Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021 | 01:54 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche757
Was supposed to pick her up last month but now its late august. She got her new engine already. Stuck in Jacksonville and I have heard that the long term storage cars are kept in a better area. Headed to Atlanta soon, at least there it can be stored away from the elements. Looking forward to meeting her!
I’m confused, you have had the engine swap already?
Old 06-29-2021 | 03:34 AM
Porsche757
Instructor

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I’m confused, you have had the engine swap already?
Yes that's what I was told.
Old 06-29-2021 | 09:29 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Was supposed to pick her up last month but now its late august. She got her new engine already. Stuck in Jacksonville and I have heard that the long term storage cars are kept in a better area. Headed to Atlanta soon, at least there it can be stored away from the elements. Looking forward to meeting her!
If the swap is done, why is delivery delayed to late August? Also, do you I have any specifics on "better area"? i.e. Is it protected from the elements?.
Old 06-29-2021 | 09:35 AM
johnycarrera
Advanced

Update from Scotland, agree with all the above sentiments and feelings, I’m still not getting as much communication as I’d like, but down to my persistence all my parts arrived last Wednesday.

After a couple of “no replies” the manager got back to me and said my rebuild will start in the next day or two but couldn’t say how long it would take but they’ll be in touch (unlikely).

I’m on my 3rd PPF booking on 13th July so hope I don’t need a 4th that company keep juggling their books for me. Think I’ve heard it’s 40 hours to do the rebuild so it’s definitely doable but unlikely if they start next week.

horrible experience same as everyone else and totally down to communication and transparency.

Hopefully my next update will be pick up day!
The following 2 users liked this post by johnycarrera:
8haggis (06-29-2021), UncleDude (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 10:07 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
If I may chime in to just add a different view point to the frustration that everybody is experiencing on this thread and maybe a little bit of encouragement. I know some or even all will say that my opinion doesn't carry any weight since my car wasn't affected by the suspension nor con rod fiasco but please allow me to share a different view point.

So first off, although my car wasn't held back due to the suspension and con rod fiasco, my car was delayed 4 times during production. This isn't to say that it was delayed like the fixed date got pushed back or leaving Emden got moved later. My car was literally delayed 4 times while on the production line. M original completion date was scheduled for 1/29/21. It ultimately was 3/11/21 so basically 1.5 month delay. Yes, I know this isn't the same as getting delayed 6 months but my car did get delayed while on the production line and for all I know, I could have been affected by either/and suspension/con rod fiasco but maybe it was caught while on the production line and fixed there.

So anybody on RL is to some extent considered an "enthusiast" of the brand so we're going to be above the average person that just wants to buy a Porsche. In other words, we care about the deviated stitching or whether or not the red calipers go with Miami Blue or how long the Alcantara steering wheel will hold up, or if there are any benefits to getting PCCB, etc. With that being said, we're all a bunch of people that WANT and NEED information about the cars. We follow them through the build timeline and get excited when we have a VIN issued but on the flip side, we get annoyed when Porsche identifies an issue and doesn't communicate anything to the public for 3 days.

So having said all of that, I would like to just offer another side to Porsche not keeping in communication with everybody to the level that you're looking for or expecting. I had a BMW with the N54 engine. BMW's first go at direct injection turbo (that I know of.) I'm sure most of you have heard about the high pressure fuel pump failure and if you haven't look it up on BMW forums. You think this forum gets a lot of action, you haven't seen anything yet. I bring this issue to share a scenario when there truly is no communication with the public so in comparison, I think Porsche has done a "great" job of appeasing the customers with their offer and also communicating at least to some extent. BMW on the other hand did not communicate ANYTHING! The only communication came when the official recall letter came in the mail and this was after a couple of years of BMW not knowing how to fix the issue. ...and yes, my HPFP did fail not once but twice. First time, they tried fixing it with a remanufactured HPFP. Second time, they tried a different manufacturer HpFP. After this didn't work, they replaced again and if I remember correctly, they did a software update. When I brought in the car and talked to the service advisor about it, they would all just say you're the first car that I've heard about this failure occurring on. Give me a F-N break.

Not only did BMW not know what the problem was, they couldn't figure it our for like 2 years and not once did they ever send anything to affected people. We were literally all on the forums trying to figure out how to fix it ourselves with people reporting the model numbers of the different pumps they used and if it worked or not and discussing all kinds of datapoints. When the recall came out, the "freebie" was basically an extended warranty of the emissions equipment as I believe it falls under emissions control but it wasn't like they gave $4000 for you to spend or anything like that. BMW is just the worse!

I share this because I know many people have debated whether or not to jump ship. Just know that if you do decide to keep your car and wait it out or try for another allocation, you will be getting a great car. The wait will be worth it. This is my first Porsche and I have a little over 700 miles already. Took my dad out for a drive along the PCH last night and then to dinner and then drove home at night with the top down and he said this is what a convertible is all about. "It's so nice to drive a convertible with the top down and the fresh air all around you and being able to see the stars at night." My older son who is not into cars said he likes convertibles now and would like to get one when he grows up. My middle son asked me to downloaded Gran Turismo on PS5 and then all of the sudden I see my oldest son playing it and he bought a GT3 RS as his first car in the game.

Hang in there everybody. It'll be so worth it!
So you got your BMW and over two years you had to take it in for new fuel pumps twice and then a recall. Each one took what, a week? So in the first two years you had your car 99 of 102 weeks. And you had a loaner when it was in the shop. All at no cost. And you’re still complaining about it years later. Let me see if I can help you understand the difference. YOU HAD YOUR CAR.
Old 06-29-2021 | 10:41 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Which dealer?

I had spoken to both of them and I didn’t think either dealer had any sitting at the port. Of course they aren’t the most reliable source.

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 06-29-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2021 | 12:38 PM
Susan Schneider
Instructor

what model did your order?
Old 06-29-2021 | 01:05 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
So you got your BMW and over two years you had to take it in for new fuel pumps twice and then a recall. Each one took what, a week? So in the first two years you had your car 99 of 102 weeks. And you had a loaner when it was in the shop. All at no cost. And you’re still complaining about it years later. Let me see if I can help you understand the difference. YOU HAD YOUR CAR.
Maybe you missed the point of me sharing that part of the story and glossed over the fact that I stated that I know it's not the same situation but I shared the story to demonstrate the complete and total lack of communication. It wasn't about whether or not I had my car. It was about an issue that a manufacturer clearly had with their car and not communicating with the public at all to even acknowledge the problem.

If you're not familiar with the situation, search HPFP, N54, and limp mode.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 05:44 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Here is an example of Ford communicating with folks waiting on their new Broncos with no real explanation for the long delays. I'm not sure emails like this would help me feel better

"Your wilderness calls. Your Bronco SUV will answer. Anticipation really spikes when we’re expecting something awesome, and we want to assure you that when your Bronco arrives, it’ll exceed your every expectation. Meanwhile we’ll continue to keep you updated on all things Bronco while you await your delivery."
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
P-car-Vancouver (06-29-2021), Susan Schneider (06-29-2021), UncleDude (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 07:49 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Maybe you missed the point of me sharing that part of the story and glossed over the fact that I stated that I know it's not the same situation but I shared the story to demonstrate the complete and total lack of communication. It wasn't about whether or not I had my car. It was about an issue that a manufacturer clearly had with their car and not communicating with the public at all to even acknowledge the problem.

100% get what you are saying.

I had a 2008 135 with N54. Mine actually never had the issue with HPFP. There were other little nagging issues that were resolved without not having the car for weeks. Only day trips to the dealer.

For my spyder, I traded in my old car July 2020 for April 2021 delivery to secure the allocation. Even if I accept the engine replacement, August is the estimated time. 4 months lost. Where I live, I might have 3-4 months left (if the weather cooperates) in the driving season.

To add insult to injury, my request in March this year for a brand new allocation was basically no. Get in line AFTER other customers and you can get it in 2022. 12 month wait from original estimated delivery.

5k Canadian compensation in a 140k built is less than 4%. That is really a token discount. At the end of the day, Porsche is still making a healthy profit per car.

As I have mentioned before, I know I am in the minority here. I am glad that most of you are happy with what is being offered on the table.

The communication from Porsche IMO is so so. I would rather them fix the damn car/ prioritize allocation faster instead of telling us what is going on. A bit of all talk, not much action IMO.

This might sound a bit elitist but I am just going to say it. Please don’t flame too hard.

IMO, Porsche positions themselves as a luxury brand above BMW.

Since they are charging a lot more for their cars and their profit margin is a lot higher per car, I expect better from Porsche than the service that I get from BMW.

Just my 2 cents.
Susan Schneider (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 08:37 PM
fiorentm
Track Day

Originally Posted by johnycarrera
Update from Scotland, agree with all the above sentiments and feelings, I’m still not getting as much communication as I’d like, but down to my persistence all my parts arrived last Wednesday.

After a couple of “no replies” the manager got back to me and said my rebuild will start in the next day or two but couldn’t say how long it would take but they’ll be in touch (unlikely).

I’m on my 3rd PPF booking on 13th July so hope I don’t need a 4th that company keep juggling their books for me. Think I’ve heard it’s 40 hours to do the rebuild so it’s definitely doable but unlikely if they start next week.

horrible experience same as everyone else and totally down to communication and transparency.

Hopefully my next update will be pick up day!
My service manager informed me that the repair will take 45 hours….once the parts arrive.

Good luck and hope you get behind the wheel soon.
johnycarrera (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 09:08 PM
Porsche757
Instructor

CGTS 4.0 for Atlanta PEC. Only available dates when I was informed in early May were in August but I will inquire if something earlier is now available.
Old 06-29-2021 | 09:32 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey;[url=tel:17521880
17521880[/url]]Maybe you missed the point of me sharing that part of the story and glossed over the fact that I stated that I know it's not the same situation but I shared the story to demonstrate the complete and total lack of communication. It wasn't about whether or not I had my car. It was about an issue that a manufacturer clearly had with their car and not communicating with the public at all to even acknowledge the problem.

I had an E46 M3 that was subject to the con rod bearings recall. BMW didn’t acknowledge that problem for a couple of years. But it was much less a problem than this because I had my car.

I really think you’re comparing apples and kittens.
Old 06-29-2021 | 10:11 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

I think you’re the first one reporting a new engine that hasn’t already been driving the car. Let’s hope they crank them out in July!………
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
8haggis (06-30-2021), Dan Shust (06-30-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 11:57 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
I had an E46 M3 that was subject to the con rod bearings recall. BMW didn’t acknowledge that problem for a couple of years. But it was much less a problem than this because I had my car.

I really think you’re comparing apples and kittens.
Yup. It is an apple to kittens comparison in terms what the issue is/was. I never said it was an apple to apple comparison. Again, my point was to demonstrate that whatever the issue was whether we have the car or not, how was the communication from the corporate entity about the issue. As you've confirmed here, BMW didn't acknowledge the issue facing your E46 M3 for a couple of years and neither did BMW corporate acknowledge the issue facing the N54 HPFP failures. My post was and is about how at least Porsche said something. To some, it was enough. To others it wasn't enough and still isn't enough. As I said at the end of the post, I feel for all of those involved because I too was very anxious in getting my car and as I said for those that have decided to wait, the wait will be worth it. I also understand those that have jumped ship to buy something else, as one person reported buying a boat instead and others have tried for a new allocation. Can't fault anyone for their decision. Just offering some words of support and encouragement.

If we all look through business history, we can all identify many situations that we've been involved in and have waited for the corporate entity to put out some kind of communication. More times than not, corporate america isn't in a hurry to communicate with the public on issues with their product or services. That leaves the public wondering and in many cases lead to more confusion and even anger for the corporate entity not communicating.

My car wasn't affected by the suspension or con rod issue and so I have no place to tell anybody how to feel, react, what to accept or not accept, etc and that is why I haven't told anybody to do anything. I'm simply offering my words of support and encouragement and to also provide positive words to hang in there because at the end of the day, the cars are a blast to drive and they'll soon forget about this fiasco (hopefully) once they're behind the wheels.

I'm sorry if people are receiving my message differently than intended. Maybe people aren't reading my posts fully. I know they tend to be quite long.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (06-30-2021), UncleDude (06-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4