Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 SPASM OR PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2.5 BGTS with PASM. I think it both rides and handles better than my previous 981 BS also 20”. I would say it rides amazingly well for a car with its handling chops. Both cars using comfort TPMS mode (30 lbs). Purely DD.

My thought is, there must be a reason for Porsche to offer both options. In the past, SPASM was extra cost, so one could cynically think that was the reason. Now that SPASM is standard on the GTS 4.0, that doesn’t seem to be a likely explanation.

My GTS scrapes on my driveway, which is not particularly steep, unless I’m really really careful. I can only assume another 10 mm would make it a little worse. And don’t forget, even with PASM, you can still press the “hard” button. I’ve never yet been tempted to do that.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:36 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Money is no object as the msrp of the builds end up pretty much the same. The only reason I’m looking at the gts is the power top. Looks, gt3 suspension, and expected value retention would be the counter-reasons favoring the Spyder. It’s such a toss up that I end up favoring one over the other each alternating month. Here I am building Spyders in the configurator again for the last few days. Too much time left until next Spring, lol...

Btw, for everyone getting a GTS out of height/clearance concerns: the gt4/Spyder (coilover) suspension is height adjustable. Personally, if I was getting a coupe, I would see no reason to pick a GTS over the GT4.
Does this mean that in case you need a higher clearance for the 718 GT4 you just adjust the height of the car?
If this is the case, then I am immediately stopping considering the GTS and will look at the GT4 as I was not prepared to to face a low clearance issues of the GT4.

The stiffer suspension of the GT4 is no issue for me at all but the ground clearance is.

Last edited by kart driver; 09-13-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
Does this mean that in case you need a higher clearance for the 718 GT4 you just adjust the height of the car?
Yes. I’d wait for someone else to confirm for the GT4/Spyder but this has been the case for every GT2/3 car so far. All it takes is a height adjustment and re-alignment at a knowledgable shop.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes. I’d wait for someone else to confirm for the GT4/Spyder but this has been the case for every GT2/3 car so far. All it takes is a height adjustment and re-alignment at a knowledgable shop.
But isn’t the stock ride height the HIGHEST position? I thought the GT4 could be lowered for track duty, but not that there was an ability to raise the car up.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But isn’t the stock ride height the HIGHEST position? I thought the GT4 could be lowered for track duty, but not that there was an ability to raise the car up.
Good question. I don't know the answer. I don't see a reason why stock would be placed at the highest position. Maybe someone who's done height adjustments on their GT4 can chime in.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The wheel gap on the PASM Boxster GTS 4.0 looks massive. I would spec SPASM for aesthetics alone.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The wheel gap on the PASM Boxster GTS 4.0 looks massive. I would spec SPASM for aesthetics alone.
I agree. I think he's referring to the start of this video here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ster-ever.html

Old 09-18-2020, 03:29 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm still on the fence. Right now I have 20mm specified but have a week before it freezes. If it wasn't going to be a daily driver or I didn't live in Nebraska I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I still think my thought process that it's only a centimeter difference could be used to argue both for and against, so I'm leaning towards leaving it at 20mm. I'm trying to force myself not to think about wheel gap or somehow making the car harder to sell down the road, but it's hard to look at this objectively. I just don't want to regret the decision one way or the other, which is why I think 20mm makes more sense because the regret there would be scrape repairs and not the end of the world to deal with. If I regretted 10mm I'd be stuck with it unless I wanted to go the modification route.

I should figure out how this compares to my 991.1 Turbo because I have never scraped it. On the other hand my wife's Ghibli scrapes often (speed bumps and pot holes). Although my other concern is ride quality on the 20mm vs 10mm.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I bought a '14 Cayman S with the standard suspension years back and once I noticed the wheel gap, it drove me nuts until I swapped it out for an X73.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:32 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

I went with the 10MM PASM option on my GTS 4.0. Most of my driving is on state highways and country roads, so l liked the idea of a bit more clearance and a more comfortable ride. Hmmm... just realized looking at the date that my car froze today so it should go into production in the next 2-3 weeks. I think most of us who have the N.A. allocations for the 4.0 will be at the freeze point in the near future. The Dec. 4th delivery dates are not that far away!
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM
markoware
Instructor

Originally Posted by patdonahue
I went with the 10MM PASM option on my GTS 4.0. Most of my driving is on state highways and country roads, so l liked the idea of a bit more clearance and a more comfortable ride. Hmmm... just realized looking at the date that my car froze today so it should go into production in the next 2-3 weeks. I think most of us who have the N.A. allocations for the 4.0 will be at the freeze point in the near future. The Dec. 4th delivery dates are not that far away!
I suppose that is my other consideration...same type of driving for me. All roads here are straight, too, which is a shame. I think I freeze 9/30 for 12/25 delivery. I pulled the trigger a little later than others did. Was actually surprised I got an allocation.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Guys, whether for a daily or a backroad carver just get the STANDARD (Porsche knows what it's doing) -20mm SPASM and don't sweat it one bit.

In terms of stiffness GT4 > Spyder > GTS SPASM > GTS PASM so even with SPASM you're ranking UNDER the median for 718 4.0 stiffness already -- and plenty of comments about how compliant and daily-friendly the GT4 is! Then you have the SPASM soft/stiff settings too for extra adjustment. In the Harry's Garage video above the guy said he kept his setting on SPORT by default. In terms of clearance SPASM is already +10mm raised compared to GT4/Spyder and, more importantly, has a MUCH higher front lip for EXTRA added front clearance.

Finally, look at that video above, SPASM looks much better than PASM. As markoware explained, the downside for SPASM is a slightly stiffer ride and a possible scrape here and there (although my bet is hardly ever). Big deal... The downside for PASM is a car that's too soft with a stance of an SUV -- much harder to fix if you regret the decision.

SPASM is a no-brainer regardless of how you plan to use the GTS 4.0.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:16 PM
markoware
Instructor

I think I'll do SPASM and if my wife (or I) don't like the ride I'll put in a DSC controller. I feel really good about this idea. The '19 SPASM I drove really seemed fine...I think I only noticed it being slightly more harsh on one road vs my 991.

I am at peace and can now focus on more important things like whether I deviate stitching on the steering column.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:32 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

If this is the case, then I am immediately stopping considering the GTS and will look at the GT4 as I was not prepared to to face a low clearance issues of the GT4.

The stiffer suspension of the GT4 is no issue for me at all but the ground clearance is.

I have checked the info.
gt4 can be adjusted higher to plus 7 mm only
Old 09-19-2020, 11:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I have checked the info.
gt4 can be adjusted higher to plus 7 mm only
That’s not much but good to know it’s there if someone needs it.

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 SPASM OR PASM?