Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021 | 01:12 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Yes for sure start now. Watch jcviggen vdo at Sochi (Unexpected loss of control at 140MPH) post. You dont want to go to the track with the stock set up as it sucks (sucks as in the car is horrible and a travesty from the factory). Some may think this is an overstatement for my own pleasure... but its not. The GT4 is an amazing platform but Porsche really hobbles the car from the factory.
^Must watch video for sure. Spot-On advice.
Old 03-26-2021 | 01:22 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi BGB. You guys build race cars and know the 718 GT4 platform pretty well, non? If so how can you say IF! You know the car needs help. It sucks from the factory. Sure everyones needs are different as are driving styles... but the tool (GT4/Spyder) is the same, it doesnt change. I think the group is best served by experts like you you not saying to us 'hey go out and try the car and see what you think' but rather here is how we see it under these conditions so maybe try this.... again not attacking you, just respectfully asking for your deep knowledge of this particular car. Thanks
The problem is that no two cars handle the same even if they have all of the same parts, settings, etc. With the proper alignment, i don't think Caymans understeer; with the proper power mods i didn't think the cars needed gearing. HOWEVER, there are those that feel the opposite. Take you for instance...you seem pretty sharp...but you said something with which i do not agree. You said that the bar is a small change when in fact, it's the most power tuning tool on the entire car because you get an immediate reaction. You are correct though in your statement about not going down the rabbit hole until you get the camber right.

I see some of the settings that people list on here and think to myself "at a track like Road Atlanta, that is NOT going to be confidence inspiring." I ask them how the car handles and they say it's balanced and they might be, for their driving. Someone else gets in the car and charges the apex a little harder and now it's all of the sudden way too loose!

I think i am just going to lurk in the background and when i see things like what is mentioned above OR that people think that running 2mm of rear toe in is a terrible idea, i will raise my hand and be like "i don't agree with that!"

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 03-26-2021 at 01:24 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
alwaysdriving (03-26-2021), CDinSing (04-23-2021), dnimi123 (03-27-2021), jmartpr (03-27-2021), josephr25 (03-26-2021), LZRD GRN (03-27-2021), phefner (03-26-2021), porscheflat6 (03-31-2021), sobiloff (03-26-2021), TDT (03-30-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-26-2021 | 01:53 PM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Doc, it seems like we want the same things from our Spyders, I had hoped it was going to handle 'excellent ' or like I thought a GT car should out of the box... it didn't, no better than my outgoing Boxster GTS, I was disappointed to say the least!

My car now handles like I expected it should, composed over bumps, no understeer, highway straight line feel is solid, stable and secure in high speed sweepers and turn in is exceptional. We added a few parts to allow us to go a little further then the stock parts accommodate, IMHO worth every penny. Oh, and yes the DSC controller too.

A link to a post above, and the earlier post with additional details: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17316852
thanks Westcoast! I luv your Spyder and how you’re approaching your mods. I believe we have the same use case “drive it like you stole on nice back roads”. I read your posts and your set up. Honestly, I wanna do this on a progressive way. I’ve done the alignment which I believe is balanced for the street. However, I am still finding the car too bouncy on bad roads and loosing rear grip. I think DSC controller is in my future but before I want to play with the Sway bars. Right now front and rear are on medium. I believe this is also your set up right? I am thinking of soft front and stiff rear. I would love to hear from those in the know

Last edited by DocMo; 03-26-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2021 | 02:02 PM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I think you are best served driving the car and then attacking it based on the end of the car that needs something. If it's too free / loose / tail happy you go up with the front bar. If it's the opposite you ....(you get the picture
Thank you. I’ve been driving the car for 10 months and 5000km. I got a good feel for it now on my street driving. The rear end is a bit loose indeed, and the turn in can be sharper (7mm spacers in the front). What would you recommend for the Sway bars and for the alignment (with stock parts only)?
My sway bars are medium front and rear and below my alignment values (stock and after alignment).
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I trust your expertise

Last edited by DocMo; 03-26-2021 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alwaysdriving (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 02:25 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Great thread!

This is what I am starting out with this year... Car is street and some autoX only.

I had this done at a local dealer. I wanted to get front camber in the 2.0 to 2.4 range. But this is what the tech could get me to with only the factory adjustments. No front shims were added. The dealer wanted an extra $800 (?!?) to purchase and install shims pre-alignment. So I'm going to wait on shims until next time because 1) I don't really know how much camber/shim the front wants for autoX, and 2) I'd rather drive it for a season first to see what it's telling me and 3) I was not initially sure I could trust the dealer not to screw up the alignment to begin with. I learned after speaking with the alignment tech that my trepidation with a dealership alignment was unwarranted. He was extremely knowledgeable about adjusting these cars, and he had a motorsports background. He got the car to pretty much exactly the targets I had requested (except for front camber of course, since I opted against adding shims for now.) -1.83 degree front camber is not terrible for factory adjustments on basically just the top strut mount.

Last edited by 0-Day; 03-26-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: I forgot to convert the minutes to decimal in the front camber description
Old 03-26-2021 | 03:14 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

For those saying 2mm toe is too much because TPC recommends 1mm, isn't that because TPC has their off-set toe link with less toe variation? For non-TPC toe links, I would think 1mm is not enough.
0-Day (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 03:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DocMo
thanks Westcoast! I luv your Spyder and how you’re approaching your mods. I believe we have the same use case “drive it like you stole on nice back roads”. I read your posts and your set up. Honestly, I wanna do this on a progressive way. I’ve done the alignment which I believe is balanced for the street. However, I am still finding the car too bouncy on bad roads and loosing rear grip. I think DSC controller is in my future but before I want to play with the Sway bars. Right now front and rear are on medium. I believe this is also your set up right? I am thinking of soft front and stiff rear. I would love to hear from those in the know
Thanks Doc! I agree with BGB, every car is a bit different and I think every driver has things they seem to key on and think are 'the most important thing to change', not all of them translate exactly to everyone else depending on where and how they drive! But there are things that can be adjusted to make the car a lot better to drive, one example is the BGB recommendation for front toe, that alone made me feel a lot more comfortable behind the wheel on the highway! FWIW the front of my Spyder is set to 1.19mm OUT.

(Westcoast) So you are recommending zero toe or possibly slightly negative?

(BGB) No. 1mm OUT. The car comes with zero which is the problem. On the race car we flirt with toe in but for the street and for every standard Cayman or 911 1mm to 1.5mm out per corner up front is gospel.
As for those sway bars, yes mine at both at the mid position, I don't detect any understeer on my Spyder...

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-26-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2021 | 04:47 PM
982GT4
7th Gear

Many thanks for the reply and advice @sobiloff. Sorry I wasn't clear but the toe I quoted was in total as opposed to each side - i.e. +2' (0.3mm) each side front and +7' (1mm) each side rear, which coincidentally is exactly the same as TPC suggested street setting. As I said my local indie said he couldn't achieve much beyond 1.0° at the rear with that amount of toe, and I was wondering whether adding just shims would allow to gain another 0.5° (and get to say -1° 30') at the rear. Or whether I'm really going to need adjustable toe links to achieve this.

I've seen quite a few suggestions for running front camber 0.5° more than rear as rule of thumb - which would suggest I need about -2.0° at the front. I'm assuming this would be easily achievable with shims alone.

During a 'spirited' drive this afternoon the rear felt fidgety / bouncy when pressing hard in slow to mid speed corners (UK B roads / country lanes) - and wondering whether this could be due to the lack of camber. (As I said above I'm currently running only -1.0° with +7' / 1mm toe each side at the rear). The front felt fine to be honest.

Any help / advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by 982GT4; 03-26-2021 at 05:04 PM.
sobiloff (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 04:52 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 982GT4
Many thanks for the reply and advice @sobiloff. Sorry I wasn't clear but the toe I quoted was in total as opposed to each side - i.e. +2' (0.3mm) each side front and +7' (1mm) each side rear, which coincidentally is exactly the same as TPC suggested street setting. As I said my local indie said he couldn't achieve much beyond 1.0° at the rear with that amount of toe, and I was wondering whether adding just shims would allow to gain another 0.5° (and get to say -1° 30') at the rear. Or whether I'm really going to need adjustable toe links to achieve this.

I've seen quite a few suggestions for running front camber 0.5° more than rear as rule of thumb - which would suggest I need about -2.0° at the front. I'm assuming this would be easily achievable with shims alone.

During a 'spirited' drive this afternoon the rear felt fidgety / bouncy when pressing hard in slow to mid speed corners (UK B roads / country lanes). As I said I'm currently running only -1.0° with +7' / 1mm toe each side at the rear - and wondering whether this could be due to the lack of camber. The front felt fine to be honest.

Any help / advice is much appreciated.
-1 in the rear is definitely not enough. You should be at least -1.5 in the rear, -2 would be even better.
982GT4 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 04:56 PM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Today I set sway bars soft/front and hard/rear, it took 1 hour at the tyre shop. I didn't test the car very well but it feels slightly different, of course there is more roll on the front and less on the rear axle. It rotates better but steering/turn-in response looks slightly slower. I will test my car next days and report back!

Last edited by SpyderLegend; 03-26-2021 at 04:58 PM.
dnimi123 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 04:58 PM
982GT4
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TRZ06
-1 in the rear is definitely not enough. You should be at least -1.5 in the rear, -2 would be even better.
Thanks, that was my understanding too. But could -1.5 be achieved with shims alone?
Old 03-26-2021 | 05:28 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Originally Posted by DocMo
I am interested in your street experience with full soft front and rear sway bars. Any cons? How is traction in straight line and fast curves? How is understeer? How is it over bumpy roads? How is it in the wet? Thank you!!! I have a Spyder that I don’t track but I drive it very hard on mountain roads.
with adjustment to full soft front and rear as i explained, it makes a noticeable difference in adding more comfort to street driving especially when we speak of at least semi daily driving and with dry roads. for performance and traction driving you don't need to worry as you can't drive fast like being in track and approach turns really quick as it proven (at least with me) to be approaching dangerous situation as 95% of people driving really slow here + you don't need to worry as the car really agile have excellent suspension and got stability.
- 100% it has no cons for straight but questionable for turns as it depends on road condition mostly
- More comfortable for vertical hits and road imperfections.
- For mountain roads i recommend you to try medium rear and soft fronts to try and judge your conditions
Porsche did add this feature for you to enjoy it more for many reasons and i bet one of them is this although not just healing understeer .... though not explained in the manual
when the track season resumes end of the year i will revert back to full hard rears and medium front as its my best preference so far.
since you mention that you don't track it I definitely recommend you when the cup 2 wear is almost gone to switch to 4S tires, it has amazing grip levels not far from cup 2 and gives you a noticeable comfort and much more durability for a person who drives 90% and like 10% track. if i had a Spyder i would've easily done this but if i track it i would switch tires or even better wheels n tires.
dnimi123 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 05:37 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Hi BGB. You guys build race cars and know the 718 GT4 platform pretty well, non? If so how can you say IF! You know the car needs help. It sucks from the factory. Sure everyones needs are different as are driving styles... but the tool (GT4/Spyder) is the same, it doesnt change. I think the group is best served by experts like you you not saying to us 'hey go out and try the car and see what you think' but rather here is how we see it under these conditions so maybe try this.... again not attacking you, just respectfully asking for your deep knowledge of this particular car. Thanks
Don't think one size fit's all, and don't think the GT4 necessarily sucks from the factory either. It's a great platform. BGB adjusted my GT4 suspension to what satisfied my driving style as defined by what I noticed first on the street, then at an AX and then at the track. My background is years of AX and as a PCA instructor, so I have a fairly decent point of reference. The good thing about BGB is that they don't push you in a given direction. They make recommendations, but listen to what you feel in the car, and where and how you are going to drive it. Conditions and tracks change. I noticed major handling improvements on my car that ended up working very well at Sebring, however John and his guys noted that I probably wouldn't want the same configuration at Daytona. These guys are experts! No two drivers are the same. I feel fortunate to gain from BGB's experience. They don't try to sell you the kitchen sink, but take the time to listen, not just slam a given alignment configuration and then send you out the door. My car is getting custom tuned to my needs. It's back there now getting a few more tweaks that I expect will provide even more improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by KBS911:
CDinSing (04-23-2021), dnimi123 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021 | 05:39 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpyderLegend
Today I set sway bars soft/front and hard/rear, it took 1 hour at the tyre shop. I didn't test the car very well but it feels slightly different, of course there is more roll on the front and less on the rear axle. It rotates better but steering/turn-in response looks slightly slower. I will test my car next days and report back!
sway bars makes the impact on body roll when turn in and out = to aid prevention of understeer.
the real test for you if you want more traction you set fronts toe OUT and to balance the car in straight line to set rear toe IN. this made the car feels like a go-kart in the corners in the track and better result for your laps.
Old 03-26-2021 | 05:53 PM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
sway bars makes the impact on body roll when turn in and out = to aid prevention of understeer.
the real test for you if you want more traction you set fronts toe OUT and to balance the car in straight line to set rear toe IN. this made the car feels like a go-kart in the corners in the track and better result for your laps.
Now my alignment is -2°10' front camber, 0 front toe, +10° caster, -1°30' rear camber, +3mm total rear toe. I will try the car a bit and decide if I want to keep soft front or go back to middle. Rear hard is perfect. Also I will try -1mm total front toe as you said.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderLegend:
alwaysdriving (03-26-2021), dnimi123 (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge