Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 11:15 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

10 days till my production lock. I made a couple changes since I saw a SB Spyder in person.http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTJIKZ7
I deleted the leather visors. As much as I don't like the base ones, the leather ones were not crazy nice, are harder to take the stickers off, and are a bit pricey for what they are. That can always be done later with stitching to match.

I blacked out the Porsche logo as the silver on the SB that I saw was a bit much.

The one option that I added that I'm still on the fence about is the extended leather dash. I have it on my 981 Spyder and like it. My 718 has the blue deviated stitching but the black leather inserts. Adding the extended leather dash adds more stitching by the windshield and in the door jams, which looks really nice. However, it is an expensive option and the stitching I saw around the sport chrono clock looked a bit funky. On the 981, the clock is integrated into the dashboard so it is not an issue. I have it added to my current build but is is the one item I'm on the fence about.

My configuration
Order no. Model Year Vehicle Prices*
982510 2022 718 Spyder $98,300
Individualisation
Category Order no. Individual equipment Prices*
Exterior Color D7 Shark Blue $2,580
1V Spyder Roof in Black $0
Interior Color 21 Leather Interior in Black/Race-Tex $2,160
Deviated Seat Centers and Stitching XVX Extended Deviated Stitching Interior Package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $3,230
XVA Steering Column Casing in Leather with Deviated Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $610
Exterior XUB Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in
Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $300
519 "PORSCHE" Logo in Satin Black $220
XYB Exclusive Design Fuel Cap Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $160
Performance 480 6-speed Manual Transmission $0
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) $8,000
Wheels 424 20" 718 Spyder Wheels $0
Wheel Accessories XDH Wheels Painted in Satin Platinum Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $1,290
Lights and Vision 602 LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) $2,140
630 Light Design Package $350
P13 Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor $700
Interior 858 Steering Wheel and Gear Lever in Leather $0
489 Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel $470
P11 Full Bucket Seats $5,900
573 2-Zone Automatic Climate Control $770
583 Smoking Package $0
581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell $0
509 Fire Extinguisher $140
XHZ Seat Belts in Shark Blue $360
Interior Leather EKC Interior Trim in Leather in Interior Color i.c.w. Leather Interior Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $0
CZW Dashboard Trim Package in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $1,610
Audio and Communication 9VJ Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System $4,690
Others Z1S Included First Year / 10,000 Mile Maintenance $0
Color for Leather / Deviated Stitching 00480 Color Selection for Stitching in Deviated Color $0
Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee
Amount $1,350
Vehicle price * $135,330

Last edited by MaddMike; 04-19-2022 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:16 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

Who all is locking on 4/29 and has a TBD (V170) in Track Your Dream as of right now? I know there are at least a few of us on here.
Johny0299 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:21 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Who all is locking on 4/29 and has a TBD (V170) in Track Your Dream as of right now? I know there are at least a few of us on here.
I’m still here!
TXRubicon (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:23 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Me, for the last few weeks. As I recall, the TYD original build date was 6/5/22 and estimated delivery 8/2/22. Now all TBD.
TXRubicon (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:36 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

I lock on 4/29 with a 7/29 estimated delivery.
TXRubicon (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
In the spirit that TigerHonaker, Jeff Jones, halfmonkey and a few others did, I am going to share my initial thoughts on my 718 now that I’ve taken delivery. I am including a bunch of pictures, as what is hopefully the gentlemanly way to officially depart the “Waiting Room” thread.

Background: My V70 Order Demand was placed on the 12th of January 2021 after I came to accept that BMW had ruined the new M3 (for me) and something lighter in weight and more fun to drive with better dynamics and a good manual trans was what I wanted.

The Wait: Yes, it was long. 11 months passed between my Order Demand and receiving notice that an allocation/production spot had been assigned to my build. I spent many nights revising and updating my spec, and even changed my color from Guards Red to Shark Blue when my wait went into model year 2022. The wait was bad, but got much worse when I sold my 911. My garage at that point had gone from having four cars to having one. Thankfully, my SA was exemplary throughout and kept me up to date with printouts from the PVMS any time I asked.

Tracking progress: I largely enjoyed it, as I just accepted that TYD was about as reliable as The New York Times: Given enough time, corrections are made quietly at night to what made no sense in the light of day.

Delivery: I knew within a day or two when my GT4 was going to be delivered, but sure enough it got delivered early one morning before the dealership received the email from the port stating that the truck was on the way. Nonetheless, I spotted it later that morning tucked in the back corner. My SA got the keys and we went out to collect all of the production/processing documents as I had asked. I wanted to keep the Build Sheet, the Shipping Docs, etc. And my SA laminated the Monroney Sticker for me. The Shark Blue color looked great, and it varied a lot based upon lighting.

The actual hand-over was set for a couple days later, and it was arranged to accommodate my best friend from college days coming up from Maryland in his C8 to join me at delivery. We drove his Vette over at the designated hour, took a little time to look over the eye-candy in the showroom, and then I started on the paperwork. (I say ‘paperwork’, but it was all done electronically using a stylus on a projected image in the desk surface.)

Yes, this is the time that most any dealer is going to try and sell you something else. I had already looked into all of the offerings beforehand, so knew exactly what I was interested in. I wanted the wheel protection package in case I get a stone stuck in the barrel and it scores a wheel, or some pothole gets past me and ‘curbs’ the wheel in the process. The wheels seem to me a high risk item that are expensive to replace. I also signed on for PPF done by their local preferred provider. (Just not until I get a weekend of driving first!)

And, FINALLY, I got outside to see my buddy with my car staged next to his in the dealership’s lot. We grabbed a few photos before my SA went through the basic controls with me. Thankfully, he didn’t bore me with details on how the radio works and such. We were off shortly thereafter, on a mission to find a roadside location where we could replicate an old photograph we had taken in 1982 when we both had gotten our first track-ready cars up to par.

The first thing I noticed was that it was easy for me to get the base sport seats into a good position for me. It occurred to me that they might never be moved again. I found them plenty comfortable and better side support than cars I’ve auto-x in the past. (Almost any of my BMWs for a start)

The next thing I noticed is that I have an old habit that doesn’t lend itself to the car. Back when I learned to start a manual trans sports car we (1) put the car in neutral, (2) put the clutch in, and (3) started the car. Once the engine started and ran for a while and settled down, only then would we release the clutch (in neutral) to spin up the input side of the transmission. Then, if all seemed well, we would put the clutch back in and choose a gear before feathering the clutch back out to move away.

The problem with this technique is you have to touch the brake pedal with your foot to allow the parking brake to release. ‘Normally’ I would release the parking brake with my left hand when I put the clutch in and choose a gear. So, I sat there and pushed a pulled a number of times before it dawned on me this setup could be like cars with automatics, where the brake pedal needs to be used to allow release of the parking brake. (I’ve since modified my process to release it before the clutch is depressed the 2nd time.)

The next thing I noticed was how easy the clutch is to engage. OMG, it’s ridiculously easy. Nothing like competition clutches in the old days that have very little between ‘on’ and ‘off’. This makes it super easy to pull away smoothly with very little slip needed. The clutch is also much lighter than I would have guessed, although I did get a very springy feel (and sort of sound) upon exercising it. It wasn’t a pedal box feel like classic 911s, but a uniform motion with lots of room to progressively engage a gear. It’s like totally being spoiled, especially if you’ve ever spun your tires just to make sure you didn’t stall pulling out on a steep grade at a traffic light.

I originally thought that having the light on for deactivating the start/stop feature was going to bother me. I’m not sure now, as I prefer the ‘Sports Exhaust’ button ‘on’ always, the ‘Sport Chassis’ button ‘on’ nearly always, and the ‘Auto Blip’ button ‘on’ always. So, with all four lights on it passes for normal operation. I wish they were green when they are on, and red lights used for warnings like ‘ESC Off’, etc. Sort of more aircraft like.

The next thing that surprised me was that the cabin was quieter (under 4000rpm only so far) than I had expected based upon posts on RL. The intake noise must really come on-line at higher rpms – which I look forward to soon, but I haven’t heard it yet. There is a distinct change in character at 3,800 rpm though. Below that the power feels strangely like an E36 M3. I have not yet explored above 4k, as I am only at 120 miles presently. Once I get over 150 miles I’m going to transition to a 5krpm max.

