Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020 | 12:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katzndogs
Guys -

I imagine this is a stupid question and I don't want to bring up the whole warranty debate, but I would just like some opinions so I know what to expect... Long story short:

I installed 7mm shims on the front suspension. Now have -2.1' neg camber in front and -1.5' in the rear. After my second track day on the new alignment (which has been fantastic) I now noticed some sort of clicking/popping and groaning noise coming from the front suspension (i think the right side) when I go over most medium to slow speed road imperfections. Sounds like something on the top end/mount of the coil over. I want to bring the car to the dealer to take a look and make sure everything is snug (as opposed to an indy shop) being that it has factory coil overs and therefore this should be covered under warranty. But they don't know I have the camber shims installed so I have 2 questions:

1) you think the dealer will even notice the 7mm shims?
2) if they do, would this void the suspension warranty?

Probably stupid questions and at the end of the day I am not too worried about it as I like the shims and plan to keep them. But I am curious to know if anyone else has brought their car in for suspension warranty work with shims installed. Thanks.
My Spyder made noises like that before I did anything, now that I have the suspension adjusted it still makes them, possibly a few more, related I am sure but I thought I read here in another thread that both the GT4 and Spyder makes these noise due to the type of suspension?

Oh and BTW, my Porsche dealer did the installation of these parts...

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-27-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2020 | 01:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Last_935
Are you saying that the TPC toe links provided no advantage over the Tarett version and, therefore, are not worth the additional cost when replacing the oem units?
Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Bill, do you remember what your rear toe was for the Tarret set up versus the TPC set up. Theoretically with the TPC offset toe links, you can run slightly less toe in to free up the car a bit and provide a bit more rotation to reduce understeer. It could of course reduced stability in some high speed sweepers. Was that noticeable?
Is there a difference between the TPC and Tarett rear toe links? Looking at the photos on their respective websites it looks like they both have offset spacers added? I have yet to purchase, making my list currently.
Old 10-27-2020 | 01:33 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Is there a difference between the TPC and Tarett rear toe links? Looking at the photos on their respective websites it looks like they both have offset spacers added? I have yet to purchase, making my list currently.

TPC are the only offset rear toe links available...they reduce rear toe change under suspension movement almost 50%. They are more expensive but they do provide this added advantage allowing you to dial a bit less toe than with other toe links.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020 | 03:28 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
My Spyder made noises like that before I did anything, now that I have the suspension adjusted it still makes them, possibly a few more, related I am sure but I thought I read here in another thread that both the GT4 and Spyder makes these noise due to the type of suspension?

My 6GT3 would do the same. It clears up with a good hard run. eg it’d clear up after a fun day at AX.
Old 10-27-2020 | 03:44 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
My 6GT3 would do the same. It clears up with a good hard run. eg it’d clear up after a fun day at AX.
Thanks for the feedback but I know the common sounds of these suspensions versus the noises its making now. They are different. @Westcoast You telling me the dealer installed your camber shims? If that is the case I am not too worried.
Old 10-27-2020 | 03:46 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
haha trust me I already gave it a full day (6x 20 min sessions) of hard running on track.

Last edited by katzndogs; 10-27-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2020 | 04:38 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

haha trust me I already gave it a FULL day (6x 20 min sessions) of hard running on track.
👍 🏎
Old 10-27-2020 | 05:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback but I know the common sounds of these suspensions versus the noises its making now. They are different. @Westcoast You telling me the dealer installed your camber shims? If that is the case I am not too worried.
Yes, they installed additional shims to increase the camber from what arrived with from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
katzndogs (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020 | 07:28 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

The LCA is designed to accept shims for more camber I ran -3.0 with no issues.
Old 10-30-2020 | 10:50 AM
katzndogs
Instructor

Quick update: turns out it was the front sway bar making the noise. I forgot that the nuts you takeoff to adjust the sway bar are "one-time use only" had loosened up a bit from running at the track. Torqued everything back to spec and I was on my way in 10 minutes. I ordered (4) new nuts to put on and I don't think I will adjust the sway bars in the future so I don't expect to run into this issue again.
Old 10-30-2020 | 11:03 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Quick update: turns out it was the front sway bar making the noise. I forgot that the nuts you takeoff to adjust the sway bar are "one-time use only" had loosened up a bit from running at the track. Torqued everything back to spec and I was on my way in 10 minutes. I ordered (4) new nuts to put on and I don't think I will adjust the sway bars in the future so I don't expect to run into this issue again.
Good to know, I have both the front and rear in their mid-position, what did you adjust the front to, full hard or full soft?
Old 10-30-2020 | 11:11 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Default Winter suspension setup GT4 - Need advice

Ok guys. I have read this thread and done some research off and on. Here is my current (under construction) list of items I am thinking for this winter's suspension setup for my currently stock 2020 GT4. I am a decent track driver and selected as a PCA instructor in my region this past winter (but unable to start this past summer due to COVID). I am coming from a very well setup 6-GT3 that is 95% track use, which I still own and plan to keep. I will use the GT4 probably 50/50 street and track. As time goes on likely more track than street, especially if I end up selling the GT3.

I think my alignment goals are around -2.5 camber front and rear. Slightly lowering the car but it's already pretty low for getting in and out of my enclosed trailer. I will evaluate different wheels and tires after I burn off the first set of Cup 2s. Will probably stick w/ R-comp tires vs. slicks.

Here is my list so far - Please make suggestions:

TPC Offset rear toe links
TPC suspension DSC controller
Tarett strut top mounts
Caster pucks in stock LCAs
Inner LCA monoballs x4
Front strut tower reinforcement plates

Anything else worth adding?

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-30-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2020 | 11:15 AM
katzndogs
Instructor

Good to know, I have both the front and rear in their mid-position, what did you adjust the front to, full hard or full soft?
I have the front set to full soft and the rear set to full hard. Took a little getting used to but I am really liking the set up now.
Old 10-30-2020 | 11:20 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have the front set to full soft and the rear set to full hard. Took a little getting used to but I am really liking the set up now.
Thanks, I have only been able to do my local favorite roads so far, no track opportunities yet, I want to see how my current set-up feels there before I make any more adjustments. FWIW I am running pretty much a Stage-2 RSS upgrade.
Old 10-30-2020 | 11:30 AM
katzndogs
Instructor

Talking

Thanks, I have only been able to do my local favorite roads so far, no track opportunities yet, I want to see how my current set-up feels there before I make any more adjustments. FWIW I am running pretty much a Stage-2 RSS upgrade.
What does stage 2 consist of? I am not sure you would be able to feel different sway bar set ups on the road - at least I don't think I would be able to without getting my license revoked! Talking

Quick Reply: GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge