Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022 | 03:44 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Gotcha. Sadly I think that's where we're going to run into a problem. With how high our required numbers are for particulates vs Europe, I'm sure the car would still meet the requirements with a straight pipe in place of the OAPs that come on the car in the US, but that doesn't allow us to call it legal per SCCA rules.

The biggest problem (unless you have one go bad, of course) is that Porsche says the OAP is covered under the emissions warranty. That's what SCCA decided to hang their hat on. Unfortunately, on the GT4 and other 4.0L cars, the entire exhaust is covered under the emissions warranty, so that means we can't replace any part of our exhaust, including the muffler, with an aftermarket piece and run in SS/SSR. :-{

Ron
Can you use their arguments verbatim to protest the entire field at every event for a while to prove your point? Make it clear to the participants what you’re doing of course.
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022 | 04:49 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ace37
Can you use their arguments verbatim to protest the entire field at every event for a while to prove your point? Make it clear to the participants what you’re doing of course.
It wouldn't make many friends in the paddock... but I'd have a hard time not floating it to them if more than one 4.0 car showed up to an event (and had an aftermarket muffler).
Old 02-25-2022 | 04:55 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by ace37
It was well talked about at the National Championships amongst the group of cars/people that were there.

It’ll likely lead to a rule change that won’t go over well, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the SEB change the exhaust rule that starting with “X” model year, no exhaust changes are allowed. It’s a bummer that we’re in this situation, and that the GT4 is the car leading the whole thing. What’s even more of a bummer is that my understanding is the people that started the whole thing were GT3 drivers….

Ron
Old 02-25-2022 | 05:29 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Not that I didn't believe you, Ron... but I asked around and John from Soul PP worked some of his connections and found this:

Screenshot of Page 3 from the MY2021 718 Emissions Parts brochure.
toy4speed (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022 | 05:37 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Not that I didn't believe you, Ron... but I asked around and John from Soul PP worked some of his connections and found this:

Screenshot of Page 3 from the MY2021 718 Emissions Parts brochure.
Believe me, I've tried to find any and every way to prove the legality of replacing the OAP. :-(

I was hopeful that the OAP wasnt covered in the enissions warranty and checked my booklet while at the National Championships in September. That was also when the article about OAPs came out in Excellence Magazine. I really thought I had the smoking gun with that one...

In any case, it's the fact that Porsche says the stock OAP is covered by the emissions warranty that is the final stake against us. It's just extra sucky that the muffler is also covered and therefore not replaceable.

Ron
Old 02-25-2022 | 05:53 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

What's crazy is: this applies to all MY21 718s, based on the warranty documentation.
Old 02-25-2022 | 09:18 PM
Josh_357
Racer

The federal warranty only covers the DME and cats, though.

The warranty that applies to the entire exhaust is only for those states that have stricter regulations. I guess SCCA feels those 14 states are enough to enact a national ruling

https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/air/mobilesources/pages/states.aspx

Last edited by Josh_357; 02-26-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2022 | 08:04 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
The procrastination bug is strong, its been cold and I've not set my MaxJax up yet, maybe next week. When you are retired things don't seem as important as before. Been busy putting my wife's new treadmill together and just finished that chore. But I'll get around to it before too long I hope.

s
At long last I've swapped out the GPF's, installing the OEM units I bought from a fellow RL subscriber. I knocked out the matrix(very easy to do with a hammer and long chisel. It's soft stuff and breaks apart easily) and have been waiting for the opportune time to do the swapped.

Weather was warm today, wife was gone so no interference there,, and I had finally got my MaxJax back in place.. pretty straightforward job,, but why did Porsche need to use 12mm nuts on the rearmost flange, and 13mm on the forward ones? Some of the nuts are difficult to access, and removing the wheels is a must. I was able to do the swap without removing the muffler, I just loosened the hangers enough to give me some play. Lining up the replacement GPF's was a chore by myself, and working over my head took a lot out of me energy-wise, but easy enough. I've run out of gas before putting the wheels back, so no test drive yet. I'll head out and finish in a bit and go for a drive, so report to follow.
slilley (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022 | 10:06 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Okay, I took it for a test drive. It's definitely louder, but not obnoxiously so, and the drone seems almost gone, until I select the sport exhaust, then it comes back. I can live with the extra noise, even on this short drive I was pretty much used to it by the end. Overall, I think it is a succ. And power? Well my butt dyno could tell its up by at least 50 hp! ;-) No detectable difference, but who knows?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
998R (03-30-2022), slilley (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022 | 11:25 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

... why did Porsche need to use 12mm nuts on the rearmost flange, and 13mm on the forward ones?
Germans love doing this, don't know why. I think BMW engineers have a running contest to see how many different sizes they can use on one part.
Old 03-30-2022 | 11:30 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Another German thing: using more parts than necessary. Each cable controlling the exhaust valves is secured to the GPF with two clamps, one is sufficient on each side imo. Of course over engineering is a hallmark of German thought.
MaddMike (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022 | 11:33 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Another German thing: using more parts than necessary. Each cable controlling the exhaust valves is secured to the GPF with two clamps, one is sufficient on each side imo. Of course over engineering is a hallmark of German thought.
Removing the controls on my NineT, I think I counted six different torx sizes when 2 would have sufficed. Why BMW?
Old 03-30-2022 | 05:21 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Doesn’t say much for my sense of humor that I chuckle every time I see this thread title pop up 😂
Old 08-14-2022 | 10:24 PM
718Spyder2021
1st Gear

Hi, great DIY…..I like your sleek lift, what brand it is, and do you like it after using for some time? Looking for a similar i stall in my garage, 10 foot ceilings…..Thanks
Old 09-29-2022 | 12:34 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718Spyder2021
Hi, great DIY…..I like your sleek lift, what brand it is, and do you like it after using for some time? Looking for a similar i stall in my garage, 10 foot ceilings…..Thanks
Hey,

It’s a generic Chinese made life that has been imported and re-branded by Rotary Lifts under their Direct Lift umbrella.

it’s a 9’10” ceiling.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”