Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 07:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I raced an RS for fun but i cant post the video. Its not dramatically faster even against a stock 718 in a straight line. On a curve though it would be on rails and the spyder would end up in a ditch 100%
Are you sure about that because the difference is large

due to gearing, torque and accelerative force at the contact patch

The demolition is large and round a track........................its not close because the corner exit speed difference magnifies the accelerative differences, so on a 1:30 type track your are looking at 6s difference between a well driven RS and a well driven 718 GT4

Last edited by groundhog; 04-04-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Are you sure about that because the difference is large

due to gearing, torque and accelerative force at the contact patch

The demolition is large and round a track........................its not close because the corner exit speed difference magnifies the accelerative differences, so on a 1:30 type track your are looking at 6s difference between a well driven RS and a well driven 718 GT4
I agree track is no comparison. Rs will destroy almost anything thats not a full blown race car. Im talking for what 95% of people may see in street driving, which is not the intended purpose of the RS. But its interesting how close they are for a single pull until the numbers go really high. The RS costs double for a reason and its worth it.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:21 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 598 Posts

Nowhere near that gap on most tracks I would say. Both cars on (non-R) Cup 2 tires my 718 GT4 was +3.5 seconds to the 991.2 RS on a very long 2m20+ track with a favorable layout for the 911. Manual GT4, too.

I estimate +2.5s on my local 1m55 track which has a slower and more technical infield section. On this track my 981 PDK on slicks was 1.5s faster than any 991 RS on cups even with its smaller 360 HP 3.4L engine. 3 seconds+ ahead now with the tuned 3.8L.

The gap is largest on the Nurburgring where you need both power and rear stability over the bumps, can't touch a 911 there.
The following users liked this post:
K-Nut (04-10-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Sure .......its not close

I really like the Cayman platform and own a 981 GTS and 991.2 GT3 RS ..............so I have no dog in this "fight"

When I say not close, I mean a vast gulf.........the reality is the GT4/Spyder doesn't have a lot of torque across the whole torque curve - its a major deficiency along with struts front and rear - the combination of the two has significant repercussions for overall performance. Thats the straight truth.

You are a long way off beam - just have a look at the track times.

No one thinks its close, honestly they don't. Its been proven at a gazillion club events around the world and no one uses the GT4 beyond that level.

PS I was inline for a GT4 - thinking Porsche would have upped the torque and gone to multilink at the rear plus PDK on release..................that never happened, cancelled my order. Very disappointed with a platform with so much to offer yet delivering so little (relative to expectations).

I don't want to rain on your parade but BS is just that BS - I'll butt out from here on in.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-04-2021 at 10:41 AM.
mr965 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Sure .......its not close

I really like the Cayman platform and own a 981 GTS and 991.2 GT3 RS ..............

When I say not close, I mean a vast gulf.........the reality is the GT4/Spyder doesn't have a lot of torque across the whole torque curve - its a major deficiency along with struts front and rear - the combination of the two has significant repercussions for overall performance. Thats the straight truth.

No one thinks its close, honestly they don't. Its been proven at a gazillion club events around the world and no one uses the GT4 beyond that level.

PS I was inline for a GT4 - thinking Porsche would have upped the torque and gone to multilink at the rear plus PDK on release..................that never happened, cancelled my order. Very disappointed with a platform with so much to offer yet delivering so little (relative to expectations).
ok im getting this back on track its not about the RS. The RS is the best ok? Dunzo
Old 04-04-2021, 10:35 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Ok this is with stock air filters BC Fabs inconel rear pipe only. This makes some power. About as fast as my 991.2 carrera T with stage 2 giac tune.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:41 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

If you do precisely that you'll see nothing like 6s on a 1m30 lap. It's about half that. Which is considerable, but not a stupid amount.

What "level"? There's no competition between two different classes of road car. You drive whatever you want to drive (or what your ego is comfortable with) and all GT cars feel well at home on track. If you want competition nobody uses a GT3 RS either you get a clubsport or cup car etc. end of story. Road cars are not race cars.

In a club/amateur setting the performance differences between different drivers are a lot bigger than there is between the cars anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCviggen:
AZWCat (04-14-2021), Haros (05-08-2021), K-Nut (04-10-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:46 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 409 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Ok this is with stock air filters BC Fabs inconel rear pipe only. This makes some power. About as fast as my 991.2 carrera T with stage 2 giac tune.
Takes about 125Miles/200KM for ECU adaptation?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by JCviggen
If you do precisely that you'll see nothing like 6s on a 1m30 lap. It's about half that. Which is considerable, but not a stupid amount.

What "level"? There's no competition between two different classes of road car. You drive whatever you want to drive (or what your ego is comfortable with) and all GT cars feel well at home on track. If you want competition nobody uses a GT3 RS either you get a clubsport or cup car etc. end of story. Road cars are not race cars.

In a club/amateur setting the performance differences between different drivers are a lot bigger than there is between the cars anyway.
Clubsports are also considered a big disappointment - Cup cars are OK solely for track in specific but limited comp (although entertaining). Theres a whole world of motorsport out there whereby a car is only eligible if it was able to be road registered in the first instance........

You can blather all you like, but you are waaaaaay off beam and its easy to prove

Left time GT4 right RS

Nürburgring - 7:32.00 6:56.40

VIR - 2:50.31 2:41.60

Road Atlanta - 1:32.24 1:26.24

Assen - 2:00.11 1:49.23

Sachsenring - 1:31.51 1:26.39

Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours GP - 1:54.95 1:50.36

Mendig AFB Circuit - 1:50.98 1:43.96

Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Club - 1:20.11 1:17.68

NCM Motorsports Park Grand Full - 2:13.21 2:04.34

Vairano Handling Course -1:13.95 1:11.73

Pretty much in line with what I have personally observed and attempted to convey to you.

Obviously you can believe what you want to believe.

Anyhow, I'll butt out and leave you to it. The numbers don't lie.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:26 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Hate to break it to you but a lot of fastestlaps.com data is garbage. First one I clicked on was a magazine testing readers' cars with them in the passenger seat.

A lot of the others have the RS on the Cup 2 R tire which completely skews the comparison.

But this is indeed a pointless argument - reminiscent of the average discussion in the YouTube comments section - and it would be nice to see some more on topic Dragy results.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TDT
Takes about 125Miles/200KM for ECU adaptation?
yeah prob around there. Depends how hard u drive it
Old 04-04-2021, 11:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Hate to break it to you but a lot of fastestlaps.com data is garbage. First one I clicked on was a magazine testing readers' cars with them in the passenger seat.

A lot of the others have the RS on the Cup 2 R tire which completely skews the comparison.

But this is indeed a pointless argument - reminiscent of the average discussion in the YouTube comments section - and it would be nice to see some more on topic Dragy results.
lol a lot more relevant than anything you have put up - lol. Those were just obvious examples.

Take your car to a track and stop being a dick and racing on public roads.

Join a club and start doing it safely. Don’t be that Porsche driver that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Go to a track, get a race licence - compete - suggest you don’t do it in a spyder get a car that can support a FIA compliant cage.

Maybe you’ll learn something.

I know you’re trying to have fun but there are ways and means to achieve this.

Enjoy your spyder.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-04-2021 at 11:49 AM.
mr965 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

From dundon whiskey friday. This is catted headers only stock muffler pro racing driver. Manual

Old 04-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Anyone break into the 8’s yet? With bolt ons, or tunes, or both?
POSTEM UP !!!!!
Old 04-10-2021, 06:56 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 213 Likes on 95 Posts

lol a lot more relevant than anything you have put up - lol. Those were just obvious examples.

Take your car to a track and stop being a dick and racing on public roads.

Join a club and start doing it safely. Don’t be that Porsche driver that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Go to a track, get a race licence - compete - suggest you don’t do it in a spyder get a car that can support a FIA compliant cage.

Maybe you’ll learn something.

I know you’re trying to have fun but there are ways and means to achieve this.

Enjoy your spyder.
no reason to be upset, Spyder is made not for track, it’s made to go a bit faster than speed limit with open top and enjoy driving.
track is different story , it takes a lot of ***** to do it , there guys with old 911 going mind bending fast !!!!!!
i can not do it ☹️
RS is a different animal, I drove it and it blew my mind , there is no comparison to GT4 or Spyder , on the back roads it’s a pleasure to drive either one of them , it’s just Spyder or GT4 is easier to get to the limits vs RS you need a lot more road to find it’s limits
both cars are superior !!!!
enjoy all of them !!!!

Quick Reply: Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718?