Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Ok, back to stock exhaust now, with the Soul valve controller still in place. While better to my "sensitive" ears, there is still an unpleasant drone somewhere in the high 2k-3k range. Not as loud now, but it's still there. Tried opening valves full time, and back to stock valve function several times on the way home in heavy around town traffic, so couldn't watch the tach like I would have. I think I know why Porsche chose to open/close/open the exhaust valves. It's the annoying in-cabin sounds when valves forced open in the normal valves closed rpm range. For me, at only 500 mi, all stock sounds best to my ears. Still waiting for the Soul valved exhaust to be built. Will decide if I want to try it when that time comes in several wks. I would like to have a higher pitched sound more reminiscent of my 981 Cayman S, but can't tolerate much in-cabin resonance. Who knows, maybe the perfect exhaust for me is the Soul valved exhaust operating the the stock open/close/open configuration!
Goodwood, did you get the rear section yet?
Old 09-05-2021, 10:50 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Goodwood, did you get the rear section yet?
Yessiree! Running stock front (Headers), and midsection (GPF), with Soul Valved Exhaust+Valve Controller, and Symposer removed and holes plugged. Drone is minimal @2k, and the sound is sweet, just loud(er) enough for me. When it gets to 4k and above, it just sings!
The only problem I am having is this super annoying steering wheel vibration between exactly 2400 and 2800 rpms, It's very noticeable in Sport mode w/valves forced open. John tell me he's never heard of anyone else complaining about that. I need to take it back in for an inspection to see if anything's touching or rubbing against the body or anywhere else. And, sure the obvious workaround is don't stay in that limited rpm range, but that's a PIA when cruising in town traffic with fairly frequent shifting. I dunno, it's a weird mystery right now.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Yessiree! Running stock front (Headers), and midsection (GPF), with Soul Valved Exhaust+Valve Controller, and Symposer removed and holes plugged. Drone is minimal @2k, and the sound is sweet, just loud(er) enough for me. When it gets to 4k and above, it just sings!
The only problem I am having is this super annoying steering wheel vibration between exactly 2400 and 2800 rpms, It's very noticeable in Sport mode w/valves forced open. John tell me he's never heard of anyone else complaining about that. I need to take it back in for an inspection to see if anything's touching or rubbing against the body or anywhere else. And, sure the obvious workaround is don't stay in that limited rpm range, but that's a PIA when cruising in town traffic with fairly frequent shifting. I dunno, it's a weird mystery right now.
Hmm, that is weird let us know what you find out. For the drone, does it show up valves open and closed? Glad you like the tone!, from the vids it has that nice blended higher pitched tone.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:14 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Pardon my question, but this is a massive thread to search.

Assuming the PSE (Porsche Stock Exhaust) valves are always set to the open position, after installing only the SOUL OAP (Over Axel Pipes), about how much HP gain might I reasonably expect?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulywanacracker
Pardon my question, but this is a massive thread to search.

Assuming the PSE (Porsche Stock Exhaust) valves are always set to the open position, after installing only the SOUL OAP (Over Axel Pipes), about how much HP gain might I reasonably expect?
Pauly, You REALLY should read the thread!

FWIW, PSE: Porsche Sport Exhaust. Also unless you have a valve controller the valves close from about 1800-4000 RPM.

Reports on HP increases vary but with OAP delete alone, perhaps 3-8 HP

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-12-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Alipapa
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am collect my spyder next week.

Do I need to have the ECU tuned if I want to replace the OAP (Hong Kong car)?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alipapa
I am collect my spyder next week.

Do I need to have the ECU tuned if I want to replace the OAP (Hong Kong car)?
Only if your Porsche has monitored GPF... otherwise no.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Alipapa
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Only if your Porsche has monitored GPF... otherwise no.
THX, so if see there is sensor connected to the OPF then I need 3rd party to tune the ECU, correct? Can it be done by PIWIS?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alipapa
THX, so if see there is sensor connected to the OPF then I need 3rd party to tune the ECU, correct? Can it be done by PIWIS?
That's correct, if you see sensors then removing the GPF may require an ECU tune, I don't think that you can modify any setting with the PIWIS to compensate. All of the 718 4.0l cars have the same exhaust, if you see one in the wild the GPF and the sensor is viewable from behind, you can actually see the blank spot on the GPF if it has no sensor.

EDIT: add a picture showing non-monitored GPF and where the sensors would be located if they were monitored.

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-12-2021 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alipapa (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Pauly, You REALLY should read the thread!

FWIW, PSE: Porsche Sport Exhaust. Also unless you have a valve controller the valves close from about 1800-4000 RPM.

Reports on HP increases vary but with OAP delete alone, perhaps 3-8 HP

I appreciate the encouragement to read this Tome of a thread.

I have actually read most of the most important bits, so I have most of my questions answered, bit I rely on you thread pros to help me get to the end game.

I really like SOUL comp OAP, but I am leaning towards Cargraphic Exhaust Control Valve, mainly because it's less invasive, even though massively overpriced. Yea, Yea, I know it's easy and re-convertible, but that is my preference. Convince me otherwise

I have a question:

When using the Cargraphic wireless transponder to connect to the Home-Link above the rear view mirror...

Since I desire to purchase the (3) mode model (Sport, Comfort, Automatic), will one button work to advance thorough all (3) setting? Or, must I use all (3) Home-Link buttons "each individually 1-2-3" for each of the (3) modes? So that there are no remaining buttons to program my garage doors?

Or does the Home-Link work just like the (included transponder) and utilize only (1) needed button, on my Home-Link system?

Old 09-13-2021, 02:37 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Since I desire to purchase the (3) mode model (Sport, Comfort, Automatic), will one button work to advance thorough all (3) setting? Or, must I use all (3) Home-Link buttons "each individually 1-2-3" for each of the (3) modes? So that there are no remaining buttons to program my garage doors?

Or does the Home-Link work just like the (included transponder) and utilize only (1) needed button, on my Home-Link system?
Each HL button will be assigned to one function/mode. You can't toggle through functions with only one homelink button programmed.
Also maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the benefit of the 3 mode one for 100 EUR more. I have the 2 mode controller. You have either always open or PSE default, which you then control with the regular button on the center console. PSE off means valves always closed, and PSE on means activated with the stupid 1800-4000 RPM closing. This way you only use 2 of the 3 HL buttons and leave one free for your garage door opener

Last edited by tdlondon; 09-13-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Each HL button will be assigned to one function/mode. You can't toggle through functions with only one homelink button programmed.
Also maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the benefit of the 3 mode one for 100 EUR more. I have the 2 mode controller. You have either always open or PSE default, which you then control with the regular button on the center console. PSE off means valves always closed, and PSE on means activated with the stupid 1800-4000 RPM closing. This way you only use 2 of the 3 HL buttons and leave one free for your garage door opener
The benefit of the 3 mode system (Part No. EXFLAPRCPO13) is as follows per the Cargraphic website:
  • SPORT mode: valves always open
  • COMFORT mode: valves always closed
  • AUTOMATIC mode: factory control is reactivated
Hence, the valves can remain in the closed position for 100% of the time, (best noise reduction, but not recommended under sustained high rpm load), whereas in Factory Automatic mode, they are 1st open upon start, then close between 1-5k rpm, and do not open until approximately after 5k rpm.

This is a European sound regulation that gets imposed upon other countries by cost prohibitive default. Also, used in Canada, for low noise race tracks, with overheating caution as a concern.

The 2 button unit (Part No. EXFLAPRCPO1) only has two modes....

- SPORT mode: valves always open
- AUTOMATIC mode: factory control is active

Obviously, The 2 mode unit has (2 buttons) and the 3 mode has (three buttons). Not always obvious from the website and minimal directions.

Programing can be placed anywhere on the Porsche HomeLink (3) button upper console. In the order of the (3) modes a driver so chooses to program. Example:

HL#1=Sport Always Open (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)
HL#2=Comfort Always Closed (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)
HL#3=Garage Door Opener or programed to Revert to Factory mode (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)

Any can be mixed and programed in any order of the three, but are constant on the (2 or 3 button) supplied remote.

As far as I know the above statements are correct sir.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:02 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

.....the valves can remain in the closed position for 100% of the time, (best noise reduction, but not recommended under sustained high rpm load)....Also, used in Canada, for low noise race tracks, with overheating caution as a concern.....
Sustained High rpm operation or overheating will not be a concern when the valves are 100% closed as long as the pipe diameter of the closed path is equal to or larger than the OAP pipe diameter. The valve closed path on most aftermarket rear muffler sections have smaller pipe diameter than the OAP pipe; however, I found an aftermarket exhaust with closed path pipe diameter as big as the OAP pipe so I don't think you will have any problem using that exhaust with valves 100% closed. The exhaust that I am speaking about is from a UK vendor called Ninemeister.... I am leaning toward getting this one unless there is another one out there that has larger closed path pipe diameter and an X-pipe design....

Last edited by lowbee; 09-13-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:13 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
Sustained High rpm operation or overheating will not be a concern when the valves are 100% closed as long as the pipe diameter of the closed path is equal to or larger than the OAP pipe diameter. The valve closed path on most aftermarket rear muffler sections have smaller pipe diameter than the OAP pipe; however, I found an aftermarket exhaust with closed path pipe diameter as big as the OAP pipe so I don't think you will have any problem using that exhaust with valves 100% closed. The exhaust that I am speaking about is from a UK vendor called Ninemeister.... I am leaning toward getting this one unless there is another one out there that has larger closed path pipe diameter and an X-pipe design....
I believe CG has 2.5" for both closed and open valve pathways, thus they can be ran in close position 100% of the time if desired.

Check this out
Old 09-14-2021, 08:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

If someone wants a deal on Soul Race Exhaust (resonated version) send me a PM. I would up with 2 of them (long story) and 1 is for me!

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development