Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 12:34 PM
ff2kracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts

Olso Blue + Shark Blue. Intense!

The following 5 users liked this post by ff2kracer:
Guaji (11-10-2021), LnC993 (11-10-2021), masti99 (11-10-2021), StormRune (11-10-2021), UncleDude (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:53 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ff2kracer

Great picture, sorry I missed it. That looks like Rancho Santa Fe. I have seen the Oslo Blue one here and it is stunning and feels a little more like a "proper" blue to me. have shark blue on order but having issues with it. Poster is the SB yours? Will you be back at RSF Saturday? My lock date is Nov 16 and really would like to see SB in person one more time if possible. Thank you.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 11-10-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:57 PM
ff2kracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Poster is the SB yours? Will you be back at RSF Saturday?
Mine is the Oslo car (thanks for the kind words). The Shark car is local, a reasonable chance he'll roll through this weekend.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Thanks for the quick reply.. Yes I asked you about 2 months ago what color that was. That was the first time I had seen it. Lovely color! I'll stop by and hope the SB shows up again, just really struggling with it, to the point where I am even considering the Nuclear Option and just say F-It and go White or even....omg...Lava Orange. : ) Not on a Spyder though...I'm ordering Cayman T. As I said before Spyder looks great even in Caca Brown! : )

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 11-10-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM
CTDiesel
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ff2kracer

Funny, I think my Oslo Blue looks bright, but then I see this. They're both stunning!
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

You need to see Oslo in person. Great color.👍
Old 11-10-2021, 02:04 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Originally Posted by CTDiesel
Funny, I think my Oslo Blue looks bright, but then I see this. They're both stunning!
??? Oslo is the darker one on the left. Were you looking at the one on the right?
Just making sure you are looking at the correct one. ???
Old 11-10-2021, 03:29 PM
kor446
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll stop by and hope the SB shows up again, just really struggling with it, to the point where I am even considering the Nuclear Option and just say F-It and go White or even....omg...Lava Orange.
I perseverated over color so much that I decided to have some fun with my process by keeping a scoreboard. As you'll see, I eventually got to SB. However, as you can see from the scoreboard, I was all over the place. On Oct 15 I learned that my Nov 15 lock date been moved to **OCT 15!!!! **. SB was leading at that point and that's what I submitted. I had no regrets until inadvertently running across a picture of the Lava a few days later. As you can see from the scoreboard, Lava made a stirring late rally and I asked/begged to have my order changed a week later. Porsche approved the change, probably because of the way they handled my freeze date.

Don't want to mess with your head (well, maybe not too much).

Either way you're going to have a stunning car.......

Old 11-10-2021, 03:35 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Wow, and I thought I was all over the place (Lava, GT Silver, Aventurine Green, Yellow, and then at the last minute... SHARK BLUE. FINAL ANSWER!)

But a spreadsheet. Wow. Impressive.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Originally Posted by kor446
I perseverated over color so much that I decided to have some fun with my process by keeping a scoreboard. As you'll see, I eventually got to SB. However, as you can see from the scoreboard, I was all over the place. On Oct 15 I learned that my Nov 15 lock date been moved to **OCT 15!!!! **. SB was leading at that point and that's what I submitted. I had no regrets until inadvertently running across a picture of the Lava a few days later. As you can see from the scoreboard, Lava made a stirring late rally and I asked/begged to have my order changed a week later. Porsche approved the change, probably because of the way they handled my freeze date.

Don't want to mess with your head (well, maybe not too much).

Either way you're going to have a stunning car.......

Yes, I am hurting....my soul is crying with first-world personal crisis. SB is stunning but it's a 2nd best for me. Sapphire Blue is the most beautiful color on a Cayman for me. It has always been but I want a new one. The original and true SB is not available anymore and even if I was Plum Purple crazy, custom paint is not offered in the T. So SB2 is the next closest but it is also screams fad color to me. Every new FJ, Tacoma, Audi SUV, Focus ST and even the new Corvette have some variation of SB2. Yes it is a stunning color but it's stunning in a way like a girl with fake D size breasts....yes, stunning, you admire but not sure if I want it for my wife. Please no offense to anyone with it. It is still on Track Your Dream as my color and I am throwing $2600 at it for just being a second choice. Just like you, my lock date was this past 4th, but now they moved it to Nov. 16 Germany time so the crisis continues. My most beloved car of all time, which I had when I met my wife was my 1980 Scirocco S in Mars Red and Lava Orange reminds me a little of it. I saw one in person in the showroom and it seemed somewhat muted but didn't get to see it outside in the sun, but Lava is so rare. I looked on Autotrader and I see two only. I know that doesn't mean much, I see guys with purple interiors and fuschia metallic paintjobs saying only one in the country, but it seems less common and for some reason has more pop than Guards Red. I wish I could see a 718 in LO soon, but I will go to Cars and Coffee RSF and hope to see the SB2 again. It seems every new Spyder and GT4 is coming in that color so there will proably be something. Finally another crazy nagging thing is that I am going with the Cayman T and it also feels like I'm trying to pretend to be a GT car with the GT3 rollout paint job, even though that's not it, I can just see hear the Porsche guys....hah that guy with his tiny little 2L trying to be a GT3. : )

So sorry for the crazy rant, can you share your thoughts on here or by IM on how your Lava Orange went from 2nd to first place in the end?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 11-10-2021 at 04:12 PM.
kwikit356 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 04:40 PM
kor446
Advanced

Lava: Caught my eye immediately on the configurator but didn't want such a "look at me" color.
SB: Not a blue guy, but gorgeous IRL, at least under the showroom lights. Gradually moved up because it has character and would work perfectly with the carmine interior I wanted.
Chalk: Also beautiful. 1st place at the start and held strong for quite a while. It changes remarkably with light from a taupey grey to an off-white and everything in between. Conservative though. And after driving the car it just didn't seem "right"
Carmine: Very nice red, and I am a red guy. But didn't quite grab me, and didn't match the "personality" of the car as much as the blue.

My problem with the Lava was that I was set on the GTS-carmine interior. On top of screaming "I'm here!!!", I worried about the clash. If I were willing to go with a solid interior or the GTS-chalk it would have been easier. I did price out the GTS interior with Lava stitching. Estimate was $30,000. After locking I went so far as to get the opinion of our interior decorator who assured me the carmine trim would work just fine with the Lava. That was the day marked in yellow on my scoreboard.
Inigo Montoya (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 04:42 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Yes, I am hurting....my soul is crying with first-world personal crisis. SB is stunning but it's a 2nd best for me. Sapphire Blue is the most beautiful color on a Cayman for me. It has always been but I want a new one. The original and true SB is not available anymore and even if I was Plum Purple crazy, custom paint is not offered in the T. So SB2 is the next closest but it is also screams fad color to me. Every new FJ, Tacoma, Audi SUV, Focus ST and even the new Corvette have some variation of SB2. Yes it is a stunning color but it's stunning in a way like a girl with fake D size breasts....yes, stunning, you admire but not sure if I want it for my wife. Please no offense to anyone with it. It is still on Track Your Dream as my color and I am throwing $2600 at it for just being a second choice. Just like you, my lock date was this past 4th, but now they moved it to Nov. 16 Germany time so the crisis continues. My most beloved car of all time, which I had when I met my wife was my 1980 Scirocco S in Mars Red and Lava Orange reminds me a little of it. I saw one in person in the showroom and it seemed somewhat muted but didn't get to see it outside in the sun, but Lava is so rare. I looked on Autotrader and I see two only. I know that doesn't mean much, I see guys with purple interiors and fuschia metallic paintjobs saying only one in the country, but it seems less common and for some reason has more pop than Guards Red. I wish I could see a 718 in LO soon, but I will go to Cars and Coffee RSF and hope to see the SB2 again. It seems every new Spyder and GT4 is coming in that color so there will proably be something. Finally another crazy nagging thing is that I am going with the Cayman T and it also feels like I'm trying to pretend to be a GT car with the GT3 rollout paint job, even though that's not it, I can just see hear the Porsche guys....hah that guy with his tiny little 2L trying to be a GT3. : )

So sorry for the crazy rant, can you share your thoughts on here or by IM on how your Lava Orange went from 2nd to first place in the end?
First, don’t worry about what “posers” think. True car guys know that you should pick what fits you. Anyone looking down their nose has personal issues and honestly, I don’t think represents this community at all. The Cayman T is an awesome focused car. Congrats!

Second, color choice is difficult for sure. You might just consider getting basic white and having the car wrapped. (Actually, I had a white Cayman and really liked it in white!) Lava orange was a contender for me, but you see my choice was SB. I just find it to be a happy color.

One more thing - once you make your decision, it seems it will be fully vetted. Lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Inigo Montoya (11-10-2021), kor446 (11-10-2021), kwikit356 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 05:08 PM
kor446
Advanced

can you share your thoughts on here or by IM on how your Lava Orange went from 2nd to first place in the end?
Check out this thread over on the 718 Forum. It has a bunch of pix. I have a name tag ribbon that is officially lava orange. Many pix come out too red, some show a bit of pink. The ribbon is a vibrant classic orange. Here's a pic that I've adjusted to be fairly close but is still a touch to the red. It's also more vibrant IRL:

Last edited by kor446; 11-10-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:32 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Thank you for the solid words. Yes, the T is what brought me over to Porsche. Ironically, it was seeing cloth seats in it that turned me on to it. Nothing says focused like cloth sport seats...except maybe alcantara, but same principle. I also think White is in the same line of focus, just so many cool colors that it's hard to pick one, but I appreciate your thoughts on it. I have this last weekend to decide (suffer?) Congrats to all the SB2 owners, stunning color.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:50 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

I'm really, honestly glad to see others struggled/struggling as much as I did over color. It was making me feel badly about myself. How could I now have a dream car already spec'd out in my head before deciding to buy? I really took a 180 at the 11th hour (almost right at the 11th hour before my lock, in fact). But I'm feeling confident in my choice. (That was before I saw a VW in their version of Shark Blue in person and my heart sank. Suffice it to say SB is not a wise choice on a clunky SUV but I think it looks great on sports cars. At least that's what I keep telling myself until my car arrives! LOL)

Anyway, this is all part of the fun, I suppose. Or part of the torture maybe.

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread