Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 vs. C8 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021 | 03:31 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Isn't Chevy abandoning the mid-engine format due to issues and customer opinion?

Considerations were...future electric, ease of working on engine, placement of mods, historic definition of what a Corvette should be etc...
Old 04-11-2021 | 03:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
Isn't Chevy abandoning the mid-engine format due to issues and customer opinion?

Considerations were...future electric, ease of working on engine, placement of mods, historic definition of what a Corvette should be etc...
I have not heard that. With electric coming into its own though, it might be irrelevant. The C9 might be fully electric if technology comes far enough by the time they wrap up the C8 program.
Old 04-11-2021 | 03:54 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Never heard this rumor. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon given the spend on developing this platform though I could see the next platform having a decidedly electric bias.
Old 04-11-2021 | 04:22 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Originally Posted by enduro
Never heard this rumor. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon given the spend on developing this platform though I could see the next platform having a decidedly electric bias.
You're probably right, as they will maximize the current platform before moving to electric in 2024. They are also planning on creating a Corvette sub-brand like Ford has done with Mustang.
Old 04-12-2021 | 01:47 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

THAT was an April FOOLS DAY joke by GM!
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021 | 01:55 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minn19
Which sum of parts? The ones you had to add/change to make your GT4 not handle terribly (your words)?
The two are not mutually exclusive... 1. Not a fan of American sports cars overall (and wouldnt be caught dead in one) and 2. That my GT4 was terrible from the factory in terms of alignment and feel of the PASM. Further... IF I bought an American car my expectations would be lower (as would the price point) and therefore I might be satisfied bashing the crap outta a crappy car. But at the premium and engineering of a Porsche GT car Id better get closer to perfection. Hows that! Im astounded at how many people cant grasp the simple concept that so many are dissatisfied with how their GT4/Spyders came set up from the factory.... Its been a well discussed and documented gripe by many.
Old 04-12-2021 | 01:59 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by virdoc
I have a gt3 touring. Was on a few lists for a Spyder. Never got called. Once details came out about z06, I got refunds for the Spyder deposits. Now have deposits for z06. Hopefully it’ll be available soon.

I realized the longer I waited for the Spyder allocation, the less excited I got about the car. Opposite of my experience waiting for the gt3. I’m excited for the z06 based on what I’ve read. For me, these toys are about emotional excitement. Spyder just didn’t quite “rev me up” I guess
Thats a good choice. The Spyder is a specific type of sports car and not so track oriented. That said its still a nifty piece of machinery.
Old 04-12-2021 | 02:05 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minn19
The pretentiousness on this forum (and BP) is always fun to read when it comes to other brands, especially US ones. It's kind of funny to read concerns about quality when there is a stop sale/recall due to a major engine/QC issue and fairly widespread TPMS issues (minor). Not to mention another possibly major issue with manual transmissions grinding in second gear, which hasn't happened for me on any other manual I've ever owned across numerous brands. My ZL1 1LE never had an issue period. Was it down market interior wise etc, yes, but it would kick the **** out off almost anything Porsche makes performance wise at a much lower price and running costs. They've been doing this for years and innovating much more than Porsche and the other German brands for that matter for quite awhile now.

The disappointments for me regarding the C8 (and previous ZL1 1LE) were weight and specifically in the C8s case, lack of a manual option. I still may look at the C8 Z06 depending on where this gear box issue and other things that may crop up with my CGTS end up.

Obviously, if you do have an issue it is much better to be in a Macan loaner than a Cobalt. Also you are sitting in a posh Porsche dealer (that we paid for) instead of a Chevy dealer with the common folk, right?
Its the feeling you get when behind the wheel. If anyone has to explain it then its not going to be understood, clear? American Muscle cars are fine... in a Dukes of Hazzard sorta way, if you are like that kinda guy. PS. How far over the edge does everyone think I have to go before people realize Im mostly kidding? Mostly.
Old 04-12-2021 | 02:45 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Form follows function....
How many sets of golf clubs can you fit inside your GT4 or Spyder?
At least in a 981/718 spyder two full sets with light carry on bags, two push carts with 3 wheels :-) . Plus luggage for the an extended weekend. Storage capacity in the spyder is fantastic.
Old 04-12-2021 | 09:35 AM
CZ718GT4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beoliving
At least in a 981/718 spyder two full sets with light carry on bags, two push carts with 3 wheels :-) . Plus luggage for the an extended weekend. Storage capacity in the spyder is fantastic.
Easily two light carry bags in the rear with space to spare in a GT4.. Also great how the liner keep the bags from moving around on spirited drives to the course.. and as a bonus, a free frunk.

Last edited by CZ718GT4; 04-12-2021 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Specified GT4
Old 04-12-2021 | 11:28 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Once upon a time, I fell for the hype of a shiny new 2017 Z06....it was all the rave of magazines and other media alike.

It was absolutely one of the worst cars I ever owned. From the terrible glue smell of the interior, to the overheating after a 20 minute drive in the Florida sun, to nonexistent customer service of GM and my dealership, to being treated like the guy who bought a Cobalt.

Never again.

The following 5 users liked this post by ggreg911:
CaymanCarver (04-14-2021), dnimi123 (04-12-2021), JD911 (04-12-2021), manifold danger (10-04-2022), Rasputin. (10-04-2022)
Old 04-12-2021 | 11:30 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by joejenie
I have a C8 Z06 coming, but will be an add. I had a C7 GS, Camaro ZL1 1LE and a C7ZR1 for awhile (wish I wouldn't have sold it now). They were not built as well as my Porsche's, but damn, they are great on the track if you can stomach the consumables. About 2-3 seconds a lap faster than any GT4 in my experience. I seem to keep my Porsche's though and churn through my Chevy's. haha.

I thought the C8 has terrible understeer mid corner when I drove it.. Driver skill will make up the 2-3 seconds...
Old 04-12-2021 | 01:43 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Once upon a time, I fell for the hype of a shiny new 2017 Z06....it was all the rave of magazines and other media alike.

It was absolutely one of the worst cars I ever owned. From the terrible glue smell of the interior, to the overheating after a 20 minute drive in the Florida sun, to nonexistent customer service of GM and my dealership, to being treated like the guy who bought a Cobalt.

Never again.
This! Except mine was a 2015...
Old 04-12-2021 | 01:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JD911
This! Except mine was a 2015...
Lol, 2016 here...
Old 04-12-2021 | 02:13 PM
Driven991
Racer

After owning a couple of 911s I ventured to the Chevy side briefly. Owned a 17 C7 GS for about 6 months. Loved the Chevy V8 sound on start up and the chrome wheels. Interior smelled like glue, lots of interior and exterior plastic parts. Whenever I washed it or stepped out of it I realized just how much plastic was bolted on the car...seemed cheap. Never took it to the track. Car would spin the rear wheels at the drop of a hat and had a huge blind spot. You really better be paying attention in traffic changing lanes in a C7. Just never grew to care for it and sold it 6 months after I bought it.

Looked at and sat in a C8 Non Z51 stingray at my local Chevy dealer. Was an ordered car and when it came in the buyer didn't want it. Dealer had this thing roped off like I was looking at a GT3 RS or something. While the specs show it to have great acceleration it is a heavy car which doesn't appeal to me personally no matter how much HP it has. Heavy is heavy. While the interior was better than the C7 I owned I wouldn't call it great. It didn't smell like glue but also didn't really smell like leather. The layout seemed a bit disjointed to me as well. Then with the ridiculous dealer gouging going on all over a Corvette that will be worth 50% or less than what you paid for it in 5 years I just said to myself I can't believe I'm even thinking about going. back here again.

Surprised any corvette buyer would pay a dealer markup on these cars. Chevy is going to flood the market with them. As exotic and new as they look now, IMO in 3 or 4 years you will find them at used car lots all over town at a drastic price drop vs new.

At some angles the C8 looks great and other angles it looks terrible...to me anyway. The rear of the car looks like a Camaro.

Something a lot of the new C8 owners are about to experience is a cost of repair increase. As I understand it from talking to the Chevy dealer if the DCT malfunctions the customer can choose to ship it back to Tremec for an attempted repair or just have it replaced. it will be less expensive than a PDK but will still be $$$.

If Chevy doesn't do any better with their flat plane crank than Ford did the new Z06 owners may not be very happy about replacing those out of warranty either. Surprised Chevy is doing this considering one of their strong points has always been a very reliable V8 engine easily modded for power.

So now I own another Porsche...which of course has it's ups and downs as well. However it is lighter, quick enough, less common on the street and Porsche GT cars tend to hold their value fairly well.

Last edited by Driven991; 04-12-2021 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (04-14-2021)

Quick Reply: GT4 vs. C8 Z06