Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 07:03 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 92 Posts

Going to do this once mine comes in.

For those that have done the mod, how is everyone liking it still? Any new thoughts?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:47 AM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 92 Posts

Going to give this a shot today, wish my luck, LOL.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:04 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

If it is a 'dummy GPF' - which I am not questioning - then why would Porsche not simply leave the structure empty? I assume it requires more time and resources ($$$) to fill it up with a ceramic matrix, rather than simply leave it empty?

Does the ceramic 'filler' serve a resonator purpose? Based on OP's results, this does seem to be the case.

Regardless, I still do not understand why Porsche would include the ceramic because, as far as I know, everyone in Europe hates having GPFs - they rob the cars of exhaust acoustics. In other words, I am under the impression the GPFs were placed by Porsche ONLY because they were required to include them? If not required in the U.S., then why fill them with ceramic?

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 10:18 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 913 Likes on 365 Posts

Oversimplifying but it's easier to produce one part for everyone than to have several parts depending on the region.

Originally Posted by Avera
If it is a 'dummy GPF' - which I am not questioning - then why would Porsche not simply leave the structure empty? I assume it requires more time and resources ($$$) to fill it up with a ceramic matrix, rather than simply leave it empty?

Does the ceramic 'filler' serve a resonator purpose? Based on OP's results, this does seem to be the case.

Regardless, I still do not understand why Porsche would include the ceramic because, as far as I know, everyone in Europe hates having GPFs - they rob the cars of exhaust acoustics. In other words, I am under the impression the GPFs were placed by Porsche ONLY because they were required to include them? If not required in the U.S., then why fill them with ceramic?

Avera
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:32 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Oversimplifying but it's easier to produce one part for everyone than to have several parts depending on the region.
Yup. One "with" and one "without" becomes two separate parts to track. Two separate manufacturing processes. And manufacturing is always discounted by the quantity of one part. It's cheaper to make 2x the more expensive part, than 2x the parts at half quantity each.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Thank you @TXRubicon and @daaa nope

I understand the structural aspect in terms of having the GPF 'container' vs deleting it completely (as is seen with many aftermarket OAPs)

However, why go the extra step to add ceramic to the GPF container? That entail more resources and money than simply leaving it empty.

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 10:42 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Because that's a different part to track (one "with" and one "without" the ceramic) and a different assembly process. They have to track and know which pipe coming down the line gets the ceramic and fiberglass inserted into the can, and which doesn't. Even assuming it's just a robot that does it all (vs. having to train a human - which would undoubtedly make mistakes) that's extra programming of the machines, etc. And the risk of a mistake... shipping a car that was supposed to have them, but didn't.... especially from VW/Audi/Porsche after the $22bn Dieselgate fine? Would be bad.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Because that's a different part to track (one "with" and one "without" the ceramic) and a different assembly process. They have to track and know which pipe coming down the line gets the ceramic and fiberglass inserted into the can, and which doesn't. Even assuming it's just a robot that does it all (vs. having to train a human - which would undoubtedly make mistakes) that's extra programming of the machines, etc. And the risk of a mistake... shipping a car that was supposed to have them, but didn't.... especially from VW/Audi/Porsche after the $22bn Dieselgate fine? Would be bad.
@daaa nope

Very possible I am missing something here, so bear with me as I try to understand what I am missing. . . .

You indicate Porsche tracks true GPF filters and 'dummy' GPF filters with CERAMIC/FIBERGLASS. I get that. Makes perfect sense.

What I am suggesting is, would it not be simpler and less expensive to track true GPF filters and 'dummy' GPF filters that are EMPTY (NO ceramic/fiberglass filler)?

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 11:06 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

The US parts are only dummy in the sense that there is no sensor on them vs other parts of the world where there is a sensor and they are monitored.

@daaa nope

Very possible I am missing something here, so bear with me as I try to understand what I am missing. . . .

You indicate Porsche tracks true GPF filters and 'dummy' GPF filters with CERAMIC/FIBERGLASS. I get that. Makes perfect sense.

What I am suggesting is, would it not be simpler and less expensive to track true GPF filters and 'dummy' GPF filters that are EMPTY (NO ceramic/fiberglass filler)?

Avera
daaa nope (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

The US parts are only dummy in the sense that there is no sensor on them vs other parts of the world where there is a sensor and they are monitored.
@TXRubicon

Aha!! So that might be the part I have been missing . . . you are saying even the 'true' GPF (e.g., Europe) have the exact same ceramic/fiberglass as the 'dummy' GPF (e.g., U.S. deliveries)? The difference being the presence vs absence of sensors?

If true, then why would people state the European deliveries have their sound muted compared to U.S. deliveries? Is that a fallacy?

Avera
daaa nope (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:14 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

That's correct. The sound should be the same for both regions. The sensor is the significant difference.

@TXRubicon

Aha!! So that might be the part I have been missing . . . you are saying even the 'true' GPF (e.g., Europe) have the exact same ceramic/fiberglass as the 'dummy' GPF (e.g., U.S. deliveries)? The difference being the presence vs absence of sensors?

If true, then why would people state the European deliveries have their sound muted compared to U.S. deliveries? Is that a fallacy?

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 11:22 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

That's correct. The sound should be the same for both regions. The sensor is the significant difference.
Thank you @TXRubicon

I have to tell you, this is quite an eye-opener to me . . .

Universally, across makes and models, it is routinely stated in the usual places (forums, YT, etc) that the European models suffer compromised acoustics BECAUSE of the GPFs.

Based on what you state - and I cannot discredit - it is basically all b.s. . . . I wonder when this started and how it continues to be propagated?

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 01:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts
Default OEM GPF

The monitored and un-monitored GPF are not the same, and there is more than one part number for them, Un-monitored GPF units do not have the active metal coating applied to the ceramic matrix and do not have the sensor mounting in GPF body.

About the only thing you can say is that from an exhaust sound perspective they sound the same.

Example of multiple part numbers:

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-04-2022 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
slilley (11-08-2022), toy4speed (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 01:26 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Thank you @Westcoast

This brings me back to my original question . . .

Why not just leave the U.S. ‘dummy’ GPF canister empty?

Why waste time and resources and unnecessarily ‘muffle’ the exhaust sound with ceramic/fiberglass?

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 01:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Thank you @Westcoast

This brings me back to my original question . . .

Why not just leave the U.S. ‘dummy’ GPF canister empty?

Why waste time and resources and unnecessarily ‘muffle’ the exhaust sound with ceramic/fiberglass?

Avera
So that they sound the same, those pesky You Tube Reviewers don't need anything else to talk down about...

Actually IIRC, it was to make the design and manufacture of the rear muffler section consistent across all markets.
Avera (11-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”