The noise I DO notice is outside the cabin and it reminds me of a sleeper Mustang I drove years ago which we had built with needle bearing roller rockers. So, I think there is a good bit of valve train gear noise – akin to a fancy ‘sewing machine’ sound.

Similarly, I found the base climate control system easy to operate and effective. The weather varied a good bit over the weekend so I got to run AC at some points and Heat during others. (The base system also means there’s no risk of my wife reaching over to change my settings on a dual-climate control because she’s cold and wants to warm up faster.) Ask me how I know…

The local roads around here are ideal for break-in, up and down, 90 degree corners around fields, smooth corners with a variety of apex shapes. Lots of opportunity to vary speed and load. Short straights offer opportunity for bursts of acceleration. I think the injectors must shut off completely when one gets off the gas while still in gear, as there is a good amount of engine-braking – which feels and sounds nice. The car turns in flatter than anything I’ve ever owned. I can only imagine what it could do with properly warmed up tires.

One little gripe is the car cover. We bought the factory cover with the GT4 stripe on it. It is VERY tightly fit --- which is counter to what I want for an indoor cover. I want a loose-fit cover that catches pollen and such in the air. This fits so tight I’ll be worried about rubbing the slightest amount of surface dust/dirt into the PPF or paint. My wife (fashion designer) also pointed out that for the money it should have been much better measured and sewn for size without wrinkles in the seams.

The other little oddity I may have to adjust for is the feel of the steering wheel in my hand. It gives me the feeling I should be wearing driving gloves to protect it. It does sort of force me a little closer to a 9 and 3 hand position over I guess my habit of using more of a 10 and 2 position.

In conclusion, I can’t help walking around with a huge smile on my face – rather like a dad at his kid’s wedding. I hope these observations help those early in the process just as I thank the RL’s whose observations helped me. A PDF of related images is attached for reference.
Congrats on getting your car! Those 2000 miles before break-in is complete is the worst. It's so agonizing but once you hit 2000 miles, the miles of smiles will be the best.

Interesting point that you noted about the wheel and tire insurance. I never thought about that and had I read this or if someone had pointed it out before my lock, I might have considered getting the PCCB. Getting rocks caught between the calipers and scoring the barrel is what scared me off but if the wheel and tire insurance covers it, I would have given it more consideration. Did you specifically ask the finance guy (or whoever sold you the wheel and tire insurance) if barrel scoring is covered? If not, are you assuming it's covered or what leads you to believe it's covered?

The scoring and the squealing is what scared off the PCCB. Are your brakes squealing?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:51 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
10 days till my production lock. I made a couple changes since I saw a SB Spyder in person.http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTJIKZ7
I deleted the leather visors. As much as I don't like the base ones, the leather ones were not crazy nice, are harder to take the stickers off, and are a bit pricey for what they are. That can always be done later with stitching to match.

I blacked out the Porsche logo as the silver on the SB that I saw was a bit much.

The one option that I added that I'm still on the fence about is the extended leather dash. I have it on my 981 Spyder and like it. My 718 has the blue deviated stitching but the black leather inserts. Adding the extended leather dash adds more stitching by the windshield and in the door jams, which looks really nice. However, it is an expensive option and the stitching I saw around the sport chrono clock looked a bit funky. On the 981, the clock is integrated into the dashboard so it is not an issue. I have it added to my current build but is is the one item I'm on the fence about.
I also considered the extended leather dash and steering column too but ultimately passed for two reasons. I spec'd gt silver interior and read that getting those options has the possibility of seeing the reflections in the windshield and gauge cluster in certain lighting. Went to check out some cars primarily because at the time, we were trying to see a Spyder in Miami Blue and luckily I found a car that had extended dash stitching. Don't remember what stitching color it was but I could faintly see the reflection. Thought about it and passed because the second reason was cost. After adding PTS and CXX options, I figured the price was getting up there and even though those options in the big scheme of things wasn't a big cost, I felt like having spent money on the pepita was enough to spruce up the interior and if the reflection is there, it would annoy the hell out of me.

Since you're on the fence, I would definitely try to find a car maybe at your local cars and coffee to see if any of them have extended dash or maybe start a new post here to ask owners of their experience ad maybe they can post pictures of reflections to see if it's enough to bother you.
MaddMike (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:02 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I lock on 4/29 with an estimated delivery of 8/19. I got TBD in Track Your Dream back in early March, but has been showing dates consistently ever since.
TXRubicon (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:35 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I also considered the extended leather dash and steering column too but ultimately passed for two reasons. I spec'd gt silver interior and read that getting those options has the possibility of seeing the reflections in the windshield and gauge cluster in certain lighting. Went to check out some cars primarily because at the time, we were trying to see a Spyder in Miami Blue and luckily I found a car that had extended dash stitching. Don't remember what stitching color it was but I could faintly see the reflection. Thought about it and passed because the second reason was cost. After adding PTS and CXX options, I figured the price was getting up there and even though those options in the big scheme of things wasn't a big cost, I felt like having spent money on the pepita was enough to spruce up the interior and if the reflection is there, it would annoy the hell out of me.

Since you're on the fence, I would definitely try to find a car maybe at your local cars and coffee to see if any of them have extended dash or maybe start a new post here to ask owners of their experience ad maybe they can post pictures of reflections to see if it's enough to bother you.
Ive been going back and forth on extended dash. This is good to know. I also feel like it’s easy to go overboard with Porsche options and turn a GT car into a luxury car (in my opinion something it doesn’t need to be), so this helps my mind and wallet.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 806 Posts

That Siem Confucius has been sitting at Emden for four days now. Time to make room for a western bound vessel WITH MY EFFING CAR ON IT!!!
Adrift (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:23 PM
mpgazelle
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I froze on APR 11th.....scheduled to enter body shop APR 29, delivery JULY 1st.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:37 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

With my impending freeze date of April 29th, I added two options - 630 Light Design Package and P13 Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor. My SA input these two items and my status moved to V170. I have no PCCB, PTS or cxx options in my build. The 2 new options are now reflected in my TYD, and all the dates are still blank there. My SA will be keeping an eye out for changes to my status.

Last edited by PaulE; 04-19-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:56 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

Welcome to the V170 club. There's a few of us on here! Mine doesn't have the light design package but many of us locking on the 29th have been in V170 since early March (Mine went V170 on 3/3). At this point I'm hoping that's because we are getting scheduled as a 2023 model year instead of 2022 since the dates have been slipping. There are some March/April builds who have been pushed to June which means our June builds are probably pushed back the same amount. That with the August shutdown puts us pretty far back, in theory. The GT4RS thread shows post-August builds being moved to MY2023 orders so hopeful ours will be the same. Wishful thinking but I guess we'll find out in 10 days or so!

Originally Posted by PaulE
With my impending freeze date of April 29th, I added two options - 630 Light Design Package and P13 Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor. My SA input these two items and my status moved to V170. I have no PCCB, PTS or cxx options in my build. The 2 new options are now reflected in my TYD, and all the dates are still blank there. My SA will be keeping an eye out for changes to my status.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:17 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks, I could have been V170 for a while, I just haven't been in contact with my SA for a few weeks and it wasn't the last time we connected. My ideal timing is later, so if there's a delay that's fine with me (Althought I'd like to sell my 2003 Boxster S during convertible season and don't want to be without a Porsche for any length of time!) As far as being a 2023 model, that would be ok too, but hopefully without a price increase!

Welcome to the V170 club. There's a few of us on here! Mine doesn't have the light design package but many of us locking on the 29th have been in V170 since early March (Mine went V170 on 3/3). At this point I'm hoping that's because we are getting scheduled as a 2023 model year instead of 2022 since the dates have been slipping. There are some March/April builds who have been pushed to June which means our June builds are probably pushed back the same amount. That with the August shutdown puts us pretty far back, in theory. The GT4RS thread shows post-August builds being moved to MY2023 orders so hopeful ours will be the same. Wishful thinking but I guess we'll find out in 10 days or so!

Old 04-19-2022, 04:23 PM
shasayed
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a 04/29 freeze date so far but with a V200 status. Nothing on TYD for me though. I have just been asking my SA for screenshots from him since TYD needs a VIN that i dont have.
TXRubicon (04-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...