Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020 | 03:08 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
You can get at least -3.0 F with shims and I got -2.5 R with shims. The issue with being restricted to stock parts is the rear toe link. You need at least 2 mm per side rear toe for stability under braking and some have had issues with aftermarket wheels. . I experimented with lowering but my goal was to retain the factory rake with the tire diameters I choose.
Maybe my question should be keeping 2mm rear toe per side, how much rear camber can I achieve with shims only?
Old 12-04-2020 | 08:05 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Maybe my question should be keeping 2mm rear toe per side, how much rear camber can I achieve with shims only?

As you move out the LCA with shims you will run out of adjustment using the OEM eccentric bolt.....not sure of how much you can do without going with adjustable rear toe links as I never tried without them, maybe others here can chime in on this.
Old 12-04-2020 | 02:40 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Anybody chasing larger camber numbers is likely going to the track, so upgraded adjustable rear toe links are a must. With that being said, The TPC toe links also reduce rebound toe out deflection which makes the car more consistent, stable, and safe. You don't want to go over a bump in a high speed corner at the limit, and on the way down from the compression have the rear outside wheel decide to add a mm of toe out for a moment. That can lead to a quick snap spin if you are not careful.
Old 12-04-2020 | 03:23 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Anybody chasing larger camber numbers is likely going to the track, so upgraded adjustable rear toe links are a must. With that being said, The TPC toe links also reduce rebound toe out deflection which makes the car more consistent, stable, and safe. You don't want to go over a bump in a high speed corner at the limit, and on the way down from the compression have the rear outside wheel decide to add a mm of toe out for a moment. That can lead to a quick snap spin if you are not careful.
I want to do the toe link upgrades in time but I am new to tracking this car so one step at a time. Frankly I am alittle disappointed to hear Porsche build an amazing performance car only to have us buy a bunch of aftermarket parts to do a proper track alignment! I am not unfamiliar with tracking as my previous car ran -3.5 front and -3 rear. I am not sure if it is because of the suspension design.....but maybe a proper double wishbone setup is better?
Old 12-04-2020 | 04:10 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I want to do the toe link upgrades in time but I am new to tracking this car so one step at a time. Frankly I am alittle disappointed to hear Porsche build an amazing performance car only to have us buy a bunch of aftermarket parts to do a proper track alignment! I am not unfamiliar with tracking as my previous car ran -3.5 front and -3 rear. I am not sure if it is because of the suspension design.....but maybe a proper double wishbone setup is better?
That's apparently what Porsche decided on the 992 GT3
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (03-31-2021)
Old 12-04-2020 | 05:04 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Regarding the heavy lift of the wheel + tire, an alternative to the mounting pin is to convert to studs. I installed Rennline's studs (the short studs are fine) and Tarett's "Nascar style" wheel nuts (very hard, will not deform with repeated impact wrench use). I autocross and DE my GT4, and 981 GTS, so I am changing wheels often. If that's your plan too I recommend studs.

Howard
Old 12-04-2020 | 05:21 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
That's apparently what Porsche decided on the 992 GT3
Only the front suspension. I have a feeling it may be hard to parkage double wishbone for rear motor. I think the RSR race car is mid engine with double wishbone?

I love the new GT3 but it is out of my budget.
Old 01-02-2021 | 08:48 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I try not to bitch as much in my old(er) age but i have never had a car where the alignment was the first thing i wanted to change. I have been on the pad once. I am going on the pad again. It's terrible on crowned one lane roads and awful in the wet on them. It's better on the highway and the road with my front toe change but still...i am NOT happy. More to report shortly.
I saw your posts on some other threads but I think they were older than this. Did you get it back on the pads and what did you come up with?

Also, I want to do the Motorsport front camber plates to preserve castor but I haven’t been able to find how much camber they add vs. shims. I.e. with no shims and only the plates where does the camber land? That becomes my starting point. I want to do an aggressive street alignment but be able to dial in another degree or so for the occasional HPDE so if the starting point is more than a what we arrive on as an aggressive street number that becomes problematic.
Old 01-02-2021 | 11:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
I saw your posts on some other threads but I think they were older than this. Did you get it back on the pads and what did you come up with?

Also, I want to do the Motorsport front camber plates to preserve castor but I haven’t been able to find how much camber they add vs. shims. I.e. with no shims and only the plates where does the camber land? That becomes my starting point. I want to do an aggressive street alignment but be able to dial in another degree or so for the occasional HPDE so if the starting point is more than a what we arrive on as an aggressive street number that becomes problematic.
At least with Tarret camber plates you get an extra -1 degree camber......
Old 01-02-2021 | 11:05 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Only the front suspension. I have a feeling it may be hard to parkage double wishbone for rear motor. I think the RSR race car is mid engine with double wishbone?

I love the new GT3 but it is out of my budget.

911s are multilink rear so not much problems as a strut design like on the mid engine platform.
Old 01-03-2021 | 02:26 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Camber plates are nice, but you probably want some additional shims in front to increase the track. This will help with front end grip, and help reduce understeer.
Old 01-03-2021 | 09:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Camber plates are nice, but you probably want some additional shims in front to increase the track. This will help with front end grip, and help reduce understeer.

Yes....but once you start crossing -2.8 negative camber up front with shims only you need to correct that caster either with camber plates and/or adjustable tension bars (or the LCA pucks with 3 position).
Another things is that if you do go for a 265 tire up front you need to tuck that tire inside the fender and also correct the caster or you will have contact with the front fender edge.
I do a combination of shims and camber plate but get most of the camber from the camber plate.
One thing that helps is that if you upgrade wheels for the track go for a 9" front.....the OEM is 8.5" (GT3 is 9")...you gain 0.5" there alone.
Old 01-03-2021 | 09:37 AM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

BGB’s “shop” GT4 is sporting 15mm front wheel spacers presumably partly for this reason. Once I get mine it will be interesting to see how many shims, if any, exist from the factory. I know they have been chasing a setup and perhaps the need for the plate won’t be there for my application, which is 90% aggressive street use, we will see. I only spent a few minutes with them last week and we didn’t get into specifics since I’m at least a month out from needing to get the work done between my delivery time and them finishing up with their Rolex support.
Old 01-03-2021 | 09:41 AM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Yes....but once you start crossing -2.8 negative camber up front with shims only you need to correct that caster either with camber plates and/or adjustable tension bars (or the LCA pucks with 3 position).
Another things is that if you do go for a 265 tire up front you need to tuck that tire inside the fender and also correct the caster or you will have contact with the front fender edge.
I do a combination of shims and camber plate but get most of the camber from the camber plate.
One thing that helps is that if you upgrade wheels for the track go for a 9" front.....the OEM is 8.5" (GT3 is 9")...you gain 0.5" there alone.
I will not be upgrading for the track, I might do one DE a year and maybe a few auto-x’s. I’m looking for the optimal street setup that can be tweaked for the occasional event. Getting the GT bits from the factory gets me 90% there but I’m not against fine tuning from there.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2021 | 10:01 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
I will not be upgrading for the track, I might do one DE a year and maybe a few auto-x’s. I’m looking for the optimal street setup that can be tweaked for the occasional event. Getting the GT bits from the factory gets me 90% there but I’m not against fine tuning from there.
In that case sounds like you will be using the OEM 20" wheel/tires....good idea to go for more track and probably a max of -2.5 camber up front.
I'm pretty sure John will get you car setup correctly, very few people know the mid engine platform as well as the guys at BGB.

Quick Reply: GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge