Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Questions about Spyder before buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021 | 03:42 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Questions about Spyder before buying

Most of my questions about the car were answered through the forum search, but I have a couple that I am hoping the forum can address for me. I'm considering ordering a Spyder after only having had 911s until now. I've never had one newer than a 997.
  • What is the small bump that is on some of the Boxsters' rear decks but not others? My guess is that it is an antennae or something. Does anyone know what option or options lead to that bump appearing? Here is a pic with the bump:
  • In a 718 Boxster without navigation, what alternatives are there for navigating. I am in the android world. Can I connect my phone to the car's display and use google maps? for example?
  • Most GTS 4.0s have in their steering wheel and extra set of buttons that look like they were an afterthought. I haven't seen those same buttons on the Spyder. They look like they are for selecting the drive modes. Could someone explain what they are and why some cars have them but not others? What options result in those buttons either being there or not? Here is a pic:
Old 02-08-2021 | 03:48 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

1. Bump is an antenna for satellite radio which is present on North American cars.
  2. They are offered with CarPlay but not Android Auto. There are aftermarket hacks to add Android Auto but I have no experience with them. I suggest getting the CarPlay option regardless since it's cheap to order and expensive to add later.
  3. Steering wheel buttons are optional on Spyder (included if you spec heated steering wheel). I prefer the default look without the buttons. The drive mode **** doesn't exist on the GT cars because they don't have drive modes. You can just configure individual things like suspension, auto start/stop, exhaust, auto blip, and traction control independently.
Old 02-08-2021 | 03:59 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Great answers, thanks.

What a terrible decision by Porsche to put that bump there without an option to remove it. I don't even want satellite radio and that stupid bump will always drive me up the wall. If it had some valuable purpose I guess I could live with it, or if I wanted the Satellite radio, but as it is I'm really bothered by it. Even if it was added on because they thought it made the car look better like a racing stripe or a functionless fin I would accept it more. But it is just ugly and useless. I still love the car, but wow.

It sounds like you are a real expert, but I am also hoping that there is some small chance that your info is not right. I am sure it is, but I wish it wasn't.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 993TurboS; 02-08-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 04:08 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Agreed on the Satellite Radio "wart". Ugly but nothing you can do about it for the NA market. I opted for the cleaner look of the standard wheel as well and even on other cars, I rarely find myself using those controls, I always just reach for the standard control. Unable to learn new tricks I guess

If you end up really hating the wart, you could always have a body shop remove/repair and then repaint that part of the car. Perhaps it would be possible to source another truck lid without it but both of these options would be expensive, perhaps hurt resale and in a few months, maybe you don't notice the wart anymore.
Old 02-08-2021 | 04:22 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Agreed on the Satellite Radio "wart". Ugly but nothing you can do about it for the NA market. I opted for the cleaner look of the standard wheel as well and even on other cars, I rarely find myself using those controls, I always just reach for the standard control. Unable to learn new tricks I guess

If you end up really hating the wart, you could always have a body shop remove/repair and then repaint that part of the car. Perhaps it would be possible to source another truck lid without it but both of these options would be expensive, perhaps hurt resale and in a few months, maybe you don't notice the wart anymore.
Good advice. I did immediately wonder if I could just source a lid perhaps already in the same color and just swap it and keep the original for resale, but that seems ridiculously expensive to get rid of that wart.

That part of the car looks so clean and, in my opinion, defines the Spyder vs. the other Boxsters. I just can't understand the thinking of sticking that thing on there.

It reminds me a little of examples like the late 80s lambo or the ~1973 911 where they added front bumpers pieces that messed with the lines of the car. At least in those cases, there was a government regulation that forced it. Here it is just for friggin satellite radio.
The following 2 users liked this post by 993TurboS:
Jeff Jones (02-08-2021), Jim Rockford (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 04:42 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Regarding the sat wart...once you have your car you won’t notice it.
The following 8 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
AlexCeres (02-08-2021), Balloonmeister (02-10-2021), Dr.Bill (08-05-2022), FRIZ (02-08-2021), NeilF (03-28-2021), rooster17 (02-08-2021), vrae2009 (08-09-2022), Zeus993 (02-08-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2021 | 04:44 PM
Slippery Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
  1. Bump is an antenna for satellite radio which is present on North American cars.
  2. They are offered with CarPlay but not Android Auto. There are aftermarket hacks to add Android Auto but I have no experience with them. I suggest getting the CarPlay option regardless since it's cheap to order and expensive to add later.
  3. Steering wheel buttons are optional on Spyder (included if you spec heated steering wheel). I prefer the default look without the buttons. The drive mode **** doesn't exist on the GT cars because they don't have drive modes. You can just configure individual things like suspension, auto start/stop, exhaust, auto blip, and traction control independently.
I thought I read somewhere that the standard radio does not have satellite radio and therefore would not get the wart (only Bose and Burmester get it added). Is that incorrect?
Old 02-08-2021 | 06:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This.
Old 02-08-2021 | 06:37 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
Great answers, thanks.

What a terrible decision by Porsche to put that bump there without an option to remove it. I don't even want satellite radio and that stupid bump will always drive me up the wall. If it had some valuable purpose I guess I could live with it, or if I wanted the Satellite radio, but as it is I'm really bothered by it. Even if it was added on because they thought it made the car look better like a racing stripe or a functionless fin I would accept it more. But it is just ugly and useless. I still love the car, but wow.

It sounds like you are a real expert, but I am also hoping that there is some small chance that your info is not right. I am sure it is, but I wish it wasn't.

Thanks again.
Don't get me started. And yes, unfortunately, Wiz's info is correct in full.
Old 02-08-2021 | 06:40 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I respect your opinion fully but my opinion is in staunch disagreement. That panel in particular is such a beautiful body panel on the Spyder, that lump is a tragedy, and one that I notice every single time I look at the car. Although still egregious, it's less of an issue on the GT4. Overall it's not a reason to not buy a Spyder or GT4, but to me it is undeniably revolting.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
JAhmed (02-08-2021), Jeff Jones (02-08-2021), theEnd (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:10 PM
PAJ
Rennlist Member

To clarify a bit on your third question regarding the "afterthought" dial/button hanging from the steering wheel - the dial is for selecting drive mode (sport, sport+ and individual). It is part of the sport chrono package that comes standard on the GTS, and is an option on base and S cars. The sport response button on the center of the dial only comes on PDK cars - I believe it gives 20 seconds of "max performance" no matter the drive mode currently selected. The GT4 and Spyder in manual do not have drive mode options (sport+ all the time!). The PDK GT4 and Spyder (I believe) have a "PDK Sport" button in place of the "Auto Blip" button on the center console.

I get the comments on the wart, but I wouldn't kick Margot Robbie out of bed because she had a zit on her behind!

My advice: get that beautiful Spyder and enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:12 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PAJ
I get the comments on the wart, but I wouldn't kick Margot Robbie out of bed because she had a zit on her behind!
Bingo, this is exactly how I feel about it.
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I respect your opinion fully but my opinion is in staunch disagreement. That panel in particular is such a beautiful body panel on the Spyder, that lump is a tragedy, and one that I notice every single time I look at the car. Although still egregious, it's less of an issue on the GT4. Overall it's not a reason to not buy a Spyder or GT4, but to me it is undeniably revolting.
Dude, no need to get triggered over the sat wart...lol. I imagine topics like sofas, PDK, or PCCBs drive you into cardiac arrest.

Now get off my lawn...haha.
JohnC4S (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:35 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to start WW3. I don't think anyone likes that wart. The only question is how bad it is or whether you can get used to it and ultimately not care about it. It is just unfortunate on such a nearly perfect car to do that, when it is not even a compromise for something else that the car needs.

As for the drive mode, I'm glad that the Spyder and GT4 don't have that issue, because that little projection sitting there staring at me while I am driving would make me nuts.

I'm still doing my research and haven't decided. this slot in my garage was a 964, then a PTS 997TTS, then a AMG GT C, and is now empty. I miss the 964. The 997TTS was great, but I never drove it because it was green (!!) and I enjoy my 993TTS more. The AMG GT C was just a mistake. Car is beautiful and fast, but not at all enjoyable to me and the tech drove be nuts as well as the rear wheel steering. The boxster would be my first drop top, so perhaps it'll fill a void that the others couldn't. Plus, I need a car to autocross or take to the track on occasion.

Last edited by 993TurboS; 02-08-2021 at 07:37 PM.
catdog2 (10-20-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:47 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

OP, I agree with you
I had the wart removed on my car, as well as the third brake light. Car looks much cleaner to me IMO. Car is a keeper for me so the cost and permanent nature of the mods didn't bother me. I encourage you to make the car exactly how you like it if you plan to keep it as well.
The following 7 users liked this post by JAhmed:
DFW01TT (02-09-2021), halfmonkey (02-09-2021), Jeff Jones (02-08-2021), Jim Rockford (02-08-2021), Ramon Vennik (08-06-2022), SpeedySpidey (02-08-2021), theEnd (02-09-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Questions about Spyder before buying