Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 SPASM OR PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 02:47 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks to everyone for your feedback and sharing to help me decide. I also asked my 992 friend that drives SPASM in Boston, and she tipped the scale. I changed my order back to SPASM today and now my build is finalized. My dealer wrote “I approve of this message,” lol.
I’m sure you are going to be happy with your choice.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:33 PM
csklsc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a CGTS 4.0 on order which just entered Emden, it's been a long wait. Ordered PASM and never looked back. I have a relatively steep driveway to clear and have even looked into repaving the driveway entry to re-grade for better SPASM compatibility only to be instructed by the local city hall that any new driveway grading will need to comply with the American with Disabilities Act and have even a steeper angle than present. PASM was therefore an easy choice. 10mm difference or 0.39 inches is not much but I need all the clearance possible with the current driveway. I would have re-paved if it were allowed but I won't move or sell the house over a car.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:48 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by csklsc
I have a CGTS 4.0 on order which just entered Emden, it's been a long wait. Ordered PASM and never looked back. I have a relatively steep driveway to clear and have even looked into repaving the driveway entry to re-grade for better SPASM compatibility only to be instructed by the local city hall that any new driveway grading will need to comply with the American with Disabilities Act and have even a steeper angle than present. PASM was therefore an easy choice. 10mm difference or 0.39 inches is not much but I need all the clearance possible with the current driveway. I would have re-paved if it were allowed but I won't move or sell the house over a car.
My BGTS with SPASM entered Emden on June 25. Do you know which ship you are on yet ?
Old 07-04-2021, 02:26 AM
csklsc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
My BGTS with SPASM entered Emden on June 25. Do you know which ship you are on yet ?
Entered Emden on June 18 and scheduled to depart Emden on July 9. Dealer said once ship departs Emden, they will provide ship tracking information with presumably the ship name. The local entry port here in Northern California is Benicia.

Congrats on your BGTS, delivery getting close.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:10 PM
stelth23
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The pictures on this board worry me. Before I made the SPASM vs PASM decision I went a saw a 2021 CGTS 4.0 with SPASM. The fender gap between the tire was approximately 3/8 - 1/2 an inch ( I was only able to get my pinky finger in-between the tire and fender) which seemed too low to me so I went with PASM. The pictures posted here seem to have a much larger gap then what I saw in person. I am hoping it is just the angle the pictures are taken.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:34 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by csklsc
Entered Emden on June 18 and scheduled to depart Emden on July 9. Dealer said once ship departs Emden, they will provide ship tracking information with presumably the ship name. The local entry port here in Northern California is Benicia.

Congrats on your BGTS, delivery getting close.
I'm confirmed now on the Siem Cicero departing Emden July 9 . Mine will be dropped off in Halifax which is the 1st port of call. Then by train to Vancouver on West Coast of Canada.. Close now!!

Last edited by P-car-Vancouver; 07-07-2021 at 10:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by P-car-Vancouver:
csklsc (07-08-2021), Dan Nagy (07-08-2021), VIDoug (07-08-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 08:33 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just took this photo of a PASM (raised 10mm) BGTS 4.0 for sale. It might be helpful for somebody else.

slilley (07-17-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 PM
buzzlulu
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have PASM on my Boxster GTS 4.0. Quite honestly I do not understand why people are so hung up on the wheel gap. The car looks magnificent. Perhaps people need to disregard the zoomed in photos of just a wheel and look at the entire car.
I know where I live - an hour outside of NYC in the "country" - the condition of our roads make me happy every day that I ordered PASM.
The following 4 users liked this post by buzzlulu:
fantom (07-18-2021), ppsa (05-30-2022), seahack (07-16-2021), slilley (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:27 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I would also argue to make sure you're comparing apples to apples, the GT4 will have a bit bigger tires front and back, so that alone can add an extra cm (0.4"), probably not enough to get hung up over, but given the 265, vs 295 rear, and then adding the extra 10mm ride height... it can be a big difference overall between a GT4 that is 30mm lower stock (of course it can be adjusted with the coilovers) and a GTS 4.0 with PASM that is 10mm lower. it can really skew the pictures. I agree that it isn't enough to view a zoomed-in picture as it doesn't provide enough details when it comes to the hate of the fender gap and what works for others.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:44 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

It’s not just the hate of the gap. True, the stance of the car was part of it for me, but I did a lot of research to get this figured out for what was best for me. For me. From the many professional reviews of the GTS 4.0, SPASM gives a noticeable difference in the handling of the car. Motor Trend goes so far as to say that one shouldn’t worry about a harsh ride as SPASM rides well. Others mention the great handling and compliant ride. Scraping - I live in Delaware, the only flatter country I’ve seen than here is eastern Colorado. Our winter climate in lower Delaware is very mild, so we don’t suffer from potholes and the like.

About the photo. I looked and looked for good close up photos but they were either shaded or too distant to really let me see the wheel gap as I wanted. This one is directly in front of the wheel, close up, with good resolution. Posting that photo really was meant to help somebody in their decision process. There are plenty of additional photos to be found of PASM and SPASM cars from a distance.

For me, when I look at a photo like that, it tells me that there should be enough wheel travel in a SPASM equipped car to give a decent ride. In the end, I’m not sure what my concern was as many of my old sports cars rode like a brick. This BGTS would look like an SUV next to my Spitfire 4, so guess it’s all relative.

One more thing; my 991.2 and 992 were both PASM equipped, but the 992 actually felt softer than my 991.2. I was advised to get SPASM when I built my 992 and wish that I had in that car. I rode all the time in my 992 in Sport Plus mode just to make it feel right. Perhaps Porsche had realigned the suspension systems to the current model hierarchy? So, that was another factor.

Bottom line, I am not trying to beat anybody up on their decisions. I shared the above photo for anyone who is on a similar journey as me. My decision tree included my circumstances, likes, and expectations. Thanks all. I hope that this helps.
Alpha Ice (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 05:18 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 548 Posts

Dealer told me the only benefit to go PASM was for increased clearance. That is why it was offered by Porsche. 10mm isn't going to make much of a clearance difference for me. I'd actually prefer if they offered SPASM as -30mm same as GT4.

The 235/265 tyre options look a bit stretched, one size up in a PS4S with a straight sidewall will help create the illusion of less gap. The pZeros definitely look more stretched than PS4S.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Dan Nagy (07-16-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-19-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Sayemthree
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

to each their own. I just dont understand getting a car like this and checking a box to raise it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sayemthree:
Alpha Ice (07-17-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-19-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:40 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Dealer told me the only benefit to go PASM was for increased clearance. That is why it was offered by Porsche. 10mm isn't going to make much of a clearance difference for me. I'd actually prefer if they offered SPASM as -30mm same as GT4.

The 235/265 tyre options look a bit stretched, one size up in a PS4S with a straight sidewall will help create the illusion of less gap. The pZeros definitely look more stretched than PS4S.
I agree that the smaller tires look a bit stretched, but I believe that pZeros also have a bit smaller size than the Michelins. I get the whole 235/35/20, but different tires from different manufacturers can also look a bit different in sizing. I remember seeing some old Bridgestone RE050A's in a 245/35/19 and I thought for sure they sent 45 series profile with how tall they looked. I'm sure part of it was the wheel, but it still looked bigger than my previous wheels that were not the Bridgestones. I'm happy I went SPASM, we do get some pot holes in MN, but we have a whole summer season dedicated to fixing them! Clearance isn't much of an issue where I drive, but sure there will be some spots I'll need to tread carefully. I'll happily take the improved handling, and will probably jump up to 245/275 that I'm running on my Cayman now to have a bit more tread when I burn through whatever non Michelin tires they send on my car (hoping for PS4S!).
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Dan Nagy (07-17-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-17-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:41 PM
wistful
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

got the SPASM on my BGTS4. couldn't be happier. VERY liveable as a daily driver for NVH. looks fantastic. not super low. I actually wouldn't mind it a touch lower.
P-car-Vancouver (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:09 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I agree that the smaller tires look a bit stretched, but I believe that pZeros also have a bit smaller size than the Michelins. I get the whole 235/35/20, but different tires from different manufacturers can also look a bit different in sizing. I remember seeing some old Bridgestone RE050A's in a 245/35/19 and I thought for sure they sent 45 series profile with how tall they looked. I'm sure part of it was the wheel, but it still looked bigger than my previous wheels that were not the Bridgestones. I'm happy I went SPASM, we do get some pot holes in MN, but we have a whole summer season dedicated to fixing them! Clearance isn't much of an issue where I drive, but sure there will be some spots I'll need to tread carefully. I'll happily take the improved handling, and will probably jump up to 245/275 that I'm running on my Cayman now to have a bit more tread when I burn through whatever non Michelin tires they send on my car (hoping for PS4S!).
I'll likely swap out to PS4S or Cup2 235/275 combo up shortly after delivery if I get pZeros.
P-car-Vancouver (07-19-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 SPASM OR PASM?