Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Texas Get Together Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 08:40 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Just to clarify, no rooms available at the Hangar Inn???
Old 06-28-2022, 09:52 AM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Just to clarify, no rooms available at the Hangar Inn???
I haven’t checked honestly. They do fill up very quickly. Unfortunately I can’t go this year. I’m just passing on the information since it’s such a fun event.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (06-28-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:50 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

It’s a great event. Wish I could make it this year but already have an obligation that weekend.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:33 PM
rooster17
Pro

Anyone heading out to the COTA cars and coffee this Sunday? I’ll be out there with at least one other.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:31 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Met up with @StormRune @TXshaggy and @incursion today at my local track. For a great first impression, I managed to spin it after only a couple hot laps, but in my defense, my right rear tire had a blowout at 110mph and ~1sec before the braking zone, in a corner where I usually tralbrake pretty good. Turned out I'd picked up a screw on my way in this morning, right at the sidewall, rubbed the sidewall from the inside out. Hope to do it again sometime, and need to meet up with shaggy for beers soon, thanks for the ride incursion, thanks for the lunch stormrune.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:37 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,127 Posts

^^^^ Thanks for the awesome hospitality! Let’s meet up for some cold ones on me!

Storm; thanks for lunch!
Old 07-22-2022, 11:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Adding photos from our day at Harris Hill so no one can say it didn't happen.

@enduro Thank you for hosting TXshaggy and myself for a day that was truly a blast! It was also great to be able to spend some time with the famous @TXshaggy in person.

@incursion It was good to meet you too even without your Porsche. Little did you know what thrills were in store when enduro offered to take you for a spin!

Enduro was easily setting the fastest times and showing the best driving skills of the day. I'm amazed he managed to keep the car on track and prevent any additional damage with that sudden 100 mph+ blowout and spin. Well done! Check out the catastrophic tire failure in that last photo.

I was tickled to be able to set a fairly decent lap time myself for the first time out on that track with a unmodded car with original SC2 tires (1:28.265 with a 109mph top speed)

Last edited by StormRune; 07-23-2022 at 09:22 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by StormRune:
DFW01TT (07-23-2022), GT4man (07-24-2022), Lucent (07-23-2022), Vintage72 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 12:43 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm amazed he (enduro) managed to keep the car on track and prevent any additional damage with that sudden 100 mph+ blowout and spin. Well done! Check out the catastrophic tire failure in that last photo.

Lesson learned from @enduro , I always check my tire pressures, but now I'll be checking tire integrity too.
Good save on your part.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:16 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rooster17
Anyone heading out to the COTA cars and coffee this Sunday? I’ll be out there with at least one other.
Not this time, but just an FYI: You might want to try going early, hopefully the line will be shorter although I can't really say.

I tried to go to the last one. I arrived around an hour after start time and was surprised to discover the line waiting to get in was backed all of the way out to the toll road along 812 and just creeping along. After about 10 minutes and still having a long way to go I decided to bail out. It also appeared that traffic coming from the east had much less of a wait - so many were driving past and looping back around from the east.

I can't say about entering from the north from Elroy Rd but that often tends to be shorter for other COTA events.
Good luck!
rooster17 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:12 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@StormRune A 1:28.3 first time out and not driving it like it's a spec Miata indicates very good skillz, I bet a beer you'd equal or supercede my times very quickly, especially looking at your tires' wear pattern

Also, a lot ppl find CCW more counterintuitive than CW. My PB a bit off the rl record which is 1:23.9 IIRC, (on the old config) but I care too much about my car to drive it that close to the edge... and good chance I'd run out of talent haha. I'll save that for karting for the time being.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:55 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro
Met up with @StormRune @TXshaggy and @incursion today at my local track. For a great first impression, I managed to spin it after only a couple hot laps, but in my defense, my right rear tire had a blowout at 110mph and ~1sec before the braking zone, in a corner where I usually tralbrake pretty good. Turned out I'd picked up a screw on my way in this morning, right at the sidewall, rubbed the sidewall from the inside out. Hope to do it again sometime, and need to meet up with shaggy for beers soon, thanks for the ride incursion, thanks for the lunch stormrune.

How is that track, and who hosts events there? I haven't heard much about it but always looking for places outside of CoTA and MSR Houston to go to.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:59 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune

@enduro Thank you for hosting TXshaggy and myself for a day that was truly a blast! It was also great to be able to spend some time with the famous @TXshaggy in person.

@incursion It was good to meet you too even without your Porsche. Little did you know what thrills were in store when enduro offered to take you for a spin!

Enduro was easily setting the fastest times and showing the best driving skills of the day. I'm amazed he managed to keep the car on track and prevent any additional damage with that sudden 100 mph+ blowout and spin. Well done! Check out the catastrophic tire failure in that last photo.

I was tickled to be able to set a fairly decent lap time myself for the first time out on that track with a unmodded car with original SC2 tires (1:28.265 with a 109mph top speed)

I had a great time even though it was cut short. Next time I'll have my car since I intend to join soon.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:50 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB991
How is that track, and who hosts events there? I haven't heard much about it but always looking for places outside of CoTA and MSR Houston to go to.
Not many events hosted, currently mostly a members' place. I see a few TNIA vids on youtube, but those look way too crowded for my taste, looks like they do have an event coming up in Sept. Best way to experience it is, if you know a member, they can have guests.

I like it a lot for lapping for a few reasons. Easy on the consumables and difficult to hit anything other than acres of grass. Has some elevation change, lots of blind corners where you have to know what's coming. Lots of on camber & off camber medium speed sweepers, increasing, decreasing, and constant radius. For a GT4, only a couple short straights (I don't necessarily like this). It's more about sweepers than about power. A bit bumpy in places but not too bad yet. Mid week, there are very few people on the track so you don't have to deal with unsafe idiots and you can get in a lot of clean laps. IMO biggest thing it's missing are some esses.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB991
Originally Posted by enduro
Not many events hosted, currently mostly a members' place. I see a few TNIA vids on youtube, but those look way too crowded for my taste, looks like they do have an event coming up in Sept. Best way to experience it is, if you know a member, they can have guests.
I like it a lot for lapping for a few reasons. Easy on the consumables and difficult to hit anything other than acres of grass. Has some elevation change, lots of blind corners where you have to know what's coming. Lots of on camber & off camber medium speed sweepers, increasing, decreasing, and constant radius. For a GT4, only a couple short straights (I don't necessarily like this). It's more about sweepers than about power. A bit bumpy in places but not too bad yet. Mid week, there are very few people on the track so you don't have to deal with unsafe idiots and you can get in a lot of clean laps. IMO biggest thing it's missing are some esses.
I thought it was excellent, at least from an infrequent track driver point-of-view. Like enduro says, you really have to memorize the layout since the elevation changes make it tricky to see what's next. The surface is in pretty good condition and you can take lines to deal with the few imperfections without disturbing your experience too much.

I really appreciate the generous space all around the track; not that I plan on running off anywhere but it does make me more comfortable about driving hard when I'm not worrying about hard surfaces nearby. The people at the track were very welcoming and accommodating. All of the drivers were very good t waving past, not that there was very much traffic to deal with. It was a very low pressure day.

I've just posted a YouTube video here showing a side-by-side view of two of my runs so you can get a peek at the track from that. I know I didn't end up taking the best possible lines and could improve my braking zones, form, etc, but all we were after was fun and this was FUN!

Last edited by StormRune; 07-23-2022 at 10:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
enduro (07-24-2022), Lucent (07-23-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:28 PM
rooster17
Pro

Ton of cars at the COTA cars and coffee today. Some interesting and plenty that were not. Couple highlights below.

StormRune (07-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Texas Get Together Thread