Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best Track Time in a 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 10:20 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by cgeld
Hi Montaver,
Very impressive lap at the Glen! My favorite track. I’m running 2021 gt4 pdk some suspension mods and have managed 2:09 at the Glen, so great driving to you. I see that you are running with Kline OAP’s. Wondering if they are wrapped/insulated and if not do you believe this to be problem tracking? I’ve recently installed the Kline inconel unwrapped OAP’s and back box on my car and love it but have concerns about heat when tracking.
I’ll be at the Glen this summer in August with the PCA North East Region for three days. Thx, have a great day!
Thank you sir! Me too, I love WGI it has such a good flow. 2:09 is a solid time, nice work.

My OAP's are heat shielded, it was an extra $600 from Kline. In my opinion heat shielding is good to have for a tracked car, although I have friends with Soul OAPS (and catless) that are not heat shielded and they have yet to encounter issues. Heat kills components over time (dampers, bearings etc.) so its not necessarily immediately obvious. There is no downside to having more heat protection. You could also send your OAP's to Jethot, its also around $600. This is what my heat shielding looked like after 500 miles and 2 sessions on track, next time its on the lift after a few more miles I can get some more shots.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:23 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Turned a 1:23.8 today CCW at H2R. There are better times than me, but that's getting pretty decent. Started playing with a little more slip angle. May or may not post up a vid because I keep them private, but have AIM traces. Mods: 265/35, 305/30 19RT660 with about 12 heat cycles, aggressive alignment, a little more aero than usual, and headers. TCS off, mostly because I don't like the throttle stutter on a bumpy track.
The following 2 users liked this post by enduro:
jwr9152 (04-28-2023), paffinity (05-16-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 06:52 PM
cgeld
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feed back, I bought my Kline from supreme power and they and Kline claim you don’t need the heat shielding but I’m having second thoughts. Supreme power is in the process of doing some infrared comparisons on both heatshielded and non shielded to see the variation in tempertures. Waiting to see that comparison but haven’t to date.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 812 Likes on 465 Posts

So the 2023 One Lap of America is in the history books and a stock GT4 finished 11th behind some heavy hitter Factory Team and Pro drivers. We were ~ 100 hp less than the next most powerful car and it went up from there. I was a little bummed that we were the only GT4 entered though. It was fun when people asked what we had done to the car and the answer was alignment and rear toe links. Tires were 245/285 19" RE-71RS and a couple of decent but not great drivers.

Results https://www.onelapofamerica.com/even....do?eventId=44

Morning session at NCM with Steven driving it was wet. We were in the 2nd run group and managed to hit 124mph on the front straight. Our friends and 2nd overall in the Supra had atop speed of 88 mph on the front straight in the 1st run group so they helped dry off the track a little for us.

The 1st TT session at Nelson Ledges which sets the seeding for the rest of the event I was driving and managed to knock ~ 1 sec from my previous best just a month ago. Was slow into turn 1 on the 1st hot lap and slow through the Kink, with some more time and some bigger man bearings I expect I would be ~115 mph Vmin.

PS The last few seconds of the video is NSFW or Kiddo's

NCM wet session

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
NelsonFastLap .pdf (3.06 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by 85Gold; 05-15-2023 at 05:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 85Gold:
BIG SURPRISE (05-17-2023), DFW01TT (05-17-2023), EXFIB (08-24-2023), UncleDude (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:15 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
So the 2023 One Lap of America is in the history books and a stock GT4 finished 11th behind some heavy hitter Factory Team and Pro drivers. We were ~ 100 hp less than the next most powerful car and it went up from there. I was a little bummed that we were the only GT4 entered though. It was fun when people asked what we had done to the car and the answer was alignment and rear toe links. Tires were 245/285 19" RE-71RS and a couple of decent but not great drivers.

Results https://www.onelapofamerica.com/even....do?eventId=44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j7rn4MxIk

Morning session at NCM with Steven driving it was wet. We were in the 2nd run group and managed to hit 124mph on the front straight. Our friends and 2nd overall in the Supra had atop speed of 88 mph on the front straight in the 1st run group so they helped dry off the track a little for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-o69WNjpkY

The 1st TT session at Nelson Ledges which sets the seeding for the rest of the event I was driving and managed to knock ~ 1 sec from my previous best just a month ago. Was slow into turn 1 on the 1st hot lap and slow through the Kink, with some more time and some bigger man bearings I expect I would be ~115 mph Vmin.

PS The last few seconds of the video is NSFW or Kiddo's

NCM wet session

Peter
You guys did so great. I watched Steve's video in Feaux Rouge and it was so sketchy.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwr9152
You guys did so great. I watched Steve's video in Feaux Rouge and it was so sketchy.
I watched It also and after seeing turn 3 I would have pitted and said no way.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
jwr9152 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 10:22 PM
paffinity
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

COTA
2:23.02
Hoosier R7 (265/315r19)
RE10

First time trying out Hoosiers and found that they truly are purple crack.
This lap was from the first hot session of the day after a short break due to black flag. Came in at 40psi.
Without traffic this should have been a mid 2:22 easy.

I know that I can get down to 2:20 or less but unfortunately I had an incident the session after lunch, the driver side LCA came apart and the thrust arm broke.
This happened at T1 braking zone, so I basically went straight and right towards the wall, luckily no major impact, nor does it look that bad (besides the wheel well).
It appears that the LCA nuts backed off and eventually fell/broke off, causing the LCA to twist and the thrust arm to split in half.
Unfortunately the estimate not looking so great from the dealer, so this is likely my last event with this car.

What I hate most is that I took the car to be inspected by the dealer (Austin) and of course they passed me without any complaints. After having the car towed to dealer they tell me that they don't check or even inspect suspension unless the tech sheet calls out for it.
I normally self tech, but I while doing an oil change I noticed some leakage around coolant lines that should be inspected, so I thought let's do a full tech inspection by them. I had expected the dealer to be thorough and for what they charged (>$250) I saw little to no time spent on the actual tech inspection. Our local dealer has windows into the service bays, so I saw what they were doing and they never took off wheels or anything beyond visual inspection from 10ft (besides tires and brakes, easy stuff).
If they had inspected the LCA nuts, they would have most likely found them loose and would have tightened them. When I mentioned this, they said a full nut and bolt check would run $3000...

What do you guys do for tech inspections? Self tech? Or are you trusting that your dealer or shop is looking out for your best interest?
I know there are a few folks in Austin here. Just a warning, do not trust the dealer to inspect your car for potential failures nor for them to take ownership of said failures after their inspection.
The following 4 users liked this post by paffinity:
008 (05-16-2023), DFW01TT (05-17-2023), enduro (05-17-2023), Mavzyx (05-17-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 10:57 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I’ve always done my own inspection, but until recently I’ve been driving the same car for 24 years. I’ve developed a pretty good feel for what tends to loosen, and check those points regularly. I’m relatively new to the GT4, so I’m still on that learning curve. Which bolts, specifically, are the culprits? The two small bolts where the alignment shims go?
Old 05-16-2023, 11:19 PM
paffinity
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
I’ve always done my own inspection, but until recently I’ve been driving the same car for 24 years. I’ve developed a pretty good feel for what tends to loosen, and check those points regularly. I’m relatively new to the GT4, so I’m still on that learning curve. Which bolts, specifically, are the culprits? The two small bolts where the alignment shims go?
Yes the nuts holding the LCA to the end piece.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:58 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paffinity
COTA
Hoosier R7 (265/315r19)
RE10
https://youtu.be/qUvn3LT0vKQ

First time trying out Hoosiers and found that they truly are purple crack.
This lap was from the first hot session of the day after a short break due to black flag. Came in at 40psi.
Without traffic this should have been a mid 2:22 easy.

I know that I can get down to 2:20 or less but unfortunately I had an incident the session after lunch, the driver side LCA came apart and the thrust arm broke.
This happened at T1 braking zone, so I basically went straight and right towards the wall, luckily no major impact, nor does it look that bad (besides the wheel well).
It appears that the LCA nuts backed off and eventually fell/broke off, causing the LCA to twist and the thrust arm to split in half.
Unfortunately the estimate not looking so great from the dealer, so this is likely my last event with this car.

What I hate most is that I took the car to be inspected by the dealer (Austin) and of course they passed me without any complaints. After having the car towed to dealer they tell me that they don't check or even inspect suspension unless the tech sheet calls out for it.
I normally self tech, but I while doing an oil change I noticed some leakage around coolant lines that should be inspected, so I thought let's do a full tech inspection by them. I had expected the dealer to be thorough and for what they charged (>$250) I saw little to no time spent on the actual tech inspection. Our local dealer has windows into the service bays, so I saw what they were doing and they never took off wheels or anything beyond visual inspection from 10ft (besides tires and brakes, easy stuff).
If they had inspected the LCA nuts, they would have most likely found them loose and would have tightened them. When I mentioned this, they said a full nut and bolt check would run $3000...

What do you guys do for tech inspections? Self tech? Or are you trusting that your dealer or shop is looking out for your best interest?
I know there are a few folks in Austin here. Just a warning, do not trust the dealer to inspect your car for potential failures nor for them to take ownership of said failures after their inspection.
Nice lap, COTA looks bumpy as hell these days. I was there for the F1 in 2019 but never had the chance to drive it.

Hoosiers just feel so good under braking especially, its rare I get to drive on them though so never get fully addicted

That's bad luck, never heard of that LCA bolt backing loose. My sway bars start coming lose occasionally and they start clicking. I normally ask my shop just to check the main suspension bolts every couple of weekends, was thinking of asking them to mark everything as that will make it obvious even at a glance if things are moving. Don't give up on the car!
Old 05-17-2023, 12:51 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by paffinity
COTA
Hoosier R7 (265/315r19)
RE10
Nice lap! It looks like fun when there's so little traffic.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Paint pen all your suspension bolts, you can thank me later.

Peter
DFW01TT (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 02:25 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Just checked mine, all good. I noticed that the race shop that did my initial setup also installed jam nuts on those bolts, so evidently they have seen it happen before.
paffinity (05-17-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 10:43 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

What's up my fellow track hounds. Splendid Thursday no where near an office, dialing in the setup on my MCS turning some casual laps in very friendly conditions... then I randomly noticed a rip on my right front tire which was showing cords. I mused this was the universe sending me a message that I should probably call it a day. Meant I didn't get as much running as I should of, so this was the best I got. One thing I did notice was with these changed tire diameters the PSM is annoying as hell, really over zealous particularly the TC. I used to run everything off in my BMW's, but always found the PSM completely un-intrusive so never wanted to turn it off. This no longer appears to be the case. Anyway, here's the lap. I'd give this lap a C+ - room for improvement everywhere. but its about the journey not the destination as they say.

NJMP Thunderbolt - 1:28.4
MCS 2WR
265/305 RT660 on 9/10.5 Apex VS5-RS
Ferodo DS3.12 / Girodisc Rotors
Kline SS OAP + Muffler

Last edited by Montaver; 05-18-2023 at 10:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Montaver:
DFW01TT (05-19-2023), FAhmed (07-31-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 12:55 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
What's up my fellow track hounds. Splendid Thursday no where near an office, dialing in the setup on my MCS turning some casual laps in very friendly conditions... then I randomly noticed a rip on my right front tire which was showing cords. I mused this was the universe sending me a message that I should probably call it a day. Meant I didn't get as much running as I should of, so this was the best I got. One thing I did notice was with these changed tire diameters the PSM is annoying as hell, really over zealous particularly the TC. I used to run everything off in my BMW's, but always found the PSM completely un-intrusive so never wanted to turn it off. This no longer appears to be the case. Anyway, here's the lap. I'd give this lap a C+ - room for improvement everywhere. but its about the journey not the destination as they say.

NJMP Thunderbolt - 1:28.4
MCS 2WR
265/305 RT660 on 9/10.5 Apex VS5-RS
Ferodo DS3.12 / Girodisc Rotors
Kline SS OAP + Muffler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJnBpZSTXc

You bring up a very good point and one that isn't often discussed when people move from OEM tire sizes. Maybe it's because those that do make that change are running with things all OFF, but this is one of the reasons I do not like to veer from stock when it comes to tire sizes, spacers, etc. The systems are highly calibrated.

What did you find and change on your MCS set-up? Did you up your clicks? I was trying to watch how your car reacted to bumps, but that track looked pretty smooth, so there wasn't a lot of movement.

I was thinking about it and we are probably very close to each other on the bump side since you are running higher canister pressures but lower clicks, and I am running lower pressures but higher clicks. Where I think are set-ups differ the most is on the rebound side.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-19-2023 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Track Time in a 718 GT4