Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 05:55 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I'm really, honestly glad to see others struggled/struggling as much as I did over color. It was making me feel badly about myself. How could I now have a dream car already spec'd out in my head before deciding to buy? I really took a 180 at the 11th hour (almost right at the 11th hour before my lock, in fact). But I'm feeling confident in my choice. (That was before I saw a VW in their version of Shark Blue in person and my heart sank. Suffice it to say SB is not a wise choice on a clunky SUV but I think it looks great on sports cars. At least that's what I keep telling myself until my car arrives! LOL)

Anyway, this is all part of the fun, I suppose. Or part of the torture maybe.
Trust me, it wil be fine. The color is amazing on the 718 form. You will absolutely love it and wonder why you were so freaked out.

As for fun and torture, there’s a lot of people that get those two mixed up….hahaha
The following 2 users liked this post by flynlo:
AdamIsAdam (11-10-2021), StormRune (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 05:57 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm really, honestly glad to see others struggled/struggling as much as I did over color. It was making me feel badly about myself. How could I now have a dream car already spec'd out in my head before deciding to buy? I really took a 180 at the 11th hour (almost right at the 11th hour before my lock, in fact). But I'm feeling confident in my choice. (That was before I saw a VW in their version of Shark Blue in person and my heart sank. Suffice it to say SB is not a wise choice on a clunky SUV but I think it looks great on sports cars. At least that's what I keep telling myself until my car arrives! LOL)

Anyway, this is all part of the fun, I suppose. Or part of the torture maybe.
If it helps, I've never received so many compliments from both friends and complete strangers on the color and the car in general. That includes people that have no idea what the car is.It really catches the eye in a good way it seems. None of my four prior 911s got anywhere near this much attention and positive comments. I have to admit it is a nice ego trip.

But I too was uneasy about it for months. Now that I have it in hard and can see it with my own eyes I'm more pleased than I ever expected. I think you will be very pleased with your choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
flynlo (11-10-2021), GT3FZS (02-16-2022)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:06 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If it helps, I've never received so many compliments from both friends and complete strangers on the color and the car in general. That includes people that have no idea what the car is.It really catches the eye in a good way it seems. None of my four prior 911s got anywhere near this much attention and positive comments. I have to admit it is a nice ego trip.
Yea, it's fun when that happens. I don't think of it so much as an ego trip, as much as others appreciating/enjoying/recognizing something that I/we're so passionate about. Like I've said before, I sold my Cobra for this Porsche. There is no other car like a Cobra and it commands more attention from ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE. I actually have video footage from my GoPro as I came off the auto-x and some woman came running, actually running, towards the car to ask what it was and say how beautiful the car is. Her boyfriend was seriously trailing behind. It was funny. So it's nice to know the Smurf, I mean, Shark Blue may have a similar effect on people.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 11-10-2021 at 06:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
Dan Nagy (11-10-2021), StormRune (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Originally Posted by kor446
Lava: Caught my eye immediately on the configurator but didn't want such a "look at me" color.
SB: Not a blue guy, but gorgeous IRL, at least under the showroom lights. Gradually moved up because it has character and would work perfectly with the carmine interior I wanted.
Chalk: Also beautiful. 1st place at the start and held strong for quite a while. It changes remarkably with light from a taupey grey to an off-white and everything in between. Conservative though. And after driving the car it just didn't seem "right"
Carmine: Very nice red, and I am a red guy. But didn't quite grab me, and didn't match the "personality" of the car as much as the blue.

My problem with the Lava was that I was set on the GTS-carmine interior. On top of screaming "I'm here!!!", I worried about the clash. If I were willing to go with a solid interior or the GTS-chalk it would have been easier. I did price out the GTS interior with Lava stitching. Estimate was $30,000. After locking I went so far as to get the opinion of our interior decorator who assured me the carmine trim would work just fine with the Lava. That was the day marked in yellow on my scoreboard.
All great colours and I might have gone with Carmine Red had it been available on my 2020 Spyder but Chalk was my choice, very happy to and it changes with lighting as you say, I get compliments on it every time I go out.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Yea, it's fun when that happens. I don't think of it so much as an ego trip, as much as others appreciating/enjoying/recognizing something that I/we're so passionate about. Like I've said before, I sold my Cobra for this Porsche. There is no other car like a Cobra and it commands more attention from ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE. I actually have video footage from my GoPro as I came off the auto-x and some woman came running, actually running, towards the car to ask what it was and say how beautiful the car is. Her boyfriend was seriously trailing behind. It was funny. So it's nice to know the Smurf, I mean, Shark Blue may have a similar effect on people.
I believe there were only 998 Cobras built. The bulk being 289s. You sold one of those for a GT4?
Old 11-10-2021, 07:58 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I believe there were only 998 Cobras built. The bulk being 289s. You sold one of those for a GT4?
Replica, silly! lol Factory Five. Had it been an original, I could have bought a dozen or two GT4's! Well, in theory at least. Because money can't buy allocations these days. lol
Old 11-10-2021, 08:33 PM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Quite a bit of variation in the blue color depending on lighting. Of note, the color in these photos as viewed on Rennlist doesn't have the same gloss as the original photos. I feel my original photos are more accurate to the true color in various lighting.

Last edited by FourFourTwo; 11-10-2021 at 08:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by FourFourTwo:
Dan Nagy (11-10-2021), GT3FZS (02-16-2022), Guaji (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 10:42 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by FourFourTwo

Quite a bit of variation in the blue color depending on lighting. Of note, the color in these photos as viewed on Rennlist doesn't have the same gloss as the original photos. I feel my original photos are more accurate to the true color in various lighting.
Did you tint your side and rear (plastic) window?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Delivered yesterday. Drove home from Atlanta early morning today. Shark blue with Espresso interior.

The following 9 users liked this post by Tennyson:
75north (11-14-2021), AdamIsAdam (11-11-2021), GT3FZS (02-16-2022), halfmonkey (11-11-2021), kwikit356 (11-11-2021), LnC993 (11-11-2021), Paul E. Dodd (11-11-2021), remington (11-17-2021), StormRune (11-11-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennyson
Delivered yesterday. Drove home from Atlanta early morning today. Shark blue with Espresso interior.

L
I thought about espresso, too. It’s my favorite Porsche leather, but wasn’t sure how it would work with never had seen the color. Pleased? Photos?

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 11-11-2021 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
remington (11-20-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:52 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

B-E-A-UTIFUL! Great call on the silver wheels too! Congrats!!
GT3FZS (02-16-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:14 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Shark Blue with Espresso Interior- Photos Please!

To Tennyson: I'd like to join Dan in asking to see lots of photos of your Espresso Brown interior. I've ordered my CGTS in the same combination you have (Shark Blue with Espresso leather. No allocation yet, though), along with Speed Blue Extended Deviated Stitching. I also decided to bring more color inside by selecting Shark Blue interior trim, as well as Shark Blue seat belts. My concern is that the interior has a lot of dark brown, including all of the carpeting. I'm also trying to figure out the color of the roof lining material, and whether it depends on which you order: fabric or alcantara.

I would have picked the black leather interior but for my recollection of how incredible Porsche Natural Leather looks, feels, and smells. I had red/black natural leather in my '15 991.1 GTS everywhere, including the dash all the way to the defroster vents, as well as the end caps, with deviated stitching. This time, with the 718 CGTS, I did not splurge for the full leather dash and end caps, but with the full interior being Espresso the deviated stitching is also on the seats. The 991 had red seats, along with red carpeting, with no deviated stitching on the seats, front or rear.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give us lots of interior photos. Your car looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm still all over the place on the wheel color. Brake dust is a significant problem, especially if you spend much time on the track, which I hope to continue for at least a little longer. As I'm approaching age 76, this could be my last Porsche. Getting old truly sucks, but the worst part of this is that I will have to sell my beloved and exquisite 993. Too many cars equals too much work, expense, along with not enough garage space.
GT3FZS (02-16-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Tennyson, as you can see from others asking for more pictures, we appreciate such good quality pictures that capture the color as accurately as possible. I think this is normally tough thing but worse this year since there are almost no new cars to go look at for colors and options. I just waited two hour for a GT4 owner to unveil his car, do paperwork so I could see him drive it outside in the sun but with so few options at dealers due to the pandemic aftermath, these pictures are priceless at the moment. So thank you.
Tennyson (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:19 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
To Tennyson: I'd like to join Dan in asking to see lots of photos of your Espresso Brown interior. I'd really appreciate it if you could give us lots of interior photos. Your car looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm still all over the place on the wheel color.
Thanks for the kind words! Interior pics coming tomorrow. I have ordered leather covered steering column, race-tex sunvisors and leather covered seatbacks (totally useless, but looks and smells great). I will have Expel and ceramic put on the car next week and the shop will cover the wheels to cut down on brake dust. I was torn between platinum and silver wheels. Never considered black.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:37 PM
kor446
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
To Tennyson: I'd like to join Dan in asking to see lots of photos of your Espresso Brown interior. My concern is that the interior has a lot of dark brown, including all of the carpeting.
I was very close to ordering the SB with the espresso/cognac interior. Something to consider in terms of keeping the natural leather and lightening things up a bit......

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread