Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Python Green Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:34 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Here’s a pic of a Python car that got posted in the 992 forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warren99:
chub2000 (10-26-2020), Jim Rockford (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Not sure I can justify another $10k for PTS over Python. Really digging the pics.
The following users liked this post:
Rahtok (10-26-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
History has to start somewhere. It’s not like the Big Bang birthed a rock face with the list of PTS colors on it.
But, as you said a few responses up, Python looks like 'just green', 'like when paint was paint.' I agree with that, it's just a green, a dead-on green tree python green. Nothing really special about it like some of the PTS greens, which are more complex IMO. Which is fine, because color is subjective and just because something is PTS doesn't mean everyone will like it. When I look at a car in Python, it looks like a green you'd get if you went down to Home Depot and asked for 'green paint'.
evilfij (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:10 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But, as you said a few responses up, Python looks like 'just green', 'like when paint was paint.' I agree with that, it's just a green, a dead-on green tree python green. Nothing really special about it like some of the PTS greens, which are more complex IMO. Which is fine, because color is subjective and just because something is PTS doesn't mean everyone will like it. When I look at a car in Python, it looks like a green you'd get if you went down to Home Depot and asked for 'green paint'.
Home Depot Green...lol; I agree 100%!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

we get it, you don't like Python Green. No need to keep poo-pooing it, as many of us do like it. And FWIW, when I Google "Green Tree Python" that you keep referencing, this is what shows up. I don't think you can definitively say that it's the same color, because they vary widely.

Ron

9872SpeedYellowCS (10-20-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

ha! But that’s just it, it’s so uncool that it’s cool. To me the simplicity is what makes it special in a world of paints that are trying hard to stand out. I would have to see Python in person but I am now starting to favour it over Lizard and I was very impressed with Lizard when I saw it. An endless debate for sure. Eagerly awaiting more owner photos of Python in Spyders and GT4s.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Sounds like you're just having second thoughts about ordering silver. Don't worry, it'll pass. Silver is a great color -- you'll get used to it in no time.
ronbauer (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 920 Posts

Now that I have seeing the color, on a car, in person, most of the photos posted, including mine, show the green muted, soft.......it's more vivid and bright in person....really happy with my choice.
evilfij (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 11:43 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

That's like me saying Mint Green on a GT3 is like going down to the local Baskin-Robbins. I and a lot of people don't like that color but the local dealer ordered a 991.2 GT3 with matching roll bar!
Ended up a long time on the showroom and was later sold bellow MSRP...I can imagine the owner justifying the color: "Ohhh but it's a Special Color, PTS which is hard to get and another $13K!"....still ugly to me.
All colors are special for their owner, unless you choose a color for the next owner. All Porsche Greens are great (except Mint Green IMO)...love them all, same goes for Oranges.
But saying a color is not special....hmmmm...well that's like your opinion.

Last edited by jmartpr; 10-17-2020 at 11:46 AM.
evilfij (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I've heard PG described as more pastel like. Still a bright green but a little muted and softer in the hue whereas Viper Green is just bright and green. Wondering if PG as it relates to VG is the same as how Riviera Blue is softer than Mexico Blue?

I do like the combo on the Turbo. I think the greens complement each other nicely. If I didn't have the PG to compare the LG seatbelts to, I would say the LG looks like a nice green but with your seatbelt and door jam/area comparison, you can see that LG is a little more yellow or a lighter green, at least to me.

Seeing this combo, I wish someone would have ordered Miami Blue or one of the other bright blue colors like Riviera Blue, Mexico Blue, or Voodoo Blue with Speed Blue interior stitching to see how that combo would look like.
You could say that.....a bit muted, softer but still a proper green. My photos turn out bad so they look lighter, less intense, at least on my screen.
Lizard is definitely lighter/brighter, more yellow but the combo looks great as long as you don't go crazy with interior areas in Lizard Green (like seat centers that were available on the GT3RS)
I have seen Mexico in person and love it! You could say Miami is like PG when compared to Mexico
evilfij (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 01:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Anyone who says there are good colors and bad colors is a racist. Color is the most personal choice and does not impact performance or functionality like other options. There are no wrong answers. I even like the Superman, McDonald, and Christmas color combos.

The biggest issue with new colors (and PTS) is describing them to those who have not seen them (I took a flyer on a PTS I had never seen in person, as pictures are not the same as in person. I am very much looking forward to seeing Python in person.

Last edited by evilfij; 10-17-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Any Spyder or GT4 owners out there with Python yet? There’s that (very nice) GT4 dealer photo but it looks a bit forced. Curious to see some more casual photos of this colour by owners. Already have my car (Carrara) but very interested to see more of python as green is my favourite colour.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:50 PM
chub2000
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Python looks very similar to Viper Green and that is the most desirable color on the 997 GT3 RS. At one point they were selling for over $300k while "regular colors" were around half that price.
Python will definitely be a rare color due to people's hesitant feelings about it, but it may end up being the most desirable in the long run..
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by chub2000
Python looks very similar to Viper Green and that is the most desirable color on the 997 GT3 RS. At one point they were selling for over $300k while "regular colors" were around half that price.
Python will definitely be a rare color due to people's hesitant feelings about it, but it may end up being the most desirable in the long run..
+1
Historically epic colors have never been particularly desirable when ordered. It's always easiest and safest to just order silver.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
chub2000 (10-26-2020), ronbauer (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chub2000
The 997.1 was not viper green, it was “green” often called “RS Green,” but now on the PTS list as just “green.”

There are some pictures on RL comparing viper, green, signal green (both formulations) and pure green which are all similar but have noticeable differences. Python seems to be in that family to my eyes, but I won’t know until I see it in person.
The following 2 users liked this post by evilfij:
Rahtok (10-27-2020), wdr911 (10-28-2020)

Quick Reply: The Official Python Green Color Thread