Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 05:43 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
This is quite an amusing argument considering we are talking about driving in a straight line for about 8 seconds at a time.
Well, about 7 in our case

As mentioned previously far more happy with our 2:15 lap time but that doesn’t mean much to many so straight lines it is

JC

Last edited by JCR-Porsche; 04-17-2021 at 05:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
JAhmed (04-17-2021), kj71109 (04-17-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

Was looking at a couple recent runs, This 60-130 is a bit faster will update the board.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 610 Posts

Not entirely on topic perhaps, but an interesting video on YT today by the German tuner mcchip. They did a stage 1 GT4 last year (didn't gain much, about 12 HP or so IIRC) and now they've done a stage 2 with a full exhaust from Friedrich on it.

The exhaust basically moves the cats to where the OPFs are like the other solutions, but looks sub-optimal for the rest. Some power left behind but unlikely to be huge amounts. https://friedrich-pm.com/cars/porsch...xster-gts-4-0/

Stock car dyno'd 434 crank PS (428 HP) on their dyno which may be a tad high - they don't use a particularly accurate one. Exhaust + software bumped that to 466 PS. So +32.

It really doesn't seem that software does all that much on these cars, which would be good news I suppose, but then there is a significant gain to be had by moving the rev limiter a couple hundred RPM higher and accessing more of the power band. Slightly annoying to void a warranty for that.

They also do before and after 100-200 runs but the stretch of autobahn they use isn't very "fast" and they have a big camera dude riding shotgun which slows things down as well. So the numbers are relative.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:26 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 920 Posts

Not entirely on topic perhaps, but an interesting video on YT today by the German tuner mcchip. They did a stage 1 GT4 last year (didn't gain much, about 12 HP or so IIRC) and now they've done a stage 2 with a full exhaust from Friedrich on it.

The exhaust basically moves the cats to where the OPFs are like the other solutions, but looks sub-optimal for the rest. Some power left behind but unlikely to be huge amounts. https://friedrich-pm.com/cars/porsch...xster-gts-4-0/

Stock car dyno'd 434 crank PS (428 HP) on their dyno which may be a tad high - they don't use a particularly accurate one. Exhaust + software bumped that to 466 PS. So +32.

It really doesn't seem that software does all that much on these cars, which would be good news I suppose, but then there is a significant gain to be had by moving the rev limiter a couple hundred RPM higher and accessing more of the power band. Slightly annoying to void a warranty for that.

They also do before and after 100-200 runs but the stretch of autobahn they use isn't very "fast" and they have a big camera dude riding shotgun which slows things down as well. So the numbers are relative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ahO9DOgDpc
Yes....so far I haven't see a good dyno for a Flash Tune alone.
Most of the ones I have seen are done with the usual exhaust mods and even then the gains are not that great.
Now, one thing a flash may be able to help is to make sure whatever power you make you get that power or most of it on most conditions.
Too bad COBB hasn't been able to develop the AP for the 718....
Old 04-19-2021, 03:51 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Yes....so far I haven't see a good dyno for a Flash Tune alone.
Most of the ones I have seen are done with the usual exhaust mods and even then the gains are not that great.
Now, one thing a flash may be able to help is to make sure whatever power you make you get that power or most of it on most conditions.
Too bad COBB hasn't been able to develop the AP for the 718....
The car has super aggressive maps built in. Thats how all these systems make
power. I completely agree that a tune will let you access these higher fuel trims in a broader range of environmental conditions. And on track
Old 04-19-2021, 04:01 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

I suppose another way of looking at it is that you don't need as many mods as on the 981 to get a similar result. The 981 was fundamentally restricted with an undersized throttle body, whereas you don't need to touch anything on the 718 (unless the RS version comes out with some kind of trick plenum setup) and its ECU (Bosch this time instead of the old Siemens) seems to be more adaptive.

Doing "everything" on a 3.8 981 gave you about 440 PS, the same HP/L for the 4.0 gets you halfway through the 460s which is what they seem to be doing with nothing but a good exhaust setup.

So it's a heck of a lot more convenient to unlock some power. With fewer handicaps out of the box I'm not sure there's a lot more power in it though, unless you ask DeMan nicely to punch another half liter of displacement out of the block.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:37 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I suppose another way of looking at it is that you don't need as many mods as on the 981 to get a similar result. The 981 was fundamentally restricted with an undersized throttle body, whereas you don't need to touch anything on the 718 (unless the RS version comes out with some kind of trick plenum setup) and its ECU (Bosch this time instead of the old Siemens) seems to be more adaptive.

Doing "everything" on a 3.8 981 gave you about 440 PS, the same HP/L for the 4.0 gets you halfway through the 460s which is what they seem to be doing with nothing but a good exhaust setup.

So it's a heck of a lot more convenient to unlock some power. With fewer handicaps out of the box I'm not sure there's a lot more power in it though, unless you ask DeMan nicely to punch another half liter of displacement out of the block.
Full enchilada with intakes and tune im expecting close to 500 on this 4.0. Punching the motor and swapping ratios these are gonna be insane, completely traction limited. That said a really good driver can easily beat me in a much less powerful car on a circuit.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Full enchilada with intakes and tune im expecting close to 500 on this 4.0.
I don't think there is much to be found on the intake side, they made things big enough this time around. Stuff like the window intakes that the RS is getting won't boost power it will just keep that power better on track where the intake temps start to soar due to hot radiator air getting into the side scoops.
The following users liked this post:
TDT (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I don't think there is much to be found on the intake side, they made things big enough this time around. Stuff like the window intakes that the RS is getting won't boost power it will just keep that power better on track where the intake temps start to soar due to hot radiator air getting into the side scoops.
theres only 1 way to find out.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:47 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
Don't worry its me driving my own spyder with JCR parts fitted. i've a dragy on the way and should be with me tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can get out Monday and post you some times.
Were you able to grab some times? Saw you guys made it out to the track on insta. The crayola group shots looked epic btw, amazing group of cars!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:24 AM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Were you able to grab some times? Saw you guys made it out to the track on insta. The crayola group shots looked epic btw, amazing group of cars!
Unfortunately went to go out and found no pressure in my rear left tyre and just wasn't safe to go out in the car incase of a blow out etc..... Ended up having to get it towed home and drive the RS back.

I'm booked again for the 30th at Donington Park so will get some runs in then

Old 04-20-2021, 07:27 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
Unfortunately went to go out and found no pressure in my rear left tyre and just wasn't safe to go out in the car incase of a blow out etc..... Ended up having to get it towed home and drive the RS back.

I'm booked again for the 30th at Donington Park so will get some runs in then

Duuuude that sucks. Sorry. Hopefully you got some fun laps in the RS.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Also was able to do slightly better pulls with some denser air. I dont think theres too much left in it with the stock muffler configuration but 4th gear pulls hard to the moon.

^and a bonus zero slope run

Last edited by Rennolazine; 04-21-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Thinking about this recent Mc chip video. This is crazy... Mc chip got 9.7s 100-200kph stock and 8.7s with the full exhaustpf delete/long tube catted headers and a stage 2 flash. Obviously weight and DA may be at play and the driver was also granny shifting... they couldve ditched the passenger also. 11 months ago the stage 1 testing pegged around 10.1s stock and 9.3s tuned, i think because they had higher DAs. We also have no slope info 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 04-20-2021, 12:06 PM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Duuuude that sucks. Sorry. Hopefully you got some fun laps in the RS.
Luckily a full day in the RS
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (04-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718?