Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Questions about Spyder before buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021 | 09:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Spyder above looks great, I am sure that plugging and then painting the clamshell was a fair amount of money?

Additionally when mine was disconnected it registered warnings about not being active, ie. burnt out.

Anyway, for me I don't see the Sirius antenna anymore and I actually like the third brake light on the Spyder, reminds me of an aero fairing of sorts and the led glow when braking looks cool on the Chalk paint, to each there own I guess!
Old 03-28-2021 | 10:23 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The Spyder above looks great, I am sure that plugging and then painting the clamshell was a fair amount of money?

Additionally when mine was disconnected it registered warnings about not being active, ie. burnt out.

Anyway, for me I don't see the Sirius antenna anymore and I actually like the third brake light on the Spyder, reminds me of an aero fairing of sorts and the led glow when braking looks cool on the Chalk paint, to each there own I guess!
Genuinely don't remember how much it cost, but I DO notice that the car looks exactly as I want it every time I look at it
The following users liked this post:
DreiPedals (08-05-2022)
Old 03-28-2021 | 10:52 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Genuinely don't remember how much it cost, but I DO notice that the car looks exactly as I want it every time I look at it
If it makes you happy, then it’s worth every penny
Old 03-29-2021 | 11:04 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I tend to remember exactly how much something like that cost, I could guess it might approach $1000 to remove and fill all of those holes then paint to match on a car at this level, how does it look on the underside, pictures?

What did they do about the error messages?
Old 03-29-2021 | 01:05 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

I tend to remember exactly how much something like that cost, I could guess it might approach $1000 to remove and fill all of those holes then paint to match on a car at this level, how does it look on the underside, pictures?

Yes it was over 1k. After putting over 50k in mods into this car, I don't remember exactly how much it was.
Old 03-29-2021 | 01:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m guessing multiples of that number if the holes were welded shut and whole panel was refinished.

$1000 is a bumper touchup...
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (07-28-2021)
Old 10-19-2021 | 03:53 PM
andrewburkert
1st Gear

Lightbulb Ugly parts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I respect your opinion fully but my opinion is in staunch disagreement. That panel in particular is such a beautiful body panel on the Spyder, that lump is a tragedy, and one that I notice every single time I look at the car. Although still egregious, it's less of an issue on the GT4. Overall it's not a reason to not buy a Spyder or GT4, but to me it is undeniably revolting.
Consider the fuel tank filler door, spoiling the curve on the beautiful front hip curves, and the bumps for the headlight washers. What about the way the rear view mirror looks from the outside? and many other engineering pieces. Form and function, it is just another tectonic part of the car, don't hate appreciate it for what it is.
Old 10-19-2021 | 05:12 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andrewburkert
Consider the fuel tank filler door, spoiling the curve on the beautiful front hip curves, and the bumps for the headlight washers. What about the way the rear view mirror looks from the outside? and many other engineering pieces. Form and function, it is just another tectonic part of the car, don't hate appreciate it for what it is.
Welcome to the forum… that’s a helluva first post (Just saying).

Last edited by SpeedySpidey; 10-19-2021 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 10-19-2021 | 05:47 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrewburkert
works for the SAT radio company I guess, because who else would think that the SAT radio is on par with gas in terms of function.

Seriously, not only would I not pay to have SAT radio, I'd pay a lot not to have it in any car that has an extra antennae attached for it. Headlight washers are the only similar example you gave, and I feel the same way about them, but at least they are an option. The issue here is that you can't get the Spyder in the US without that stupid bump, and its so-called function is not at all necessary for the car,

Old 10-19-2021 | 06:07 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
works for the SAT radio company I guess, because who else would think that the SAT radio is on par with gas in terms of function.

Seriously, not only would I not pay to have SAT radio, I'd pay a lot not to have it in any car that has an extra antennae attached for it. Headlight washers are the only similar example you gave, and I feel the same way about them, but at least they are an option. The issue here is that you can't get the Spyder in the US without that stupid bump, and its so-called function is not at all necessary for the car,
AFAIK, the only way to NOT have headlight washers is to not get HID/LED headlights... I don't mind the washers and definitely want the LED headlights!
Old 10-19-2021 | 06:49 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

I do feel the same way about the headlight washers as the stupid SAT bump, but still think that they are not quite as bad: they have more function, are in a less absurd location (somewhat), but most importantly, I could (and would) go with standard lights to avoid them. But yes, I agree that they are terrible too. Just not quite as terrible as the SAT bump in my opinion. The gas cap and rearview mirror, on the other hard, are not at all analogous,

Old 10-19-2021 | 07:54 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

I do feel the same way about the headlight washers as the stupid SAT bump, but still think that they are not quite as bad: they have more function, are in a less absurd location (somewhat), but most importantly, I could (and would) go with standard lights to avoid them. But yes, I agree that they are terrible too. Just not quite as terrible as the SAT bump in my opinion. The gas cap and rearview mirror, on the other hard, are not at all analogous,
I thought about deleting the washer nozzles on the front bumper, but didn't really get around to it. I have the body color ones, so they don't bother me...maybe I just got used to them. I agree with you about the XM antenna, however...it is in such a weird spot, I couldn't "un-see" it. So I had it deleted. While it was being deleted I figured "well I am doing body and paintwork anyway, might as well delete the third brake light also". My original idea was to paint the third brake light housing body color, but I decided to jump into the deep end and remove it altogether. I also had the red reflectors in the bumper painted white to give the car a cleaner look. Very happy with the results.
Old 10-19-2021 | 07:57 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Whoops, I guess some photos of the car in it’s completed state make sense here…

Last edited by JAhmed; 12-30-2021 at 09:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAhmed:
DP8 (10-19-2021), Jeff Jones (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021 | 10:04 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Is that really $50k of mods?
Old 10-19-2021 | 10:06 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I agree with you. I'd pay extra to not have SAT radio too. The bump, the infinite calls and letters to sign up. No thx. I tried it leaving the dealership, and that's the last time I switched to it. infact, I have never used it in any car except for the day I bought it to see if it got any better (spoiler, it hasn't).

Quick Reply: Questions about Spyder before buying