Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 10:51 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Lol. Right. I heaped a lot of stuff on mine… I intended it to be a spare build when I started out on this project. Anyway, I thought about doing the black calipers, but I actually like that dash of red. Well, I think so. Who knows, never saw it in person and then in photos after it locked. If I don’t like it, it’s easy enough to paint. I forget, did you do the black leather with blue stitching? I did black leather, blue stitching, and CF trim. It was scheduled to be built next week, and just asked this evening for a V code update from my SA to see if that’s still the schedule. In another month, there should be a lot of SB photos out there.
I am all yellow on the interior(deviated stitching/belts/dials) and black calipers. I do plan on painting calipers yellow....but I spec'd black just to buy me some time....literally! Hindsight??? Maybe blue stitching with yellow belts and dials? I was literally teetering on the carbon buckets....my SA talked me out of it. While I think I may regret that....it is a two edge sword. I will regret not getting buckets....BUT....if I got them, I probably would have been bitching about the comfort factor. I do have sciatic issues on long drives in our nice comfy Cayenne. And mama has a nice round booty...so not sure it would have fit her not to mention climbing in and out of that thing. But she did fully endorse "whatever I wanted"....as this is going to be a big purchase for me.

Last edited by flynlo; 08-19-2021 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spyder Bite (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:17 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
I am all yellow on the interior(deviated stitching/belts/dials) and black calipers. I do plan on painting calipers yellow....but I spec'd black just to buy me some time....literally! Hindsight??? Maybe blue stitching with yellow belts and dials? I was literally teetering on the carbon buckets....my SA talked me out of it. While I think I may regret that....it is a two edge sword. I will regret not getting buckets....BUT....if I got them, I probably would have been bitching about the comfort factor. I do have sciatic issues on long drives in our nice comfy Cayenne. And mama has a nice round booty...so not sure it would have fit her not to mention climbing in and out of that thing. But she did fully endorse "whatever I wanted"....as this is going to be a big purchase for me.
Yes, now I remember. I think the yellow will look great with the blue… specified well.. and thought about doing yellow as well. This was a difficult build for me as I did it entirely off the configurator without seeing samples. I was a bit anxious about it until I saw the photos start rolling in.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:32 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Yes, now I remember. I think the yellow will look great with the blue… specified well.. and thought about doing yellow as well. This was a difficult build for me as I did it entirely off the configurator without seeing samples. I was a bit anxious about it until I saw the photos start rolling in.
Yep I felt the same way. I do think we overthink it a bit. The Spyder is very forgiving from an aesthetic viewpoint as it pretty much looks good in almost all color configurations. I was freaking out on the yellow stuff and then I saw a Miami Blue build eactly like mine....and it was stunning. I don't think the different shade of blue had anything to do with it. Anyway, I love the fact that you went with Blue on the stitching. It will be badass!!! I think the one thing that kept me going that route was the lack of configurator "feedback". I know there were GT3s out there with it and I did look at those. But the lock was coming down and I stayed the course with the yellow. I think it will be fine.... ANd your car will be fantastic!!!
Dan Nagy (08-19-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:18 AM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Probably the best pics of Shark Blue I have seen yet(GT4). This is actually good photography. Red calipers a little "contrasty" but what a great representation of the color. Make sure you "scroll" as there are about 5-6 pics.

​​​​​​https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZ_LCUM..._web_copy_link
Shark blue was made for black wheels. Damn that looks good

Last edited by Spyder Bite; 08-20-2021 at 02:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyder Bite:
75north (08-20-2021), Dan Nagy (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:20 AM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Lol. Right. I heaped a lot of stuff on mine… I intended it to be a spare build when I started out on this project. Anyway, I thought about doing the black calipers, but I actually like that dash of red. Well, I think so. Who knows, never saw it in person and then in photos after it locked. If I don’t like it, it’s easy enough to paint. I forget, did you do the black leather with blue stitching? I did black leather, blue stitching, and CF trim. It was scheduled to be built next week, and just asked this evening for a V code update from my SA to see if that’s still the schedule. In another month, there should be a lot of SB photos out there.
Let us know if your build is staying on schedule.

Last edited by Spyder Bite; 08-20-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:24 AM
Spyder Bite
Pro

I backed away from the yellow stitching, yellow chrono, and yellow seat belts and changed to silver stitching and all black dials. I also changed from carbon fiber to black aluminum. I then went for the burmester.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyder Bite:
Dan Nagy (08-20-2021), jimdillard (02-13-2022)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:58 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

For what it's worth, I was at my OPC and they had a GT4 that just came in which was in shark blue with yellow stitching and other details. It looked amazing! Like Dan I am currently sitting on a build that is Shark Blue with Speed Blue Stitching. As the car was locked I wasn't able to take a pic of the interior to show the yellow with SB. They also had a 992 in the showroom in SB. Granted it was under showroom lighting but it did take away any doubts I might have had on the colour. I will say this, it is of course a solid colour and I have a feeling due to the brightness it will be a pain to keep swirl free.

The purpose of my visit was to see in person SB but also a sample of the Orange stitching. I know blue and orange complement each other and initially was going to go with Lava Orange stitching which they did have but sadly not offered on the Spyder. The normal orange stitching is just more, well orange. Any thoughts? Too left field? Was and am hoping to do something a tad different. Input would be appreciated...

Pics of Shark next to a Miami. Taken on an iPhone with zero filter and a pic the paint sample with the Lava Orange sample they did have and finally a pic that someone else posted with it next to normal orange.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:49 AM
thundabyr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

How about a matt wrap? https://www.instagram.com/p/CSukPFDCwZY/
Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
For what it's worth, I was at my OPC and they had a GT4 that just came in which was in shark blue with yellow stitching and other details. It looked amazing! Like Dan I am currently sitting on a build that is Shark Blue with Speed Blue Stitching. As the car was locked I wasn't able to take a pic of the interior to show the yellow with SB. They also had a 992 in the showroom in SB. Granted it was under showroom lighting but it did take away any doubts I might have had on the colour. I will say this, it is of course a solid colour and I have a feeling due to the brightness it will be a pain to keep swirl free.

The purpose of my visit was to see in person SB but also a sample of the Orange stitching. I know blue and orange complement each other and initially was going to go with Lava Orange stitching which they did have but sadly not offered on the Spyder. The normal orange stitching is just more, well orange. Any thoughts? Too left field? Was and am hoping to do something a tad different. Input would be appreciated...

Pics of Shark next to a Miami. Taken on an iPhone with zero filter and a pic the paint sample with the Lava Orange sample they did have and finally a pic that someone else posted with it next to normal orange.
Thanks for the pics! Looking good.

As for lava orange stitching, yes, it could look cool with the right shade of blue. That seems to work, but without seeing it I’m not sure, and you have that advantage. I wish that they would change up their two-tone interiors - they are not keeping up with the changes in paint. I almost did the brown leather but wasn’t sure it would work with the blue, and that took me down the Carmine Red rabbit hole. In the end, I really wanted shark blue and the black rims, black leather/speed blue, and black top give balance to the bright blue, IMO. I may actually keep this longer than 8 months (how long I kept my 992)!
Old 08-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thundabyr
Saw that, tried to forget it. It doesn’t work well on this color, IMO. I think the frozen berry could look cool with that wrap.
thundabyr (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:58 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
I backed away from the yellow stitching, yellow chrono, and yellow seat belts and changed to silver stitching and all black dials. I also changed from carbon fiber to black aluminum. I then went for the burmester.
It hurts my eyes to look at colored gauges. Seriously, it does. I’ll look forward to seeing your interior shots when you post photos!
Old 08-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Spyder Bite
Pro

It hurts my eyes to look at colored gauges. Seriously, it does. I’ll look forward to seeing your interior shots when you post photos!
i agree on the colored gauges that’s why originally I just had the Chrono in yellow. Now all are back to black. 👍🏻
Old 08-20-2021, 10:03 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 353 Posts

Are we all just going to ignore the elephant in the room? Someone ordered a Miami Blue Boxster and thought it would be OK to put a navy blue roof on it...

Originally Posted by CurbKiller

The following 5 users liked this post by 0-Day:
Dan Nagy (08-20-2021), smegman (08-20-2021), sonicworld (08-20-2021), Spyder Bite (08-20-2021), Spyder718 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 10:31 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Are we all just going to ignore the elephant in the room? Someone ordered a Miami Blue Boxster and thought it would be OK to put a navy blue roof on it...
That's over in the UK....they have a sense of humor over there!!!...
Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 130 Posts

That's over in the UK....they have a sense of humor over there!!!...
Like ordering a convertible in the first place?
Dan Nagy (08-20-2021)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread