about this here rather than hearing from your SA - but, from what I understand, it is true. While I do not have a link or source to post, I can tell you that my MY22 Spyder changed from "Dealer Inventory" date of 10 September to 01 October, as did many others on RENNLIST. I would contact your SA and ask him/her to verify estimated delivery date.

My hope is that mine will be in dealer inventory NLT 1 Oct so I can pick it up to take to PPF installer on the 4th. My wife and I are headed to the Finger Lakes Region 2nd week of October, and I'd really like to be able to take the Spyder.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...