Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:34 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Thanks for the detailed follow up. I did read this entire thread. I spoke with my new service manager and explained the issue. He was very nice and said he wasn't aware of any known problems, but of course he wants to have a tech look at it when I can get it in, weather permitting.

Yes, if I show down my shift it doesn't grind. And I'm not always shifting that quickly, but clearly I do sometimes shift quickly enough to grind the syncros a bit. Often when I don't realize how quickly I'm shifting.

I'm hoping it will improve once broken in line others have experienced. My plan is to get 1k miles, bring it to the dealer if it's still grinding, request a fluid change and see how it drives then. If it's just the nature of the beast, I'll have no choice but to live with it and slow down my pace a bit. After all, it's not one of my old muscle cars from my past. 😁
Old 02-16-2022, 08:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I had the last time out, this past weekend...just went over 2k miles on a '21 Spyder.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I now shift like this, a super short pause through neutral and have been grind free because of it.

Not only did he pause but if you watch his left leg he appears to double clutch as well.

I thought about the last 1-2 shift and grind and it really seemed that I let out the clutch just slightly ahead of being fully into second gear, why... trying to shift it a bit to fast and my timing was just off enough to cause a problem.

My conclusion: the slight delay through neutral and being fully into second gear is the key to eliminating the 1-2 grind, I can live with that!
I've never had to pause like this in my 1-2 shift. I've just finally been able to get wot in 1st and 2nd (still a bit sketchy with being on Alpins), but I'm probably not as fast at shifting as some of the other folks in this thread, but I have to imagine that my shifting is still significantly quicker than this woman driving in the Soul car shifting. I do think that I find I'm probably pressing the clutch in harder or a bit further than some others on all of my shifting or at least when in 1st gear, and that could be working for me too. I can also say for certain that I've never had my revs fall below my 2nd gear engagement (if I shifted at 7k in 1st, and my 2nd gear perfect match is 5k rpms let's say, I've never shifted slow enough to have my rpms drop below 5k for instance).

I think that I have to agree that it might just be moving your foot back a bit too quick, or maybe not being depressed far enough for engagement. I'm probably wrong on that, and happy to be, but I haven't had this syncro grind yet at 1730 miles on my GTS. GL to all.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (02-18-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:06 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

My last time out, I wanted to verify that it wasn't a clutch pedal issue, so I put the pedal to the floor, paused slightly, then shifted in one motion to second (ie, no pause in neutral) and I could create a grind. I did not release the clutch pedal yet when it grinded. So unless my clutch is out of adjustment, which it does not appear to be, the issue is definitely internal to the transmission. The syncro's simply cannot keep up under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are RPM's around 5k (I can't go above that yet due to not being broken in) and shifting briskly (NOT DRAG RACE SPEED SHIFTING, just brisk pace).

I suppose some cars do it more than others, which could be a variance in manufacturing.

For my car, it did it once on my drive home from the dealership, so it's been there from the start. I'm hoping that once broken in the problem may subside. But honestly, I'm not confident that will happen. I suspect long term, I'll have to adjust my driving as if I'm driving an air cooled 911 with the 902 manual. If I want to chirp second, I'll take the Ford (with the German Tremec tranny, ironically enough).

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 02-17-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Corrected GT350 Tranny to Tremec
unclemat (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:12 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I'll take the Ford (with the German Getrag tranny, ironically enough).
Both are Getrags and not great. Tremec is where is at these days it seems for manual trannies...
Old 02-17-2022, 12:35 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

My bad before... the GT350 has the Tremec, which is why it's so delightful!

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/Image/...ansmission.jpg
Old 02-17-2022, 01:20 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

My bad before... the GT350 has the Tremec, which is why it's so delightful!

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/Image/...ansmission.jpg
Oh, yeah. Assumed your is regular GT, which has a Getrag. Mach 1 and GT350 have a Tremec.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:02 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Update: Captain's log, 2/20/2022. Cold morning run where I got up to 718 miles on the car (wahoo). I am NO LONGER EXPERIENCING THE GRIND GOING INTO SECOND GEAR! And once I realized it seemed to be gone, I tested it numerous times, making many very fast 1-2 shifts at higher RPMs. No grind! Maybe it was the 718 mileage that they car liked, I don't know. But I hope it stays gone.

Dan Nagy (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Update: Captain's log, 2/20/2022. Cold morning run where I got up to 718 miles on the car (wahoo). I am NO LONGER EXPERIENCING THE GRIND GOING INTO SECOND GEAR! And once I realized it seemed to be gone, I tested it numerous times, making many very fast 1-2 shifts at higher RPMs. No grind! Maybe it was the 718 mileage that they car liked, I don't know. But I hope it stays gone.

Curious about the data shown in the picture, 9mph in 4th gear while talking on the phone and taking a picture? 🤔

Also I don't think I have seen the "Indiv." to the left of the speedo readout before?
Old 02-20-2022, 11:27 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Curious about the data shown in the picture, 9mph in 4th gear while talking on the phone and taking a picture? 🤔

Also I don't think I have seen the "Indiv." to the left of the speedo readout before?
I was on the service road with a friend behind me on the phone. I saw the mileage and told him I'm slowing for a picture. I stepped on the clutch while in 4th as I slowed up for the picture.

Individual setting: This gets me the most aggressive setting for PTV rear differential, and the aggressive dynamic engine mount of Sport Plus, while keeping the quicker throttle mapping from Sport. Then I manually turn off the SPASM shocks with center console switch because NY roads suck. Truth be told, so far I can't tell the difference on the PTV or Dynamic engine mount, but the roads are cold and the car isn't broken in yet.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 AM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I had mine out this a.m. too. Very cold (20 degrees F). All good. Once warmed up, I find the car is very happy doing the 1-2 shift at around 6k rpm. Just very smooth, seamless engagement into 2nd. For the more mechanical-minded here, is it rougher on the 1-2 synchro to shift above or below the perfect rev-matched rpm?

For example, assume you're in 1st, you rev out to 6,500 rpm and then depress the clutch and get ready to shift into second. If a perfect rev match for 2nd gear in that example would be at 4,500 RPM, which better, being quick on the 1-2 shift and dropping into 2nd when the revs have fallen to only 5,500 rpm (i.e., the revs are above the perfect rev match) or being slow on the 1-2 shift and dropping into 2nd when the revs have fallen all the way down to 3,500 rpm (i.e., the revs are below the perfect rev match)?
Old 02-20-2022, 11:33 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

I was on the service road with a friend behind me on the phone. I saw the mileage and told him I'm slowing for a picture. I stepped on the clutch while in 4th as I slowed up for the picture.

Individual setting: This gets me the most aggressive setting for PTV rear differential, and the aggressive dynamic engine mount of Sport Plus, while keeping the quicker throttle mapping from Sport. Then I manually turn off the SPASM shocks with center console switch because NY roads suck. Truth be told, so far I can't tell the difference on the PTV or Dynamic engine mount, but the roads are cold and the car isn't broken in yet.

Picture

Individual. Must be a GTS thing?

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-20-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:33 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

In terms of wear on the synchromesh, both are probably equally bad. And of course a perfect shift at 4500 would not require a clutch at all. However in terms of vehicle dynamics, I would think it's better to shift in at 5500 because you won't be transferring the weight from acceleration to deceleration and back to acceleration.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:34 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Picture

Indiv. Must be a GTS thing?
I assumed it was a Sport Chrono thing.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member