Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 06:26 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

I've noticed around 1/3 quart difference in the oil level display if I check immediately after driving hard versus waiting a couple of minutes. My local Porsche dealer told me last week they can't get the C40 oil Porsche recommends and are using an A40 Euro blend for oil changes.

Terry, how are you liking the Pilot Sports now that you can push the car?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:57 PM
Elegant
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful write-up Terry.
I really appreciated the pros and cons aspect of the car.
Sounds as if you have a winner!
Cheers,
Tom
The following 2 users liked this post by Elegant:
jimdillard (03-17-2022), P-car-Vancouver (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

The ride is HARD/JARRING unless your on a really smooth surface.

The Porsche GT4 is a TRACK, RACING car and if anyone will keep that in mind they won't be Disappointed.
Don't get in your minds that it's anything other than the above or your possibly going to instantly HATE your purchase.
Agree on this 100 percent.

BTW, your car seems to ride higher/have more wheel gap than my GT4. Is the suspension all stock?
Old 10-27-2021, 08:55 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

BTW, your car seems to ride higher/have more wheel gap than my GT4. Is the suspension all stock?
He had the dealer raise it.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:31 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchplate
I've noticed around 1/3 quart difference in the oil level display if I check immediately after driving hard versus waiting a couple of minutes.
My local Porsche dealer told me last week they can't get the C40 oil Porsche recommends and are using an A40 Euro blend for oil changes.

Terry, how are you liking the Pilot Sports now that you can push the car?
clutchplate,

Speaking of the Topping-Off of the oil at Porsche Dealership.
I was standing in the Customer Lounge watching it all take place as well as taking the pictures I posted.
I saw Nick (Shop Foreman) hook-up the computer and then wait while it was doing it's thing.
He did go back and looked at the read outs occasionally while the process was taking place.
Then he went to parts and had a quart bottle of oil in his hand.
Once the computer did it's thing Nick then added whatever amount of oil it needed to be full.
He didn't thrown the quart bottle away so my take is it didn't take a quart to top it off.

Well here goes with me attempting to answer to where it makes sense from my end on the PS4S tires.
I'll cover as best I can what I think and observed.
Honestly as you could probably tell from my above post I didn't choose to "Sugar-Coat" what I thought & observed so here we go.
As I said I was hoping that maybe the PS4S tires and the 18-way power seats might possibly quieten the interior noise-level down some from what Rennlist members had said.
Seriously, and this is just now an "Opinion" and nothing more.
I doubt either of those in the GT4 made any noticeable Real-World difference to the cabin noise level.

From a performance prospective which is actually what you asked ???
After the Break-in-Miles I haven't driven it any other than over to Porsche for topping up the oil-level.
But ..............
While doing the break-in-miles I did have times to try out the tires in curves as well as quickly-slowing-down multiple time from higher-speeds of plus 100 MPH.
Also I damn sure can report what my take is on driving with them in the POURING (Yelling) down rain.
I went through standing-water where it threw huge amounts of water to the side of the road.
Thankfully I was observing vehicles in front of me at a distance and saw what was happening with them and the standing-water.
The GT4 held it's on and didn't Skate, Slide, or Move-around under me while going through the standing-water places which were plentiful.
As I continued to put miles on it I did drive it somewhat more aggressively.
One reason was to get the darn break-in-miles done and over-with.
I didn't actually go over 70 MPH steadily because the posted speed-limit was 55 MPH.
However in passing all sorts of different vehicles I definitely went over the 70 MPH multiple times and that's when I realized just how FAST the GT4 really was.
Last trip I passed a Semi tractor-trailer, van & car all in a line.
There was a nice Longggggggggggg straight away and I decided to go for it and see if the GT4 really did have a set of *****.
I Mated-it, Floored-it and I saw the RPM pass the 7,000 RPM and then it was in the next gear and so on.
I knew then this is Truly a Bad-*** "Machine" and I got my Monies-Worth no doubt about it.
I also pulled back over and glanced at the odometer and I was plus 100 MPH still and Super-Quickly approaching the upcoming corner with a Posted 40-45 MPH Caution.
That's one of the times I knew the Hawk-Ceramic Performance brake-pads were the $hit !!!
I was probably at 1,800/1,900 miles and getting towards the end of the trip back.

I'm thinking what you really want to know is how do the PS4S tires do on Super Mountain Runs or like the guys that live in Sunny California and run the Canyons.
Sorry buddy I haven't done anything at all like that.
I am glad I switched from the Cup2 tires to the PS4S tires even though as I said I can't really say if they are Truly-Quieter inside the Cabin as I have no-way to compare the two.
I'm looking for a Much-much longer mileage from the PS4S tires than the Track Cup2 tires.

Originally Posted by Elegant
Beautiful write-up Terry.
I really appreciated the pros and cons aspect of the car.
Sounds as if you have a winner!
Cheers,
Tom
Tom,

Well my Good-Man there's not a lot of comments about my lengthy write-up but I'm not surprised.
As I said in the write-up I did mainly address it to a New Rennlist member or Guest to Rennlist that might be looking to purchase a GT4.
My comments were not made to Disillusion a new prospective owner but simply to say what I observed.
My hope was that I did a good enough and thorough job so that a person looking but hadn't made their final-decision would have a Much-much better idea of what a GT4 actually is on the Street.

As I also said and I'm sure you saw that.
I'm glad I have the GT4 and I will be Enjoying it for I hope a great many years.
And thank-goodness the streets, roads and interstates here are NOT all Messed, screwed-up.

Archimedes,

I did my best on my write-up mainly for a new person considering the GT4.
So they wouldn't purchase it and then all of a sudden find out .............
Damn this is like a Race/Track car not at all what I was thinking it would be.

Your correct my GT4 is a little-bit-higher than a stock GT4.
See Nick's (Shop Foreman) comments on the Service-Invoice.
I actually talked to Nick and he said I raised it Terry to where all the Alignment adjustments were exactly where they are suppose to be.
I was NOT able to do do the 1/4" per your request but it's a little higher to help with it not rubbing so bad going over things on the street.
BTW, I was told by the Service Manager that he had Nick do all the work on my GT4 as Nick is a "Perfectionist".

Originally Posted by sgreer78
He had the dealer raise it.
That's correct see above ^^^

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-31-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:02 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post I'm considering adding the, ANTIGRAVITY Lithium Battery to my 2021 GT4 ...

Next project guys,

I was over on another thread here on Rennlist earlier and it was about a member asking if you could add the "Smoking Package" after your purchase ???
On that thread there were comments and that brought to my attention the following.
Does the Cigarette Lighter Optional 12-Volt accessory plug stay "Active-Continuously" ???

The answer is No it definitely does not see video below I just did as a test after 1-hour.
Below is what I'm currently looking into and have been reading and watching videos about the ANTIGRAVITY Lithium batteries.
There were issues with them on the GT4 in the past but the owner Scott & Chad here on Rennlist.com say that has all but been eliminated, mostly.
It's the mostly I'm concerned about as I don't like Loose-Ends when spending the monies these batteries cost as well as the accessories one should also purchase to have a complete working package.
So, no decision yet but I'm still looking at the possibility ............

If I do go with the ANTIGRAVITY Lithium battery I'll go with Hard-Wiring it for using the CTEK Lithium Charger.

See video below from Matt at Obsessed Garage.

How to Install CTEK Battery Maintainer On 718 GT4 and GT3RS

Jan 20, 2021

I'm looking currently at adding the ANTIGRAVITY

Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h8-rs/

It would be more convenient to me to simply plug the

ANTIGRAVITY CTEK LITHIUM US SMART CHARGER 4.3A

into the cigarette lighter outlet if it was hot continuously without the key having to be on in the accessory position.

https://www.wdlracing.com/products/a...BoCw2UQAvD_BwE

CTEK Comfort Connect Cig Plug

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...ctek-cig-plug/

Porsche testing cigarette lighter 12 volt accessory plug

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-01-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:12 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

Regardless of the video the cigarette lighter/12V outlet in the smokers package AND the one in the passenger footwell BOTH work fine with battery charger.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:21 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT325
Regardless of the video the cigarette lighter/12V outlet in the smokers package AND the one in the passenger footwell BOTH work fine with battery charger.
It's not that they don't work ...............

The issue is they only stay "Active" for like 30-minutes as seen in the above video where I tested for 1-hour.

Terry
Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM
GT325
Pro

I am saying regardless of your video you CAN use a CTEK charger for you battery with either 12V outlet. It works "forever".
Old 11-01-2021, 06:36 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

There is likely a difference between staying active to run devices and being a viable input for a trickle charger. In my 2021 Spyder, both 12v plugs work just fine for trickle charging from my CTEK without any concern for a 30 minute cutoff.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GT325
I am saying regardless of your video you CAN use a CTEK charger for you battery with either 12V outlet. It works "forever".
They didn't work like that in my 981 Spyder or in anyone else's, as this was a topic of much discussion on the forum back then. The one in the footwell will shut off power within 30 minutes of car shutdown and charging would stop. Same issue in my 991 C2S. Had to pigtail straight to the terminals in the frunk on both. Dealer tried recoding, but it did nothing. Haven't tried the GT4 yet.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:45 PM
GT325
Pro

Works/worked fine on 991.1 Carreras, 991.2 GT3 and 718 spyder not sure why yours didn't. I always use footwell except for spyder where I use smokers package.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:48 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
It's not that they don't work ...............

The issue is they only stay "Active" for like 30-minutes as seen in the above video where I tested for 1-hour.

Terry
I think the 12V outlet shuts down after 30 minutes to save the battery in case you left an accessory plugged into the 12V outlet. This helps to limit draining the battery.
Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
There is likely a difference between staying active to run devices and being a viable input for a trickle charger. In my 2021 Spyder, both 12v plugs work just fine for trickle charging from my CTEK without any concern for a 30 minute cutoff.
This.
They didn't work like that in my 981 Spyder or in anyone else's, as this was a topic of much discussion on the forum back then. The one in the footwell will shut off power within 30 minutes of car shutdown and charging would stop. Same issue in my 991 C2S. Had to pigtail straight to the terminals in the frunk on both. Dealer tried recoding, but it did nothing. Haven't tried the GT4 yet.
I have not noticed this to be the case with my '21 Spyder. As a matter of fact, I thought after 30 minutes or so the 12V outlet would completely shut down. During one of my drives, I forgot to plug in the outlet immediately after I turned off the car and came back to it about an hour or 1.5 hours later and plugged in the charger. It seemed to accept the charge. Since this was the first instances of me ever using a battery maintainer, I thought I read somewhere that if you don't plug in a charger within like 2 or 5 minutes of shutting down the car, you had to put the key back in and turn it to at least the accessory on position to reactivate the 12V outlet.

In any case, here are a couple pictures of my set up. For the cigarette adaptor, the connecting piece has a green, yellow, and red light indicator to indicate the charge level of the battery. When I plug in the cig adaptor, it will either show yellow or green and then once I plug in the charger to the wall outlet, if the indicator was showing yellow, it'll go to green in a couple of seconds and then the indicators on the actual charger start going through the process.

For your knowledge, the charge indicators are from plugging in the car since Saturday at about 4:30pm.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 11-01-2021 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:42 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 755 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey

…I thought I read somewhere that if you don't plug in a charger within like 2 or 5 minutes of shutting down the car, you had to put the key back in and turn it to at least the accessory on position to reactivate the 12V outlet.
The very first time I used my charger in my Spyder (I immediately stored it since it was 12/31/20 when I took delivery and snow was in the forecast), the car had been turned off for a period of time (I don’t remember exactly how long).
Anyway, when plugging it into the outlet after connecting to the cig. plug, my Porsche branded Ctek made what sounded like a sparking noise and I got the warning ⚠️
The charger and my Spyder being brand new, I sort of crapped myself.
I immediately looked on RL and found the post that mentioned that you need to do it fairly quickly after turning it off, and that has been what I do now every time I feel it needs a charge.
Once I get the green light, it does continue to accept the trickle until it’s charged and then goes into pulse mode. It takes a good day to charge up when it’s low.
I just set it up 20 minutes ago since I saw this post and knew that it it needed a charge anyway, so I popped some pics.

I know that the cig. lighter will continue to accept the charge, but what I don’t know is what happens if the power goes out and then comes back on?

Yikes, it was pretty low tonight… it was at level one for about 15 minutes.

The cig. lighter is just soooo convenient.

Last edited by SpeedySpidey; 11-01-2021 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Thanks to everyone that took the time to add comments on use of the Cigarette Lighter 12-volt outlet.

Much appreciated ...........

I think if I do go ahead with adding the ANTIGRAVITY Lithium Battery I'll simply order both options for charging it.

(1) To hard-wire it directly to the ANTIGRAVITY Lithium battery.

(2) Optional cigarette lighter 12-volt outlet.

I'll be set then for sure ........

One question I still have is .........
Is there any difference in charging time between using the Hard-Wired direct connection to the ANTIGRAVITY Lithium Battery "Versus" using the Cigarette Lighter 12-Volt outlet ???

Terry

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker